[Today at 08:33:35 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:26:19 AM]

Incoming freshmen by We R Final Four
[Today at 06:19:00 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Its DJOver
[June 05, 2024, 02:41:31 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Cavs’ Kyrie Irving to Miss Rest of NBA Finals for Knee Surgery  (Read 25381 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Cavs’ Kyrie Irving to Miss Rest of NBA Finals for Knee Surgery
Cleveland Cavaliers point guard Kyrie Irving will miss the rest of the NBA Finals with a fractured left knee cap, and will have surgery that will require a recovery of three to four months, the team said Friday.  Irving limped off the court during overtime of last night’s Game 1 loss at the Golden State Warriors.

No Kevin Love and no now Kyrie ... series over, no way Cleveland wins.

79Warrior

• All American
Re: Cavs’ Kyrie Irving to Miss Rest of NBA Finals for Knee Surgery
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 05:40:04 PM »
Cavs’ Kyrie Irving to Miss Rest of NBA Finals for Knee Surgery
Cleveland Cavaliers point guard Kyrie Irving will miss the rest of the NBA Finals with a fractured left knee cap, and will have surgery that will require a recovery of three to four months, the team said Friday.  Irving limped off the court during overtime of last night’s Game 1 loss at the Golden State Warriors.

No Kevin Love and no now Kyrie ... series over, no way Cleveland wins.

They had their chance at the end of regulation. James launches a brick at the end and game and it goes to OT. Down goes Kyrie in OT, down goes the game and down go the Cavs in this series.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 05:54:00 PM »
The Cavs weren't winning the series anyways.

Thompson and Green couldn't have played any worse. Curry was "average" for himself. James, Irving, and Mosgov all played as well as they possibly could've played...and they still lost. It MIGHT have been a 5 game series with Irving. Now it's a sweep.

And the Cavs have been playing better without Love than when Love was in the lineup. Now Love would obviously help as a scorer without Irving. But the Warriors have been the best team in the NBA the entire year and made it to the Finals with just as much ease as the Cavs did...but they did it in the West.

PS, why in the world is this in Hanging at the Al?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 06:41:06 PM »
Here's an opportunity for James to prove his worth, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 07:13:46 PM »
It's really unfortunate.  While I am rooting for GS, a series against a fully loaded Cavs would have been nice. Losing two top players is simply too much to overcome.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 07:25:14 PM »
Is there a Marquette alum on the Cavs or Warriors that I don't know about?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 08:43:38 PM »

JB is a Cavalier asst. coach, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 10:09:24 PM »

It doesn't count that Chones used to play with the Cavs and Whitehead with the Warriors?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 10:42:02 PM »
I wanted to see a good series, so I'm bummed by this.

LeBron bricked that potential winner, as an earlier commenter said, but he has made more of a postseason run with less around him than has any great player in a long time.

Without Love and with Irving limping around, the Cavs were a lottery team if they had a "less-great" All-Star (say Carmelo, or Klay Thompson) rather than the greatest player in the world.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2015, 10:44:44 PM »
I wanted to see a good series, so I'm bummed by this.

LeBron bricked that potential winner, as an earlier commenter said, but he has made more of a postseason run with less around him than has any great player in a long time.

Without Love and with Irving limping around, the Cavs were a lottery team if they had a "less-great" All-Star (say Carmelo, or Klay Thompson) rather than the greatest player in the world.

Except that the Cavs weren't without Irving or Love for the regular season, so with Thompson or Carmelo instead of LeBron they're still a top 3 seed just like they were this year.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brandx

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2015, 11:33:20 PM »
Except that the Cavs weren't without Irving or Love for the regular season, so with Thompson or Carmelo instead of LeBron they're still a top 3 seed just like they were this year.

Not a chance.

Kevin Love is no Chris Bosh. Arguably the worst inside defender in the league who wants to chuck 3 pointers all day. That works fine if you play for a team that will never sniff the playoffs (Minnesota), but not so much on a good team. If I had a choice on a good team, I'd play Thompson more minutes than Love hands down. Thompson is a better rebounder & way, way better defender. And Love only averaged 6 pts. a game more than Thompson while taking way more shots.

