Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: McKay  (Read 27520 times)

JWags85

• All American
McKay
« on: March 13, 2015, 10:29:49 PM »
Jameel McKay is an absolute beast for ISU.  I wish the best for Burton, but seeing him explode into a stud like McKay has would be brutal.  Love our program's direction, but tough to see former players killing it.

forgetful

• All American
Re: McKay
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 10:53:54 PM »
The big question for Burton is whether he will be willing to play defense, play 100% on both ends of the court and play within the confines of an offense.

If he does, he will be a beast.  If he doesn't, he may have flashy stats, but he won't improve his team.

Often, moving to a different place and hearing the same thing has a way to finally let it sink in, so hopefully it does for him.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 10:55:04 PM »
The big question for Burton is whether he will be willing to play defense, play 100% on both ends of the court and play within the confines of an offense.

If he does, he will be a beast.  If he doesn't, he may have flashy stats, but he won't improve his team.

Often, moving to a different place and hearing the same thing has a way to finally let it sink in, so hopefully it does for him.

See: Maymon, Jeronnie
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 11:30:38 PM »
Yea, it sucks. But I can kind of understand it. Why would he have wanted to stay at MU, redshirt and play in the post? When he could just as easily go to ISU, redshirt and play in the post?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 11:34:56 PM »
Woulda, coulda, shoulda....

Let's move on.
Have some patience, FFS.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 11:40:01 PM »
Jameel McKay is an absolute beast for ISU.  I wish the best for Burton, but seeing him explode into a stud like McKay has would be brutal.  Love our program's direction, but tough to see former players killing it.

Yeah, he's very good.  Yeah, watching him play you can't help but wish he would have stayed.

It was also HIS man that he let slip under the basket for what should have been a tying basket to send tonight's game with OU to overtime (the guy blew the layup).  Not sure what he was thinking, OU was only down two, and he was drifting out ready to cover a guy spotted up beyond the arc.  

« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 11:43:44 PM by HutchwasClutch »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 11:44:28 PM »
Burton will probably be a beast.  But I can't blame Wojo for his departure.  Some think we 'lost' him, but more than likely there was no way we could 'keep' him. Understandably, his head was leading him away from Marquette.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 11:51:07 PM »
Burton will probably be a beast.  But I can't blame Wojo for his departure.  Some think we 'lost' him, but more than likely there was no way we could 'keep' him. Understandably, his head was leading him away from Marquette.

Burton is gone, who cares. He did not want to be in Wojo's system.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 11:52:06 PM »

Agree, and that's because he exuded selfishness on the court, both ends.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 11:57:24 PM »

If you're asking.  I do care.  And it didn't have much to do with Wojo's 'system'.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2015, 12:24:20 AM »

I got the impression Denote wanted to have the ball in his hands and shoot 25 times a game while playing zero defense.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2015, 12:41:56 AM »
Yea, it sucks. But I can kind of understand it. Why would he have wanted to stay at MU, redshirt and play in the post? When he could just as easily go to ISU, redshirt and play in the post?

He wouldn't have red shirted for MU last year, but your point still sort of stands.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 02:17:48 AM by JamilJaeJamailJrJuan »
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2015, 04:20:05 AM »
Burton was a huge loss. I hope he does extremely well at ISU.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2015, 07:00:26 AM »
Jameel McKay is an absolute beast for ISU.  I wish the best for Burton, but seeing him explode into a stud like McKay has would be brutal.  Love our program's direction, but tough to see former players killing it.
Thank you phony douche cowboy Buzzster.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2015, 09:41:41 AM »
If you're asking.  I do care.  And it didn't have much to do with Wojo's 'system'.

Well, the old girlfriend is not coming back, so thinking about what could have been is wasted energy. Move on.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2015, 10:28:08 AM »

He already does. have you been watching? Thanks to the Buzzard for losing this guy.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2015, 12:31:41 PM »
Thinking about McKay really is wasted energy.

To keep him, Buzz probably had two options: Promise him he would have played the 3, which would have been a lie and eventually gotten everybody pissed at Buzz for lying; not let Otule come back for another season, and I think Otule earned that invitation.

McKay, like Maymon, didn't want to hear the truth about where he was best suited.So he bolted and ended up in the exact same position. Good player ... we coulda used him ... but good riddance.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2015, 12:35:44 PM »
Starting Cohen over Burton at start of season probably has a lot to do with why Burton left. Nothing like kicking a kid when he is down with the passing of his mother. To me both Buzz and Wojo unintentionally pushed out McKay and Burton by being inflexible and not looking at the big picture. In my opinion both coaches are inflexible.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2015, 12:49:28 PM »

... we coulda used him ... but good riddance.

Can't be used together. Rofl.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2015, 12:59:16 PM »
Thinking about McKay really is wasted energy.

To keep him, Buzz probably had two options: Promise him he would have played the 3, which would have been a lie and eventually gotten everybody pissed at Buzz for lying; not let Otule come back for another season, and I think Otule earned that invitation.

