'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: OT: Vadger football putting on quite a show.  (Read 12978 times)

Groin_pull

• All American
OT: Vadger football putting on quite a show.
« on: December 06, 2014, 08:55:52 PM »
Finally playing a decent team and we see the results. Love it.

Nukem2

• All American
Re: OT: Vadger football putting on quite a show.
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 08:57:42 PM »
Finally playing a decent team and we see the results. Love it.
Those Big 10/11/12/14 divisions are lopsided.  They really need to revisit that.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 09:00:48 PM »
Bfin', hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 08:12:36 PM »
So...does UW-Madison get shares for Ohio State making the playoff, like in the NCAAs? That's the only way 59-0 makes sense, I mean how does a team get to their title game and roll over like a well trained dog?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 08:13:41 PM »
So...does UW-Madison get shares for Ohio State making the playoff, like in the NCAAs? That's the only way 59-0 makes sense, I mean how does a team get to their title game and roll over like a well trained dog?

Did you watch it?

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 08:54:07 PM »

I've traveled to two different cities today and both sports talk shows both asked if Wisky laid down on purpose. I don't know...I haven't watched OSU or UW enough to form an opinion. What I do know is that the Big10 will make millions of dollars with OSU in the playoff, regardless of how many points Bama slaps them with.

Personally, I don't care that a B12 team got screwed. They played it safe by not having a championship game. It came back to bite them...as it should have. Every fan across the planet knew any B12 team would have a weak resume because they are....stubborn....and thought they had the arrogance to qualify with a championship game. Oops. Bit$h slap. Suck it. I guess I just hate that OSU is the recipient of the B12's ineptitude.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 09:19:18 PM »

Not a shock. The Vadgers are a crap team that has played no one all season. Fattened up on conference bottom feeders and got rolled by a decent team.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 09:37:01 PM »
I've traveled to two different cities today and both sports talk shows both asked if Wisky laid down on purpose. I don't know...I haven't watched OSU or UW enough to form an opinion. What I do know is that the Big10 will make millions of dollars with OSU in the playoff, regardless of how many points Bama slaps them with.

Personally, I don't care that a B12 team got screwed. They played it safe by not having a championship game. It came back to bite them...as it should have. Every fan across the planet knew any B12 team would have a weak resume because they are....stubborn....and thought they had the arrogance to qualify with a championship game. Oops. Bit$h slap. Suck it. I guess I just hate that OSU is the recipient of the B12's ineptitude.

As far as I understand it, they can't have a championship game with only 10 teams in conference.

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 10:33:26 PM »
As far as I understand it, they can't have a championship game with only 10 teams in conference.

Of course the can't. A waiver has never been awarded for it. The B12 chose to take their big money and divide it by 10 teams instead of 12. As a result, they are upset that TCU didn't mkae it into the playoff. Funny. Every conference hosted a championship except them and now the don't like that they aren't getting the money? It was money that made them decide not to expand to 12 in the first place!!!!

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2014, 10:49:09 PM »
Of course the can't. A waiver has never been awarded for it. The B12 chose to take their big money and divide it by 10 teams instead of 12. As a result, they are upset that TCU didn't mkae it into the playoff. Funny. Every conference hosted a championship except them and now the don't like that they aren't getting the money? It was money that made them decide not to expand to 12 in the first place!!!!

Fair point. But the "best" 4 teams were supposed to be in the playoff. TCU and Baylor are both better and have a better body of work  than OSU.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 11:02:54 PM »

Says who? The NCAA? The same organization that bows down to the Power Five?

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2014, 07:04:47 AM »
Fair point. But the "best" 4 teams were supposed to be in the playoff. TCU and Baylor are both better and have a better body of work  than OSU.

TCU and Baylor won't draw the same number of viewers as tOSU. Has nothing to do with which teams are better. There are no cinderellas in college football.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2014, 07:31:22 AM »

All three had identical records and OSU had the best strength of schedule. 

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2014, 07:36:19 AM »
Wiscy opens as 7 point underdogs to Auburn.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2014, 07:45:58 AM »
It feels like TCU and Baylor cancelled each other out.  The committee couldn't decide between co-champs, even though one of them won head to head.  Also, TCU played a nobody while FSU, Baylor, and Ohio St each played a top 15 opponent.  All three won and jumped TCU who fell victim to the schedule.

