[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Teve Transferring  (Read 56116 times)

NavinRJohnson

• All American
Re: Teve Transferring
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2015, 05:47:57 PM »
I'm with you on this.  Even with Henry coming in, I still think Taylor was going to get solid minutes.

I guess I don't agree. Quite possibly a result of the kee problems, but he showed time and time again that he lacked athleticism. Just don't think he was going to fit in real well wiypth an upgraded roster. He was already the 7th or 8th guy on a 7 or 8 man team. What happens when that becomes a 10 man team?

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2015, 05:50:05 PM »
Upon reflection, I can't help but think that this means that Wojo has a graduate transfer versatile 3/4/5 planning on coming and that Steve found out.   

It's Miller time!!!
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2015, 05:52:31 PM »
I don't get it.  Was set to play a key role on next year's team.

Off the bench.  I'm sure he just wants to start as a senior. 
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2015, 05:56:08 PM »
Concur. He was history if Buzz had stayed.  This surprises me greatly today however.

Look.  I'll admit to a bit of frustration here.  There isn't a better kid than Steve Taylor Jr.  Wojo absolutely better have this little challenge solved via a player not currently on the roster who can immediately step in and contribute on DAY #1 because Henry and Luke aren't logging 40 minutes next year.  Wojo got plenty of slack this past season.  But I expect a quality product from him next year.  Freakin' get to it coach.

Wow.  You're one of the last posters I would have seen filling the Ners gap.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2015, 05:58:25 PM »
jsglow, this is not a one year rebuild.   Accept that.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2015, 05:58:37 PM »
Some programs avoid it...Wisconsin-madison is one.

Coaching staff stability is a big part of that, but it's also knowing the player rather than just going with the highest rated guy you can get.  Hopefully, with Wojo Marquette will get there.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2015, 06:00:33 PM »

Don't see how that's Ners related. Then again we don't know what was said to Teve or what he was thinking. I can almost guarantee you I have had more personal interaction with Teve then anyone here and it took me by surprise.

That being said, it would not shock me in the slightest if we get a transfer real soon.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2015, 06:03:07 PM »
Where have I said anything about MU being a better program right now or refusing to acknowledge UW's accomplishments? Nowhere is the answer...because I don't give a fu**!  Wisconsin basketball is irrelevant to me except for the day they play MU. Do I root for them...hell no! I grew up in MN as a Gopher fan and I went to MU, but don't just throw me in a boat with the other badger-haters because I called out Chicos for saying Wisconsin has no transfers, which is false.

Now go back to the Badger board!

Yes, they have transfers, but when was the last time when the Badgers were scratching their heads in mid-March saying, "Jeez, who's gonna be our backup PF next year?"

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2015, 06:06:35 PM »
DeAaron Williams
Ian Markolf
Diamond Taylor
Jeremy Glover

Evan Anderson "decided" not to return for his redshirt senior year.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2015, 06:11:55 PM »
Let's not overglorify Steve now that he's leaving the program.  The sky is not falling.  We're losing a guy who earned 22 mpg on the worst Marquette team in over a decade, a team that went a max of 9 deep, but often had any where from 1-3 guys in any combination of out of the program, injured, or pinned to the bench.  Oh, and a top 5 recruit who plays his position is on his way into the program.

Am I happy Steve is gone?  Of course not.  I liked Steve and his rebounding ability will be missed.  But the guy averaged 6 and 5 in 22 mpg.  He was the definition of a role player.  He wasn't going to all of a sudden jump to 33 mpg starting at the 4 and be the focus of this team.  Best of luck to Steve, hopefully he finds the right fit (at an educational institution of equal or greater prestige than Marquette University, because he is 1 year out from graduating college).

Never stop recruiting.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

warriorfan 14

• Starter
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2015, 06:18:36 PM »
it would not be a marquette offseason without a player transferring. the tradition continues

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2015, 06:26:51 PM »
Better gone than being poison on the team.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2015, 06:31:22 PM »

MEME WATCH 2015-16: FILLING THE NERS GAP

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2015, 06:39:02 PM »
Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN  3h3 hours ago
Marquette junior Stevie Taylor is transferring. Transfer list growing quickly.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2015, 06:49:02 PM »
Darn, good kid and hoping he would expand his role next year. Saw a lot of things I liked in him late in the season.

Good luck Steve and may your talent take you far.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2015, 06:51:29 PM »
He was the definition of a role player.

