[Today at 03:10:06 AM]

south jordan best online hookup site by MarquetteVol
[April 19, 2024, 11:53:22 PM]

santa rosa flirt adult by JakeBarnes
[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Let's not do what I know half of you want to do  (Read 23929 times)

MUDPT

• All American
Re: Let's not do what I know half of you want to do
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2015, 07:59:00 AM »
I like Carlino, has brought a lot to this team.  But does anyone have an idea on how he has the worst 2-pt. FG% on the team?  He's at 37.2%.  Next closest is Sandy at 41.4%.  Is it all of those forced shots at the end of shot clocks? 

WarriorPA

• Walk-On
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2015, 08:26:06 AM »
I like Carlino, has brought a lot to this team.  But does anyone have an idea on how he has the worst 2-pt. FG% on the team?  He's at 37.2%.  Next closest is Sandy at 41.4%.  Is it all of those forced shots at the end of shot clocks? 

He manages to be very poor at layups. I always joke during games that I don't want him taking layups because he misses them all, but that stat might actually prove that. He's a great shooter, but not a great finisher at the rim.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2015, 08:48:03 AM »
Matt Carlino is our best player this year and has proven to be a leader. I would take ten Matt Carlino's and take my chances every year. He has high basketball IQ and a helluva of a competitor. On a team that he could have tried to only showcase his skills in the hopes of playing at the next level he has been a team player first. I hope Wojo gets more guys that have talent and understand the game as well as Carlino does.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2015, 08:53:57 AM »
Matt Carlino is our best player this year and has proven to be a leader. I would take ten Matt Carlino's and take my chances every year. He has high basketball IQ and a helluva of a competitor. On a team that he could have tried to only showcase his skills in the hopes of playing at the next level he has been a team player first. I hope Wojo gets more guys that have talent and understand the game as well as Carlino does.

You might be a touch bias ....    ;D

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2015, 08:55:23 AM »
As of Wednesday, Carlino was first in the league in made 3pt baskets per game (3.4).

http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/012615aab.html

That's partly because of volume, he takes more 3 point attempts than anyone in the league.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2015, 08:59:33 AM »
Any player is better than an empty scholarship (unless there are significant off the court issues). To suggest we are better without Carlino defies all logic.

However, playing without him may have changed the psychology of some of our players. It made them think that had to step in this game. Car3no wouldn't be riding in to save them.

What's best for the team is if the players maintain that psychology AND Carlino is on the floor. That may mean giving Carlino a few less minutes.

Do not recall anyone saying the scholarship shouldn't have been filled.

Agreed with your last statement.  My concern with someone like Carlino is that the development of other guys is retarded with the volume of minutes and shots he takes.  He is doing what he can to help us win games.  I do not consider him selfish, he is a good ballplayer, but in watching our team when he is on the court, we defer way too much. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2015, 09:14:09 AM »
Chico's

Actually a tougher critic in this case. Biased if character being attacked but completely unbiased in terms of basketball. I have watched his career on TV over the years, dating back to HS days in Indiana and had some "negative" bias in aspects of his game before this season. To me, he has proven to be a savvy veteran, tough competitor and a high desire to win. Keeping a winning attitude on a losing team is tough and I would think even tougher if losing all close games.

I am sure he knows he was/is a lightning rod to some fans and still wants the ball in his hands when the game counts most. Truthfully I cannot remember a guy in most recent memory that has had the ball more in crunch time. Most guys run from the ball and he runs to the ball. Trust me, I fully understand his game and not looking for number to be retired. That said, I believe this year would have been beyond ugly without him. Very happy that Wojo wanted him.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2015, 10:03:09 AM »
When talking about Carlino we should keep in mind that because we are so offensively challenged as a team he often ends up with the ball in his hands in difficult spots at the end of the shot clock. His shooting % is very much hurt by this.

Often when a team loses its best player they come together and play better for a game or two. That and the fact that we were playing 6 against 4 whenever Whitehead was in the game got us a much needed win. But suggesting that MU is better off without Carlino, LA is better off without Kobe, etc., is dumb.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2015, 10:31:08 AM »
Maybe a better way for me to state it...I would have loved Carlino on last year's team as I think it would have benefited DG tremendously.  Would love to have him next year....this is an odd year where his skill set is important, but it also hampers others.  IMO.

I guess if I wanted MC last year or next year, that doesn't fit with Wade's conspiracy theory, but I'm sure a new one will be cooked up.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2015, 12:15:09 PM »
Chico's

Actually a tougher critic in this case. Biased if character being attacked but completely unbiased in terms of basketball. I have watched his career on TV over the years, dating back to HS days in Indiana and had some "negative" bias in aspects of his game before this season. To me, he has proven to be a savvy veteran, tough competitor and a high desire to win. Keeping a winning attitude on a losing team is tough and I would think even tougher if losing all close games.

I am sure he knows he was/is a lightning rod to some fans and still wants the ball in his hands when the game counts most. Truthfully I cannot remember a guy in most recent memory that has had the ball more in crunch time. Most guys run from the ball and he runs to the ball. Trust me, I fully understand his game and not looking for number to be retired. That said, I believe this year would have been beyond ugly without him. Very happy that Wojo wanted him.

Saw him and a lady friend a few Saturday afternoons ago at Parkside 23. Seems like a fine young man and representative of our university.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2015, 02:11:16 PM »
That's partly because of volume, he takes more 3 point attempts than anyone in the league.

Which is why I said "most prolific" and not "best".
However, since his 3pt percentage is also in the top 10 in the league, for anyone to use the word "chucker" to describe him is ridiculous.

