'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by tower912
[Today at 06:52:38 AM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Noskowiak Taking Online Classes  (Read 32206 times)

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Re: Noskowiak Taking Online Classes
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2015, 09:44:54 PM »

Marquette wasn't accepting online credit for athletes.  This article came out last month.

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2014/12/29/college-athletes-fixer-cheating-scheme

Connect the dots.

This is not the same circumstances, at all.  Someone forced to finish HS online due to a serious illness is not in the same boat as a kid who can't cut it in a college classroom and therefore avoids them by having a stand in take online collegiate courses for him.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2015, 09:54:10 PM »
This is not the same circumstances, at all.  Someone forced to finish HS online due to a serious illness is not in the same boat as a kid who can't cut it in a college classroom and therefore avoids them by having a stand in take online collegiate courses for him.

Exactly.  If Nick was hit by a car and bedridden with injuries, I don't think that Marquette would have a problem with him taking classes online. This isn't any different.
Have some patience, FFS.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2015, 10:10:11 PM »
Thoughts and prayers Nick. MU Nation is pulling for you
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2015, 11:15:52 PM »
The article mentions however that he is taking online high school classes. Nowhere does it state he's taking them through a university (unless I completely missed it). Either way, schools can pretty easily choose what they will and will not accept. I lost a decent amount of credits transferring to Marquette from the UW system, and MU specifically states they accept most UW credits.

Sometimes home-schooled kids complete high-school courses through Universities (online, like those through BYU), they also complete them at times through online courses (high school online companies).

The key is that if they would accept any of the courses for a home-schooled kid they can't disallow them for an athlete.  Also, the article is somewhat not relevant.  Was it an issue, yes.  But the big Universities (aka BYU) that were abused have greatly modified their coursework and testing procedures so that cannot happen anymore.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2015, 07:33:43 AM »
Exactly.  If Nick was hit by a car and bedridden with injuries, I don't think that Marquette would have a problem with him taking classes online. This isn't any different.

Absolutely.  Depression is an illness, and if that illness is preventing him from continuing in a traditional classroom, online classes might be a very legitimate substitute. 

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2015, 07:51:22 AM »
Absolutely.  Depression is an illness, and if that illness is preventing him from continuing in a traditional classroom, online classes might be a very legitimate substitute. 

Is the bigger issue whether the NCAA would recognize the complete courses and/or diploma that comes along with them? 

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2015, 07:55:54 AM »
Is the bigger issue whether the NCAA would recognize the complete courses and/or diploma that comes along with them? 

My point still stands.  Just substitute "NCAA" for "Marquette ".
Have some patience, FFS.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2015, 08:21:10 AM »

I know.  Someone brought up why Marquette wasn't allowing any online credit.  I was saying that it was limited to athletic transfers.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2015, 08:22:36 AM »
Yeah. That was my first thought. Be shocked if he ever makes it to Marquette. Hard to believe a kid with so much upside and talent could be depressed in high school. Too bad, hope he gets better.

Wow that really shows a fundamental lack of understanding about depression. 

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2015, 08:28:13 AM »
FWIW, there was a girl on the vball team when I was a student who was homeschooled.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2015, 08:46:46 AM »
I'm very very familiar with this article.  What I don't see is how a University could not accept online college credits from another University, and only for athletes.  Especially when on the transcripts most good Universities don't indicate whether it was online or a regular class.

A University can decide to take credits from whatever school it wants. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2015, 09:01:04 AM »

Wow that really shows a fundamental lack of understanding about depression. 

Agreed, Sultan. 

Depression doesn't follow success, or lack thereof.  Poor, uneducated, unemployed people suffer from depression...and wealthy, highly educated and very successful people suffer from depression.  It's an illness, not a symptom of failure.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2015, 09:14:03 AM »
Agreed, Sultan. 

Depression doesn't follow success, or lack thereof.  Poor, uneducated, unemployed people suffer from depression...and wealthy, highly educated and very successful people suffer from depression.  It's an illness, not a symptom of failure.

