[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Des Monies Register: Peterson: Nick Noskowiak latest Marquette to ISU story  (Read 3456 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Peterson: Nick Noskowiak latest Marquette to ISU story

The Des Monies Register
5:36 p.m. CDT April 26, 2015

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/iowa-state/randy-peterson/2015/04/26/nick-noskowiak-accepts-iowa-state-coach-fred-hoibergs-scholarship-offer/26369475/

They might as well name the road between Marquette and Iowa State "The Cyclone Highway." Another former Golden Eagle is heading to Ames.

Nick Noskowiak made official what everyone has suspected for weeks on Sunday: He accepted Iowa State coach Fred Hoiberg's scholarship offer, and he actually did it during a face-to-face, player-to-coach conversation.

That's right. Three days after returning home from the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., and nine days after undergoing his second open heart surgery in 10 years — The Mayor was back in the office.

"Fred looked great," said Noskowiak, who met with his new coach at the practice facility Sunday. "He doesn't look like a guy who just had a major surgery like that. He's a warrior."

The Sun Prairie (Wis.) High School senior committed to Marquette when Buzz Williams was the coach, then opened his recruiting when Williams went to Virginia Tech. Noskowiak signed a letter of intent with new Golden Eagles coach Steve Wojciechowski, then was granted a release in February.

"I'm in a good place," Noskowiak said in a phone interview just before signing the official papers Sunday. "This is where I want to be."

At Iowa State he joins Jameel McKay, who attended Marquette but didn't play basketball, and Deonte Burton, who averaged 5.8 points and 3.0 rebounds in 40 games during two seasons with the Golden Eagles before transferring last January. He'll be eligible in mid-December, after the first semester. Iowa State has two more scholarships available for next season.

"I'm already around guys that I know and feel comfortable with," Noskowiak said. "That's' important to me."

And don't forget Marquette transfer Scott Christopherson, who played three seasons at Iowa State between 2010 and 2012.

"Not sure what it is about Iowa State and Marquette," Noskowiak said. "All I know is that I have a great relationship with everybody at Iowa State. That's the most important thing for me."

Noskowiak averaged 24 points last season. He missed 11 games for family reasons.

"I don't want to get into all that happened," Noskowiak said. "It was just some personal family struggles — nothing really beyond that. I'm not going to get into it more."

Noskowiak fills an important role at Iowa State, first as Monte Morris' understudy, and then possibly the starter, should Morris turn pro after his junior season.

"It's going to be pretty cool to compete and learn every day from the best point guard in the country," Noskowiak said.

Noskowiak has a long relationship with Cyclones assistant coach T.J. Otzelberger, a Milwaukee native. He also knows Georges Niang and Naz Long, who will be seniors on an Iowa State team that ESPN and USA TODAY already has pegged as a preseason Top Five.

"I visited Iowa State when I was a sophomore," Noskowiak said. "I've been talking to T.J., Naz, and Georges ever since."

It just took him a while to find the highway that leads to where they live.

WarriorPride68

• All American
Iowa state can suck it

willie warrior

• All American
Maybe Iowa State can be dubbed "The Home of MU Recruiting Foul Ups."
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

NickelDimer

• All American
Imitation's the sincerest form of flattery :-\
No Finish Line

79Warrior

• All American
Maybe Iowa State can be dubbed "The Home of MU Recruiting Foul Ups."

I will be interesting to see how Deonte plays. NN has the potential to be a real good player. Preseason Top 5 for Iowa State. Pretty impressive.

4everwarriors

• All American
That's after they peed themselves in this year's Tourney, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ecompt

• All American
At least Nick and Deonte never have to worry about attending class again.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
ISU = Marquette West.
SS Marquette

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"

Is that the same as puking dogs?

Death on call

VegasWarrior77

• All American

Screwed up my brackets...
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein