[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Freshman ineligible again.....?  (Read 30322 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks

GGGG

• All American
Re: Freshman ineligible again.....?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 01:36:22 PM »
Potentially interesting times ahead

http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2015/2/14/8038431/freshmen-ineligible-college-sports-nba-age-limit

Will be interesting to see if this happens.  Men's basketball only seems to be a bit unfair however. 

Also interesting is the re-emergence of a type of Prop 48.

"Raised academic standards are already coming to college basketball in 2016. A scholarship athlete will now need a 2.3 GPA in high school to compete. Previously, the bar was set at 2.0."

If they between a 2.0 and a 2.3, they get to come to campus and practice, but are forced to use a redshirt as a freshman.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 01:45:34 PM »

http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2015/2/14/8038431/freshmen-ineligible-college-sports-nba-age-limit

So, are the member schools prepared to raise the number of scholarships back up too to fill in freshmen teams and to avoid concussion lawsuits in football because teams are too thinly manned with only now 60 varsity football scholarships and 20 freshmen. Revenue and Olympic sports still to be in Title IV compliance? Or, will there just be only football for men and 10 women sports? Title IV changed things since 1972.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 01:47:32 PM »
So, are the member schools prepared to raise the number of scholarships back up too to fill in freshmen teams and to avoid concussion lawsuits in football because teams are too thinly manned with only now 60 varsity football scholarships and 20 freshmen. Revenue and Olympic sports still to be in Title IV compliance? Or, will there just be only football for men and 10 women sports? Title IV changed things since 1972.

This looks like basketball only to me

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 01:53:35 PM »
This looks like basketball only to me

Sounds like a discrimination lawsuit waiting to happen if just one sport is singled out by the NCAA.  What this will do is send freshmen overseas or to JUCOs for one year.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 02:18:29 PM »
Sounds like a discrimination lawsuit waiting to happen if just one sport is singled out by the NCAA.  What this will do is send freshmen overseas or to JUCOs for one year.

Maybe, but there are already different rules governing baseball, football, basketball around things like going pro, etc.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 02:44:01 PM »
Yup, and the good ones won't be playing at Ky. as frosh if this happened.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 03:11:14 PM »
Yup, and the good ones won't be playing at Ky. as frosh if this happened.

The oversees thing is an option today, and it is rarely used.  Maybe this pushes others to go there, but half these kids can't get away from their posse enough to even got 2 hours away, going across the pond is too much for many of them.

As for the JUCO route, certainly some could and maybe they should.  They'll love the 1,500 that attend the games and the bus rides, etc.  People have to choose what they want.

brandx

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 05:41:47 PM »
So, let me get this straight.

These adult males - mostly black - will be banned from playing both Varsity college basketball and from the NBA.

Gotta luv Amurica!

PS - I am not saying they are talking about this move for racial reasons. I am saying that will be the perceived reason. And in this dumbed-down, TMZ lovin' country (and maybe everywhere for that matter), perception is truth.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2015, 05:48:40 PM »
This is a real joke -- get accustom to college life???  What about all the other athletes that don't play basketball - do they also need to get acclimated. I don't see how this passes but if it did across the 'power 5' - the Big East should immediately declare that they will let freshman play.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2015, 06:04:21 PM »
As usual the NCAA and other buereacrats with their heads up their rear ends in wanting to bring back a rule that was archaic and outdated back in the early 1970's when it was last overturned.

Penalize all freshman and make them sit a year under the stupid pretense that they need a year to adjust to college life and pretend it's going to help improve quality of play at the NCAA and NBA levels.  It's night and day the different in 2015 than it was in the 1960's and early 70's when this rule was in place.  Kids are exposed to so much more nowadays before they even reach college: academically, athletically, and socially.  

You want to really improve quality of NCAA and NBA basketball?  Do what baseball does.  You want to go to college, fine, you're making a three year commitment, minimum.  You want to go pro right out of high school and forfeit college eligiblity?  Fine too.  This is America, we shouldn't be artifically holding down for a whole year our best and most talented if they want to go to the NBA, either under the current system or bringing back frosh ineligibility.   Sure, some will make stupid, ill-informed decisions in that regard, but that's life.  It isn't, or shouldn't be a death sentence for life.  You can still get your life back on track and do something if the NBA dream falls apart, which it will for some.  

But in the meantime, you'll have kids far more ready for the NBA than they are under the current stupid, bad, one and done system, or bringing back the even more moronic system of forcing all kids to sit a year.  I'd aruge it will harm college and NBA basketball even more to reinstitute this rule.  How many top 50-100 guys coming out of high school are going to say yes to college and sit out a whole year?  What world do these people live in, seriously? So then you'll get more kids than you have now going to the NBA and failing, and hurting the college game in the process.