But LeBron is so superior that they still had a chance to win it all until Kyrie went down.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2015, 11:54:11 PM »
Not a chance.

Kevin Love is no Chris Bosh. Arguably the worst inside defender in the league who wants to chuck 3 pointers all day. That works fine if you play for a team that will never sniff the playoffs (Minnesota), but not so much on a good team. If I had a choice on a good team, I'd play Thompson more minutes than Love hands down. Thompson is a better rebounder & way, way better defender. And Love only averaged 6 pts. a game more than Thompson while taking way more shots.

But LeBron is so superior that they still had a chance to win it all until Kyrie went down.

...the Cavs still had Tristian Thompson when Love was healthy.  Love got benched when it got down to crunch time when he was healthy as it was.  You really think a team with Mosgov, Thompson, Shumpert, a healthy Irving, a healthy Love, Smith, and a guy like Clay Thompson would be in the lottery?  In the Eastern Conference, no less?  I mean, we're all entitled to our opinions, but...
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 11:55:50 PM by wadesworld »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2015, 07:05:14 AM »
Mosgov, Thompson, Shumpert and Smith are nothing but role players.  Irving and Love are good, but neither were in the playoffs prior to this year.  Lottery?  Perhaps not, but they wouldn't be very good.

Lebron really is that good.

brandx

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2015, 10:41:03 AM »
...the Cavs still had Tristian Thompson when Love was healthy.  Love got benched when it got down to crunch time when he was healthy as it was.  You really think a team with Mosgov, Thompson, Shumpert, a healthy Irving, a healthy Love, Smith, and a guy like Clay Thompson would be in the lottery?  In the Eastern Conference, no less?  I mean, we're all entitled to our opinions, but...

You misunderstood me, Wades.

I didn't say they'd be in the lottery with Carmelo instead of Lebron. I said they wouldn't be a top 3 seed.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2015, 12:23:21 PM »
You misunderstood me, Wades.

I didn't say they'd be in the lottery with Carmelo instead of Lebron. I said they wouldn't be a top 3 seed.

Mosgov, Thompson, Shumpert and Smith are nothing but role players.  Irving and Love are good, but neither were in the playoffs prior to this year.  Lottery?  Perhaps not, but they wouldn't be very good.

Lebron really is that good.

Yes, LeBron is that good. But you have a "big 3" of a health Love, a healthy Irving, and a guy like Klay Thompson and you don't need anything more than "just role players." Those 3 with Tristian Thompson, Mosgov, Smith, and Shumpert can defend inside and on the perimeter, can rebound the heck out of the ball, and can spread the floor offensively and knock down the 3. There is no way in hell that the Raptors, Wizards, Bucks, Celtics, or Nets finish above the Cavs this year if the Cavs trot out a starting lineup of Irving, Smith, Thompson, Love, and Mosgov and bring in Thristian Thompson and Shumpert off the bench. They are absolutely a top 3 team in the East. The East is a complete joke, and that'd still be the best "Big 3" (Wall, Beal, Gortat or Butler, Rose, Gasol are the only 2 close, but Irving and Wall cancel out, Klay is better than Beal, Love better than Gortat and Irving better than Rose, Butler and Klay cancel out, and Pau maybe a hair better than Love)  in the East, with a solid supporting cast. The Cavs would still be the 2 seed and still be a better team than the Hawks, in my opinion.

