[Today at 09:13:49 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Lennys Tap
[Today at 07:56:17 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Vaccinations  (Read 50893 times)

jsglow

• All American
Re: Vaccinations
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2015, 03:20:58 PM »

Additionally, we have done a really poor job of educating the public.  Everyone assumes if you get a vaccine shot you can't get the disease which is not true.  If you have enough exposure, a vaccine can be overwhelmed and you get the disease as well.  Everyone treats it as if it's a choice that impacts only them

<insert millennial selfishness joke here>

Interesting that you say that.  In the Fall of my Freshman year at Marquette a strain of measles hit the campus.  It somehow morphed with the 'killed' vaccine those of us born in the early 1960s received as infants.  About 10 students became ill.  One was hospitalized for 9-10 days.

I cooked away for those days at 105 degrees, packed in ice, just below a temp that might have caused real brain damage.  (Chick might say it happened anyway.)  I remember very little except that a very kind nurse (MU?) smuggled me a beer for the Sunday Packer game (on my 8th day in isolation) when I was feeling just a bit better.  Being seriously ill sucks.  
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 03:24:19 PM by jsglow »

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2015, 03:26:43 PM »
Interesting that you say that.  In the Fall of my Freshman year at Marquette a strain of measles hit the campus.  It somehow morphed with the 'killed' vaccine those of us born in the early 1960s received as infants.  About 10 students became ill.  One was hospitalized for 9-10 days.

I cooked away for those days at 105 degrees, packed in ice, just below a temp that might have caused real brain damage.  (Chick might say it happened anyway.)  I remember very little except that a very kind nurse (MU?) smuggled me a beer for the Sunday Packer game (on my 8th day in isolation) when I was feeling just a bit better.  Being seriously ill sucks.  

I was hoping this would end with...
 I remember very little except that a very kind nurse (MU?) smuggled me a beer for the Sunday Packer game (on my 8th day in isolation) and we've been together ever since.

brandx

« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2015, 03:33:17 PM »
Ugh.

I like libertarian and free market principles, but this is just stupid.

Also, it's a bit ironic that he will give restaurants the freedom to determine their own policy, but will legally require that they post a sign about their handwashing policy. Not exactly free market.

Senator Tillis, Who you crappin'?

My point was simply to point out that when it comes to health issues, there is no shortage of stupidity.

When something tragic happens, we search endlessly for any excuse to grab onto, whether logical or silly.

brandx

« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2015, 03:38:02 PM »
This is exactly right. I mean, just think of how many intelligent, well-rounded people still believe that the flu shot protects against the stomach flu.

Especially considering there is no such thing as stomach flu.

ah... that means the shots must be working!

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2015, 03:39:02 PM »
There's a UCLA pediatrician that was quoted as saying that the only thing that will put a stop to the anti-vaxxing fashion trend is an A-list star anti-vaxxer's kid dying.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2015, 03:42:25 PM »
There's a UCLA pediatrician that was quoted as saying that the only thing that will put a stop to the anti-vaxxing fashion trend is an A-list star anti-vaxxer's kid dying.

I remember when Gary Busey was the big celebrity spokesperson for the repeal of motorcycle helmet laws.

That worked out really well for him....
Have some patience, FFS.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2015, 03:54:15 PM »

I don't know if that would even work.  Jenny McCarthy's kid was "misdiagnosed" with autism...wildly under reported.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2015, 04:03:05 PM »
I don't know if that would even work.  Jenny McCarthy's kid was "misdiagnosed" with autism...wildly under reported.

Yes,  he is an Indigo Child....whatever the hell that means.
Have some patience, FFS.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2015, 04:03:38 PM »
Yes,  he is an Indigo Child....whatever the hell that means.

He's a lesbian singer?

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2015, 04:10:51 PM »
As most of you know, my four year old son is fighting leukemia. After he gets better, and goes back to school this coming fall, going forward, we will home school him if we learn anyone at his school is unvaccinated.

This subject gets me very riled up. For people going through chemo that have virtually no immune system, this pisses me off that people can be so ignorant and quite frankly selfish.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2015, 04:41:53 PM »
As most of you know, my four year old son is fighting leukemia. After he gets better, and goes back to school this coming fall, going forward, we will home school him if we learn anyone at his school is unvaccinated.

This subject gets me very riled up. For people going through chemo that have virtually no immune system, this pisses me off that people can be so ignorant and quite frankly selfish.

