[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Luke Fischer  (Read 37081 times)

T-Bone

• All American
Re: Luke Fischer
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2014, 11:06:50 PM »
That shoulder worries me.  It maybe just that it was so heavily wrapped that it constricted his mobility, but it appeared he was favoring it, and not in a good way.  

The wrapped left shoulder looked pretty good on that little lefty baby hook.  
I hope it's not a factor down the road though.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 11:20:26 AM by T-Bone »
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2014, 11:07:11 PM »
Yippee! A thread about a great game by our newest eligible member of the team turns into Ners bashing Derrick! Woo hoo!

Seriously, weren't you self banning yourself?

Take it up with Brandx for making the stupid point and introducing Derrick into this topic.

And no..I wasn't self banning myself.  

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2014, 11:16:26 PM »
Take it up with Brandx for making the stupid point and introducing Derrick into this topic.

Ahh, really? Okay, my mistake, must've misinterpreted when you said, and I directly quote a poll you started about yourself (what kind of problems do you have to have to do that?), "Figured I'd give the board their chance to speak as I've ruffled a lot of feathers here.  I'll voluntarily go away if the majority of the board votes me off. (And I think it will be a close vote.)

Have fun with it Scoop."

Sorry, that post just seems like you're saying you'd ban yourself. Maybe I just can't read.

And somebody opined that Derrick's defense was why he was playing so you had to take a thread offering congratulations to a kid for having a great first game and turn it into a thread bashing Derrick? Dear Lord I feel sorry for you. And if you really don't think Luke's availability is part of the reason that Derrick's minutes were cut into then you truly might be the least knowledgeable poster when it comes to understanding the game of basketball. But wait, you played high school basketball, that couldn't be.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brandx

« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2014, 11:16:47 PM »
Yippee! A thread about a great game by our newest eligible member of the team turns into Ners bashing Derrick! Woo hoo!

Seriously, weren't you self banning yourself?

You were expecting something new from him? ;D

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2014, 11:16:54 PM »

No Ners, Brandx is under the common misconception that Derrick is actually a good defender and thus keeps repeating it.  His defense looks good compared to his offense so naturally when announcers say things about him it is related to his defense.

I will never forget the game last season when in the waning seconds Derrick Wilson isn't even looking at his defender when he picks up his dribble and drains the game winner.

All that said, YOU DID use your post to influence this topic with a very negative post about Derrick Wilson.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

brandx

« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2014, 11:19:57 PM »
No Ners, Brandx is under the common misconception that Derrick is actually a good defender and thus keeps repeating it.  His defense looks good compared to his offense so naturally when announcers say things about him it is related to his defense.

I will never forget the game last season when in the waning seconds Derrick Wilson isn't even looking at his defender when he picks up his dribble and drains the game winner.

All that said, YOU DID use your post to influence this topic with a very negative post about Derrick Wilson.

I am under the impression that he is a better defender than Deonte was or JJJ is. Anyone who knows basketball would agree with this.

The fact that you and Ners don't says it all.

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2014, 11:22:14 PM »
I am under the impression that he is a better defender than Deonte was or JJJ is. Anyone who knows basketball would agree with this.

Quit moving the goal posts.  He's also a better defender than Carlino but 1) He wasn't taking time from Carlino and 2) that still doesn't make him a good defender.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2014, 11:30:38 PM »
Ahh, really? Okay, my mistake, must've misinterpreted when you said, and I directly quote a poll you started about yourself (what kind of problems do you have to have to do that?), "Figured I'd give the board their chance to speak as I've ruffled a lot of feathers here.  I'll voluntarily go away if the majority of the board votes me off. (And I think it will be a close vote.)

Have fun with it Scoop."

Sorry, that post just seems like you're saying you'd ban yourself. Maybe I just can't read.

And somebody opined that Derrick's defense was why he was playing so you had to take a thread offering congratulations to a kid for having a great first game and turn it into a thread bashing Derrick? Dear Lord I feel sorry for you. And if you really don't think Luke's availability is part of the reason that Derrick's minutes were cut into then you truly might be the least knowledgeable poster when it comes to understanding the game of basketball. But wait, you played high school basketball, that couldn't be.

LOL.  If you believe a 6'1" post player cut into Derrick's minutes....have at it with your basketball brilliance.  

And as for the poll, it was ended by the Mods a day and a half before it became official.  So sorry.  Your stuck having to deal with me.

And Wades - what are your basketball playing day qualifications btw?  I know you have mentioned mine about 50 times, but what are yours?   

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2014, 11:36:39 PM »

Derrick is a better on ball man to man defender than Deonte and JJJ.  He is nowhere near as instinctual as either Deonte or JJJ.  Both Deonte and JJJ are far more disruptive.  The zone minimized Derrick's best asset.  Derrick is your AJ Hawk, assignment sure defender that rarely makes any mistakes, yet rarely makes any plays.  Deonte was a Clay Matthews type defender, a playmaker - but with that he also gave up some plays.

As I've said Brandx, at times you make very good basketball related points - suggesting Derrick played less tonight because of Luke was not one of them.

But back to Luke - everyone can agree he looks like a major talent, and major help for this team. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2014, 11:37:11 PM »
It wasn't official? It was never going to be official. Unless the mods ban you, it's not official. The only question is if you go through with your word or back out on it. You offered to self ban, you lied. It's okay to admit you can't live without Scoop, but please stop with the "official" excuse because there is no official with a voluntary self imposed ban.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2014, 11:37:21 PM »
LOL.  If you believe a 6'1" post player cut into Derrick's minutes....have at it with your basketball brilliance.  

