[Today at 11:44:03 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 10:43:34 AM]

NM by Tyler COLEk
[Today at 01:04:38 AM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by Billy Hoyle
[June 18, 2024, 09:06:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: How Bad was Deonte?  (Read 14465 times)

NersEllenson

• All American
How Bad was Deonte?
« on: December 11, 2014, 08:16:10 PM »
Lots here are tearing apart Burton's play this season.  Was he as good as we all thought he'd be coming into this year?  No.  Dealing with a loss?  Yes.  New coaching staff/philosophy?  Yes.  Given choppy playing time that leads to choppy performance?  Yes.

But let's look at his per 40 Numbers:

15.8ppg
47.2% FG shooting
76.5% FT shooting
40% 3 point shooting
57.8 % True Shooting percentage
2.74 Rebounds per 40 - not great - but he is only 6'3"
2.75 steals per 40 - 4.7% steal percentage = Top 50 of all college basketball players

You can compare those with Derrick Wilson's numbers and its a landslide as to how much of a better player he is/was - even though he's gotten trashed by many here. 

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compare?add=derrick-wilson&p1=2-deonte-burton
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
Re: How Bad was Deonte?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 08:23:48 PM »
Lots here are tearing apart Burton's play this season.  Was he as good as we all thought he'd be coming into this year?  No.  Dealing with a loss?  Yes.  New coaching staff/philosophy?  Yes.  Given choppy playing time that leads to choppy performance?  Yes.

15.8ppg
47.2% FG shooting
76.5% FT shooting
40% 3 point shooting
2.75 steals per 40 - 4.7% steal percentage = Top 50 of all college basketball players

You can compare those with Derrick Wilson's numbers and its a landslide as to how much of a better player he is/was - even though he's gotten trashed by many here. 

STOP.

PLEASE.

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 08:25:14 PM »
Ners -

While like you, I am not one who believes a coach is infallible and I spent yesterday being frustrated with MU losing a better player than many want to admit, at this point we're 36 hours removed from the news of his transfer and it's probably best to move on.

Deonte Burton won't be wearing a Marquette jersey again.

It doesn't mean I think it's any better of a situation today than it was yesterday, but it's the situation moving forward.

Let it go.  For your own sake.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 08:25:28 PM »
You want to know why people wanted you to ban yourself?  This is it.  Right here.  Starting a new thread on the same subject that you have already addressed repeatedly.

We get your point.  You are not changing anyone's mind.  All you are doing is pissing people off and forcing people to not take you seriously.

Do you really want that?  Do you want to be known as a joke or a parody?

connie

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 08:27:30 PM »
Loved Deonte.  Wish he stayed.  He did look totally lost on d, and looked like he was forcing some on offense.  

Honestly, your best argument is that as long as we are going to be mediocre to bad this year we should get the younger guys as many minutes as we can. You keep picking a fight on the premise of x is better than y, when the people entrusted with the program don't agree.  
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 08:30:49 PM »
Attention Scoop!  Please be certain to include Derrick Wilson in all thread titles and posts from now on. I've hard that a poster's failure to do so could be cause for the ban hammer!  I call for a poll on what to call Scoop from today forward.  I vote for "MU Derrick Bashing Scoop"!    

After all, every thread turns into that anyway, might as well cut to the chase.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

wrmrkt

• Walk-On
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 08:31:22 PM »

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 08:33:04 PM »
Seriously. Haven't the mods threatened to ban you for not giving up on this crap? Enough is enough man

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 08:35:19 PM »
You want to know why people wanted you to ban yourself?  This is it.  Right here.  Starting a new thread on the same subject that you have already addressed repeatedly.

We get your point.  You are not changing anyone's mind.  All you are doing is pissing people off and forcing people to not take you seriously.

Do you really want that?  Do you want to be known as a joke or a parody?

Deonte's stats for the year had not been highlighted, pointed out in a clear space/place.  He's been ripped pretty good by many here, and I found it interesting to review for how "bad/awful/lost" etc., he was, his numbers are pretty decent.

People may not like me here, but please, for the love of God - look at the above numbers and ask yourself: Just how God Awful was Deonte??

And for some to try to minimize his transfer as not being a very big deal?  Come on.  The guy had a very high ceiling and he decided it was best for him to move on than stay at MU under Wojo.

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2014, 08:37:48 PM »
Deonte's stats for the year had not been highlighted, pointed out in a clear space/place.  He's been ripped pretty good by many here, and I found it interesting to review for how "bad/awful/lost" etc., he was, his numbers are pretty decent.

People may not like me here, but please, for the love of God - look at the above numbers and ask yourself: Just how God Awful was Deonte??

And for some to try to minimize his transfer as not being a very big deal?  Come on.  The guy had a very high ceiling and he decided it was best for him to move on than stay at MU under Wojo.

