Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What Has Scoop Become?  (Read 12521 times)

GOO

• All American
What Has Scoop Become?
« on: February 02, 2015, 03:45:48 PM »
It seems like scoop has become the troll board. First time posters, DuaneWade and his aliases, etc, posting away.  Toss in Ners obsession and it has become pretty unenjoyable.  I'm all for free expression, but even that has limits.  I'm sure that i'm not alone in starting to come to this board a lot less often, which is probably a good thing. 

I know it isn't easy to police, but I think the obvious troll posts should be deleted.

#UnleashSean

• All American
Re: What Has Scoop Become?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 03:53:25 PM »
Ners and such don't annoy me to much. It's the huge amount of debbie downers that really get to me. Anything that happens has to be negative with 75% of this board. That crap needs to stop.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 03:57:32 PM »
It seems like scoop has become the troll board. First time posters, DuaneWade and his aliases, etc, posting away.  Toss in Ners obsession and it has become pretty unenjoyable.  I'm all for free expression, but even that has limits.  I'm sure that i'm not alone in starting to come to this board a lot less often, which is probably a good thing. 

I know it isn't easy to police, but I think the obvious troll posts should be deleted.

+1.  Maybe it'll help me focus on more important things than MU basketball.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 03:58:16 PM »
It has been pretty brutal for awhile.

Honestly, it is all about winning.  Get back to the winning ways, and everyone is happy. It really does suck to suck...and well, we've sucked for two years in a row.  
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 03:58:21 PM »
I don't come anywhere near this board after a loss.  Even when I have time to kill, it's not fun to page through twenty threads of why so-and-so sucks, or how so-and-so screwed up, or how so-and-so heard that so-and-so said that so-and-so talked to Crean who said that Brentz broke his tanning bed.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 04:26:08 PM »
I don't come anywhere near this board after a loss.  Even when I have time to kill, it's not fun to page through twenty threads of why so-and-so sucks, or how so-and-so screwed up, or how so-and-so heard that so-and-so said that so-and-so talked to Crean who said that Brentz broke his tanning bed.

That happened?!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 04:32:27 PM »
Probably all that sweat short circuited the sucker, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 04:34:25 PM »
I don't mind any of the one time (or maybe several time) posts saying the same thing on the same issue or in the same thread, even when they are idiotic.  But the over-repetition and especially the contortioning to apply those same positions in unwarranted places is annoying and makes the board difficult to enjoy at times.  

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 04:47:28 PM »

Source?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 05:21:37 PM »
I don't mind any of the one time (or maybe several time) posts saying the same thing on the same issue or in the same thread, even when they are idiotic.  But the over-repetition and especially the contortioning to apply those same positions in unwarranted places is annoying and makes the board difficult to enjoy at times.  

Spot on.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2015, 05:42:03 PM »
It has been pretty brutal for awhile.

Honestly, it is all about winning.  Get back to the winning ways, and everyone is happy. It really does suck to suck...and well, we've sucked for two years in a row.  

This.     The current state of mubb is depressing .. and this forum reflects that.  We're looking up at DePaul in the standings, for christ's sake.   That's the depth we're at.

And it's likely a proportion thing.  When Marquette was winning 20+ games a year, the happy to grump ratio is 20:1.  

Now that there's very little good to speak, and crap-tons of bad, the ratio gets out of whack and people start threads like this, wondering what happened.  

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2015, 06:02:51 PM »
Yep. Can't be the lack of moderation. No sir. Not at all.

No one wants a Doddsianesque message board version of North Korea but preventing a few people from carpet bombing the place in multiple threads makes it more civil without hindering free expression. This place is a step above anarchy with nebulous rules that are inconsistently applied.

