[April 30, 2024, 11:37:53 PM]

Shaka interview by Jay Bee
[April 30, 2024, 09:36:41 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[April 30, 2024, 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 30, 2024, 02:09:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2015-16 NFC North/NFL Thread  (Read 14368 times)

Sir Lawrence

• All American
Re: 2015-16 NFC North/NFL Thread
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2015, 07:54:59 PM »
Really thought Bears would go defense with first pick.
Ludum habemus.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2015, 07:56:28 PM »
Trade down or get Collins. Bears screw it up again. So tired of the Bears drafts.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2015, 10:06:58 PM »
Love the Packers pick, was really hoping Bears would take Randall in Rd 2.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2015, 10:48:24 PM »
Trade down or get Collins. Bears screw it up again. So tired of the Bears drafts.

What's the problem with the White pick?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2015, 10:55:04 PM »
What's the problem with the White pick?

Dont think hes worth 7th overall. Bears need defense, theyve needed a safety for the past decade and still have not addressed the problem.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2015, 11:22:22 PM »

What if they can still get Landon Collins tomorrow?

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2015, 12:03:58 AM »
Dont think hes worth 7th overall. Bears need defense, theyve needed a safety for the past decade and still have not addressed the problem.

So let me get this straight....You're saying White is not worth the #7 pick in the draft yet you're advocating that they should have taken a safety who didn't go in the first round?  Makes perfect sense. 

Picking for need at #7 is not the way to go.  You pick best player available and if that coincides with a need, even better.  And after the Marshall trade the Bears needed a WR. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2015, 05:24:47 AM »
Detroit gets two potential starters to protect their most valuable asset.....  Matt Stafford.     Although I am guessing that Ramirez is going to be a back-up at all 3 interior positions. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2015, 07:48:19 AM »
Love the Packers pick, was really hoping Bears would take Randall in Rd 2.

It does seem like he has a ton of upside.  I'm happy with the pick.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2015, 08:19:11 AM »
It does seem like he has a ton of upside.  I'm happy with the pick.

Seems a little undersized to me. 
Ludum habemus.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2015, 08:21:18 AM »
5'11, 195.  Not terrible. He will fill out his frame more. That's one of the reasons they want him at cornerback and not safety

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2015, 08:27:35 AM »
So let me get this straight....You're saying White is not worth the #7 pick in the draft yet you're advocating that they should have taken a safety who didn't go in the first round?  Makes perfect sense. 

Picking for need at #7 is not the way to go.  You pick best player available and if that coincides with a need, even better.  And after the Marshall trade the Bears needed a WR. 

Furthermore, it's not as though the Bears are going anywhere next year anyway.  (Maybe an outside shot at a Wild Card, but that's about it.)  Rebuilding is a multi-year process.  Not done in just one year.  You start picking for need in round one of year one, and you are going to have problems.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2015, 08:31:06 AM »

All the candidates were somewhat undersized this year.  And remember, Ted is thinking slot CB in all likelihood.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2015, 08:33:04 AM »

Furthermore, it's not as though the Bears are going anywhere next year anyway.  (Maybe an outside shot at a Wild Card, but that's about it.)  Rebuilding is a multi-year process.  Not done in just one year.  You start picking for need in round one of year one, and you are going to have problems.

Picking for need is fool's gold, especially high in round 1.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2015, 08:36:00 AM »
All the candidates were somewhat undersized this year.  And remember, Ted is thinking slot CB in all likelihood.

He's the same size as Tramon, Shields and Hayward.  Ted seems to prefer speed, athleticism and ball-playing abilities versus height and physicality at the CB spot.

shiloh26

• Starter
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2015, 08:57:33 AM »

He's the same size as Tramon, Shields and Hayward.  Ted seems to prefer speed, athleticism and ball-playing abilities versus height and physicality at the CB spot.

It was somewhat surprising, as I feel the Packers have a surplus of slot CBs (Hyde and Hayward, now Randall), without a lot of depth of CBs to cover the outside.  Thompson must feel that Hayward can make that transition.  Or maybe I'm being too adherent to the slot/outside distinction. 