And I'd argue too you'll still have plenty of kids choosing college with the three year commitment because of what would be at stake and the high risk/high reward sceanrio if you choose going pro.

The NCAA and it's stupidity just knows no bounds.  They take a problem and just f*** it up more.  It is so pathetic and really sad, and everyone is going to share in the abundance of this failure if it happens.  
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 06:39:49 PM by HutchwasClutch »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2015, 06:21:10 PM »
This is a real joke -- get accustom to college life???  What about all the other athletes that don't play basketball - do they also need to get acclimated. I don't see how this passes but if it did across the 'power 5' - the Big East should immediately declare that they will let freshman play.

The difference in the other sports is they aren't leaving after one year so it is "built in" that they will become adjusted to college life, as they have no other option.  That would be my guess, anyway.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2015, 06:22:55 PM »
I tell ya, Swofford, the ACC commish's comments are enough to make you vomit, talking about educational, student life balance, blah, blah, blah.  What a f***ing hypocrite, after his conference single handedly destroyed the Big East, not once, but twice (pre and post MU's membership).  Yeah, sure, you're all about education and student athletes succeeding between the lines and in the classroom you phony.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2015, 06:23:44 PM »
The difference in the other sports is they aren't leaving after one year so it is "built in" that they will become adjusted to college life, as they have no other option.  That would be my guess, anyway.

I hear you but why go fix the symptom instead of the problem.  The 'power 5' or the NCAA needs to get their head checked.  Freshman are a part of their product and make it more exciting.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 06:27:50 PM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2015, 06:26:55 PM »
The difference in the other sports is they aren't leaving after one year so it is "built in" that they will become adjusted to college life, as they have no other option.  That would be my guess, anyway.

You aren't really being suckered in to the horse manure these creeps are trying to peddle to the public, are you???

brandx

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2015, 06:27:50 PM »
I tell ya, Swofford, the ACC commish's comments are enough to make you vomit, talking about educational, student life balance, blah, blah, blah.  What a f***ing hypocrite, after his conference single handedly destroyed the Big East, not once, but twice (pre and post MU's membership).  Yeah, sure, you're all about education and student athletes succeeding between the lines and in the classroom you phony.

He obviously wasn't too worried about the student-athletes learning experience at UNC.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2015, 06:29:14 PM »
He obviously wasn't too worried about the student-athletes learning experience at UNC.

Exactly.

TheButlerDidIt

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2015, 06:42:30 PM »
I'm sure this has been discussed, but has basketball ever considered going the baseball route?

High school seniors can go pro; however, if they opt not to, they can only go pro after their college junior season.

brandx

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2015, 06:56:30 PM »

Really???

They obviously aren't leaving from basketball. 5,500 BB players in Div. 1 last year and how many freshman left for the NBA?

I believe it was the whopping total of 9.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2015, 07:05:31 PM »
You want to really improve quality of NCAA and NBA basketball?  Do what baseball does.  You want to go to college, fine, you're making a three year commitment, minimum.  You want to go pro right out of high school and forfeit college eligiblity?

I think the NCAA would be all for that.

Problem is that the NBA isn't.  And the rule for baseball that you reference above is MLB's rule.  The NCAA can't require a three year commitment unless the NBA gets it into the CBA with the union.  And the union has made it clear they aren't going any further than one and done.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2015, 07:06:46 PM »

That would be a brilliant move on the Big East's part.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2015, 07:08:09 PM »

I think this is posturing by the college presidents. NBA Union will back down and eventually let it move to two and done.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2015, 07:11:39 PM »
I think this is posturing by the college presidents. NBA Union will back down and eventually let it move to two and done.

What motivation do they have for doing so?

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2015, 07:17:56 PM »
What motivation do they have for doing so?

Improving their product, but they're too greedy, selfish, and short sighted to view it that way unfortunately.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2015, 07:19:49 PM »

I think the NCAA would be all for that.

Problem is that the NBA isn't.  And the rule for baseball that you reference above is MLB's rule.  The NCAA can't require a three year commitment unless the NBA gets it into the CBA with the union.  And the union has made it clear they aren't going any further than one and done.

Yes, the second part of your post I didn't think of that, and you're right of course.

The first statement, uh, I truly wonder?  You really believe the NCAA has the wisdom to do what's right?  I sure have zero confidence.  These guys are a bunch of empty suit bureaucrats who only care about their own expansion and power. 

feedback