Big East 2024 Offseason by WeAreMarquette96
[April 17, 2024, 11:14:56 PM]

Academic All Americans by AlumKCof93
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:57 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by withoutbias
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:37 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WhiteTrash
[April 17, 2024, 07:24:33 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Plaque Lives Matter!
[April 17, 2024, 06:35:36 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by WhiteTrash
[April 17, 2024, 05:13:59 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Tanned Tommy on the ropes?  (Read 92270 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: Tanned Tommy on the ropes?
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2015, 09:25:20 PM »

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2015, 09:28:07 PM »
Way over paid!

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2015, 09:36:53 PM »
nm
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 09:38:45 PM by Sir Lawrence »
Ludum habemus.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2015, 09:39:11 PM »
crapshoot?

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2015, 09:45:01 PM »
Buzz to Texas!

That would be awesome.

There would be some very good players available as transfers as he drives off half the roster as he is wont to do.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
SS Marquette

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2015, 10:53:41 PM »
Crean could do some great things at DePaul...  assuming the AD wouldn't screw it up.

I love watching Crean lose and think he's a d-bag but the guy can rebuild a program.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2015, 11:07:30 PM »
Crean could do some great things at DePaul...  assuming the AD wouldn't screw it up.

I love watching Crean lose and think he's a d-bag but the guy can rebuild a program.
What program has he "rebuilt?" Indiana was a top 3 team under Sampson.

kryza

• Team Captain
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2015, 11:51:47 PM »

Here's a book you might enjoy

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2015, 08:09:58 AM »

Marquette and Indiana.

If you think the situation at Indiana was "top 3" when he arrived you are insane. That program was in shambles.

Do I think Crean is a good fit to take teams to the next level? No. But you can't deny he can rebuild a program.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2015, 08:14:02 AM »
You could argue it's Indiana and anyone could have success there but he did it at Marquette as well. And that was before we were a team that spent more on its program than 99% of schools.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2015, 08:18:49 AM »
You could argue it's Indiana and anyone could have success there but he did it at Marquette as well. And that was before we were a team that spent more on its program than 99% of schools.

You're correct. He is an insufferable pud whack who appears to have a ceiling, but it's silly to try to re-write history as to what he did accomplish.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2015, 09:01:21 AM »
He'll be fine at a football school because nobody will notice that he doesn't really know much about basketball.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2015, 09:23:55 AM »
The attempt at revisionist history in this thread is hilarious. Crean did wonderful things for MU. Love him or hate him, facts are fats.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2015, 09:26:27 AM »
'
They also were in a world of trouble with the NCAA. I guess that fact you left out.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2015, 09:28:51 AM »
The attempt at revisionist history in this thread is hilarious. Crean did wonderful things for MU. Love him or hate him, facts are fats.

+100

And he's done a lot for IU as well, but that fanbase is to arrogant and still living in the 1980's under Bobby Knight to realize it. 

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2015, 09:31:22 AM »
I've been beating this drum a lot, but who the hell does Indiana nation think they're going to get so far superior to Crean?  Answer, nobody.  At best, best case scenario is a modest upgrade.

Their fan base is so arrogant it has them outright delusional of where reality stands circa 2015.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2015, 09:45:25 AM »
IU nation wants Brad.   

I have believed for some time that Crean is a B- coach.   I thought he had reached his peak at MU.   If he had stayed at MU, within a couple of years, the grumblings would have started in earnest here.    I believe he has peaked at IU.   More importantly, the fanbase has come to believe that, too.   They have looked at 7 years of work, 16 years overall, and have decided that he is not a coach to get IU back to the pinnacle they believe to be their birthright.   They have reached the same conclusion about his strengths and weaknesses as a coach that most have here.   He built the program up from the ashes, but he is not the one to take it to a high level of consistency.    Not being able to consistently land bigs or consecutive really good classes, having unbalanced rosters,  unable to attack a zone, the dreaded 3 man weave as a base offense..... IU nation doesn't have the same patience for these failings as MU did.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2015, 09:46:57 AM »
I've been beating this drum a lot, but who the hell does Indiana nation think they're going to get so far superior to Crean?  Answer, nobody.  At best, best case scenario is a modest upgrade.

Their fan base is so arrogant it has them outright delusional of where reality stands circa 2015.

Unfortunately, Crean embraced and wholeheartedly endorsed the same standard and those expectations when he took the job. He cannot back away from them now.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2015, 09:49:47 AM »
IU nation wants Brad.   

