'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by tower912
[Today at 06:52:38 AM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: DePaul Coaching Search  (Read 110196 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: DePaul Coaching Search
« Reply #100 on: March 25, 2015, 09:42:22 AM »
Same can be said 'bout T-Cubed and Bumstead, ai na?

The both accomplished more than cashing a paycheck.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #101 on: March 25, 2015, 09:42:49 AM »
They both parlayed one hit wonders inta big paydays.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #102 on: March 25, 2015, 09:43:24 AM »
The way this is going DePaul will end up with Herb Sendek.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #103 on: March 25, 2015, 09:43:37 AM »
Roy Schmidt at Bullseye said Bryce Drew was returning to Valpo 2 days ago, and now Hurley is getting a contract extension at Buffalo.
http://campuswatch.buffalonews.com/2015/03/25/ub-reaches-agreement-in-principle-on-new-contract-with-bobby-hurley/
Sounds like DePaul won't get either of them.

As long as Lenti-Ponsetto is the AD, the sad truth for DePaul will be that they need to hire a men's basketball coach who is savvy enough to know to turn them down.  I expect that Hurley will be asking negotiating for a lot of increased support before he takes the job.  Maybe he'll get it, but I doubt it.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 11:39:23 AM by LittleWade »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #104 on: March 25, 2015, 09:45:54 AM »

Neither MU under Crean nor under Buzz were "one hit wonders," especially compared to the likes of Stan Heath, Bobby Hurley or Keno Davis.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #105 on: March 25, 2015, 09:48:43 AM »
Also see Keno Davis ... Parlayed one good year into a big payday at Providence and is now at Central Michigan.

And how about John Groce?  I would argue he parlayed one upset win in the tourney to get Ohio in the S16 into a payday with Illinois.

Finally Andy Enfield .... Took Florida Gulf Coat to the S16 two years ago, upsetting Georgetown along the way, and parlayed that into USC.

Note to athletic directors, pick a coach based on his performance before the tourney.  Paying coaches for a lucky shot that got their low seed team into the second week is a bad investment.

Disagree on Groce. He was Thad Matta's right-hand man for a long time and played a big role in landing some of the top recruits tOSU got during the mid-2000s (i.e. Oden, Conley, Cook, Mullens, etc.).
Also pulled off more than one upset win in the tourney (beat #3 seed G'Town in 2010, beat #4 seed Michigan in 2012).
His resume was much more stacked than those of Keno and Enfield.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #106 on: March 25, 2015, 09:48:52 AM »

What one hit did they both have?

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #107 on: March 25, 2015, 09:49:10 AM »

Neither MU under Crean nor under Buzz were "one hit wonders," especially compared to the likes of Stan Heath, Bobby Hurley or Keno Davis.

For forever to remember two years out of fifteen is quite a positive sign.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #108 on: March 25, 2015, 09:55:16 AM »
What one hit did they both have?

Crean accomplished a Final Four, thank you DWade, at which he promptly crapped the bed after havin' a week to prepare for Kansas. Buzz ran with the Elite 8 success 'til he worn out his happy.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #109 on: March 25, 2015, 09:58:11 AM »

Crean accomplished a Final Four, thank you DWade, at which he promptly crapped the bed after havin' a week to prepare for Kansas. Buzz ran with the Elite 8 success 'til he worn out his happy.

So neither are apt comparisons.  Thanks for playing.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #110 on: March 25, 2015, 10:14:46 AM »
The latest on Hurley is he and U. of Buffalo have verbally agreed to a contract, which has not yet been signed, and yet he still plans to interview with DePaul. Huh...
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #111 on: March 25, 2015, 10:16:55 AM »
The latest on Hurley is he and U. of Buffalo have verbally agreed to a contract, which has not yet been signed, and yet he still plans to interview with DePaul. Huh...

Only DePaul would be leveraged by a guy who has coached two years and assisted by two more.

If this is indeed what is happening, I would tell Bobby to enjoy his time in Buffalo.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #112 on: March 25, 2015, 10:28:29 AM »

Bothers me a bit too.  So did he shake his AD's hand or not?

