collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Favorite schadenfreude moments?  (Read 9943 times)

classof2k

• Scholarship Player
Favorite schadenfreude moments?
« on: April 08, 2015, 11:36:16 PM »
The WI loss (which I am still thoroughly enjoying) got me thinking... what is the most pleasure I've ever taken from watching a team (or individual I guess) lose.  The first three that came to mind:

1) 2015 NCAA Championship -- The aftermath (Badger whining) continues to separate it from the pack.
2) 2010 NFC Championship -- Vikings vs. Saints (Favre interception)
3) 1998 NFC Championship -- Vikings vs. Falcons (Gary Anderson missed field goal after being perfect all year)

I suspect that the recent GB loss to Seattle... or the Super Bowl XLII have to be up there for some folks.

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
Re: Favorite schadenfreude moments?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 11:39:43 PM »
1) 2003 NLCS
2) 2005 NCAA title game
3) Any time Derrick Rose gets hurt

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 02:05:58 AM »

3) Any time Derrick Rose gets hurt

Why on earth would you ever take pleasure in someone's lively hood being ruined?

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 02:28:25 AM »
Yeah, the 9-figure contract he has where he plays at his whim really kills his livelihood

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 06:51:38 AM »
Any time the Packers lose in the playoffs.

Hard to enjoy as much when I'm out of state. Last season would have been delicious.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 07:18:30 AM »
Any time the Packers lose in the playoffs.

Hard to enjoy as much when I'm out of state. Last season would have been delicious.

I feel deprived because the Bears rarely make the playoffs for me to enjoy them losing in them

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 07:45:31 AM »
1.  2004 ALCS - Yanks blow 3-0 lead.  You think Wisconsin fans are bad, you should have met some Yankees fans circa late 90s/early 2000s.
2.  2008 Super Bowl - Pats perfect season ruined - Pats fans almost as bad as Yankees fans.
3.  1985 NCAA Championship Game - Nova stuns Georgetown - Really liked St Johns team that year (Mullin, Berry, Jackson) and was happy to see their nemesis go down in the finals.  Villanova would never have beaten St Johns.  Matchups.
4.  Buster Douglas KOs Mike Tyson - Tyson was the ultimate bully.
5.  2015 NCAA semi-final - Wisconsin ruins Kentucky's perfect season - I really don't like that smug Calipari.  This one was weird, because I didn't want Wisconsin to win either, and I could fully enjoy Kentucky's demise once Duke downed Wisconsin (though I don't like Duke, either.  Michigan State was the only FF team this year I could root for, and they were dispatched with ease.)

As you can see, I enjoy when cocky, dominant teams get their comeuppance. 
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 08:34:23 AM »

There will never, ever be anything better than this for me.  This was just so perfect in so many ways.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015, 08:51:29 AM »
The WI loss (which I am still thoroughly enjoying) got me thinking... what is the most pleasure I've ever taken from watching a team (or individual I guess) lose.  The first three that came to mind:

1) 2015 NCAA Championship -- The aftermath (Badger whining) continues to separate it from the pack.
3) 1998 NFC Championship -- Vikings vs. Falcons (Gary Anderson missed field goal after being perfect all year)

Great list, I'd add the Colts-Bears in Super Bowl XLI to that as well  ;D

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2015, 08:56:56 AM »
The WI loss (which I am still thoroughly enjoying) got me thinking... what is the most pleasure I've ever taken from watching a team (or individual I guess) lose.  The first three that came to mind:

Definitely these two for me. I'd add Wilson's INT at the goal line in the Super Bowl as well. Can't stand Seattle.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2015, 09:03:20 AM »
2013 BCS Championship game has to be up there
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 10:57:31 AM by Bleuteaux »

JoeSmith1721

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2015, 09:05:30 AM »
1) 2015 NCAA title game
2) 2005 NCAA title game
3) 2003 NLCS
4) 2013-14 Premier League Season - United finishing 7th

classof2k

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2015, 09:52:33 AM »
I'd add Wilson's INT at the goal line in the Super Bowl as well. Can't stand Seattle.

Definitely top 10 for me.  I spend time in Seattle and got a lot of grief after the GB fiasco.  This was so fitting.  Wilson's WI connection made this even more pleasant.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2015, 10:04:18 AM »
1.) Superbowl XXXII
2.) 2013 BCS Championship, (I knew ND would lose, was thrilled when they were embarrassed, perfect timing with Teo's fake GF)
3.) The 2000 ALDS (White Sox losing to Wild Card Mariners)

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2015, 10:10:16 AM »
When Peyton Manning stayed for his senior year at Tennessee so he could win the Heisman, but Charles Woodson won it instead.

I have a family full of insufferable Vols fans.
Have some patience, FFS.

JuniorCardigan

• Walk-On
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2015, 10:18:52 AM »
I'd say the 2003 NLCS, one of the greatest meltdowns I've ever had the pleasure of witnessing.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2015, 10:29:35 AM »
Last year OSU UWMad game
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2015, 10:47:03 AM »
January 2012.  Losses in the final seconds to Oregon in the Rose Bowl and Michigan State at the Kohl Hole on back-to-back nights.  Despite their claims of academic superiority, apparently no one in Madison knows how to read a clock.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2015, 10:53:46 AM »
1.  The ground ball rolling through Leon Durham's legs.
2.  Bartman.
3. The IU fanbase, after all of the stuff they said about MU when they landed Crean, realizing what kind of coach they had in Crean.
4. Brady Hoke.
5. April 6, 2015, and the aftermath as badger nation reveals its true nature to the country.   The rest of the country now knows what MU fans have known for years about badger fans. 
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 11:02:01 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2015, 11:25:18 AM »
Ugh that 2005 national championship game was the worst. Still bitter about that game. Rumor has it Sean May is still setting illegal screens and committing offensive fouls....