I always thought the whole weekly ranking announcement was worthless, and with TCU dropping the last week I'll say I was right.  The only ranking that matters is the final one.  Imagine the selection committee announcing the NCAA Tourney bracket each week from now up until Selection Sunday.  How much would the weekly bracket matter? Zippo.  But in football weekly rankings are king and the addicts tune in every week.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2014, 08:34:30 AM »
TCU and Baylor getting "snubbed" may galvanize the Big 12 into expanding. They need a championship game to give their teams the extra boost into the playoffs. Who they would take, I have no idea. Cincinnati? BYU? Houston? Tulane? Boise State? Colorado State?  but the realignment carousel could be spinning again soon. Whatever the out come its probably not good for the AAC.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 08:36:09 AM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2014, 08:57:23 AM »
Ohio State may be deserving of the 4th slot. And Florida State the 3rd (though they've done it with mirrors all year). But how in the wide, wide world of sports does a team win 55-6 (could have gone for 62 but for a kneel down) and DROP 2 slots? If they were really 3rd going in they should have stayed there.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2014, 09:06:56 AM »
TCU and Baylor won't draw the same number of viewers as tOSU. Has nothing to do with which teams are better. There are no cinderellas in college football.

There you go. 100% correct. College football doesn't give a damn about fairness. They care about making money and drawing fans. While the Big 10 is garbage, it's teams draw fans...and their money. That's all that matters in NCAA world.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2014, 10:45:19 AM »
There you go. 100% correct. College football doesn't give a damn about fairness. They care about making money and drawing fans. While the Big 10 is garbage, it's teams draw fans...and their money. That's all that matters in NCAA world.

Again, you are completely ignoring basic facts.  Ohio State had a better strength of schedule than TCU or Baylor.

On what basis do you think the other two were more deserving?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2014, 10:52:04 AM »

The narrative totally changes though if OSU craps the bed against Wisconsin or if GT knocks off FSU.

The whole point of the committee was to eliminate the whole who lost last thing, but if FSU loses in the conference championship, is there any way they are in?  Their strength of schedule would be better than TCU and Baylor with the same record, but who would put FSU in at that point.

If that had happened, B12 looks like geniuses for not scheduling the championship risk.

Just go to 8 teams and we never have to worry about this again.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2014, 10:58:13 AM »

Again, you are completely ignoring basic facts.  Ohio State had a better strength of schedule than TCU or Baylor.

The fact that Ohio State's only loss came at home by 14 to a 6-6 team who went 3-5 in an awful conference while TCU's only loss was to the #5 team in the country on the road by 3...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

warriorbill

• Walk-On
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2014, 11:08:19 AM »

Again, you are completely ignoring basic facts.  Ohio State had a better strength of schedule than TCU or Baylor.

You are 100% correct. TCU & Baylor were penalized for not having a conference championship and playing a pathetic non-conference schedule. They have no one to blame but themselves. Despite OSU's bad loss (the 2nd game of the season with a very inexperienced QB by the way), their resume is still far better than TCU or Baylor.

I actually was at the game. I don't believe for a moment that Wisconsin laid down. Ohio State just thoroughly dominated them from start to finish. Some very shocked Bucky fans in Indy. I live in Cincy and they are hot on the talk now of UC going to the Big 12.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2014, 11:11:07 AM »

Whose SOS were they using?  Sagarin had TCU with a better schedule. OSU was better than Baylor's.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2014, 11:12:49 AM »
The fact that Ohio State's only loss came at home by 14 to a 6-6 team who went 3-5 in an awful conference while TCU's only loss was to the #5 team in the country on the road by 3...

But that is taken care of in the strength of schedule calculation.  You can't simply look at who had the "best loss" without taking into consideration who had the better victories.

For instance, TCU had two victories over opponents currently in the top 25 (KSU, Minnestota).  OSU had three (MSU, UW, Minnesota).  

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2014, 11:13:16 AM »
Whose SOS were they using?  Sagarin had TCU with a better schedule. OSU was better than Baylor's.

I don't know which one they were using.  I pulled it off of ESPN last night.