[Today at 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[Today at 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Program Update  (Read 40808 times)

Big Daddy 84

• Team Captain
Program Update
« on: April 17, 2015, 02:12:06 PM »
Hello fellow Warriors,

After the banquet last night I wanted to share a few thoughts:

1) Derrick Wilson is such a class act and I wish him well. His plans are to head over to Europe and give it a run at playing professionally over there.
2) STJ is not coming back to the program.  I know there has been some speculation on that, but as it was said to me "that door is closed".
3) Damien Lee is the #1 target and they do have a commitment for a visit in early May, just not a date. They know exactly when he is visiting the other schools and like that they are the last one to be visited. There is a relationship between DL and one of the staff and  there is mutual interest and communication.  They expect that Lee will come for a visit..did not seem to be too concerned that he will commit before visiting.
4) Miller is #2 target and again there is mutual interest, but I got the impression that they actually feel better about Lee than Miller.
5) After that the top targets are two JUCO players.  Plan 1 is Lee and Miller, plan #2 is lee or miller and 1 JUco  plan 2 - two Jucos.  We are not heavily recruiting any other HS seniors.
6) TC is in line to be starting PG next year, as it was described to me, what he lakes in experience he makes up in attitude.  The plan for backup is actually HC--they see him as more as a point than a wing.  DW is a wing and not viewed as a point.
7) HE hand is coming along fine and they have no concerns.
8) LF shoulder is coming along well and rehab is ongoing, was told it feels more "solid" now than it has since first injury.
9) Sacar is the real sleeper.  They just think he will be a 4 year guy that just gets better and better.
10) JJJ is happy and is staying.
11) If they can get enough bodies they would really like to RS one of the freshman to help balance classes, but wont do it if the player does not want to do it or if they can't fill out the roster.
12) Feel good about recruiting class for next year and that they have solid relationships with several HS Juniors they have targeted. 

Not all of the recruits will be here for the first summer session, but they will all be here by July 4th.

Go warriors.

Litehouse

• All American
Re: Program Update
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 02:16:52 PM »
When BigDaddy talks...

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 02:16:57 PM »
Excellent report. Thanks a lot for the insights.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 02:17:34 PM »
Thanks for the insight -- as always much appreciated.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 02:18:26 PM »
Appreciate it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 02:18:29 PM »

Huh.  After a select few were so insistent that Wojo was playing mind games with him too.  Imagine that...

Thank you Big Daddy!  

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 02:19:06 PM »
Much appreciated Big Daddy
Bring back FFP!!!

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 02:24:42 PM »
So I'm assuming that means the Italy trip is sometime after the 4th of July.
Has any more info been released on that?

Any chance we play Georgetown over there? I would think the staff would prefer not to do that with such a young team.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2015, 02:25:53 PM »
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 02:26:19 PM »

Any chance we play Georgetown over there? I would think the staff would prefer not to do that with such a young team.

I believe that would be against NCAA rules, I think we can only play international teams.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 02:27:18 PM »
Question about this ...

11) If they can get enough bodies they would really like to RS one of the freshman to help balance classes, but wont do it if the player does not want to do it or if they can't fill out the roster.

Do you think teams/schools are worried about doing this as it potentially sets up a kid to be a graduate transfer in four years.  (four years to graduate but still has a year of eligibility left).  I'm asking bigger picture as well as MU specifically.

Thoughts

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2015, 02:30:14 PM »
I believe that would be against NCAA rules, I think we can only play international teams.

That true?
Matty "Ice" Velazquez quoted Wojo last month as saying he wasn't sure if they'd be playing college teams, pro teams, or a mix...
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2015, 02:31:01 PM »
Hello fellow Warriors,

After the banquet last night I wanted to share a few thoughts:

