'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: OT: Vadger football putting on quite a show.  (Read 12980 times)

Groin_pull

• All American
Re: OT: Vadger football putting on quite a show.
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2014, 11:13:25 AM »
You are 100% correct. TCU & Baylor were penalized for not having a conference championship and playing a pathetic non-conference schedule. They have no one to blame but themselves. Despite OSU's bad loss (the 2nd game of the season with a very inexperienced QB by the way), their resume is still far better than TCU or Baylor.

I actually was at the game. I don't believe for a moment that Wisconsin laid down. Ohio State just thoroughly dominated them from start to finish. Some very shocked Bucky fans in Indy. I live in Cincy and they are hot on the talk now of UC going to the Big 12.

Why would anyone assume the Vadgers "laid down?" They simply aren't that damn good. They beat no one all year. They lost to mediocre LSU and lousy Northwestern. They fattened up on the numerous Big 10 bottom feeders...and got destroyed by a solid—but not spectacular—Ohio State.

warriorbill

• Walk-On
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2014, 12:28:46 PM »
Why would anyone assume the Vadgers "laid down?" They simply aren't that damn good. They beat no one all year. They lost to mediocre LSU and lousy Northwestern. They fattened up on the numerous Big 10 bottom feeders...and got destroyed by a solid—but not spectacular—Ohio State.

I won't compare the Big 10 to the SEC, but the conference is not that bad. Wisconsin has maybe the best running back in the country and a good defense. We'll see what they do against Auburn. Ohio State was just in a zone unlike anything I have seen before and it snowballed. I honestly believe OSU would crush either TCU or Baylor. The conference that is really overrated is the Big 12.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2014, 12:41:05 PM »
I won't compare the Big 10 to the SEC, but the conference is not that bad. Wisconsin has maybe the best running back in the country and a good defense. We'll see what they do against Auburn. Ohio State was just in a zone unlike anything I have seen before and it snowballed. I honestly believe OSU would crush either TCU or Baylor. The conference that is really overrated is the Big 12.

Look at the B1G's non-conference results.  Ohio State beats Cinci (woo hoo!) and gets beat pretty badly by Virginia Tech.  Michigan State beats nobody and gets stomped by Oregon.  Maryland beats South Florida (woo hoo!) and Syracuse (woo hoo!) and loses to West Virginia (0-1 against the Big 12).  Rutgers beats Washington State (woo hoo!).  Michigan loses to Notre Dame and Utah.  Penn State beat UCF (woo hoo!).  Indiana beat Mizzou (hey, a good win for the B1G!) and lost to Bowling Green.  Wisconsin beat South Florida (woo hoo!) and lost to LSU.  Minnesota lost to TCU (0-2 against the Big 12 for the conference).  Nebraska beat Miami (Woo hoo!  6-6, 3-5 in the ACC!) and Fresno State (woo hoo!).  Iowa beat Pitt (woo hoo!) and lost to Iowa State (0-3 against the Big 12 for the B1G).  Illinois lost to Washington.  Northwestern lost to Cal and Northern Illinois.  Purdue lost to Notre Dame and Central Michigan.

The B1G got ONE win in non-conference between their FOURTEEN members that I would consider quality.  They also went 0-3 against Big 12 teams.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2014, 01:16:13 PM »
Look at the B1G's non-conference results.  Ohio State beats Cinci (woo hoo!) and gets beat pretty badly by Virginia Tech.  Michigan State beats nobody and gets stomped by Oregon.  Maryland beats South Florida (woo hoo!) and Syracuse (woo hoo!) and loses to West Virginia (0-1 against the Big 12).  Rutgers beats Washington State (woo hoo!).  Michigan loses to Notre Dame and Utah.  Penn State beat UCF (woo hoo!).  Indiana beat Mizzou (hey, a good win for the B1G!) and lost to Bowling Green.  Wisconsin beat South Florida (woo hoo!) and lost to LSU.  Minnesota lost to TCU (0-2 against the Big 12 for the conference).  Nebraska beat Miami (Woo hoo!  6-6, 3-5 in the ACC!) and Fresno State (woo hoo!).  Iowa beat Pitt (woo hoo!) and lost to Iowa State (0-3 against the Big 12 for the B1G).  Illinois lost to Washington.  Northwestern lost to Cal and Northern Illinois.  Purdue lost to Notre Dame and Central Michigan.

The B1G got ONE win in non-conference between their FOURTEEN members that I would consider quality.  They also went 0-3 against Big 12 teams.

You're wasting your time. Big 10 defenders still think it's 1968. They don't realize their precious conference has been passed by the SEC, Pac-12, and yes, Big 12. And 6-6 VT beat mighty Ohio State, you could say the ACC is better too.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2014, 01:32:00 PM »
You're wasting your time. Big 10 defenders still think it's 1968. They don't realize their precious conference has been passed by the SEC, Pac-12, and yes, Big 12. And 6-6 VT beat mighty Ohio State, you could say the ACC is better too.