Anyway, in TT I trust, and I'm generally happy to have more versatile guys with good cover skills in the secondary as the league continues to be a passing league.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2015, 08:58:38 AM »
Thanks Sir Larry & Hairy for the kind thoughts, much appreciated. Glad to be talking football and not cancer!

I hated the Kevin White pick. To me, this is why self scouting yourself is as important as anything. The Bears aren't going anywhere this year or next (this is part of the reason I hated the Fox hire). They tried like hell to get rid of Cutler (he's gone after next year) and this will be Forte's last season. Why would you draft a kid that had one good year of college production, at a skill position? Especially in a draft deep with wideouts.

As soon as Leonard Williams dropped to six, I felt the Bears should have come up with a package for the Jets to consider. I have not heard that they had a conversation. This team needs to be gutted and built back up, I don't believe Kevin White will get you back to contending any sooner.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2015, 09:05:04 AM »
Not that I want to support Bears fans in anyway but.....all those talking trading back or trading up...that's nice in theory but you have to have trade partners and/or assets to do that.  The Bears don't have any real assets to trade up and there wasn't value at the #7 position to entice a team up to that spot and get the Bears anything.  They were stuck in a bad position.  I don't think the pick will work out, but I'm not sure what the viable alternatives were.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2015, 09:05:45 AM »
I hated the Kevin White pick. To me, this is why self scouting yourself is as important as anything. The Bears aren't going anywhere this year or next (this is part of the reason I hated the Fox hire). They tried like hell to get rid of Cutler (he's gone after next year) and this will be Forte's last season. Why would you draft a kid that had one good year of college production, at a skill position? Especially in a draft deep with wideouts.

As soon as Leonard Williams dropped to six, I felt the Bears should have come up with a package for the Jets to consider. I have not heard that they had a conversation. This team needs to be gutted and built back up, I don't believe Kevin White will get you back to contending any sooner.

Because they felt he was the best player available at 7.  Who knows if it will work out but I can't fault them for the decision making process.  

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2015, 09:19:31 AM »
Would have liked Vic Beasley, but figured there was a reason he was falling.

White scares me cause he was sort of the flavor of the week in the post season combines and workouts.  But after living through the early 2000s, its nice to see the Bears will potentially continue with strong WRs even with Marshall leaving

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2015, 09:41:34 AM »
Because they felt he was the best player available at 7.  Who knows if it will work out but I can't fault them for the decision making process.  
Agreed, they've got a long and ugly rebuild ahead of them, taking best available is the right way to go.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2015, 09:43:31 AM »
Not that I want to support Bears fans in anyway but.....all those talking trading back or trading up...that's nice in theory but you have to have trade partners and/or assets to do that.  The Bears don't have any real assets to trade up and there wasn't value at the #7 position to entice a team up to that spot and get the Bears anything.  They were stuck in a bad position.  I don't think the pick will work out, but I'm not sure what the viable alternatives were.

Why don't you think the pick will work out?

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2015, 10:01:43 AM »

Right. With as many holes as they have to fill, they just needed the guy they thought was best from all their time spent with these guys. They know they aren't going to win this year.  They aren't trying to build anything around Jay Cutler. No matter what the pick, it was for down the road.
I was most encouraged to hear that they were shopping Cutler and Bennett, just after they got rid of Marshall, because it shows that they are committed to changing the culture, which was really in the toilet.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2015, 10:25:10 AM »
Why don't you think the pick will work out?

Because he's a development pick.  He has raw talent but only a year of production under his belt.  He is going to a team with no locker room leadership I can determine, a QB that might as well have been the 2nd shooter on the grassy knoll, and a team deep in a multi-year rebuild.  I would have taken a player with potentially less upside but a more established record.

Maybe John Fox will develop the structure that will develop the kid but the environment he's going to doesn't seem conducive for success as a raw talent.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2015, 10:25:59 AM »
Because he's a development pick.  He has raw talent but only a year of production under his belt.  He is going to a team with no locker room leadership I can determine, a QB that might as well have been the 2nd shooter on the grassy knoll, and a team deep in a multi-year rebuild.  I would have taken a player with potentially less upside but a more established record.

Maybe John Fox will develop the structure that will develop the kid but the environment he's going to doesn't seem conducive for success as a raw talent.

C'mon.  You just used that reference in the Meme Thread. 

feedback