1) Derrick Wilson is such a class act and I wish him well. His plans are to head over to Europe and give it a run at playing professionally over there.
2) STJ is not coming back to the program.  I know there has been some speculation on that, but as it was said to me "that door is closed".
3) Damien Lee is the #1 target and they do have a commitment for a visit in early May, just not a date. They know exactly when he is visiting the other schools and like that they are the last one to be visited. There is a relationship between DL and one of the staff and  there is mutual interest and communication.  They expect that Lee will come for a visit..did not seem to be too concerned that he will commit before visiting.
4) Miller is #2 target and again there is mutual interest, but I got the impression that they actually feel better about Lee than Miller.
5) After that the top targets are two JUCO players.  Plan 1 is Lee and Miller, plan #2 is lee or miller and 1 JUco  plan 2 - two Jucos.  We are not heavily recruiting any other HS seniors.
6) TC is in line to be starting PG next year, as it was described to me, what he lakes in experience he makes up in attitude.  The plan for backup is actually HC--they see him as more as a point than a wing.  DW is a wing and not viewed as a point.
7) HE hand is coming along fine and they have no concerns.
8) LF shoulder is coming along well and rehab is ongoing, was told it feels more "solid" now than it has since first injury.
9) Sacar is the real sleeper.  They just think he will be a 4 year guy that just gets better and better.
12) Feel good about recruiting class for next year and that they have solid relationships with several HS Juniors they have targeted. 

Not all of the recruits will be here for the first summer session, but they will all be here by July 4th.

Go warriors.

I'm guessing this refers to Hauser and Coffey?
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2015, 02:31:44 PM »
Thanks for the update, and this makes me even more optimistic. Obviously the coaches know more about the 2015 players than we do so hearing their thoughts is great. Good to know that they feel confident with Traci and Cheatham as our pg's next year.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2015, 02:32:07 PM »
Outstanding.  Thanks for the information BD, always appreciated.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2015, 02:32:43 PM »
I'm guessing this refers to Hauser and Coffey?

I think those 2 along with Kostas

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2015, 02:33:16 PM »
This Big Daddy post is like Christmas in April. Thx.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2015, 02:35:13 PM »
BigDaddy, as always many thanks for the reports

I heard very similar things.  If Haanif can play the point, I think at times we could go to a super big line-up that would be fascinating.

1- Haanif
2- Damian Lee (dreaming)
3- Cohen
4- Ellenson
5- Fischer

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2015, 02:35:40 PM »
3) Damien Lee is the #1 target and they do have a commitment for a visit in early May, just not a date. They know exactly when he is visiting the other schools and like that they are the last one to be visited. There is a relationship between DL and one of the staff and  there is mutual interest and communication.  They expect that Lee will come for a visit..did not seem to be too concerned that he will commit before visiting.

The Louisville paper has his schedule as this ...

Lee visits Arizona first, from Friday [today] to Sunday, then Louisville from Sunday to Tuesday. Gonzaga's coaches will fly to Baltimore to visit Lee next Wednesday. He is familiar with Maryland, which is a short drive from home, and may still set up a visit with Marquette, though his trips have to align with his mom's work schedule.

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/louisville/2015/04/15/louisville-basketball-transfer-target-damion-lee-thorough-research/25841223/

If this is all true and his next week is AZ, Louisville and then a visit by Gonzaga coaches and then return homes for a week to think it over and then comes to MU ... I think are chances are great (again, provided all this is true).

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2015, 02:36:46 PM »
That true?
Matty "Ice" Velazquez quoted Wojo last month as saying he wasn't sure if they'd be playing college teams, pro teams, or a mix...

International colleges, not US colleges I think....but I could be wrong.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2015, 02:39:24 PM »

I heard very similar things.  If Haanif can play the point, I think at times we could go to a super big line-up that would be fascinating.

1- Haanif
2- Damian Lee (dreaming)
3- Cohen
4- Ellenson
5- Fischer

I wonder if he could be like an MCW. Tall, long point guard. Not sure if playing styles are similar.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2015, 02:41:52 PM »
Does this mean we're outta the Stone sweepstakes, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2015, 02:43:47 PM »

6) TC is in line to be starting PG next year, as it was described to me, what he lakes in experience he makes up in attitude. 

This may be the first time in 7 years that those initials have been used in a positive light.  Refreshing.  Thanks for the update.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2015, 02:50:13 PM »
Thanks for the info Big Daddy, great reading all of this.  I'm ready for college basketball season to start back up again.

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2015, 02:50:54 PM »

1- Haanif
2- Damian Lee (dreaming)
3- Cohen
4- Ellenson
5- Fischer

How about:
1 - Haanif
2 - Lee
3 - HE
4 - Heldt
5 - Fischer

and thanks Big Daddy for the great news update.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 03:32:26 PM by THRILLHO »