[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by warriorchick
[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Let's not do what I know half of you want to do  (Read 23925 times)

🏀

• All American

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: Let's not do what I know half of you want to do
« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2015, 12:36:01 PM »
I actually think Texas Western isn't completely clueless, but for some reason he has a personal issue with Wojo and Carlino and any logic he has goes out the window when posting about the two of them.  

My biggest problem with TW is that his attacks on the two of them are personal and usually have nothing to do with their coaching or playing ability.  

+1

And you could add Derrick to TW's hit list.

The suspicion of a tie between TW and JJJ stems largely from the fact that TW  rips anyone who he thinks might be limiting JJJ's playing time.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 12:38:37 PM by GooooMarquette »

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2015, 02:38:59 PM »
Maybe he is JjJ

I have thought that there is a chance he is JJJ, but then I realized how insulting that would be to JJJ as I am sure he has more maturity than TW. 

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #78 on: February 09, 2015, 03:06:39 PM »
Anyone heard any updates on Carlino's status for Xavier tomorrow night?
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #79 on: February 09, 2015, 03:08:28 PM »
Anyone heard any updates on Carlino's status for Xavier tomorrow night?

Velasquez tweeted that he is "questionable."

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #80 on: February 09, 2015, 03:12:20 PM »
I have thought that there is a chance he is JJJ, but then I realized how insulting that would be to JJJ as I am sure he has more maturity than TW. 

1) There has never been a chance that TW is JJJ.  JJJ isn't that classless, or clueless about basketball.

2) Even if there was a remote possibility of TW being JJJ, I haven't noticed JJJ on his phone on the bench, so I don't think he could be posting on MUScoop while an MU game is going on.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #81 on: February 09, 2015, 09:03:01 PM »
Velasquez tweeted that he is "questionable."
It would be medically irresponsible to bring back a kid that soon after a concussion. His life is more important than a few three pointers. Give him another week and then he will be back chucking away.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #82 on: February 09, 2015, 09:22:29 PM »
It would be medically irresponsible to bring back a kid that soon after a concussion. His life is more important than a few three pointers. Give him another week and then he will be back chucking away.

I really hope nobody actually connected to the program is as classless as you are. Sad if it's true.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #83 on: February 09, 2015, 09:30:43 PM »
Chico's

Actually a tougher critic in this case. Biased if character being attacked but completely unbiased in terms of basketball. I have watched his career on TV over the years, dating back to HS days in Indiana and had some "negative" bias in aspects of his game before this season. To me, he has proven to be a savvy veteran, tough competitor and a high desire to win. Keeping a winning attitude on a losing team is tough and I would think even tougher if losing all close games.

I am sure he knows he was/is a lightning rod to some fans and still wants the ball in his hands when the game counts most. Truthfully I cannot remember a guy in most recent memory that has had the ball more in crunch time. Most guys run from the ball and he runs to the ball. Trust me, I fully understand his game and not looking for number to be retired. That said, I believe this year would have been beyond ugly without him. Very happy that Wojo wanted him.

Goose, I was teasing.  Appreciate the follow-up.  As stated, I think he's a quality player, just wish we had him last year or next year....but that's not how life works.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #84 on: February 09, 2015, 09:35:19 PM »
Which is why I said "most prolific" and not "best".
However, since his 3pt percentage is also in the top 10 in the league, for anyone to use the word "chucker" to describe him is ridiculous.

If you want to argue that he's not good for the team as a whole, I would completely disagree, but would at least concede that the jury is still out on that.
I hope he's ready to play again soon and we don't have a chance to find out.

I guess we all have our definitions for things.  In my view, too many settled for shots that end up being 3 point attempts or rushed 3 pointers early in the clock....not so much now, but earlier in the season.  That's my opinion.

I do think the guys stand around and watch too much, especially at the end of the shot clock or the end of the game.  I suspect since he is the most veteran person on the team players are deferring to him as a default.  Would not be surprising.   I hope he's ready to play again soon, also.  If the guys can mix in their own confidence and not defer as much, plus allow MC to perform, that would be a nice outcome.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #85 on: February 09, 2015, 09:46:39 PM »
I guess we all have our definitions for things.  In my view, too many settled for shots that end up being 3 point attempts or rushed 3 pointers early in the clock....not so much now, but earlier in the season.  That's my opinion.

I do think the guys stand around and watch too much, especially at the end of the shot clock or the end of the game.  I suspect since he is the most veteran person on the team players are deferring to him as a default.  Would not be surprising.   I hope he's ready to play again soon, also.  If the guys can mix in their own confidence and not defer as much, plus allow MC to perform, that would be a nice outcome.

+1

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #86 on: February 09, 2015, 10:08:37 PM »
Matt Carlino is our best player this year and has proven to be a leader. I would take ten Matt Carlino's and take my chances every year. He has high basketball IQ and a helluva of a competitor. On a team that he could have tried to only showcase his skills in the hopes of playing at the next level he has been a team player first. I hope Wojo gets more guys that have talent and understand the game as well as Carlino does.

This.

Carlino is showing the younger guys leadership and confidence on offense.

Derrick is doing the same on defense.

Both of these guys are setting great examples in their own way.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #87 on: February 10, 2015, 08:39:39 AM »
+1

And you could add Derrick to TW's hit list.

The suspicion of a tie between TW and JJJ stems largely from the fact that TW  rips anyone who he thinks might be limiting JJJ's playing time.
Derrick is simply not a qualified point guard. I believe he has a viable role as an undersized athletic 3 with a defensive orientation. He should not be in the game during the last 5 minutes.  He is deserving a role on the team just not the role he is playing. The objective is for MU to win games and put the most effective combinations on the floor at all times.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #88 on: February 10, 2015, 08:52:18 AM »
Derrick is simply not a qualified point guard. I believe he has a viable role as an undersized athletic 3 with a defensive orientation. He should not be in the game during the last 5 minutes.  He is deserving a role on the team just not the role he is playing. The objective is for MU to win games and put the most effective combinations on the floor at all times.

"Simply not a qualified point guard."  D1 coaches seem to disagree with your opinion.

Derrick is currently #23 in all of D1 (and leading the BE) in A/T ratio.  We would be losing possessions with anyone else at PG.  Hard to score if you don't have the ball.

But thanks for your opinion, Mr. Johnson.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #89 on: February 10, 2015, 09:03:02 AM »
Anybody who says that Derrick should play the 3 (or 4) shows a complete lack of understanding of the game of basketball.

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #90 on: February 10, 2015, 11:23:26 AM »
Anybody who says that Derrick should play the 3 (or 4) shows a complete lack of understanding of the game of basketball.

I think Texas Western has shown us many times his complete lack of understanding of the game of basketball so I would actually be more shocked if he had some knowledgeable input.  Nice to see him staying consistent.  At least in this case he is just criticizing Derek's point guard abilities, as opposed to attacking his character, as he seems to enjoy doing in regards to Wojo and Carlino.