collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Cavs’ Kyrie Irving to Miss Rest of NBA Finals for Knee Surgery  (Read 25209 times)

MUeng

• All American
Re: Cavs’ Kyrie Irving to Miss Rest of NBA Finals for Knee Surgery
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2015, 10:37:25 PM »
If the cavs win this series (which I don't think they will), Lebron moves into the conversation for 2nd greatest player ever with Kareem & Bill Russell.
so hard to compare through the generations but for my money he's already the second best of all-time.  conversation on best ever at a later date but I think we'll ultimately have it. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2015, 11:10:15 PM »
If The Cavs win this series, LeBron is the greatest player of all time....homers can suck it.

No way in hell Jordan could lead his team to the NBA title missing about 35 points from the starting lineup, including the starting point guard against the clear best team in the league all season long.

Unlikely to happen, but I don't recall Jordan ever having to go through this type of adversity.  One year in one game he had a bad cold.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2015, 05:23:26 AM »
The Cavs stole a game in GS.   That is the goal of any team without home court advantage.   Lebron is putting up video game numbers (though he is still missing a ton of shots).   He is already in the 'all-time' conversations.  Kerr needs to exploit his biggest advantage, his depth.   BTW, it is genuinely fun to watch Curry.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2015, 07:56:57 AM »
The Cavs stole a game in GS.   That is the goal of any team without home court advantage.   Lebron is putting up video game numbers (though he is still missing a ton of shots).   He is already in the 'all-time' conversations.  Kerr needs to exploit his biggest advantage, his depth.   BTW, it is genuinely fun to watch Curry.

And they came about 0.25" (Shumpert's shot at the buzzer at the end of regulation in game 1) from stealing both of them.  Damn!

Like you said, the goal of the road team is to steal one of the two games.  Mission accomplished.  The Cavs still have a serious uphill battle ahead of them, but at least there is hope that they'll make it a respectable and fun series.

I think it's a shame that some people are so invested in saying Michael Jordan was the best ever (I think he was), that they feel a need to try to knock Lebron down to protect MJ's legacy.  It doesn't need protecting.  Lebron is incredible, and people (even MJ fans) should just enjoy and appreciate watching him play.

And I agree about Curry.  Golden State is a very likable team and I think I'd probably be rooting for them against anyone other than the Cavs.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2015, 08:10:07 AM »
If The Cavs win this series, LeBron is the greatest player of all time....homers can suck it.

This is correct. If he can win a title with this sorry bunch around him it would be unbelievable. It won't happen, but the fact they managed to win a road game in the series should be causing people to bow down before him.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2015, 08:20:09 AM »
Michael, Magic and LeBron. Not necessarily in that order.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2015, 08:21:03 AM »
The Cavs stole a game in GS.   That is the goal of any team without home court advantage.   Lebron is putting up video game numbers (though he is still missing a ton of shots).   He is already in the 'all-time' conversations.  Kerr needs to exploit his biggest advantage, his depth.   BTW, it is genuinely fun to watch Curry.

Lebron is missing a lot of shots, but he doesn't have many good choices.  Shumpert and Dellavedova finally hit something in overtime, but JR Smith is a sack of garbage.  Seriously, Lebron might win a title with a backcourt whose regulars include JR Smith, Iman Shumpert and Mathew Dellavedova.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2015, 08:21:53 AM »

I love Magic, but his defense was terrible compared to the other two. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2015, 08:25:28 AM »
I don't think the Cavs win this series.   However, if they do, can anyone name another team that won a championship that was so dominated by one player and with such a weak surrounding cast?   This would catapult Lebron up the 'all time' lists. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2015, 08:49:01 AM »

I love Magic, but his defense was terrible compared to the other two. 

I agree. I guess I'd argue that Magic did so much so well offensively that it overcame his relative shortcomings defensively.

Obviously, several others deserve mention in any "greatest hoopster ever" argument, but I have come to the realization that LeBron has moved up to the point where he'd be on my Bkb Mount Rushmore.

My fourth? Ooh, that's a tough one? Russell and, for the most part Chamberlain, were before my time as a fan so while I know they were great I didn't get to "experience" them. Bird? Maybe. Kobe or Shaq? Nah. Kornel David? Now we're talkin'!

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2015, 08:49:58 AM »

Unlikely to happen, but I don't recall Jordan ever having to go through this type of adversity.  One year in one game he had a bad cold.

That Michael Jordan.... what a bum.   Is it fair to say now that he was a bust?

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2015, 08:59:36 AM »
I have no doubt if you insert Magic, Jordan and James in different eras they would have dominated in much the same manner they did in their respective eras.

I say that because you can't insert today's stats into yesterday's game and vice versa and declare one is better than the other.   James in the 1980s would have developed the way players did during that period and would have been on a team created under the basketball economics of the time as would Magic been under today's conditions if he was playing today.  All dominate(d) their eras but the era has also shaped how their skills developed and implemented.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2015, 09:11:43 AM »
I agree. I guess I'd argue that Magic did so much so well offensively that it overcame his relative shortcomings defensively.

Obviously, several others deserve mention in any "greatest hoopster ever" argument, but I have come to the realization that LeBron has moved up to the point where he'd be on my Bkb Mount Rushmore.

My fourth? Ooh, that's a tough one? Russell and, for the most part Chamberlain, were before my time as a fan so while I know they were great I didn't get to "experience" them. Bird? Maybe. Kobe or Shaq? Nah. Kornel David? Now we're talkin'!