For example, Rocky bans Ners for a month. Ners comes back and does the same thing all over again. Topper pleads ignorance. Rocky doesn't do anything. It's like the parent who occasionally decides to be a hard ass while the other one buys the kids alcohol.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2015, 06:22:31 PM »
Wow. Those wretched souls who fled (or were exiled from) Doddstown - how  those once poor, hungry, huddled masses yearning to be free have changed their tune. Scoop in Twilight.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2015, 06:28:12 PM »
Hilltopper is right.   If this team was 17-4, this place would be seashells and balloons.   People are lashing out because of frustrations.   Regarding the out of control poster, mass use of the 'ignore' button fixes most of that.   13 days ners free.   No worries, mahn.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2015, 06:31:10 PM »
Losing sucks and everyone is frustrated or depressed. Last year sapped my excitement big time I actually am pleased we are at least competing in games. Do think last year was a major negative and some folks had too high of expectations for this season. While not great games or a very good team we have been in almost every game. Things will be brighter soon IMO.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2015, 06:33:34 PM »
Losing sucks and everyone is frustrated or depressed. Last year sapped my excitement big time I actually am pleased we are at least competing in games. Do think last year was a major negative and some folks had too high of expectations for this season. While not great games or a very good team we have been in almost every game. Things will be brighter soon IMO.

+1

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2015, 06:35:48 PM »
Here's my plug: the MUBB subreddit will welcome you all with open arms.

http://reddit.com/r/mubb

Threaded messages so Ners' tangents can wither in obscurity
Up- and Down-voting to make sure piss-poor conversations stay buried
iPad, Android and iPhone apps aplenty!
Marquette Basketball on Reddit: http://reddit.com/r/mubb

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2015, 06:35:56 PM »

I agree Goose.  We've taken some ranked teams down to the wire.  One more biscuit for breakfast, and we win some of these.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2015, 06:36:44 PM »
This topic seems to come up every couple of months or so in season.  Seriously, find me an internet sports team board where it's all about logic, being level-headed, rational, objective, and pragmatic.   No such animal exists.  Don't dip your toe in the world of sports fan boards if goofy, stupid, ill-informed, etc. opinions are going to bother you that much.  Realize there are a lot of morons and know nothings in this world, esepcially among sports fans.  

Nothing to see here.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2015, 06:38:31 PM »

No one wants a Doddsianesque message board version of North Korea but preventing a few people from carpet bombing the place in multiple threads makes it more civil without hindering free expression. This place is a step above anarchy with nebulous rules that are inconsistently applied.

For example, Rocky bans Ners for a month. Ners comes back and does the same thing all over again. Topper pleads ignorance. Rocky doesn't do anything. It's like the parent who occasionally decides to be a hard ass while the other one buys the kids alcohol.

If we were paying for this, ya.  But we're not.  Ignore button.  It's free.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2015, 06:44:15 PM »
I know I am part of the problem. I respond to Ners regularly. He's entitled to his opinion and he is a very passionate Marquette fan. I like hearing from him because thinks about things differently than a lot of other posters do. Now the how of it gets on my nerves. But this site is filled with arseholes, myself included. I don't think Ners is that much bigger of one than half the posters here. He just happens to be the loudest one in the minority opinion. When we start winning again, he will be right back on the bandwagon with the rest of the slurpers.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2015, 07:00:02 PM »
If we were paying for this, ya.  But we're not.  Ignore button.  It's free.

Disagree. Moderators can pretty quickly squash things and on most websites aren't paid. I've largely given up reporting because at best I'll get a "we don't see anything wrong with anything" response. While this site has a lot of traffic for a Marquette site, it's still a low traffic site.

The mods let stuff go, and that's their prerogative, but it has had negative repercussions in the past and probably will again. Players and parents read this stuff. Sometimes they even post on here. Anyone that thinks this has zero impact has their head in the sand.

I stay because despite the idiocy that sometimes runs riot, there are a lot of good posters I enjoy. The mods have done a good job building a community. I just wish once in awhile they'd manage it. It doesn't require pay and only minimal effort.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2015, 07:11:53 PM »
The mods do a good job. 

Are you referring to your disagreement with Keefe?

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2015, 07:18:56 PM »

We have failed you.  You deserve so, so much better, Sultan.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2015, 07:38:18 PM »
We have failed you.  You deserve so, so much better, Sultan.

You're not the hero we deserve but the hero we need right now
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

feedback