I agree that the Big Twelethirfourteen is overrated.  The thing that makes me wonder if Becky rolled over is a comparison of their non-conference loss with OSU's.

Becky lost a 4-point game (28-24) on the road to Auburn...a good team that finished 8-4, and 4-4 in the SEC - easily the best conference.

The Spuds lost a two TD game at home to Va Tech...a mediocre team that finished 6-6 overall and 3-5 in the ACC - hardly as good as the SEC.  And they played Becky with a third-string QB starting his first game.

I know comparisons like this are poor predictors of actual outcome...but they would at least seem to indicate that Becky is much much closer to OSU than a 59-point drubbing.

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2014, 02:26:06 PM »
Just go to 8 teams and we never have to worry about this again.

Until we start arguing about the 9th team that was unjustly left out.  That debate will always happen, whether we are talking about the third team that was left out of the National Championship team, the 5th team left out of the playoffs, the 65th/66th/69th team left out of the NCAAs--whenever you have a subjective committee making decisions like this, there will be debate about who should have gotten in and who was left out.

That said, I personally like 6 teams--give the champs of each of the P5 a spot, and then the 6th goes to the highest remaining team.  Top two teams get a bye.  Would be easier, lay out a decent path that everyone understands and knows exactly what you need to do to get in.  Provides all of the conferences with a seat at the table, while leaving one extra spot up for grabs, which could also allow for a non-P5 to crash the party.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2014, 02:35:47 PM »

I'm not defending the Big Ten.  I am defending the process that selected Ohio State over TCU and Baylor using *objective* criteria.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2014, 02:39:39 PM »

I'm not defending the Big Ten.  I am defending the process that selected Ohio State over TCU and Baylor using *objective* criteria.

I guess I just don't understand how a team that wins by 52 points can fall 3 spots in 1 week. Just doesn't make any sense. How was TCU objectively the 3rd best team in the country 5 days before the final poll came out and then objectively the 6th best team...after a 52 point win. That's absolutely absurd.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2014, 02:42:32 PM »
I guess I just don't understand how a team that wins by 52 points can fall 3 spots in 1 week. Just doesn't make any sense. How was TCU objectively the 3rd best team in the country 5 days before the final poll came out and then objectively the 6th best team...after a 52 point win. That's absolutely absurd.

I think the interim polls were dumb for this reason, but here is what happened last weekend:

**TCU beat a bad team that didn't help them at all in Iowa State.
**Oklahoma lost to OSU thus taking a "big win" away
**Ohio State beat a ranked team by 59 points.

OSU got a big boost in its SOS, while TCU got two big set backs.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2014, 02:58:52 PM »

I think the interim polls were dumb for this reason, but here is what happened last weekend:

Actually, 3 setbacks as the committee could not see a Big 12 champ.

mu_eyeballs

• Starter
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2014, 03:04:57 PM »
I live and work in Columbus so take this with a grain of salt.

I see people talk all the time about the NCAAs and how it is not how a team starts but how it finishes and that teams can grow as a season moves on...

The Buckeyes are a much different and more confident team on BOTH sides of the ball, than the team that looked sad, pathetic and weak minded against VA Tech.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2014, 03:34:23 PM »

Also, doesn't Baylor beating KSU (TCU's marquee win) diminish their strength of schedule as it gave KSU 3 losses.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2014, 03:38:57 PM »

It does when you realize that Ohio State is a bigger name...brings along more fans...and draws more viewers.

With the NCAA, it's all about money. First, last, and always.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2014, 04:21:03 PM »
It does when you realize that Ohio State is a bigger name...brings along more fans...and draws more viewers.

With the NCAA, it's all about money. First, last, and always.

Yep.  Ohio State: 57,466 students and a correspondingly huge alumni base; TCU: 10,033 students and a much smaller alumni base.  And that doesn't even include the K-Mart OSU fans across Ohio.  In Texas, the K-Mart fans aren't cheering for TCU.

Just shocking that OSU would pass up TCU.

warriorbill

• Walk-On
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2015, 12:44:37 PM »

It's not 1968-it's 2015 and the Big 10 looked pretty good yesterday. Nobody gave them a chance and Ohio State beat the mighty Tide with a third string quarterback. The Buckeyes have a young team and a bright future, and maybe Michigan will become relevant again. Good wins by Bucky & Michigan State also.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2015, 01:26:12 PM »

It's not 1968-it's 2015 and the Big 10 looked pretty good yesterday. Nobody gave them a chance and Ohio State beat the mighty Tide with a third string quarterback. The Buckeyes have a young team and a bright future, and maybe Michigan will become relevant again. Good wins by Bucky & Michigan State also.

