Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: DePaul Coaching Search  (Read 110068 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: DePaul Coaching Search
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2015, 04:58:10 PM »
Howland now being rumored at Mississippi State. Amazing how his name comes up for every high major job that opens.  ::)

Hurley would be a gutsy but promising hire for DePaul. Be interesting to see what he did with his staff, would need a Chicago assistant I'd think.

In other news, Bradley just fired their coach today.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2015, 05:03:33 PM »
Howland now being rumored at Mississippi State. Amazing how his name comes up for every high major job that opens.  ::)

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanESPN
Ben Howland has emerged as the frontrunner and is in discussions to take the Mississippi State job, sources told ESPN.

The guy definitely left UCLA on a sour note, but he's fairly accomplished and would be a great get for a middling program like Mississippi State.

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2015, 05:12:12 PM »
It is if the Trib is right about their candidates, cripes.

Couldn't other schools have said the same about our options when we hired Crean? Granted we were not as low as they are now but I remember someone listing the candidates in another thread and at least one poster not being that impressed with them.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2015, 05:36:23 PM »

Hurley would be a gutsy but promising hire for DePaul. Be interesting to see what he did with his staff, would need a Chicago assistant I'd think.

I think this is the Best guy for DePaul........If they can finish.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2015, 08:00:26 PM »
Ben Howland has emerged as the frontrunner and is in discussions to take the Mississippi State job, sources told ESPN.

The guy definitely left UCLA on a sour note, but he's fairly accomplished and would be a great get for a middling program like Mississippi State.

Man, why such a precipitous fall?  I mean, I get that there may there may be some stink and/or burned bridges, but did Howland kill someone or something?  Nobody seems to want to be seen even entertaining the thought of hiring him.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2015, 08:02:40 PM »
Shouldn't have let the inmates run the asylum his last couple of years in LA while simultaneously being a douche.   People talk. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2015, 08:05:09 PM »
Man, why such a precipitous fall?  I mean, I get that there may there may be some stink and/or burned bridges, but did Howland kill someone or something?  Nobody seems to want to be seen even entertaining the thought of hiring him.

They don't play entertaining basketball, he is tough to deal with, AAU coaches don't like him, and he's intense as hell.  Now, if he wins, no one cares.  If they don't win, well people start to care.  I worked with Ben for two years when I ran NCAA March Madness for my old company.  Ben was our spokesperson. Ben can be a cranky dude and some AD's don't want cranky dudes.  Recruiting got to be a bear at the end with the AAU coaches wanting no part of him out here.  

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2015, 08:05:32 PM »

DePaul must of heard his salary demands.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2015, 08:17:33 PM »
Man, why such a precipitous fall?  I mean, I get that there may there may be some stink and/or burned bridges, but did Howland kill someone or something?  Nobody seems to want to be seen even entertaining the thought of hiring him.

He fostered a culture of terror, allowing violence, bullying, and drug use.

The winning and pace of play argument is kind of suspect. UCLA won the Pac 12 in his last year and played with a top-40 pace of play. I wonder if Penn State had something to do with his firing. While the length of offenses by Jerry Sandusky was far longer, there seemed to be a lot of fear after that came out and the actions of Reeves Nelson reeked of a lack of institutional control.

It's possible the allegations against him are overstated, and I've no doubt he wants back in to redeem his reputation, but I'd be very wary of Howland after UCLA. No program can say they weren't warned.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2015, 08:32:47 PM »
DePaul is not considered a very strong academic school, it is not in the greatest part of town, they have lost forever, the $$ doesn't seem to be there...that's a tough turd to polish.  

Sorry to come back to this but thus could not be more wrong (note, I literally live about 150 yards from their campus).  It is important to note because the immense wealth around Depaul kills the feeling of a campus.  Marquette has much more of a campus presence than DePaul will ever have.

A few of many examples within a few block walk of Depaul.

The owner of the LA Dodgers, Mark Walters (CEO of Guggenheim), lives in Lincoln Park a few blocks from Depaul.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Date=20140520&Category=CRED06&ArtNo=520009998&Ref=PH#1

Just up the street from him is former Indy 500 Bobby Rahal.  He listed his house for $3.95 million

http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2014/10/14/former-indy-500-champ-bobby-rahal-lists-lincoln-park-home.php

Commerce Secretary Penny Pritzer lives a five minute walk from campus and here house also valued north of $20 million.

http://www.chicagonow.com/getting-real/2013/02/penny-pritzkers-house-1875-n-orchard/

Aeon Founder Richard Parillo built an Italian villa that has a staff of 10 and it 3 blocks from Depaul.

