Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Teve Transferring  (Read 56597 times)

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Re: Teve Transferring
« Reply #75 on: March 18, 2015, 07:49:16 PM »
Jsglow is definitely not my dad. Hahaha.

Oops!  Evidently, I've got to do better at keeping the characters straight.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #76 on: March 18, 2015, 07:51:46 PM »
I'm disappointed to see Steve go as I thought he'd be a solid rotational player backing up the 4 and 5 next year.

As far as the transfers, I'm not concerned at all at this point.  If we continue to see multiple transfers per year of players Wojo brought in himself then there might be reason for concern but at this point it's almost to be expected.

And hopefully this does mean we may have a transfer coming who likely would have taken minutes from Steve.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #77 on: March 18, 2015, 08:09:34 PM »
Oops!  Evidently, I've got to do better at keeping the characters straight.

You know what?  I actually thought they were father and son, too.  Dead serious.

WarhawkWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #78 on: March 18, 2015, 08:37:15 PM »
I've suggested this before, 13 scholarship rosters by nature cause about 3 to 4 guys to be unhappy with playing time.  8 man rotations are probably the norm.  Steve is an unlikely pro, value the degree and have fun.   Good luck Steve, you were a fan favorite.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #79 on: March 18, 2015, 08:38:19 PM »
I really liked Steve - nice young man who was a pretty good role player this year. I'm kind of shocked he's leaving. Don't think he's good enough for Marquette West (Iowa St.) - will he end up back home at Loyola U?

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #80 on: March 18, 2015, 09:15:45 PM »
I will say this positive about him transferring, no more " 'Teve" references here, geez that was stupid.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #81 on: March 18, 2015, 09:27:23 PM »
Steve will be greatly missed.  I wish him the absolute best.  That's all.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #82 on: March 18, 2015, 09:37:52 PM »
If I have been paying attention...

ChiTownJuan is friends with JSGlow & Warrior Chick's Love Child.  ChiTownJuan is NOT their Love Child.

To date I don't know if we have an outed Father / Son combo on the board.   

The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #83 on: March 18, 2015, 10:02:10 PM »
Wow! He was the last person I thought would transfer.

brandx

« Reply #84 on: March 18, 2015, 10:08:59 PM »
Wow! He was the last person I thought would transfer.

Yeah, I agree. Just because of the fact that he only has one year left. But maybe he needs the time to try to rebuild strength in the leg.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #85 on: March 18, 2015, 10:09:59 PM »
Good kid, not a great basketball player. His production will be relatively easy to replace.

Why people flip out about transfers is beyond me.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #86 on: March 18, 2015, 10:24:27 PM »
I will say this positive about him transferring, no more " 'Teve" references here, geez that was stupid.

Amen, brother. Right up there with Bazz and Bert.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #87 on: March 18, 2015, 10:38:36 PM »
Always liked Teve but was disappointed in his lack of progression. No vertical and trouble with bunnies. Always seemed engaged and a good teammate. Best of luck to you, STjr.

Autoengineer

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #88 on: March 18, 2015, 11:08:18 PM »
I'd guess they bough their big red UW sweet shirt at Walmart and have no other affiliation with the University? 

Hey.  How do you know my father-in law? 

muwarrior97

• All American
  • CALVACADE OF BRICKS
« Reply #89 on: March 18, 2015, 11:30:32 PM »
Steve must not like Italian food :(
#RGV #ReturnTheWarriorMindset

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #90 on: March 18, 2015, 11:41:52 PM »
Good kid, not a great basketball player. His production will be relatively easy to replace.

Just curious, why will it be so easy? This team has potentially 8 newcomers. At least 5 are freshmen. Nothing about this screams easy.

axaguy

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #91 on: March 18, 2015, 11:58:12 PM »
Sorry to hear about Steve's move. Sounds like he is a really nice kid and, hopefully, a good student. Would think he'd get more mileage out of a degree from Marquette than where ever he may land at this time in place.

Honestly, though, never really impressed me while on the floor during his tenure here. Not what I would expect from a Simeon High School kid at a high major school. Has size but was woefully inept around the basket, not really athletic for a big guy or fluid and a disappointment for me as a junior who should have contributed far more this year.

Neither he or Luke would have gotten much floor time on a team with any decent bigs this year, truthfully. They have the "numbers' but haven't displayed the ability to compete vs. average competition at this level or at a level necessary to be competitive in the Big East.

Wouldn't have pulled his scholly. though, either. He was invited to come here and I would have hoped we stuck with him for his final year if he intended on staying...... Just sayin'

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #92 on: March 19, 2015, 01:45:35 AM »
Very sad to see Steve depart.  Quality kid who worked hard through a major injury setback.  I felt that only in the last few games of this year was he back to "almost normal". 

If I were the new DePaul head coach this would be my first phone call, but I'm pretty sure transfers within Big East are restricted. 