Sure, a lot of breaks went the Big 10's way. I guess the football gods finally smiled on the midwest for one day. It's about time the Big 10 did something to justify its preferred status.

This was a one-year blip for the SEC. They shall return. And my PAC-12 will continue to get stronger. Still see the Big 10 struggling to be the third strongest conference. Yes, OSU, MSU, and the Vadgers are strong, but there are lot of bottom feeders. Purdue, Indiana, Northwestern, Iowa, Rutgers, Maryland, and Illinois just aren't very good.
Plus, the continuing shift in US population works against the Big 10. Fewer people are living in the Rust Belt.

For the most part, the Big 10 puts on a good show on game day. Impressive attendance. And since most member institutions are huge state schools, they'll always have a reliable fan base. The Big 10 won't disappear, but I don't see it ever recapturing its past glory.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2015, 01:31:15 PM »
Sure, a lot of breaks went the Big 10's way. I guess the football gods finally smiled on the midwest for one day. It's about time the Big 10 did something to justify its preferred status.

What do you mean by preferred status?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2015, 01:37:53 PM »

This was a one-year blip for the SEC. They shall return. And my PAC-12 will continue to get stronger. Still see the Big 10 struggling to be the third strongest conference. Yes, OSU, MSU, and the Vadgers are strong, but there are lot of bottom feeders. Purdue, Indiana, Northwestern, Iowa, Rutgers, Maryland, and Illinois just aren't very good.
Plus, the continuing shift in US population works against the Big 10. Fewer people are living in the Rust Belt.

For the most part, the Big 10 puts on a good show on game day. Impressive attendance. And since most member institutions are huge state schools, they'll always have a reliable fan base. The Big 10 won't disappear, but I don't see it ever recapturing its past glory.

I agree with most of what you are saying about the B10, EXCEPT the bolded isn't as much of a problem as you think.  More people live north of the Ohio River than south of it - the median center of the US population is in southwest Indiana.  The Big Ten has huge population centers - larger than the SEC.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2015, 01:59:53 PM »
What do you mean by preferred status?

I mean, because the Big 10 is a conference that travels well and generates ratings, it is given every benefit of the doubt when it comes to weekly rankings and bowl selections.

As I said before, we all know the NCAA is all about generating dollars...and the Big 10 can do that.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2015, 02:07:50 PM »

I agree with most of what you are saying about the B10, EXCEPT the bolded isn't as much of a problem as you think.  More people live north of the Ohio River than south of it - the median center of the US population is in southwest Indiana.  The Big Ten has huge population centers - larger than the SEC.

You make a good point. I was basing my comment on a list of the fastest growing states...and South Carolina, Florida, Texas, and Georgia were up near the top (as were Utah, Arizona, Colorado, and Washington out in PAC-12 territory).

warriorbill

• Walk-On
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2015, 02:24:07 PM »

I also don't think this is a one year blip for the Big 10. Ohio State is young and getting better and Harbaugh will have Michigan back and relevant again. 

warriorbill

• Walk-On
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2015, 02:32:21 PM »
I mean, because the Big 10 is a conference that travels well and generates ratings, it is given every benefit of the doubt when it comes to weekly rankings and bowl selections.

As I said before, we all know the NCAA is all about generating dollars...and the Big 10 can do that.

If you want to talk about "preferred status" how about a lot of the SEC teams having so many of the bowl games near or in their stadiums and in their climate. I'd love to see LSU or Florida try playing at Soldier Field in December or January.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2015, 02:35:34 PM »
I also don't think this is a one year blip for the Big 10. Ohio State is young and getting better and Harbaugh will have Michigan back and relevant again.  

Perhaps. But I believe Harbaugh will not be at UM for long. His ego will not allow him to remain out the the biggest show (the NFL). He's not a schmoozer at all...and he'll need to be to deal with UM's endless alums and big money boosters.  Harbaugh needs to work a room and that is not his thing. Yes, I know Harbaugh coached at USD and Stanford, but those two schools are so casual and laid back about football, that almost doesn't count. Every citizen in Michigan thinks they know better...so he'll be endlessly second guessed. Just my hunch...he's back in the NFL in four years.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 02:40:31 PM by Groin_pull »

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2015, 02:37:38 PM »
If you want to talk about "preferred status" how about a lot of the SEC teams having so many of the bowl games near or in their stadiums and in their climate. I'd love to see LSU or Florida try playing at Soldier Field in December or January.

Hahahahaha. Don't blame the SEC because it's located in a part of the country that's desirable in January.

warriorbill

• Walk-On
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2015, 02:47:34 PM »
Hahahahaha. Don't blame the SEC because it's located in a part of the country that's desirable in January.

I don't blame them, but clearly preferred status.

feedback