'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Singler's Line on the Night  (Read 3302 times)

Mayor McCheese

• All American
Singler's Line on the Night
« on: November 21, 2007, 11:26:31 PM »
Kyle Singler, the MVP of the tournament, well ESPN announced his line for the night, it looked like this

25 pts, 6 Reb, 22 flops...

cant believe a veteran officiating crew would allow him to hit the deck everytime the Marquette player he was guarding got the ball in the post, it was ridiculous... honestly, the one where Hayward spun, didn't touch him, and he fell was just amazing... heres the question?

did Coach K teach him that, or did he learn it on his own...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

TVDirector

• All American
Re: Singler's Line on the Night
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 11:30:44 PM »
it's a learned thang.
duke has been doing it since the invention of the fosbury flop

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 11:32:15 PM »
it's a learned thang.
duke has been doing it since the invention of the fosbury flop

I don't remember anyone using it as much... he is the biggest wuss I have ever seen... he will be eaten alive when they play UNC, honestly, that crap doesn't fly in ACC play.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 11:36:38 PM »
the entire UW/Duke game will be spent with 10 guys either laying on the floor or getting up to flop again.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 11:40:01 PM »
He will make the All-Ugly team with our pal Harangody too.  His head looks like a peanut...

ToddPacker

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 11:41:26 PM »
the entire UW/Duke game will be spent with 10 guys either laying on the floor or getting up to flop again.

LMAO.  Excellent.  I think worlds are going to collide a la Seinfeld and independent/relationship George when those two teams meet.  How will the refs know who to call the foul on?

BuzzSucksSucks

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2007, 12:14:31 AM »
B. The Duke Flop.

Perhaps the biggest reason for the disparity in foul totals is the outrageous manner in which game officials apply the ever-subjective offensive foul rule. You know the scenario: An opposing player blows by a slower Duke defender while being closely guarded thirty feet from the basket. As the player races to the hoop for a lay-up, another Duke player jumps into his path, often while the offensive player is in the air, deliberately causing a dangerous collision near the basket. The late arriving defender falls over backward, arms flailing, with a melodramatic shriek. As sure as the sun sets in the West, one of the three game referees will run to the scene, often from far out of position, hand clasped behind his head, whistle sounding loudly, all with Krzyzewski's pumping fist signaling his approval in the background. Of course, when the opposition attempts to return the favor, the call is just as surely a block or, at best, a no call....

From:  Why We Hate Duke: A comprehensive analysis, Second Edition

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2007, 12:19:41 AM »
Give Coach K some props here...one thing he picked up while coaching the Olympic team in Europe WAS the Flop!

Here's the pic - Isn't Singler falling the wrong way?!?:

Hey Mods...how about a Caption Contest for this bad boy?
SS Marquette

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2007, 12:23:33 AM »
B. The Duke Flop.

Perhaps the biggest reason for the disparity in foul totals is the outrageous manner in which game officials apply the ever-subjective offensive foul rule. You know the scenario: An opposing player blows by a slower Duke defender while being closely guarded thirty feet from the basket. As the player races to the hoop for a lay-up, another Duke player jumps into his path, often while the offensive player is in the air, deliberately causing a dangerous collision near the basket. The late arriving defender falls over backward, arms flailing, with a melodramatic shriek. As sure as the sun sets in the West, one of the three game referees will run to the scene, often from far out of position, hand clasped behind his head, whistle sounding loudly, all with Krzyzewski's pumping fist signaling his approval in the background. Of course, when the opposition attempts to return the favor, the call is just as surely a block or, at best, a no call....

From:  Why We Hate Duke: A comprehensive analysis, Second Edition

wow, that is 100% true, amazing

chapman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2007, 01:16:29 AM »
Hey Mods...how about a Caption Contest for this bad boy?

(Face)Planters Peanut(head)s?

reesiecup210

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2007, 02:57:00 AM »
Superman that OHHHHHH!

Duke sucks.

CWSKeith

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2007, 04:35:28 AM »
This is what I posted on another board:

Don't get me started on the announcers.  I love how they dance around it ("it" being Duke getting completely favored in the foul calls), too.  There was an exchange where Raffetery (sp?) said something like, "Duke usually makes more free throws than their opponent takes!"  Any objective mind would question why that is, but of course it's always attributed to Duke players just "knowing" how to get to the line.

What a crock.

I'm not terribly worried about that game.  I don't think anyone on Marquette played terribly.  Wes Matthews finally stepped up a bit, Hayward looks like he's improved a bunch and even James was impressive -- I've really enjoyed watching Dominic cause havoc defensively.  Not that this was a fantastic defensive effort, mind you, but as I said earlier, I come away comfortable despite the fact that we won't be taking home the title.

4everwarriors

• All American
I, For One...
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2007, 08:22:44 AM »
was very impressed with Singler. Ugly or not, flop or foul, the dude is one hell of a player, especially for a freshman. He was clutch and seemed very intelligent on the floor. Would look great in a Warriors' uni and just the type of player we need to do some major damage in March.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

HarveysWallbangers

Re: I, For One...
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2007, 09:20:45 AM »
was very impressed with Singler. Ugly or not, flop or foul, the dude is one hell of a player, especially for a freshman. He was clutch and seemed very intelligent on the floor. Would look great in a Warriors' uni and just the type of player we need to do some major damage in March.

And it looks like he's beaten out Scheyer.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2007, 09:29:33 AM »
Actually Henderson has beaten out Scheyer.  Singler is a 4, not a 2.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2007, 10:18:21 AM »
Superman that OHHHHHH!

Duke sucks.

DING! DING!

WINNER WINNER TURKEY DINNER!

LOL!!! ROFL!

:D
SS Marquette

chefrad

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2007, 10:02:09 PM »

Shane Battier was so renowned for that flop that the Maryland cheerleaders used to fall down in unison when he came on the court.

The pros taught him real quick that this crap didn't play in the NBA. Shaq almost put him in the hospital.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2007, 11:48:37 PM »
It will be a laff riot when the Baajrs meet Dook!  I thought Singler was a transfer from U Dub. He flops like a red shirt, 6th year baajr.  It's sad, because he has great skills- 4ever hit on the head- I'd love to see him in a warrior uni.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2007, 12:24:11 AM »

for all you soccer fans out there, this reminded me of Didier Drogba's little run in with Jens Lehmann where they hit each other after the play and flopped upon receiving the blow.