If you want to argue that he's not good for the team as a whole, I would completely disagree, but would at least concede that the jury is still out on that.
I hope he's ready to play again soon and we don't have a chance to find out.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

brandx

« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2015, 03:16:46 PM »
Do not recall anyone saying the scholarship shouldn't have been filled.

Agreed with your last statement.  My concern with someone like Carlino is that the development of other guys is retarded with the volume of minutes and shots he takes.  He is doing what he can to help us win games.  I do not consider him selfish, he is a good ballplayer, but in watching our team when he is on the court, we defer way too much. 

Carlino is NOT a high volume shooter.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2015, 03:25:58 PM »
Which is why I said "most prolific" and not "best".
However, since his 3pt percentage is also in the top 10 in the league, for anyone to use the word "chucker" to describe him is ridiculous.

And it's also the best 3P% of his collegiate career by a wide, wide margin.  His next made three-pointer will be a career high, and he's still 30 shy of his career high in attempts.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2015, 04:14:06 PM »
And it's also the best 3P% of his collegiate career by a wide, wide margin.  His next made three-pointer will be a career high, and he's still 30 shy of his career high in attempts.

So you're saying we better hope he doesn't go into an 0-29 slump from the 3 point line, aina?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2015, 12:19:25 AM »
I respectfully disagree with your analysis. Carlino is a qualified College basketball player with a proven track record of  performance. He has performed in accordance with what would be predicted. That said, contrary to your notion, he is only trying to showcase himself and a team of ten Carlino's would be completely dysfunctional. We are much better off without him. I think it was a huge mistake for Wojo to recruit him.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2015, 12:40:59 AM »
I respectfully disagree with your analysis. Carlino is a qualified College basketball player with a proven track record of  performance. He has performed in accordance with what would be predicted. That said, contrary to your notion, he is only trying to showcase himself and a team of ten Carlino's would be completely dysfunctional. We are much better off without him. I think it was a huge mistake for Wojo to recruit him.

So we could be 2-21 instead of 11-12?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2015, 06:19:13 AM »

Clueless.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2015, 07:30:18 AM »

You honestly just need to stop posting if you are this clueless about college basketball.  Start watching the games without your anti-Wojo and Carlino bias and over the top love for JJJ and you might learn something.  You will see a new coach that is doing an excellent job, but still making some rookie mistakes and fortunately appears to learn from those mistakes.  You will see a player that has worked his butt off, assimilated himself very well on a new team as a 5th year senior, a player that wants to win, a player that has had to take on the burden of being the main player that other teams try to shut down, a player that is helping others like JJJ in practice and the games to become better players.  You will also see a player that is very gifted athletically that is learning the game of basketball and how to become a basketball player, but it is taking a little longer than most would like to see and therefore his coach is being very patient with him and making him word harder than ever to become the player we all know he can be. 

I for one am really impressed with Wojo and Carlino and can't imagine what this season would have been like without them.  I am also excited to see the development of JJJ and look forward to him being a big part of the team next year. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2015, 09:16:38 AM »
You honestly just need to stop posting if you are this clueless about college basketball.  Start watching the games without your anti-Wojo and Carlino bias and over the top love for JJJ and you might learn something.  You will see a new coach that is doing an excellent job, but still making some rookie mistakes and fortunately appears to learn from those mistakes.  You will see a player that has worked his butt off, assimilated himself very well on a new team as a 5th year senior, a player that wants to win, a player that has had to take on the burden of being the main player that other teams try to shut down, a player that is helping others like JJJ in practice and the games to become better players.  You will also see a player that is very gifted athletically that is learning the game of basketball and how to become a basketball player, but it is taking a little longer than most would like to see and therefore his coach is being very patient with him and making him word harder than ever to become the player we all know he can be. 

I for one am really impressed with Wojo and Carlino and can't imagine what this season would have been like without them.  I am also excited to see the development of JJJ and look forward to him being a big part of the team next year. 
\
MU1980:

You need to stop being reasonable. That's not acceptable behavior for some here on Scoop.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2015, 10:46:49 AM »
\
MU1980:

You need to stop being reasonable. That's not acceptable behavior for some here on Scoop.

I actually think Texas Western isn't completely clueless, but for some reason he has a personal issue with Wojo and Carlino and any logic he has goes out the window when posting about the two of them. 

My biggest problem with TW is that his attacks on the two of them are personal and usually have nothing to do with their coaching or playing ability.  Wojo is selfish, throws people under the bus, doesn't communicate with his players, etc.  Carlino is a selfish player that has disrupted team chemistry and only cares about himself. 

I am most others do not see anything like TW is where Wojo and Carlino are concerned.  People question Wojo's actual coaching ability in closing out games or Carlino's shot selection or defense all the time and that is okay and worth discussing, even with differing opinions.  TW just wants to be an *ss and rip on two good people for whatever vendetta he has against them. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2015, 10:48:40 AM »

At some point, you just sound so far out there that I have to assume that you are actually being satirical and forgetting to use teal. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2015, 10:51:44 AM »
At some point, you just sound so far out there that I have to assume that you are actually being satirical and forgetting to use teal. 

Either Benny is trolling everyone again, or Ners has his own Hoopaloop.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2015, 11:59:44 AM »
Either Benny is trolling everyone again, or Ners has his own Hoopaloop.

Texas Western is somehow connected to JJJ.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2015, 12:17:16 PM »

Why won't you answer the question about your relationship, if any, to JJJ?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2015, 12:22:32 PM »
Why won't you answer the question about your relationship, if any, to JJJ?

Maybe he is JjJ

"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

feedback