And this new just came out recently.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/838376

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2015, 09:38:33 AM »
So a gifted athlete who is home schooled would not be eligible for an athletic scholarship by the NCAA?

On another note I wish Nick and his family all my prayers. My daughter suffers from clinical depression and medication has helped, but there are days where she has much difficulty dealing with just everyday living and we have learned to give her the space she needs. This is a brutal disease that just not affects the individual but all those who care for them. Thankfully there are more good days than bad.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2015, 09:47:32 AM »
So a gifted athlete who is home schooled would not be eligible for an athletic scholarship by the NCAA?

Yes.  He or she would.  People need to stop extending this change of policy beyond its bounds.  It is for transfers only as I understand it.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2015, 09:51:18 AM »

Yes.  He or she would.  People need to stop extending this change of policy beyond its bounds.  It is for transfers only as I understand it.

Whatever courses he is taking, I would bet my life he talked to MU to make sure he can still get in to MU, why wouldn't he?  More importantly he feels better about himself and gets the proper help to get his live moving forward, best of luck.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2015, 09:53:07 AM »
Whatever courses he is taking, I would bet my life he talked to MU to make sure he can still get in to MU, why wouldn't he?

Exactly.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2015, 01:48:47 PM »

And this new just came out recently.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/838376

It appears that direct link just asks for a login.  Use the google search link instead and it works :)

Click Here...

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2015, 11:05:56 PM »
It appears that direct link just asks for a login.  Use the google search link instead and it works :)

Click Here...

Very interesting article.  I would caution anyone jumping to conclusions based on mouse models as they often do not extrapolate to humans.

The take home message though is important.  That depression is a serious illness that is often more complicated than simply an imbalance of neurotransmitters.  There is distinct biology behind the manifestation of symptoms that is no different than physical illness. 

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2015, 01:55:09 PM »
So their seems to be a lot of confusion about online classes.  As someone who works not only as classroom teacher, but also as an online teacher for a couple of virtual programs allow me to shine some light

1. Most Virtual schools are tied to a particular district
-The largest in this state are Wisconsin Virtual Academy which i belief is operated by a very small up north school district
-JEDI which is the Virtual school for Sun Prairie, Stoughton, Lake Mills, Marshall (Other Eastern Dane/Western Jeff County Schools)
-Racine Virtual Learning
-Students do not need to live in the district to enroll in the virtual academy.  The virtual academy can be enrolled through "Open Enrollment" or Someone like Noskowiak probably was able to start right away because he enrolled in JEDI most likely. 

2. Virtual program credits are actual HS credits.   
-Almost every student in the Racine Unified school district has has to take a virtual credit or a CTC credit for a year and these courses are coded just like any other class is coded within our enrollment system with the exception that their is a "V" in front of the course number.  These classes by the way have all been accepted by other institutions.

3. These are nothing like "Correspondence" courses
-Many of these classes especially with WVA and Racine virtual use "Blackboard" like Learning Systems where classes are taught both Synchronous and Asynchronous.   Many of these classes are hard to finish if the student is not intelligent, and because you get less guidance the rate of failure is harder, and so is the course load.     

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2015, 02:49:30 PM »
So their seems to be a lot of confusion about online classes.

Your a teacher?

leever

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2015, 03:34:58 PM »
Your a teacher?

I see what you did there!

chapman

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2015, 03:48:19 PM »
-JEDI which is the Virtual school for Sun Prairie, Stoughton, Lake Mills, Marshall (Other Eastern Dane/Western Jeff County Schools)

You're saying kids can go to the JEDI academy online these days?  Talk about having it all!  The closest I ever got to it was my parents buying me this:

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2015, 04:36:12 PM »
You're saying kids can go to the JEDI academy online these days?  Talk about having it all!  The closest I ever got to it was my parents buying me this:

Does he use The Force when he's on the court?

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2015, 02:17:25 PM »
Still sealed.  A better investment than Beanie Babies!

You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

feedback