A standard city lot in Chicago is 25 feet wide and 125 feet long.  The lots (tear-downs) are going for $1.3 to $1.5 million.  Again this is just the lot (plus $40k to $50k to tear-down the existing home).

Somebody wrote that Depaul is not a good place from 18 to 23 year olds.  This is correct ... they cannot afford it.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2015, 08:37:37 PM »
Heise baby, where does your crib fall in the mix, bro?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2015, 08:37:50 PM »

I think this is the Best guy for DePaul........If they can finish.

I think DePaul goes all in on Archie Miller. DePaul with a new stadium and the Big East has a lot to offer. He has recruited Chicago very well.

Not sure he'd leave Dayton which has really become a solid program with incredible community support.
We Are Marquette

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2015, 08:43:46 PM »
Heise baby, where does your crib fall in the mix, bro?

If you have to ask ... you cannot afford it!

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2015, 08:46:28 PM »
If you have to ask ... you cannot afford it!

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2015, 08:49:36 PM »

Love this place ... but real chili is better.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2015, 10:43:22 AM »
No Howland for DePaul.

Ben Howland has reached a verbal agreement to become the Mississippi State coach, sources told ESPN. He is en route to Starkville now.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2015, 10:45:52 AM »

If there are public pictures of you drinking with underage athletes. Then there are probably private pictures of even worse transgressions.

Hope Mississippi State can hold their noses
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2015, 10:55:07 AM »
I think DePaul goes all in on Archie Miller. DePaul with a new stadium and the Big East has a lot to offer. He has recruited Chicago very well.

Not sure he'd leave Dayton which has really become a solid program with incredible community support.

Imo, not a chance for DePaul.  Miller was not interested in Marquette.  He will leave Dayton eventually, and it will be for an opportunity perhaps not the same as his brother Sean, but much closer to that type of fit than a DePaul type of situation.   

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2015, 11:01:10 AM »
Mississippi State is the perfect place for Howland to get a start over.  (Similar to Eustachy starting over at Southern Miss.)  Show people you learned from your mistakes, win some games, move up to a bigger job.  (If you want to.)

MSU has some tradition, but it is not a very good job.  Really no access to quality talent.  Starkville is a sh*thole.  Previous coaches won down there with a lot of Juco transfers and the occasion top player that Mississippi seems to generate.  (Went to the 1996 Final Four with Erik Dampier for instance.)

If you can win there, you have earned your stripes.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2015, 11:09:48 AM »
Yeah, but I thought Ben said he'd only get back inta coachin' if the situation was right, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2015, 11:15:20 AM »
Yeah, but I thought Ben said he'd only get back inta coachin' if the situation was right, hey?

Right situation = someone willing to hire him.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2015, 11:19:29 AM »
AKA any port in a storm, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2015, 11:52:05 AM »
Right situation = someone willing to hire him.

When it came out that he wanted UNLV but it never opened, I figured he must just be at home cold calling athletic directors.

"Hello, Mr _________? This is Ben. I was wondering if you've given any thought to your basketball coaching situation. Yes, I understand you already have a coach, but what if I could replace that coach with one that has recruited McDonald's All Americans and been to the Final Four three times. Not only that, he's currently out of work so you wouldn't have to contribute to a buyout. Now how much would you pay for that? $3 million per year? $2.5 million? Well if you give me a verbal agreement today, you can have all that for the low low price of just $2.2 million annually!"

On a serious note, Roy Schmidt is reporting Bobby Hurley is DePaul's top target and there is definite mutual interest.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 23, 2015, 11:54:28 AM »
AKA any port in a storm, hey?

Just like your old days at the 'Lanche.  At 2:00 AM only the "Starkville of Women" remain.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #74 on: March 23, 2015, 02:00:48 PM »
On a serious note, Roy Schmidt is reporting Bobby Hurley is DePaul's top target and there is definite mutual interest.

5 years from owning racehorses and not being a coach, to BE HC.  Not a bad ascension.