[Today at 09:07:16 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 07:22:54 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:42:08 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Let's not do what I know half of you want to do  (Read 23817 times)

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: Let's not do what I know half of you want to do
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2015, 07:51:15 PM »
What else does Chicos find interesting? This, I'm sure:

Remember when Carlino played 34 minutes against uw-madisin and the nation's 2nd best offense this year had their worse offensive efficiency game of the year? And their shooting was a full 6 percentage points lower than their 2nd worst outing of the year?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2015, 07:51:35 PM »
What does Mark Few have to do with anything? Carlino originally committed to play for your man crush Tom Crean.  Since day one of Carlino being rumored to come to Marquette you started warning everyone who would listen that he had his issues and there are big red flags when you commit to 1 school, decommit, commit somewhere else, transfer, and now transfer again.

Again, the "numbers" that matter are wins and losses.  Lakers before Kobe started missing time with injuries this year?  10-22.  Lakers since Kobe began missing time with injury?  3-15.  I think, although I could be wrong, that 10-22 is a much higher winning percentage than 3-15.

Exactly.   What did Tanned Thomas have to do with anything?  Now you're starting to get it.   I saw Carlino at UCLA, and then again at BYU. I told you guys months ago he was a chucker, he's been at a ton of schools (high school and college).  I also said he's a quality player, but not sure in a rebuilding year we need that type of player when development is needed.  You're the one that is perpetuating a conspiracy that isn't there.  Congratulations.

No, the numbers that matter aren't always wins and losses because it depends who you are playing.  You can be playing "better" but face 5 top 10 teams and lose all of them.  Yet while playing like crap go 1-4 against the bottom 5, and that means you have a better record but are you playing better...are you a better team?  Yes, it actually matters who you are playing.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 07:53:33 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2015, 07:57:13 PM »
What else does Chicos find interesting? This, I'm sure:

Remember when Carlino played 34 minutes against uw-madisin and the nation's 2nd best offense this year had their worse offensive efficiency game of the year? And their shooting was a full 6 percentage points lower than their 2nd worst outing of the year?

I thought as a team we played very scrappy that game.  It was also a home game, against a major rival.  Games against major rivals have all kinds of fun outcomes across the country.  I didn't find that particularly interesting, I somewhat expected it.  MU would do everything possible to gunk up the engine, and we largely succeeded.

Again, I'm not against the kid.  He's a quality player, but he is what he is and I'm not sure what he adds in terms of development for this year's squad.  That's been my concern. There is no doubt in my mind we would have fewer wins if he didn't play....I think that's an endorsement saying he is a quality player.  Right?   But the tradeoff, in my opinion, is that we rely on him so much at times that we stand around, especially at the end of games, and it becomes the Carlino show.  Since he is gone after this season, I'm not sure how much growth that gives everyone else.  IMO.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2015, 07:59:14 PM »
Here's the thing, when you originally brought up Kobe, you never said anything about this year, so I originally responded to what you actually said.  I don't have the ability to read your mind, so once you did change your argument to this year I also addressed that.  And you ignored it.  It's right there in my response that you quoted.  And it's in the last response I put up.  And I'll put it up here again.

THIS YEAR Lakers with Kobe:
10-22

THIS YEAR Lakers without Kobe:
3-15

THIS YEAR Lakers with Kobe winning percentage:

THIS YEAR Lakers without Kobe winning percentage:

Call me crazy, but THIS YEAR Lakers with Kobe >>>>>> THIS YEAR Lakers without Kobe.

I edited my post before you responded.  But whatever.

I posted the articles that dispute your beliefs and gave you reasons why winning percentage isn't always as iron clad as you want to make it out to be.   He was causing the Lakers to do many of the things that MU does....he was taking too many shots, poor defender...still a very solid player, but it stagnates the development of everyone else.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2015, 08:01:06 PM »
I thought as a team we played very scrappy that game.  It was also a home game, against a major rival.  Games against major rivals have all kinds of fun outcomes across the country.  I didn't find that particularly interesting, I somewhat expected it.  MU would do everything possible to gunk up the engine, and we largely succeeded.

Got it. You believe we played harder because the opponent against a "major rival." Surely we wouldn't give as much effort on the road, sitting at 2-8, against a conference opponent who recently beat us at our place. Would have expected the team - down to 7 guys, just lay down a bit. Maybe not pee down the leg, but certainly not give effort like they would against a major rival in December.

I guess we just think differently.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

brandx

« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2015, 08:29:52 PM »
It's amazing there are guys here who want our best shooter to shoot less. Especially when he is not a volume shooter to begin with.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2015, 08:32:18 PM »
Guess this win assures HE stays committed, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2015, 08:41:41 PM »
Got it. You believe we played harder because the opponent against a "major rival." Surely we wouldn't give as much effort on the road, sitting at 2-8, against a conference opponent who recently beat us at our place. Would have expected the team - down to 7 guys, just lay down a bit. Maybe not pee down the leg, but certainly not give effort like they would against a major rival in December.

I guess we just think differently.

Yes, I think naturally teams tend to get up more for their rivals, especially at home.

We do think differently apparently.  I suspect most people believe teams get up for their rivals, play harder, especially at home.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2015, 09:02:20 PM »
It's amazing there are guys here who want our best shooter to shoot less. Especially when he is not a volume shooter to begin with.

