[June 11, 2024, 10:23:42 PM]

Hurley staying! by NCMUFan
[June 11, 2024, 04:46:28 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[June 11, 2024, 04:22:26 PM]

2024 Scoop Art Competition by Skatastrophy
[June 11, 2024, 09:53:42 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Nick Noskowiak Drops 29 Points @ Tournament Of Champions  (Read 24227 times)

NersEllenson

• All American
Re: Nick Noskowiak Drops 29 Points @ Tournament Of Champions
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2014, 06:59:55 PM »
I've seen Nick play several times.

Against high school players..   ::)

He's gotta cover his butt for several thousand posts. None of us know if Dawson will ever transfer or not. But, hey, let's talk about it anyway (at least according to Ners). At this point, there is no one on the board with LESS credibility.

Exaggerate much?

And yea, my bad on the credibility issue saying in late November last year we didn't have a chance at the NCAA if Buzz didn't change things up...and that we didn't stand a chance at winning playing 4-5, with the missing offensive player being the PG.

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2014, 08:02:08 PM »
Against high school players..   ::)

News flash, he is in high school.  Who would you expect him to be playing against?  I think the Bulls schedule is pretty filled up. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2014, 08:27:15 PM »
Seriously Ners, can't you keep your Dawson crap in the threads about Dawson?

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2014, 09:48:21 PM »
News flash, he is in high school.  Who would you expect him to be playing against?  I think the Bulls schedule is pretty filled up. 

New flash - Brandx made judgements of one player, playing against Big East competition, and the other...well..playing against high school players.  Not that hard to follow, but then again, I should know better considering..it's you.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2014, 10:16:57 PM »

Nevermind.  No need to give you more attention and give you more reasons to spew insanity.  
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 10:22:47 PM by buckchuckler »

brandx

« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2014, 11:42:00 PM »
New flash - Brandx made judgements of one player, playing against Big East competition, and the other...well..playing against high school players.  Not that hard to follow, but then again, I should know better considering..it's you.

Well, my judgement matches what the scouts said. Nick is a 4-star. Dawson a 2-star. And Nick played very well over the summer against quite a few guys who will be in the NBA - and the scouts that watched him go against those players still rated him as a 4-star.

Go back to coaching your 4th grade girls team. We discuss real BB here.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2014, 11:44:56 PM »
Nevermind.  No need to give you more attention and give you more reasons to spew insanity.  

Too bad, that was a great retort  8-)
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2014, 12:20:44 AM »

...after you brought up Wojo "encouraging Dawson to transfer" in a thread about Noskowiak.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2014, 07:10:49 AM »
Too bad, that was a great retort  8-)

Haha.  Well thank you.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2014, 07:46:59 AM »
Well, my judgement matches what the scouts said. Nick is a 4-star. Dawson a 2-star. And Nick played very well over the summer against quite a few guys who will be in the NBA - and the scouts that watched him go against those players still rated him as a 4-star.

Go back to coaching your 4th grade girls team. We discuss real BB here.

Okay tough guy.  And Jamail Jones was a 4-star.  Erik Williams a 4 star.  Jae Crowder a 2-star, Davante Gardner a 2-star.  John Dawson a 3-star btw.  Newflash - those guys get it wrong sometimes too - and I'm not saying they are wrong about Nick - but when dealing with Top 75-200 players it is a lot more dicey than pegging the Top 30 or even Top 50.

It's amazing - I like Nick as a prospect - just given his Top 100 status alone.  I haven't ever seen the kid play.  Made an observation off of looking at his highlight video (where every player looks like a star...because...it's a freaking highlight video).  He looks like a fundamentally sound player, with a nice shot and good feel for the game.  Yet until I see the guy do it at the college level, it's hard for me to say he's 100 times better player/prospect than one of our current players.  