Magic
Jordan
Lebron
Duncan
Chamberlain

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2015, 09:12:35 AM »

No way in hell Jordan could lead his team to the NBA title missing about 35 points from the starting lineup, including the starting point guard against the clear best team in the league all season long.

You hate the NBA, you don't even watch the NBA, yet you have strong opinions on the NBA. Do you review movies you don't see and book you don't read, too?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2015, 09:16:55 AM »
I think the Jordan comparisons are unfair.  Lebron isn't Michael Jordan, who was a pure 2-guard.  Lebron can't really be defined by position.  He can play point, wing, post up power forward.  He clearly isn't as good a shooter as Jordan, but he's got parts of his game that Jordan didn't have either. 

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2015, 09:18:57 AM »

Magic
Jordan
Lebron
Duncan
Chamberlain

Why doesn't anyone remember the all time leading scorer in NBA history

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2015, 09:20:00 AM »

That Michael Jordan.... what a bum.   Is it fair to say now that he was a bust?

Never said it, not sure why you are.  He is one of the greatest players of all-time.  

LeBron and Magic are the only two that could play all five positions effectively if needed.  LeBron is one of the few that has taken total stiffs to the finals....twice.  I don't expect them to win this, I won't be watching either.  I did see some of the highlights last night....for those that love the officiating in the NBA, that was dreadful at the end in the highlights I saw.  Dreadful.

http://deadspin.com/lebron-james-played-the-best-kind-of-hero-ball-1709774673
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 09:25:09 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2015, 09:26:43 AM »
I'm a huge fan of LeBron's game. He's in the team photo for the best ever. That said, it wasn't so much his brilliance that stole game 2 as it was Golden State's ineptness. I don't think hitting 11 out of 35 from the field and missing a game winning lay up at the end of regulation enhances his reputation. Golden State was awful, and Curry was God-awful, all world awful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2015, 09:28:44 AM »
Why doesn't anyone remember the all time leading scorer in NBA history

I remember him.  Played a long time with a lot of great players.  Cracks my top 10, but not my top five.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2015, 10:34:56 AM »

I remember him.  Played a long time with a lot of great players.  Cracks my top 10, but not my top five.

Agreed. The all-time hits leader isn't one of my top 5 ballplayers of all-time, and the all-time rushing leader isn't in my top 5 football players of all-time, either.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2015, 11:43:46 AM »
Agreed. The all-time hits leader isn't one of my top 5 ballplayers of all-time, and the all-time rushing leader isn't in my top 5 football players of all-time, either.

Hell, the all-time points leader at MU wouldn't be in my top 25 players in MU history.

brandx

« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2015, 11:52:06 AM »

I always had Michael clearly #1. Then Kareem as 2 .

I had Lebron in the mix for top 5 with Russell, Magic, Bird, Wilt & Duncan. If they win the series, I would probably put him as #2.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2015, 08:56:02 AM »
Never said it, not sure why you are.  He is one of the greatest players of all-time.  

LeBron and Magic are the only two that could play all five positions effectively if needed.  LeBron is one of the few that has taken total stiffs to the finals....twice.  I don't expect them to win this, I won't be watching either.  I did see some of the highlights last night....for those that love the officiating in the NBA, that was dreadful at the end in the highlights I saw.  Dreadful.

http://deadspin.com/lebron-james-played-the-best-kind-of-hero-ball-1709774673

If we're going to call him the best ever if he takes a crappy team and wins with them, then he also has to be knocked when he takes a great team and loses with them.   Twice the Heat lost in the finals, and that team was outstanding.   Yes, the Spurs were great as well, but the Mavs were highly beatable.
I agree it's not fair to Lebron to compare them.  He is an amazing player.  Jordan just did the most important thing best, and that's win.  And he did it all the time.
I could even see an argument for taking Lebron for a season, but for a series, or even for a game, but don't think it's close.   It's a fun argument to have tho.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2015, 09:06:10 AM »

If we're going to call him the best ever if he takes a crappy team and wins with them, then he also has to be knocked when he takes a great team and loses with them.   Twice the Heat lost in the finals, and that team was outstanding.   Yes, the Spurs were great as well, but the Mavs were highly beatable.
I agree it's not fair to Lebron to compare them.  He is an amazing player.  Jordan just did the most important thing best, and that's win.  And he did it all the time.
I could even see an argument for taking Lebron for a season, but for a series, or even for a game, but don't think it's close.   It's a fun argument to have tho.

Jordan competed in a league totally different than today's league.  He never took a bunch of stiffs to the Finals.  ESPN did a whole show on the radio yesterday about this, they agreed it wasn't close....the other way.  They felt Jordan had way more talent with him every stretch of the way for every title.

Jordan was in this position before, and he could never get by the Celtics or Pistons.  If it's all about winning, well Bill Russell destroys Jordan.

I realize the Chicago homers are going ballistic right now....save it.  Jordan is one of if not the greatest player to play the game.  Hard to compare eras or positions.  Teammates matter.  Lebron is doing something Jordan never did.  Jordan has done things LeBron never did. 

I don't think he has the gas in the tank to pull this off and some of the absolute scrubs will fold, but just getting there this far is a testament to how great the player is.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2015, 10:04:10 AM »
I have to agree with chico's.  (the agony).  Jordan is one of the greats, if not the greatest.   Certainly in the conversation.   But when he was surrounded by stiffs like this, he couldn't get out of the first round.   (Brad Sellers, anyone?)    To say that if Lebron wins with this cast would be one of the greatest achievements ever does nothing to tear down Jordan.    Jordan's place in the pantheon is secure.  This isn't some zero-sum game  where praising Lebron = diminishing Mike.