Now, take LeBron off the team and don't replace him with anyone? Then sure, they're probably a 6 seed.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 12:27:24 PM by wadesworld »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2015, 12:32:10 PM »
Yes, LeBron is that good. But you have a "big 3" of a health Love, a healthy Irving, and a guy like Klay Thompson and you don't need anything more than "just role players." Those 3 with Tristian Thompson, Mosgov, Smith, and Shumpert can defend inside and on the perimeter, can rebound the heck out of the ball, and can spread the floor offensively and knock down the 3. There is no way in hell that the Raptors, Wizards, Bucks, Celtics, or Nets finish above the Cavs this year if the Cavs trot out a starting lineup of Irving, Smith, Thompson, Love, and Mosgov and bring in Thristian Thompson and Shumpert off the bench. They are absolutely a top 3 team in the East. The East is a complete joke, and that'd still be the best "Big 3" (Wall, Beal, Gortat or Butler, Rose, Gasol are the only 2 close, but Irving and Wall cancel out, Clay is better than Beal, Love better than Gortat and Irving better than Rose, Butler and Clay cancel out, and Pau maybe a hair better than Love)  in the East, with a solid supporting cast. The Cavs would still be the 2 seed and still be a better team than the Hawks, in my opinion.

Now, take LeBron off the team and don't replace him with anyone? Then sure, they're probably a 6 seed.

So you think that if you replace Lebron James with Klay Thompson, they would only move down from a #2 seed to a #3 seed?  Do I have that right?

I personally think you are completely overrating players like Mozgov, Smith and Shumpert.  They are the equivalent of Joel Anthony, Norris Cole and Mario Chalmers from the Heat teams from the past four years.  You know...that Heat team that went from the #1 seed and the NBA playoffs to out of the playoffs completely (in the East) after Lebron left.  Klay Thompson is good, but he's not just-one-step-lower-than-Lebron good.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2015, 01:24:26 PM »

So you think that if you replace Lebron James with Klay Thompson, they would only move down from a #2 seed to a #3 seed?  Do I have that right?

I personally think you are completely overrating players like Mozgov, Smith and Shumpert.  They are the equivalent of Joel Anthony, Norris Cole and Mario Chalmers from the Heat teams from the past four years.  You know...that Heat team that went from the #1 seed and the NBA playoffs to out of the playoffs completely (in the East) after Lebron left.  Klay Thompson is good, but he's not just-one-step-lower-than-Lebron good.

Yes, I think that is right. Mosgov, Smith, and Shumpert are a ton better than Cole, Chalmers, and Anthony. Better shooters, better defenders, and more athletic.

Who do you think would surpass the Cavs in the East?

Also, complete apples to oranges comparison. Wade is a year older and he's not getting better with age, plus he only played in 66 games, Bosh played in 44 games this season, and the Heat didn't add a Klay Thompson to replace LeBron. And they nearly made the Playoffs despite all that. If you have a healthy Bosh, a healthy Wade, and add Klay Thompson then I think the Heat are by far better than the Bucks (the 6 seed). Take into account that at this point in their careers Kyrie is better than Wade, Love is better than Bosh, and the Cavs supporting cast is head and shoulders better than the Heat's and I don't see any way you can compare those situations.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 01:30:50 PM by wadesworld »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2015, 04:57:32 PM »
Yes, I think that is right. Mosgov, Smith, and Shumpert are a ton better than Cole, Chalmers, and Anthony. Better shooters, better defenders, and more athletic.

I completely disagree.  All six of these guys are simply role players without Lebron.

Who do you think would surpass the Cavs in the East?

Chicago, Atlanta, Milwaukee, Toronto and Washington.  Probably Indiana and maybe even Brooklyn.

Also, complete apples to oranges comparison. Wade is a year older and he's not getting better with age, plus he only played in 66 games, Bosh played in 44 games this season, and the Heat didn't add a Klay Thompson to replace LeBron. And they nearly made the Playoffs despite all that. If you have a healthy Bosh, a healthy Wade, and add Klay Thompson then I think the Heat are by far better than the Bucks (the 6 seed). Take into account that at this point in their careers Kyrie is better than Wade, Love is better than Bosh, and the Cavs supporting cast is head and shoulders better than the Heat's and I don't see any way you can compare those situations.

You are overrating Klay Thompson.  He's not good enough to play the role you are expecting him to.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2015, 05:30:24 PM »
I completely disagree.  All six of these guys are simply role players without Lebron.