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #113 on: March 25, 2015, 10:30:55 AM »
Hurley would make a lot of sense at St.Johns

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #114 on: March 25, 2015, 10:35:27 AM »
#donedeal, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #115 on: March 25, 2015, 12:00:27 PM »

Why would that bother you? Buffalo knows he's looking, so they made an offer to try to get him to stay. Just because they agree what an extension will look like IF he decides to stay, doesn't mean he has to decide to stay. Wouldn't he be wise to see what a contract with depaul might look like as well?

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #116 on: March 25, 2015, 12:09:56 PM »
Anthony Davis, Wayne Blackshear and 2 other top Chicago recruits were all seriously considering going to DePaul as a group. IIRC, one of them got cold feet, committed elsewhere and they all went their separate ways. Imagine how DePaul and Purnell's fortunes would have changed even if they had landed just Davis, let alone 4 top 100 players.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #117 on: March 25, 2015, 04:24:40 PM »

I actually think this is refreshingly honest. Hurley's name is likely no hotter. He is going to listen to a Big East program, albeit the worst one in the conference. The Buffalo AD struck first and said here's your financial leverage when you talk to those clowns in Chicago so suck them dry or come on back when they most probably screw up the hiring process.

Everyone knows where everyone is positioned. Kind of the exact opposite of what we experienced last year.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #118 on: March 25, 2015, 04:37:56 PM »
I actually think this is refreshingly honest. Hurley's name is likely no hotter. He is going to listen to a Big East program, albeit the worst one in the conference. The Buffalo AD struck first and said here's your financial leverage when you talk to those clowns in Chicago so suck them dry or come on back when they most probably screw up the hiring process.

Everyone knows where everyone is positioned. Kind of the exact opposite of what we experienced last year.

I don't know .... the Buffalo contract pays him $550K. That's great for Buffalo and the MAC, but DePaul basically could triple that and still save money compared to what they were paying Purnell (reportedly $1.8 million or more).
So, I don't think this is going to push DePaul outside their comfort zone of what they're willing to spend.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #119 on: March 25, 2015, 05:01:39 PM »
I actually think Corbin would be a great hire. NBA resume as a player and coach, DePaul alum, African American, the dude has been an impressive guy since he stepped into Lincoln Park and is known as a total worker. You watch...he'd be great there.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #120 on: March 25, 2015, 05:07:53 PM »
I actually think Corbin would be a great hire. NBA resume as a player and coach, DePaul alum, African American, the dude has been an impressive guy since he stepped into Lincoln Park and is known as a total worker. You watch...he'd be great there.

Well outside of the fact he was pretty poor as an NBA coach.  This is the same theory that caused NC State to hire Sydney Lowe. 

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #121 on: March 25, 2015, 05:31:42 PM »
Why would that bother you? Buffalo knows he's looking, so they made an offer to try to get him to stay. Just because they agree what an extension will look like IF he decides to stay, doesn't mean he has to decide to stay. Wouldn't he be wise to see what a contract with depaul might look like as well?

If he thanked them for the offer and said he'd get back to them following more due diligence I have no problem.

If he shook hands on the deal pending final paperwork and then continued to look I have a big problem with that, that's all.  Not interested enough in the issue to study the facts too closely.  Hope it's the former situation.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #122 on: March 25, 2015, 05:59:29 PM »

Well outside of the fact he was pretty poor as an NBA coach.  This is the same theory that caused NC State to hire Sydney Lowe. 
Did I miss Lowe's 15 year NBA playing career? Corbin had a mess of a team in Utah. And DePaul isn't in Duke or NC'S backyard.

How about Fred Hoiberg? Worked out pretty well. Kevin Ollie? How did UCONN do last year?

Tyrone Corbin ain't Sidney Lowe, I can assure you.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #123 on: March 25, 2015, 06:12:52 PM »
Did I miss Lowe's 15 year NBA playing career? Corbin had a mess of a team in Utah. And DePaul isn't in Duke or NC'S backyard.

He was there for 4 years.  And the team regressed under him.  And he was a disaster in Sacramento this year.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #124 on: March 25, 2015, 06:20:20 PM »
He was there for 4 years.  And the team regressed under him.  And he was a disaster in Sacramento this year.

In other words, DePaul's kind of coach....

feedback