I have believed for some time that Crean is a B- coach.   I thought he had reached his peak at MU.   If he had stayed at MU, within a couple of years, the grumblings would have started in earnest here.    I believe he has peaked at IU.   More importantly, the fanbase has come to believe that, too.   They have looked at 7 years of work, 16 years overall, and have decided that he is not a coach to get IU back to the pinnacle they believe to be their birthright.   They have reached the same conclusion about his strengths and weaknesses as a coach that most have here.   He built the program up from the ashes, but he is not the one to take it to a high level of consistency.    Not being able to consistently land bigs or consecutive really good classes, having unbalanced rosters,  unable to attack a zone, the dreaded 3 man weave as a base offense..... IU nation doesn't have the same patience for these failings as MU did.   

They may want Stevens, I find it very hard to believe they'll get him.  If he wants to go back to college, and that's a huge if, he'll have his pick of any opening he wants.  He could wait things out until Coach K retires, or take over Syracuse, to name a couple that are more appealing than the living in the 1980's Indiana Hoosiers.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2015, 09:51:26 AM »
Unfortunately, Crean embraced and wholeheartedly endorsed the same standard and those expectations when he took the job. He cannot back away from them now.

That's a good point, with his "It's Indiana, it's Indiana" words.  But he's finding out that program just isn't a blue blood elite anymore and hasn't been in almost 30 years. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2015, 10:37:36 AM »
They may want Stevens, I find it very hard to believe they'll get him.  If he wants to go back to college, and that's a huge if, he'll have his pick of any opening he wants.  He could wait things out until Coach K retires, or take over Syracuse, to name a couple that are more appealing than the living in the 1980's Indiana Hoosiers.

Syracuse more appealing than Indiana University?  Uhh, yeah...no.  Syracuse's only success came when...they were big time cheaters.  Now they lose 3 scholarships per year for the next 4 years, plus they already announced their coach is retiring...in 3 years.  That's going to be great for bringing in solid recruiting classes.  "Come to Syracuse, where you won't know who will be coaching in your last 2 seasons in college!"

Duke he could maybe be a candidate for I guess, but there's certainly no guarantee of that.  Not to mention, nobody knows how long Coach 1K will be around.  Chances are pretty good he's still around by the time Stevens's Celtics contract runs out in 4 years.

Stevens would absolutely kill it at IU.  If Stevens showed any interest in the IU job they should immediately fire Crean, even if they have to pay him a full $12 million for his buyout.  Indiana guy who has proven he can be very successful in the NCAA.  He would get every recruit from Indiana, which would be a very good start to getting that program back to where they want to be.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 11:07:44 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2015, 10:43:00 AM »
Tom Crean did great things for the Marquette program.  I am very glad he helped bring the program back to what it is today.

Tom Crean did not rebuild the IU program.  It was certainly a mess when he took over.  But it was a mess that had an incredibly high ceiling.  He took that high ceiling and in 7 seasons has turned that program into a team that hopes to be on the bubble every year.  Regardless of whether you think IU fans overhype their program and expect way too much or not, that's not where IU should be as a program.  He also "cleaned up" the program to the point of players transferring out of the program because of the loose "culture" of the program (drug use) and players driving under the influence and running other players over.  But hey, the head coach doesn't send too many text messages to recruits, so the program is clean!  Now he can just Tweet to them how much he is thinking about them.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2015, 10:47:17 AM »
Marquette and Indiana.

If you think the situation at Indiana was "top 3" when he arrived you are insane. That program was in shambles.

Do I think Crean is a good fit to take teams to the next level? No. But you can't deny he can rebuild a program.

They had kids who smoked pot and didn't study...SCANDALOUS! It was massively blown out of proportion because it was Indiana and Sampson had been in trouble previously. Sampson was also 10x the coach Crean is and that Hoosier team was near the top of the rankings. Now they have kids getting arrested, but they study! Oh, and they're not nearly as good as they were under Sampson. Nice rebuild.

He did not "rebuild" Marquette. We had a couple down years under Deane, which were similar to the down years Marquette had after our Final Four. Under Crean.

Crean is a salesman, I'll give him that.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2015, 10:50:42 AM »

9-9 in conference (8th place), 20-14 overall, 5-10 the last 15 games and a first round NCAA loss to a mid major in year 7 (coming off a terrible season in year 6) isn't much of a rebuild for a blue blood program like IU. Depaul fans would be happy. Hoosier fans have the pitchforks out.