Deonte isn't bad, but he is gone.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2014, 08:38:16 PM »

YOU HAVE FINALLY CONVINCED ME!!!!

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2014, 08:56:48 PM »
No one, not one single person, compared Deonte to Derrick. Ever. Except you. Sure, some people may have responded to your comparison, seeing as how it's ridiculous. But no one ever said Derrick was better. Or that Deonte shouldn't be playing because of Derrick. Sometimes you're great, sometimes you're out of your mind.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2014, 09:11:56 PM »

15.8ppg
47.2% FG shooting
76.5% FT shooting
40% 3 point shooting

Thanks for posting these stats. We lost a very high quality kid.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2014, 09:16:36 PM »
He started an entire poll about himself, saying he would "self ban" himself if the majority voted he should be banned.  What were the results?  A majority voted he should be banned.  Did he go away?  Well...

So, it was just for his own publicity.  "Hey, look at me!  I have an 8 page poll about myself!"

He said he would stop talking about the Derrick debate.  Did he stop talking about the Derrick debate?  Well...

We don't already have enough threads about this.  Let's start another thread on it!  "Hey guys, I wasn't getting enough attention on this board, so let me start another thread on a topic that has about 20 threads on it already!"

It is honestly sad.  Makes this place truly hard to enjoy.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2014, 09:21:32 PM »
in corporate America there are two types that fail - 1) wrong gal/guy and 2) right gal/guy wrong position/time/situation.  the later is what most rational folks who are not Wojo or Deante assume happened.  it DOESN'T HAVE TO BE SOMEONE'S FAULT!!!!

Was every girlfriend you didn't marry bad?  No, it just didn't work.

either accept that some situation just are not right and both parties are OK or ........sorry (seriously, i'm sorry for you that you view things this way)

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2014, 09:22:09 PM »
I do not know why Derrick even comes into this discussion. There is no way Burton is a point guard, which is where Derrick getswmost of his time. Besides that numbers do not show everyting that a player means to the team.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2014, 09:34:18 PM »
Look, he has decided to move on. Let's do the following as good fans and good Catholic Christians:

1) Acknowledge the situation wasn't right
  2) Wish Deonte well and hope his new situation is more suited to who and what he is.
  3) Move on and expect our guys will fill the gaps, make the plays and show the world "We are Marquette!"

Here's the reality. Anyone over 30 years of age in this room probably has made a life decision they wish they hadn't.  Heck, half the married couples in America find themselves in divorce. There's a reason for it folks and it isn't a value judgment that the plaintiff and defendant is or was bad. Same for jobs. Some people get excited, take a job and six months latter think, "what the h*ll did I do!" In short, there are points in our lives that no matter how well intentioned, were not right for us. Period. It doesn't mean we were bad. Rather, the situation wasn't right and it was time to move on.

Deonte was in the same boat. Leadership changed and his talents didn't fit the direction in which new leadership sought to take the team. If we look at the situation with the maturity of reason, Deonte isn't bad. There's just some place where he fits better than Marquette. if we condemn or ostracize him, we fail to see that we all have failings and need to extricate ourselves from sub-optimal situations.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2014, 09:37:27 PM »
Can we just kill this thread?

Please?

brandx

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2014, 09:37:32 PM »
He started an entire poll about himself, saying he would "self ban" himself if the majority voted he should be banned.  What were the results?  A majority voted he should be banned.  Did he go away?  Well...

So, it was just for his own publicity.  "Hey, look at me!  I have an 8 page poll about myself!"

He said he would stop talking about the Derrick debate.  Did he stop talking about the Derrick debate?  Well...

We don't already have enough threads about this.  Let's start another thread on it!  "Hey guys, I wasn't getting enough attention on this board, so let me start another thread on a topic that has about 20 threads on it already!"

It is honestly sad.  Makes this place truly hard to enjoy.

Let's ALL just not reply to him at all. Ever.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2014, 09:54:53 PM »
Ners is just setting us all up in case he ever becomes a criminal defendant.

Is there ANYONE here who would wouldn't attest to the fact that he is completely, certifiably insane?

Well played, Ners.

MURFC

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2014, 10:03:25 PM »

Wow, this is really obnoxious.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2014, 10:07:39 PM »
Why did you leave out the 5 fouls per game, the 3.5 turnovers and the 0.2 Assist to turnover ratio.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2014, 10:16:30 PM »
Give 'em hell Ners!
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2014, 10:17:18 PM »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2014, 10:39:39 PM »
Wow, this is really obnoxious.

It's kind of insane. So insane, I can only hope Ners has nothing better to do than push buttons for attention. I really hope Ners is that bored.
We Are Marquette

feedback