Anyway, good luck Steve, and hope you average 10 and 10 wherever you land!
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #93 on: March 19, 2015, 07:09:38 AM »
Very sad to see Steve depart.  Quality kid who worked hard through a major injury setback.  I felt that only in the last few games of this year was he back to "almost normal". 

If I were the new DePaul head coach this would be my first phone call, but I'm pretty sure transfers within Big East are restricted. 

Anyway, good luck Steve, and hope you average 10 and 10 wherever you land!

Has to sit two years to transfer to another Big East school.

That three years of a roster spot for 1 year on the team.

No way DePaul does that, or Steve.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #94 on: March 19, 2015, 07:12:28 AM »

If I were the new DePaul head coach this would be my first phone call,

Your FIRST call would be to a 3rd year reserve transfer from the last place team in the Big East?  

Look, I think Steve is a good person and nice player, but I can't imagine in any parallel universe where any coach would make him their top priority recruit.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #95 on: March 19, 2015, 07:13:23 AM »
Has to sit two years to transfer to another Big East school.

That three years of a roster spot for 1 year on the team.

No way DePaul does that, or Steve.

Not sure he even could. Barring a waiver, Steve (like all players) has 5 years to complete 4 seasons of eligibility. Without an injury or other special circumstance, I can't see the NCAA granting a bonus year to stay in conference.

Though I agree neither DePaul nor Steve would be interested in that even if it was viable.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #96 on: March 19, 2015, 07:29:22 AM »
I think you guys are taking my comments too far. I'm thrilled with the job Wojo has done so far and had zero expectations for this season.  But Steve could have been expected to play an important role next year and is the finest kid you will ever meet. Very few players transfer before their Senior year.  So if Wojo doesn't have a credible replacement by the time Fall roles around then this will squarely be on his shoulders.

And all this talk about a multi year rebuilding is simply an excuse.  I'm certainly not expecting the world next year but another sub 500 season and Wojo's job will be on the line. That's all I'm saying.  That doesn't make me Ners.

Now I want to talk about Derrick vs. Dawson again.        ;D
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 07:31:05 AM by jsglow »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #97 on: March 19, 2015, 07:55:07 AM »
I think you guys are taking my comments too far. I'm thrilled with the job Wojo has done so far and had zero expectations for this season.  But Steve could have been expected to play an important role next year and is the finest kid you will ever meet. Very few players transfer before their Senior year.  So if Wojo doesn't have a credible replacement by the time Fall roles around then this will squarely be on his shoulders.

And all this talk about a multi year rebuilding is simply an excuse.  I'm certainly not expecting the world next year but another sub 500 season and Wojo's job will be on the line. That's all I'm saying.  That doesn't make me Ners.

Now I want to talk about Derrick vs. Dawson again.        ;D

I agree completely that Steve is one of the best kids you will find. While he might have never developed into the player we hoped he would be, he was one of those kids you just want around your program. His camera poses when the team came out always made my day. Just one of those guys on the team that would make you smile. I think he would have been an excellent senior leader, and it will be interesting to see how that void is filled.

Any seniors we have will be graduate transfers that aren't familiar with Marquette. Are Luke and Jajuan as juniors ready for that type of role? I'm really thinking this will be Duane's team. While I like his initiative, that's a lot of weight on a sophomore.

I agree that this is a void that needs to be filled. If Steve could replicate the rebounding he was doing lately, or at least come close to it, he would have been a tremendous asset as a senior. You need guys that are willing to just do the job and go get the damn ball. While he had his deficiencies, I was really looking forward to seeing him finish his career at Marquette. And yes, the staff not only needs to fill the scholarship he leaves, but needs to fill it with production.

I do think Wojo could weather another losing season, as long as it was better than this, but with the recruiting class he has coming in and two solid foundation pieces in Duane and Luke, next year I agree that we really do need to be more competitive. The NIT should be the lowest bar for next year's team. If Wojo can't replace Steve and we are even worse on the boards in 2015-16, then I'm sure jsglow won't be alone in wondering about the direction of the program.

I'm optimistic. I think the staff may already have Steve's replacement lined up and think the team will be notably better next year. But that's my nature. I'm the guy that looks for the best. That doesn't mean we shouldn't be bracing for the worst and be willing to be honest about where things are at. With Steve gone, things are not as good today as they were yesterday.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #98 on: March 19, 2015, 08:00:06 AM »
So if Wojo doesn't have a credible replacement by the time Fall roles around then this will squarely be on his shoulders.

What exactly is that supposed to mean, it will be squarely on his shoulders? Why is Taylor leaving? Did he leave because of Wojo? Expected playing time? Something else? Oh that's right, you don't know. Should Wojo and Taylor work together to see that he gets playing time he may not be worthy of? Should they ignore whatever his reasons for leaving in order to keep him on the team? Did Steve choose to play for Wojo when he selected MU? Is it really Wojo's fault if one or both of them don't see him as a fit here? Just  an odd comment on your part. Believe it or not, the players have a say and play a major role in these decisions.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #99 on: March 19, 2015, 08:01:50 AM »

Nailed it.