Never stop recruiting.
He was a role player without an identifiable role. I liked him personally, but come on. It's actually possible Wally Ellenson has been abusing him in practice, too, although I have no knowledge of this.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2015, 06:54:42 PM »
Don't see how that's Ners related. Then again we don't know what was said to Teve or what he was thinking. I can almost guarantee you I have had more personal interaction with Teve then anyone here and it took me by surprise.

That being said, it would not shock me in the slightest if we get a transfer real soon.

Hitting Wojo with an ultimatum less than one year into his getting the HC job just seemed like a Ners type move to me.  Especially demanding new recruits on March 18th after Wojo just pulled two more players in following the Noskowiak debacle, one of whom (Carter) he pulled away from solid programs who had been pursuing him for far longer.  The truth is Wojo will probably meet your Dad's insane demands.  I just think that your Dad could have asked nice.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2015, 06:55:53 PM »
MEME WATCH 2015-16: FILLING THE NERS GAP

Me like.  Thanks.  8-)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2015, 06:56:05 PM »
Count me among those who thought Taylor would have been a decent role player next season -- a solid 15-20 minute guy who would play more some nights (when Luke's in foul trouble, for example) and maybe not quite as much some others. He definitely would have provided insurance for Luke's shoulder and any other injury that might have cropped up.

In the second half of the conference season, he had three double-figure scoring games, two fantastic rebounding efforts (and a few respectable ones) and shot over 50% from the floor.

So far, it doesn't seem anybody here knows the whole story behind the transfer -- and I am among that group, too.

Does he know that somebody new is coming in to steal his minutes (aside from Henry and Heldt)? Does he figure that he had little chance to start and, in his mind, he absolutely had to be a starter as a senior? Does he have "peeps" whispering in his ear that he can be a 30-minute, 17-ppg small forward so he needed to leave so he could have a shot at the NBA? Does he dislike Wojo or some of his teammates? Who knows ... it's all speculation.

I also am among those not worried about the number of transfers we've had. Coaching turnover, combined with kids who don't play up to their H.S. rankings, will make that happen. That's college basketball today. I don't love it, but it's a fact of life. Thankfully, we've been on the receiving end of some nice transfers, too.

Finally, I think I have pretty realistic expectations for next season. This year was almost a throwaway and next will be Year 1 of serious rebuilding. Hopefully Henry will be all he's supposed to be, Cheatham and Carter will be outstanding, Duane will take that next step, other players will improve, we have good health and camaraderie, Wojo will become a much better game manager, and we will at least contend for a tourney spot. But I wouldn't be surprised if we fall a little short and don't have our break-out season until 2016-17. And I'd be fine with that, too.
β€œIt’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2015, 07:13:15 PM »
Steve decided to stay and take one for the team...and he bulked up to fill in at the five spot until Luke was eligible. His reward was a 33% reduction in playing time from 29.4 minutes to 19.7 when Luke returned. His points per minute metric was the same in either role, but his rebounds per minute actually went up as a reserve...but doubled when he started or played more with Luke when Juan was hurt.

Said all year that I thought MU was better with that combo in the game together primarily. But, it wasn't going to be a fit for Wojo it was clear when Juan returned as he went right back to the bench as a backup five. He wanted to play the three, didn't have the range, and HE will be grabbing Juan's minutes next season. Pretty clear messaging.

Best of luck to a guy who served his school well. Next season will be interesting...

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2015, 07:18:40 PM »
Steve would have been (will be??) helpful next season. Appreciate his efforts over the years.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2015, 07:42:45 PM »
Sad to see Steve go.  Was really hoping for a nice senior season.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #72 on: March 18, 2015, 07:44:46 PM »
Hitting Wojo with an ultimatum less than one year into his getting the HC job just seemed like a Ners type move to me.  Especially demanding new recruits on March 18th after Wojo just pulled two more players in following the Noskowiak debacle, one of whom (Carter) he pulled away from solid programs who had been pursuing him for far longer.  The truth is Wojo will probably meet your Dad's insane demands.  I just think that your Dad could have asked nice.

Jsglow is definitely not my dad. Hahaha.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2015, 07:46:28 PM »
I really expected this, because if I was in his shoes I would of transferred. His playing time was going to decrease next year. Also, unless he has a great desire to leave college like Vander did, it gives him another year of college life.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #74 on: March 18, 2015, 07:48:10 PM »
Better gone than being poison on the team.
Well it has not taken long for this stuff to start, as predicted.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.