'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: How Bad was Deonte?  (Read 14464 times)

buckchuckler

• All American
Re: How Bad was Deonte?
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2014, 10:44:07 PM »
Lots here are tearing apart Burton's play this season.  Was he as good as we all thought he'd be coming into this year?  No.  Dealing with a loss?  Yes.  New coaching staff/philosophy?  Yes.  Given choppy playing time that leads to choppy performance?  Yes.

But let's look at his per 40 Numbers:

15.8ppg
47.2% FG shooting
76.5% FT shooting
40% 3 point shooting
57.8 % True Shooting percentage
2.74 Rebounds per 40 - not great - but he is only 6'3"
2.75 steals per 40 - 4.7% steal percentage = Top 50 of all college basketball players

You can compare those with Derrick Wilson's numbers and its a landslide as to how much of a better player he is/was - even though he's gotten trashed by many here. 

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compare?add=derrick-wilson&p1=2-deonte-burton

Gosh, you are really smart.  Thank you for this really,really valuable new information. 

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2014, 11:26:03 PM »
Alright, I think I am finally on the annoyed side.

This was just another weird(and possibly sadistic) way to work in a Derrick jab.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2014, 11:37:24 PM »
Alright, I think I am finally on the annoyed side.

This was just another weird(and possibly sadistic) way to work in a Derrick jab.

Sorry Hayward - It wasn't.  I'm simply pointing out that Deonte was somewhat maligned for his performance this year, and when you look at it - the numbers are pretty solid.  And, given that we have two good ball handlers in both Duane and Carlino - it seems a case legitimately could have been made for  playing Burton over Derrick, particularly since we evolved into a zone team.  Nothing more to it.  

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2014, 12:02:43 AM »
Sorry Hayward - It wasn't.  I'm simply pointing out that Deonte was somewhat maligned for his performance this year, and when you look at it - the numbers are pretty solid.  And, given that we have two good ball handlers in both Duane and Carlino - it seems a case legitimately could have been made for  playing Burton over Derrick, particularly since we evolved into a zone team.  Nothing more to it.  

Too bad Wojo wants 3 guards on the floor.

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2014, 12:05:33 AM »
Too bad Wojo wants 3 guards on the floor.

Does Wojo have any other choice this year?
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

brandx

« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2014, 12:11:40 AM »

Don't respond to him on this subject!!!!! You may as well just ask him to start another thread on the SAME SUBJECT. And another. And another.

We need to get to the point where if he wants to talk to someone about this - he needs to stand in front of a mirror.

He is destroying this board!!!!!

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2014, 12:21:23 AM »

I don't believe so, no. But isn't that the whole point in this silly, illogical Deonte-for-Derrick debate?

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2014, 06:07:08 AM »
I keep thinking I'm going to turn on the news some day and see Ners protesting in the streets against Derrick Wilson's playing time.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2014, 06:09:42 AM »
I keep thinking I'm going to turn on the news some day and see Ners protesting in the streets against Derrick Wilson's playing time.

Wearing a t-shirt saying "I can't stop posting the same damn thing."
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2014, 07:15:16 AM »
Don't respond to him on this subject!!!!! You may as well just ask him to start another thread on the SAME SUBJECT. And another. And another.

We need to get to the point where if he wants to talk to someone about this - he needs to stand in front of a mirror.

He is destroying this board!!!!!

I don't think he's destroying the board because I still find other stuff worth reading. But otherwise I'm with you.

I successfully gave myself a Derrick Moratorium for more than a month last year. And since Ners can't do the same for himself, despite multiple promises that he would, I am hereby giving myself a Ners Moratorium.

The crazy thing about this for me is that I agree with his basic premise. I just don't need to agree with it a 9,533rd time.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MURFC

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2014, 07:16:07 AM »
It's kind of insane. So insane, I can only hope Ners has nothing better to do than push buttons for attention. I really hope Ners is that bored.

It does seem to be some kind of pathology, doesn't it?  If not, he is just REALLY  bored and REALLY good at pushing buttons!

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2014, 07:31:12 AM »
I don't think he's destroying the board because I still find other stuff worth reading. But otherwise I'm with you.

I successfully gave myself a Derrick Moratorium for more than a month last year. And since Ners can't do the same for himself, despite multiple promises that he would, I am hereby giving myself a Ners Moratorium.

The crazy thing about this for me is that I agree with his basic premise. I just don't need to agree with it a 9,533rd time.

