[Today at 07:27:40 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by lawdog77
[Today at 07:14:12 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by Tyler COLEk
[Today at 07:03:51 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Vaccinations  (Read 50723 times)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Vaccinations
« on: February 03, 2015, 11:02:32 AM »
Anyone who has not vaccinated their children should be subject to severe penalties. How in God's name is Jenny McCarthy in any way a thought leader on scientific investigation? The masses are asses...

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/02/us/a-discredited-vaccine-studys-continuing-impact-on-public-health.html?_r=0

Death on call

jficke13

• All American
Re: Vaccinations
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 11:11:25 AM »

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 11:12:49 AM »
I am in favor of charging anti-vaxxers with reckless homicide if they fail to vaccinate their kid who ends up dying from a preventable disease. Same if their kid gets and spreads that disease to a different kid. I would also charge anti-vaxxers with child neglect and stick those kids right in foster care.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 11:15:41 AM »
Anyone who has not vaccinated their children should be subject to severe penalties. How in God's name is Jenny McCarthy in any way a thought leader on scientific investigation? The masses are asses...

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/02/us/a-discredited-vaccine-studys-continuing-impact-on-public-health.html?_r=0

It is absolutely amazing to me that this has become a thing.  Honestly, vaccinations should be a requirement for participation in a civilized society.  It's not a thing people can choose to participate in....if the vast majority of a population are not vaccinated then even the people who are vaccinated are at risk.  SHARED IMMUNITY people, learn what it is!!!

I grew up a military brat and had to be vaccinated to the hilt and any time we showed up at a new base the first thing we had to show when going to medical for the first time was the vaccination records, I assume its the same in the civilian world, yes?

To make it MU related, anyone know if MU requires you to be vaccinated, I don't remember.  If not we should.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

reinko

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 11:16:39 AM »
Can't governors just throw them in a tent next to the hospital?

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 11:23:15 AM »
Here is another great article about the profile of some of these anti-vaxers. Decisions made after "meditating" and based on feelings instead of facts.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/31/us/vaccine-critics-turn-defensive-over-measles.html?referrer=

reinko

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 11:25:18 AM »
It is absolutely amazing to me that this has become a thing.  Honestly, vaccinations should be a requirement for participation in a civilized society.  It's not a thing people can choose to participate in....if the vast majority of a population are not vaccinated then even the people who are vaccinated are at risk.  SHARED IMMUNITY people, learn what it is!!!

I grew up a military brat and had to be vaccinated to the hilt and any time we showed up at a new base the first thing we had to show when going to medical for the first time was the vaccination records, I assume its the same in the civilian world, yes?

To make it MU related, anyone know if MU requires you to be vaccinated, I don't remember.  If not we should.

I think so, I remember getting a bunch of shots the summer before freshman year in 98. 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 11:29:15 AM »
I love the comment at 10:40... Epidemiologists can put a ring on the map around any Whole Foods and identify a concentration of anti-vaxxers

Death on call

reinko

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 11:33:16 AM »
Finally, something liberal hippy dippies and tea party folks can unite behind.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 11:37:52 AM »

I think recommended, but not mandatory. I had a roommate that claimed to not be vaccinated.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 11:39:48 AM »

The Government cannot tell me what to do. Why do you hate Freedom?

Yes, I'm totally kidding
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 11:43:32 AM by Henry Sugar »
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 11:45:50 AM »
The Government cannot tell me what to do. Why do you hate Freedom?

I can't possibly hate freedom, I enjoy collecting freedom points every time USMNT scores.

Side serious note, a representative government is for the collective betterment of all.  The is no credible downside to vaccinations, therefore ultimately vaccinating everyone is for the betterment of all....closest thing I've seen to a no brainer requirement.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

reinko

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2015, 11:47:35 AM »
I can't possibly hate freedom, I enjoy collecting freedom points every time USMNT scores.

Side serious note, a representative government is for the collective betterment of all.  The is no credible downside to vaccinations, therefore ultimately vaccinating everyone is for the betterment of all....closest thing I've seen to a no brainer requirement.

What is the exchange rate of Schrute bucks to Freedom Points? 

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2015, 11:49:24 AM »
Finally, something liberal hippy dippies and tea party folks can unite behind.

I actually find this very funny. It's essentially the left's version of science denial. Where most of this is catching on is the uber-rich counties in California with the super granola, all-natural BS liberals.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2015, 11:49:30 AM »

6 - 9

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2015, 11:50:51 AM »
Side serious note, a representative government is for the collective betterment of all.  There is no credible downside to vaccinations, therefore ultimately vaccinating everyone is for the betterment of all....closest thing I've seen to a no brainer requirement.

Actually there is... it means that natural selection won't take care of Jenny McCarthy for us.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2015, 11:51:24 AM »
I actually find this very funny. It's essentially the left's version of science denial. Where most of this is catching on is the uber-rich counties in California with the super granola, all-natural BS liberals.

I actually was going to make this point but decided I didn't want to light a firebomb on this thread....but you are correct.  "Right denies climate change"(I mean that it is happening, not root cause), "left denies validity of vaccinations".

Both are scientifically verifiable but each group chooses to ignore facts.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2015, 11:51:52 AM »
Don't care what anyone does if it doesn't affect me.  This does.  I'll stick the needles in them myself, the bastards.

On a tangent, Rainn Wilson's new show is pretty good.  I can't really shake the association of him as Dwight, but that almost makes it better.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2015, 11:53:09 AM »
Actually there is... it means that natural selection won't take care of Jenny McCarthy for us.

Not to be nitpicky, but Jenny McCarthy has already procreated so we can't stop that now....it's her children's progeny that we would be propping up.....your point is well taken.  ;D

MerrittsMustache

• All American

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2015, 12:15:45 PM »
Not to be nitpicky, but Jenny McCarthy has already procreated so we can't stop that now....it's her children's progeny that we would be propping up.....your point is well taken.  ;D

I know that, technically, my argument carries a fatal flaw... just like the kids of an anti-vaxxer.

Thank you.  I'll be here all week.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2015, 12:27:43 PM »
Under the ACA, health insurers can charge up to a 50% surcharge for tobacco usage.

The same calculation should be made for insuring the unvaccinated.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2015, 12:31:26 PM »
I actually was going to make this point but decided I didn't want to light a firebomb on this thread....but you are correct.  "Right denies climate change"(I mean that it is happening, not root cause), "left denies validity of vaccinations".

Both are scientifically verifiable but each group chooses to ignore facts.

Yep.  Kind of a sad state of affairs when you think about it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2015, 12:38:01 PM »

You realize we have a lot of people that are "thought leaders" on things that people pay attention to.  Some are even elected over and over again. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2015, 12:44:04 PM »
Honestly, is this just hitting the news or something out there?  This has been going on in this whack job state for years.  My wife and I were given horrid looks when we took our kids to get vaccinated, and both my kids are teens.   Been the "deal" here for as long as I can remember.  My wife is the daughter of a Marquette Med School educated doctor, and we basically told these people to pound sand.  After living in and visiting several 3rd world countries and seeing some of the stuff those kids and people in general go through, no way in hell we wouldn't vaccinate our kids.

Don't forget the ability of people, the press, social media, etc to perpetuate stats that become anchored in some reality.  Whether it's 50% of marriages end in divorce (absolute bullshyte), or 9/11 was an inside job, or vaccinations cause autism, etc, etc.

feedback