Carlino came in with a deserved reputation as a chucker. He has not been a chucker here.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2015, 09:05:00 PM »
It's amazing there are guys here who want our the most prolific 3pt shooter in the Big East to shoot less. Especially when he is not a volume shooter to begin with.

FIFY
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2015, 09:10:50 PM »
Carling is our best player. Wish we had him for three more years.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2015, 09:11:40 PM »
FIFY

You may want to fix it again.

Gibbs is the best 3 point shooter in the Big East at 45.2%.

Carlino does attempt the most of any player in the Big East.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2015, 09:16:00 PM »
Unless we come up with a shooter or two (or three), or unless our present underclassmen grow to become more reliable 3-point shooters, we'll wish we had Carlino -- or at least a Carlino type -- next season.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2015, 09:24:00 PM »

He would be eligible for social security retirement at that point.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2015, 09:26:05 PM »
Unless we come up with a shooter or two (or three), or unless our present underclassmen grow to become more reliable 3-point shooters, we'll wish we had Carlino -- or at least a Carlino type -- next season.

You need balance.  I would love to have a Carlino if we can do other things.  If we can't do other things, then it becomes too predictable.  Fischer, Ellenson and hopefully one other next year will provide enough balance to create problems around the court.  That would make Carlino a great asset next year.  This year, everyone knows where the offense is coming from. 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2015, 09:29:49 PM »

Me too to soothe the pain.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2015, 09:30:03 PM »
You need balance.  I would love to have a Carlino if we can do other things.  If we can't do other things, then it becomes too predictable.  Fischer, Ellenson and hopefully one other next year will provide enough balance to create problems around the court.  That would make Carlino a great asset next year.  This year, everyone knows where the offense is coming from. 

This is very true. The end of games has become a tragic comedy, with Carlino (or sometimes Duane) frantically throwing wild 3s at the basket at the end of the shot clock. That Carlino has made a few of those with the defense paying close attention to him has been impressive, I guess. I would like to have someone with Carlino's particular talent surrounded by better players, making him a court-spacer, late-game threat, etc.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2015, 09:31:20 PM »
This is very true. The end of games has become a tragic comedy, with Carlino (or sometimes Duane) frantically throwing wild 3s at the basket at the end of the shot clock. That Carlino has made a few of those with the defense paying close attention to him has been impressive, I guess. I would like to have someone with Carlino's particular talent surrounded by better players, making him a court-spacer, late-game threat, etc.

Agreed

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2015, 12:09:33 AM »
Here's the thing, when you originally brought up Kobe, you never said anything about this year, so I originally responded to what you actually said.  I don't have the ability to read your mind, so once you did change your argument to this year I also addressed that.  And you ignored it.  It's right there in my response that you quoted.  And it's in the last response I put up.  And I'll put it up here again.

THIS YEAR Lakers with Kobe:
10-22

THIS YEAR Lakers without Kobe:
3-15

THIS YEAR Lakers with Kobe winning percentage:

THIS YEAR Lakers without Kobe winning percentage:

Call me crazy, but THIS YEAR Lakers with Kobe >>>>>> THIS YEAR Lakers without Kobe.

Anyone who thinks the Lakers are better this year (or any other year) without Kobe Bryant is a basketball idiot.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2015, 12:32:30 AM »
You may want to fix it again.

Gibbs is the best 3 point shooter in the Big East at 45.2%.

Carlino does attempt the most of any player in the Big East.

As of Wednesday, Carlino was first in the league in made 3pt baskets per game (3.4).

http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/012615aab.html

Relationes Incrementum Victoria

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2015, 12:54:56 AM »
What this game WAS... a great confidence boost for the two guys that need it the most.
JJJ can get to the hole nearly whenever he wants, and he proved he can play under control, play good D, and make a significant contribution.
Taylor somehow figured out how to do exactly nothing different, except make buckets. 

Add back Carlino's leadership, guts, D, and 15ppg and it could be a good finish!
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2015, 01:12:21 AM »
What this game WAS... a great confidence boost for the two guys that need it the most.
JJJ can get to the hole nearly whenever he wants, and he proved he can play under control, play good D, and make a significant contribution.
Taylor somehow figured out how to do exactly nothing different, except make buckets. 

Add back Carlino's leadership, guts, D, and 15ppg and it could be a good finish!

+1

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2015, 07:20:12 AM »
Any player is better than an empty scholarship (unless there are significant off the court issues). To suggest we are better without Carlino defies all logic.

However, playing without him may have changed the psychology of some of our players. It made them think that had to step in this game. Car3no wouldn't be riding in to save them.

What's best for the team is if the players maintain that psychology AND Carlino is on the floor. That may mean giving Carlino a few less minutes.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2015, 07:27:54 AM »
Me too to soothe the pain.

Great post Blackie. Have not had one of those for 30 years. Is it still brewed?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2015, 07:40:27 AM »
Seriously, are we really debating if Carlino was worth it?  Before the season began, we had NO experienced shooters returning except for the dumbf**k Todd Mayo.  It was clearly a position of need.  Wojo brought in a guy with experience as a one year player and as a senior who could (supposedly) provide a good role model for the younger players.

Of all the hand-wringing, he is not a chucker.  He has not been a problem in the locker room. 

One game isn't indicative of his value.