For everyone complaining about Ners, why not simply put him on ignore?  No snark here, it's a genuine question, as I have never put anyone on ignore.  Is putting someone on ignore not sufficient to avoid that person?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2014, 07:52:00 AM »
I do put people on ignore.   I had Ners on ignore from early January until Buzz left last season.   Chico is on a week-to-week basis.   I took him off ignore to see how he would defend Crean from all of the player issues at IU, but he chose prudence and said nothing.    The 'problem' with ignore is that so many people will quote a post that they are responding to that you end up seeing 3/4 of the stuff anyway. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2014, 07:54:46 AM »
For everyone complaining about Ners, why not simply put him on ignore?  No snark here, it's a genuine question, as I have never put anyone on ignore.  Is putting someone on ignore not sufficient to avoid that person?

It's done.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2014, 08:15:04 AM »

I'm with you MU82.  I was all in with Ners since the Ohio State game last year, but I tired of the subject long before the end of last season and you're not going to change anyone's mind anyway, so just bringing it up over and over and over again is just pointless and tedious.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2014, 08:24:16 AM »
I have never put anyone on ignore and I do not plan on ever doing it.

However, why does anyone think Burton, a quitter should be compared to Derrick, who I doubt would quit in any circumstance. I will take the less talented player who gives 100% everyday versus the player who quits when life gets tough.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2014, 08:30:12 AM »

The point is that you have said the same damn things literally hundreds if not thousands of times.

Look, I went on a Derrick Moratorium on Tuesday along with you.  I have stuck with it.  You haven't. 

And since the mods don't seem interested in following through with what they said earlier I am simply not going to acknowledge for awhile.  Ners Moratorium it is.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2014, 08:50:30 AM »
Ban.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2014, 09:07:49 AM »
The stats Ners gave are good, but we need some context here as well.

Per 40, Deonte is avg:
3.4 reb (Jake Thomas esque)
5 personal fouls
3.4 TOs
.6 ast (Ousmane Barro-esque)

Now, I cherry pick these stats for this reason:

I suspect that that Deonte is not over matched physically, but rather mentally this season. He seems to be in the wrong places on the court, and then improvises outside of the team concept.

He's not rebounding at an acceptable rate, he fouls too often because he is out of position, he turns the ball over because he doesn't understand where/when to be aggressive, and his assist rate is atrocious (likely because he's not executing the offensive concepts, and because he loves to shoot).

I LOVE Deonte. He's my favorite player. But, he's young, and his game is flawed right now. That's why his minutes are limited.

I wish him and his family the best. I think he's going to be a really good player as he matures.

*Oh, and I absolutely acknowledge that Wojo might have made mistakes in this situation. I'm just not going to lay all of the blame on his rotations.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 09:25:12 AM by Canned Goods n Ammo »

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2014, 09:16:11 AM »
The stats Ners gave are good, but we need some context here as well.

Per 40, Deonte is avg:
3.4 reb (Jake Thomas esque)
5 personal fouls
3.4 TOs
.6 ast (Ousmane Barro-esque)

Now, I cherry pick these stats for this reason:

I suspect that that Deonte is not over matched physically, but rather mentally this season. He seems to be in the wrong places on the court, and then improvises outside of the team concept.

He's not rebounding at an acceptable rate, he fouls too often because he is out of position, he turns the ball over because he doesn't understand where/when to be aggressive, and his assist rate is atrocious (likely because he's not executing the offensive concepts, and because he loves to shoot).

I LOVE Deonte. He's my favorite player. But, he's young, and his game is flawed right now. That's why his minutes are limited.

I wish him and his family the best. I think he's going to be a really good player as he matures.

Enabler!

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2014, 09:17:45 AM »
I kinda like this thread, actually. To watch this many people be irritated at the same time by the same person is rather impressive.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2014, 09:17:57 AM »

I think the surface has barely been scratched. He could come up with all sorts of creative ways to work in a "Derrick jab."

"I read in the news today that falling oil prices is beginning to hurt the market for derricks.  Speaking of which, Derrick Wilson doesn't drill enough 3 pointers . . . ."

Or "I was watching some reruns of Home Improvement and realized that Wilson character never shows his face.  Which reminds me, I don't understand why Wojo still allows Derrick Wilson to show his face . . . ."

This is going to get worse before it gets better.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2014, 09:23:16 AM »
Just ban the guy already.  We already had the vote.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2014, 09:31:30 AM »
Is putting someone on ignore not sufficient to avoid that person?
You would think so. I put Ners on ignore yesterday, but because he posts so frequently on the same issues that piss people off, people quote him -- and that cannot be IGNORED/HIDDEN. He is literally a one-man wrecking crew. Please don't feed the animals.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2014, 09:56:57 AM »
 Do you want to be known as a joke or a parody?

#donedeal
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

feedback