This among many, many other reasons. Vaccinate your kids people.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2015, 04:54:03 PM »
Here's an interesting cultural topic: the anti-vax parents would rather chance having their child get sick/suffer/due from a preventable disease than have that child possibly become autistic but live a long life.

Discuss.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2015, 05:00:01 PM »
I actually was going to make this point but decided I didn't want to light a firebomb on this thread....but you are correct.  "Right denies climate change"(I mean that it is happening, not root cause), "left denies validity of vaccinations".

Both are scientifically verifiable but each group chooses to ignore facts.

I dunno about that I fall in the way left category and all of my liberal friends and family think the whole anti-Vax movement is the dumbest thing they've ever heard

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2015, 05:00:50 PM »
Here's an interesting cultural topic: the anti-vax parents would rather chance having their child get sick/suffer/due from a preventable disease than have that child possibly become autistic but live a long life.

Discuss.

Except that theory has been scientifically disproven.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2015, 05:17:33 PM »
Except that theory has been scientifically disproven.

I understand. But from their viewpoint, it hasn't. So to them living with autism is potentially worse than dying from a preventable disease.

It's just interesting

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2015, 05:22:55 PM »
I understand. But from their viewpoint, it hasn't. So to them living with autism is potentially worse than dying from a preventable disease.

It's just interesting

I can see that being a difficult dilemma for people who don't accept or understand the scientific evidence.  But when the evidence is so overwhelming and people are still making decisions that put others at risk for no good reason, it's time for the government to take over and make the decision for them. And I HATE big government.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2015, 05:25:13 PM »
I was hoping this would end with...
 I remember very little except that a very kind nurse (MU?) smuggled me a beer for the Sunday Packer game (on my 8th day in isolation) and we've been together ever since.

Haha. Both my daughter and mom are/were outstanding Marquette nurses.  Me?  I hate doing taxes so scoped out the ACCO Dept.   ;)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2015, 05:33:49 PM »
So having Botox and leaky silicone fun bags in your body while pregnant is healthier in the prevention of autism than the vaccination of your child?  Gotta love those Mother Mac girls.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2015, 05:48:32 PM »
Here's what I don't get.  (Actually, I do.)

In the last 100 years we've all but eliminated scores of horrible diseases that absolutely destroyed families in our grandparents and great grandparents generation.  Almost everyone had a child or sibling that was taken from them by these killers.  Now, at least until recently, such deaths all but unheard of.  I don't personally know of a single example of a child lost to polio, whooping cough, etc.  But ask my mom (MU Nursing '54) what vaccinations meant for a society and you'd get a lengthy discussion if she were still alive.  How quickly we forget.

And this is not in any way to diminish the horrible scourge that is today's autism.  It affects my own extended family.  We must find answers.  But crazy pseudo-science isn't the place to begin the search.  

Of course we're doing a good job with some of our lax immigration enforcement of allowing some of that to come back to the U.S....which is nice.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2015, 05:59:39 PM »
Of course we're doing a good job with some of our lax immigration enforcement of allowing some of that to come back to the U.S....which is nice.

Hey. We agree twice in one thread! Illegal immigrants should not be allowed.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2015, 06:07:23 PM »
I actually was going to make this point but decided I didn't want to light a firebomb on this thread....but you are correct.  "Right denies climate change"(I mean that it is happening, not root cause), "left denies validity of vaccinations".

Both are scientifically verifiable but each group chooses to ignore facts.

Here is the difference:  on global warming, the politicians on the right are denying it; on vaccinations, I don't think you'll find many if any politicians on the left that are anti-vax.  On the contrary, those siding with the anti-vaxxers are politicians on the right (Paul, Christie, Trump, et al).
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 06:17:57 PM by TSmith34 »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2015, 06:11:58 PM »

I didn't want to go there but yes, you are correct.

brandx

« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2015, 06:48:24 PM »
He's a lesbian singer?

Lesbian singer's kid.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2015, 07:31:17 PM »
My oldest daughter is preggers with who will soon be my first grandchild.  She lives on the east coast, and must, unfortunately, ask any potential pediatrician whether he/she allows unvaccinated patients.
Ludum habemus.

source?

• All American
« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2015, 09:25:39 PM »
In response to those asking about Marquette policy, I'm 99% sure that they are required. I know I had to get some shots that I hadn't updated in a while when I matriculated.

As an aside, my younger brother goes to high school with a kid who isn't vaccinated. He desperately wants to get vaccinated, but his parents won't allow it. That, in my opinion, is child abuse.