McKay, like Maymon, didn't want to hear the truth about where he was best suited.So he bolted and ended up in the exact same position. Good player ... we coulda used him ... but good riddance.

McKay left well after the start of the academic year, which meant McKay and Otule both had scholarships. This wasn't an issue of Buzz having to choose between keeping McKay or not letting Otule come back.  Both were on the team.

I suspect (especially after seeing McKay play this year) McKay was easily beating Otule in early practice yet Buzz told him that he was going to be loyal to Otule no matter how hard McKay practiced.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2015, 01:00:12 PM »
Starting Cohen over Burton at start of season probably has a lot to do with why Burton left. Nothing like kicking a kid when he is down with the passing of his mother. To me both Buzz and Wojo unintentionally pushed out McKay and Burton by being inflexible and not looking at the big picture. In my opinion both coaches are inflexible.

Or they were both sending a message that Burton for one reason or another didn't care to hear....

Carlino, Juan and Luke disagree with your opinion about Wojo.....

Duane didn't start the first game either.....Eventually he earned his way into the starting lineup and had a great rookie season....
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 01:26:54 PM by MuMark »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2015, 01:11:26 PM »

I won't pretend to know all the reasons Burton left. Clearly McKay was a loss and Burton could become one as well. But I do fully believe that this year especially, the most important thing is building the future of the program. If, for whatever reason, Burton didn't want to be a part of that, Marquette is better off moving on. We watched this year when Jajuan struggled and how well he responded to being challenged by the coaching staff. That will benefit us going forward, even if Jajuan would elect to transfer now, because it sends the message to current players and recruits about hard work and what the staff expects.

No one player is bigger than the program. No one player will make or break the future of Marquette. My hope is that in 5 years, Wojo has Marquette on firmer footing than at any point of the last 30 years. For that to happen, it won't be about any one player (not even Ellenson) it will be about a strong foundation and a full team that can play at the highest level and buy in to the system. If that means we miss out on a good or even great player for a couple years of his career, so be it.

In the past decade since the transfers really started getting crazy, McKay is the first player that I think the fanbase would really regret losing. Dameon Mason might have been great, but went on to do very little. Reggie Smith, Jamail Jones, Erik Williams, etc for the most part did very little after leaving. Honestly, I'm okay with coaches being inflexible as long as they can bring in players that will work within their system.

When Buzz took over, he anticipated 1-2 transfers per year because of his inflexibility. I'm okay with that. When Wojo took over, while he kept the team together, it would have been a bit naive to believe all of the players he started with would end their careers here. I'm far more concerned with the future and bringing in guys that buy into his system than trying to bend to the ones that were from another regime and won't be around as long.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2015, 01:30:46 PM »
McKay left well after the start of the academic year, which meant McKay and Otule both had scholarships. This wasn't an issue of Buzz having to choose between keeping McKay or not letting Otule come back.  Both were on the team.

I suspect (especially after seeing McKay play this year) McKay was easily beating Otule in early practice yet Buzz told him that he was going to be loyal to Otule no matter how hard McKay practiced.

If your suspicion is right, and it makes sense, because that was Buzz's MO, his way or the highway-- McKay, Duane, Otule, Derrick, etc.) it was just another nail for the phony cowboy--no wonder MU administration showed him the ass slamming door.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2015, 01:33:15 PM »
I won't pretend to know all the reasons Burton left. Clearly McKay was a loss and Burton could become one as well. But I do fully believe that this year especially, the most important thing is building the future of the program. If, for whatever reason, Burton didn't want to be a part of that, Marquette is better off moving on. We watched this year when Jajuan struggled and how well he responded to being challenged by the coaching staff. That will benefit us going forward, even if Jajuan would elect to transfer now, because it sends the message to current players and recruits about hard work and what the staff expects.

No one player is bigger than the program. No one player will make or break the future of Marquette. My hope is that in 5 years, Wojo has Marquette on firmer footing than at any point of the last 30 years. For that to happen, it won't be about any one player (not even Ellenson) it will be about a strong foundation and a full team that can play at the highest level and buy in to the system. If that means we miss out on a good or even great player for a couple years of his career, so be it.

In the past decade since the transfers really started getting crazy, McKay is the first player that I think the fanbase would really regret losing. Dameon Mason might have been great, but went on to do very little. Reggie Smith, Jamail Jones, Erik Williams, etc for the most part did very little after leaving. Honestly, I'm okay with coaches being inflexible as long as they can bring in players that will work within their system.

When Buzz took over, he anticipated 1-2 transfers per year because of his inflexibility. I'm okay with that. When Wojo took over, while he kept the team together, it would have been a bit naive to believe all of the players he started with would end their careers here. I'm far more concerned with the future and bringing in guys that buy into his system than trying to bend to the ones that were from another regime and won't be around as long.
So, you are OK with what? 1-2 transfers per year or inflexibility? Neither are good traits for a college coach, IMO. I guess it is just the "In Buzz we trust" jones, ai'na.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2015, 01:37:48 PM »
Next man up, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"