[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Freshman ineligible again.....?  (Read 30328 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Freshman ineligible again.....?
« Reply #100 on: May 01, 2015, 09:08:48 PM »
I understand what you are saying, but you are misguided. I work with college athletes on a daily basis. The players who redshirt are often required to go to a lot of the meetings, they don't always travel with the team, they go to team practices but often don't have the same level of individual attention that active players do, there are many events that they are not required to go to. Plus, the pressure is different and that makes a world of difference.

As a caveat, I will say there is less of a benefit for basketball players. Because the team is smaller, they are usually required to do all the things non-redshirts do. What I described is more common in sports like football, baseball, and the Olympic sports.

Exactly.  That is also the same experience I had in my 7 years in intercollegiate athletic departments.  Not nearly the same level of mandatory stuff, but the key is the pressure part.  When you know you aren't going to play, it's completely different. I'd compare it to attending a meeting where you are giving an hour long presentation and leading the meeting vs just being a guy at the meeting.  A totally different level of stress, pressure, etc, yet both are in the same meeting, or on the same team. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Freshman ineligible again.....?
« Reply #101 on: May 01, 2015, 09:10:19 PM »
Look at the reality of college basketball today. Would you be satisfied with Marquette having 5 eligible players next year? Because that'd be the reality without eligible true freshmen.

The ONLY ways around it would be JUCOs or immediately eligible graduate transfers, both of which you have spoken out against. So which is the lesser evil?

I think the reality is that if this rule goes into effect it would be put into place several years down the road, that would allow for roster management to be impacted differently.  I suspect you might also see some other changes with this rule, most notably extra scholarships to avoid what you are highlighting.