Right.  But not every "simple role player" is the same.  Shumpert is probably the worst of the Cav's 3 role players listed, and Chamlers?  Maybe Cole?  Would be the Heat's best.  Neither of those guys are as good as Iman Shumpert.  So the Cavs would have the 3 best role players.

And again, it's a complete apples to oranges comparison.  Wade played under 80% of the Heat's games.  Bosh played just over 50% of the Heat's games.  Klay Thompson played 0% of the Heat's games.  The Heat STILL missed the Playoffs by just ONE game.

Chicago, Atlanta, Milwaukee, Toronto and Washington.  Probably Indiana and maybe even Brooklyn.

Wow.  That is absurd.  You really think a lineup of MCW, Middleton, Giannis, Ersan, and Henson (or Zaza if you wish) would be better than a lineup of Kyrie, JR Smith, Klay, Love, and Mosgov?  The Bucks would have the advantage at one position (shooting guard) and that is it.  In both an entire regular season and in a Playoff series the Cavs would fare much better than the Bucks.  Milwaukee wouldn't even be better than the Cavs if you just removed LBJ from the Cavs and replaced him with nobody.  Love and Irving are head and shoulders above anybody on the Bucks team.  Anybody below the Bucks at that point really shouldn't be mentioned.

You are overrating Klay Thompson.  He's not good enough to play the role you are expecting him to.

Klay would be the 2nd best player on the Cavs and a top 5 player in the Eastern Conference.  Klay was the 9th leading scorer in the NBA.  Take LBJ out of the league and that makes him 8th.  I'm not sure what role you think I'm expecting him to fill, but I think he would be plenty capable of filling the role that I think he could fill considering he is filling that role as we speak.  He would have to do absolutely nothing more than what he does in GS in order for the Cavs to remain a top 3 team in the East.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 05:34:43 PM by wadesworld »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2015, 08:13:57 PM »
Well, I guess I will simply say I disagree with your assessment of the Cavs talent, and will no longer bother you with my absurd opinions.

brandx

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2015, 10:23:20 PM »

Klay would be the 2nd best player on the Cavs and a top 5 player in the Eastern Conference.  Klay was the 9th leading scorer in the NBA.  Take LBJ out of the league and that makes him 8th.  I'm not sure what role you think I'm expecting him to fill, but I think he would be plenty capable of filling the role that I think he could fill considering he is filling that role as we speak.  He would have to do absolutely nothing more than what he does in GS in order for the Cavs to remain a top 3 team in the East.

Klay would not score as big on most teams. GS runs a very up tempo offense. Much different offense in Cleveland.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2015, 10:46:24 PM »
Klay would not score as big on most teams. GS runs a very up tempo offense. Much different offense in Cleveland.

LeBron James averages 19 shot attempts per game.  Some of those would go to Kyrie, Love, and even JR and Shumpert, but those shots have to go somewhere.  And it's not like anybody can really play a slow it down style in the NBA with a 24 second shot clock.  Sure, his scoring may dip a little bit, but they could also rise with him being the best shooter on the team (as opposed to 2nd best like he is on GS).

Really, it doesn't matter.  It's all theoretical and the real answer is "nobody knows."  I just think that the NBA is entirely star driven, and if you put Kyrie, Love, and Klay Thompson on one team in the Eastern Conference there are no better "Big 3s" than that in the East.  And that will take you quite far.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 10:49:29 PM by wadesworld »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2015, 07:59:20 PM »
I don't think there's a team in the league that Klay wouldn't average 20 ppg on. He shoots it like Steve Novak and is almost as tall but is athletic and can defend. 3rd Team All NBA.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2015, 10:28:51 PM »
I guess the Cavs do have a chance even without Irving.

Steph Curry shot the ball like Curry Kirkpatrick tonight.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brandx

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2015, 10:32:45 PM »
If the cavs win this series (which I don't think they will), Lebron moves into the conversation for 2nd greatest player ever with Kareem & Bill Russell.

feedback