And as for the poll, it was ended by the Mods a day and a half before it became official.  So sorry.  Your stuck having to deal with me.

And Wades - what are your basketball playing day qualifications btw?  I know you have mentioned mine about 50 times, but what are yours?        

You know, I think today is your unlucky day.  You seem to think me locking YOUR THREAD was somehow a sign I (we) approved of you and your posts.  When I lock a thread, it means the thread is out of line.  And you really can't give up talking about Derrick, so you just won a 30 day vacation.  Congrats.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2014, 11:55:45 PM »
You know, I think today is your unlucky day.  You seem to think me locking YOUR THREAD was somehow a sign I (we) approved of you and your posts.  When I lock a thread, it means the thread is out of line.  And you really can't give up talking about Derrick, so you just won a 30 day vacation.  Congrats.

TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2014, 12:13:50 AM »
Hooray for the Banhammer - but Derrick really did suck tonight....  irony...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2014, 12:35:15 AM »
I fully understand those who are saying, "Let's wait to see what the future brings against better opponents," and I'm a voice-of-reason kind of guy myself.

But I could not help but be incredibly impressed with how polished and prepared he was after not playing in a college basketball game for a year.

Tonight's game changed the second he stepped on the court, and he excelled in every phase.

I mean, if we're not allowed to get excited about a performance like that, why even bother being fans?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2014, 12:43:59 AM »
I fully understand those who are saying, "Let's wait to see what the future brings against better opponents," and I'm a voice-of-reason kind of guy myself.

But I could not help but be incredibly impressed with how polished and prepared he was after not playing in a college basketball game for a year.

Tonight's game changed the second he stepped on the court, and he excelled in every phase.

I mean, if we're not allowed to get excited about a performance like that, why even bother being fans?

I was originally guessing when it was all said and done he would be a 15-20mpg, 5ppg, 4pg, 1bpg type of player.  If he is half as productive as he was tonight he is going to be a 20-25mpg, 10ppg, 7rpg, 2bpg player.  That is going to be huge for this team.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2014, 12:57:09 AM »
I wasn't able to watch, but this thread made me happy. Thank you, Scoop.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

LA

• Starter
« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2014, 01:01:02 AM »
Luke came from an excellent HS program, and was very well-coached. His understanding of space and positioning is so far ahead of Taylor, who is in his third year of D1 ball. He allows them to handle ball screens much better, and shut off some driving lanes. 19 points on the other end ain't bad, either.

I'll raise my hand and say I underestimated how much he'd help. I know it's one game, but things just got interesting for this team.

Not disagreeing with you that individually Luke seems to be ahead of Taylor in terms of basketball IQ at the moment, but last I checked Steve's HS program wasn't too shabby......

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2014, 01:05:31 AM »
Luke came from an excellent HS program, and was very well-coached. His understanding of space and positioning is so far ahead of Taylor, who is in his third year of D1 ball. He allows them to handle ball screens much better, and shut off some driving lanes. 19 points on the other end ain't bad, either.

I'll raise my hand and say I underestimated how much he'd help. I know it's one game, but things just got interesting for this team.

Umm I know Germantown is a good program and Luke was there for some really strong years but Simeon is a national power. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2014, 01:06:10 AM »

Watching the game with my wife (a fellow MU alum), I remarked several times that Luke obviously was very well-coached from a pretty early age. He did a great job of staying vertical and not slapping down at the ball to draw cheap fouls. He moved his feet well and almost always was in excellent position.

Those are all signs of a hard-working, very coachable player.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2014, 07:50:51 AM »
Looking tired in the second half.   IMO, Wojo should have run STjr in and out to give him a little rest. 

Totally agree with that.  Steve needed more than 8 minutes.  I think mental fatigue played a pretty big part in our last few minutes.

MURFC

• Team Captain
« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2014, 08:04:57 AM »

BOOM!  Love it.

Sharpie

• Team Captain
« Reply #71 on: December 17, 2014, 08:07:02 AM »

Finally! I don't think the board could be any happier after a good win last night, Luke's return, and a Ners ban. This week just got a whole lot better. And that's sad to say considering I already had the dude on ignore.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #72 on: December 17, 2014, 08:09:56 AM »
Finally! I don't think the board could be any happier after a good win last night, Luke's return, and a Ners ban. This week just got a whole lot better. And that's sad to say considering I already had the dude on ignore.

A nice win and a Ners ban.  It's like sweeping a double header!

On the Luke topic, I agree that we need to get more minutes for Steve.  Luke was awesome and Steve is undersized for a 5, but I just don't see Luke holding out for 35 mpg.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #73 on: December 17, 2014, 08:36:16 AM »
last I checked Steve's HS program wasn't too shabby......
Umm I know Germantown is a good program and Luke was there for some really strong years but Simeon is a national power.  

What does Simeon have to do with this?

The point was that Luke was well-coached, and has a better understanding of space and positioning than Taylor does. At this point in his career, that's more of an indictment of Steve (and Buzz) than Simeon.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 08:38:20 AM by MUfan12 »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #74 on: December 17, 2014, 08:39:38 AM »
Ners banned?

Now he's got something else to blame on Derrick!!