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2015, 11:41:25 AM »
1.  2004 ALCS - Yanks blow 3-0 lead.  You think Wisconsin fans are bad, you should have met some Yankees fans circa late 90s/early 2000s.
2.  2008 Super Bowl - Pats perfect season ruined - Pats fans almost as bad as Yankees fans.
3.  1985 NCAA Championship Game - Nova stuns Georgetown - Really liked St Johns team that year (Mullin, Berry, Jackson) and was happy to see their nemesis go down in the finals.  Villanova would never have beaten St Johns.  Matchups.
4.  Buster Douglas KOs Mike Tyson - Tyson was the ultimate bully.
5.  2015 NCAA semi-final - Wisconsin ruins Kentucky's perfect season - I really don't like that smug Calipari.  This one was weird, because I didn't want Wisconsin to win either, and I could fully enjoy Kentucky's demise once Duke downed Wisconsin (though I don't like Duke, either.  Michigan State was the only FF team this year I could root for, and they were dispatched with ease.)

As you can see, I enjoy when cocky, dominant teams get their comeuppance. 
These are good, as I like the same comeuppance results.
I enjoyed the first Duke UNLV matchup in the NCAA finals when the announcers, including ACC Billy Packard fell all over themselves promoting the Duke academics over the BB Thugs...then they could barely smile or interview the thugs on their win...storyline ruined. LOL

Some of my own pain includes the NC State win over UH Phi Slamma Jamma.
NC Staters love my pain, there.

I enjoyed the Jets win over Baltimore Colts in Super Bowl III...

and who cant laugh a little over UM losing to Appalacian State...at some level that program still hasnt recovered from that loss
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2015, 11:52:04 AM »
Why on earth would you ever take pleasure in someone's lively hood being ruined?

I admit that a couple of my faves also involved injuries.

The Vikings lost to the Bears in 1990 in great part because the punter fumbled a snap. Afterward, instead of consoling his teammate, Keith Millard ripped him up and down. It was merciless. As if the guy didn't feel horrible enough. The very next week, Millard blew out his knee. He was done for the season and he never really was the same again. Karma is a bitch.

In 2001, the White Sox picked up David Wells because they thought he would be the missing piece to the World Series puzzle. Frank Thomas, who had an awesome year in 2000 as the Sox won the division, got hurt early on and missed a bunch of games and the White Sox stumbled. Wells went on the radio and said Thomas "lacked guts" for refusing to play with pain. It turned out that Thomas had a torn triceps and had to miss the rest of the season. Wells refused to apologize. He ended up going 5-7, helped sink the White Sox in the standings, and then suffered a back injury that required season-ending surgery. Or maybe he just lacked guts. I was happy he got his comeuppance.

I think those are very different than cheering about Derrick Rose's inability to stay healthy, though.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2015, 11:55:37 AM »
I agree.   Celebrating an injury is on a level with the average Wisconsin fan. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2015, 12:18:48 PM »
I admit that a couple of my faves also involved injuries.

The Vikings lost to the Bears in 1990 in great part because the punter fumbled a snap. Afterward, instead of consoling his teammate, Keith Millard ripped him up and down. It was merciless. As if the guy didn't feel horrible enough. The very next week, Millard blew out his knee. He was done for the season and he never really was the same again. Karma is a bitch.

In 2001, the White Sox picked up David Wells because they thought he would be the missing piece to the World Series puzzle. Frank Thomas, who had an awesome year in 2000 as the Sox won the division, got hurt early on and missed a bunch of games and the White Sox stumbled. Wells went on the radio and said Thomas "lacked guts" for refusing to play with pain. It turned out that Thomas had a torn triceps and had to miss the rest of the season. Wells refused to apologize. He ended up going 5-7, helped sink the White Sox in the standings, and then suffered a back injury that required season-ending surgery. Or maybe he just lacked guts. I was happy he got his comeuppance.

I think those are very different than cheering about Derrick Rose's inability to stay healthy, though.

I don't Wells ever lacked guts.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2015, 12:19:08 PM »
Some of my own pain includes the NC State win over UH Phi Slamma Jamma.
NC Staters love my pain, there.

I wouldn't have called that one schadenfreude for me.  I was rooting for NC State, but basically I root for the underdog when I have no other natural rooting interest.  That Houston team (Olajuwon, Drexler, Micheaux, Alvin Franklin, Michael Young, Benny Anders) was so good and fun to watch.  If Guy Lewis didn't outsmart himself by trying to run clock instead of crushing NC State the last 5 minutes or so, I think Houston wins going away.

If you are a Red Sox fan you have many soul-crushing losses to choose from.  Luis Aparacio tripping over third base costing a tie in penultimate game of 1972 season costing the Red Sox the division title (The Sox lost to the Tigers by half a game because they played one less game because of the strike that year), blowing 3-0 leads in game 7 of the 1975 and 1986 World Series, the Bucky Dent game in 1978, the Bill Buckner game in 1986, the Grady Little/Aaron Boone game in 2003.  It all gets washed away when you win one, though, so Cubs fans keep the faith.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 12:20:53 PM by CTWarrior »
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.