I'll see what I can do to up my game to "discuss real BB" here.  Hopefully I can just get close to your level of genius.  What was your pre-season prediction for this MU team, btw?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2014, 09:12:34 AM »
Okay tough guy.  And Jamail Jones was a 4-star.  Erik Williams a 4 star.  Jae Crowder a 2-star, Davante Gardner a 2-star.  John Dawson a 3-star btw.  Newflash - those guys get it wrong sometimes too - and I'm not saying they are wrong about Nick - but when dealing with Top 75-200 players it is a lot more dicey than pegging the Top 30 or even Top 50.

It's amazing - I like Nick as a prospect - just given his Top 100 status alone.  I haven't ever seen the kid play.  Made an observation off of looking at his highlight video (where every player looks like a star...because...it's a freaking highlight video).  He looks like a fundamentally sound player, with a nice shot and good feel for the game.  Yet until I see the guy do it at the college level, it's hard for me to say he's 100 times better player/prospect than one of our current players.

Let's get something straight.

YOU were the one who (yet again) brought up Dawson.  YOU were the one who (yet again) brought up the "encouraging transfer" theory.

Don't blame everyone else for comparing the two and saying you are full of it.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2014, 09:16:31 AM »

YOU were the one who (yet again) brought up Dawson.  YOU were the one who (yet again) brought up the "encouraging transfer" theory.

Wait,

Ners likes Dawson and wants him to play more??  The hell you say. Next you are go to tell me he thinks Derrick Wilson is a drag on the team and can’t shoot.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2014, 09:31:02 AM »

I'm saying it is ridiculous to suggest a kid is 100x the prospect of a current member of the MU team (that you've only seen play at the high major level), based on watching that kid play against high school competition.

Every high major player looks like a total star at the high school level - then they get to high major ball, and can look VERY pedestrian/non-descript.

Get off your whole hate woody about anytime I make a Dawson mention -  Jesus.  It was an honest assessment of Nick's game based on watching a freaking highlight video.  He strikes me as a similar player to John (who I obviously like a lot - which in turn means I like what I see with Nick N.) 

That said, I think what Wojo probably wants/feels he needs most for next season is a burner at PG - someone ultra-quick, as he seems to thing Duane is best off the ball.

My take - he should be grooming Duane for the PG slot right now, and turn that position over to him next season, as he is the quickest of the guards.  Watching how this team plays as it is, just because you are a primary ball handler, doesn't mean you don't get to operate off the ball a fair amount.

If Duane is going to play at the next level, it's as a PG, not a 2 guard in the NBA - so best for his future development to play as much PG as possible, and think he'd be great at that position.  Then next year Wojo can have any of Nick, Dawson, Cheatham, Cohen, JJJ to run alongside Duane...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2014, 09:52:51 AM »

My take - he should be grooming Duane for the PG slot right now, and turn that position over to him next season, as he is the quickest of the guards.  Watching how this team plays as it is, just because you are a primary ball handler, doesn't mean you don't get to operate off the ball a fair amount.

If Duane is going to play at the next level, it's as a PG, not a 2 guard in the NBA - so best for his future development to play as much PG as possible, and think he'd be great at that position.  Then next year Wojo can have any of Nick, Dawson, Cheatham, Cohen, JJJ to run alongside Duane...

I don't think it really is Wojo's job to prepare Duane for the NBA. It is his job to put each player in the best role for Marquette to succeed, both in the present and the future. For example, Buzz needed Jimmy at power forward (and even center occasionally) for Marquette to win; it was Jimmy's all-around improvement that led him to the NBA -- and eventually to being one of the better 2G in the league.

The NBA will hire Duane if they think he is good enough, just as they hired Wes,  Lazar, Jimmy, Jae and, eventually, even Buycks. And they'll reject him if 30 GMs don't think he is good enough, just as they rejected Vander, McNeal, Jamil, etc.

By putting Duane in the best position for him and the team to succeed -- which is a coach's job with every player -- Wojo will make Duane a plenty attractive NBA candidate as long as Duane does what he's supposed to do.

Otherwise, I happen to agree with Ners here. I would like the ball in Duane's hands some more because I think that would benefit this team both this season and beyond.

Playing in the heat of the action will help Duane become a better PG. It also will help Wojo learn if Duane should be a PG or a 2G, long-term. If Duane really takes off at the position, and with NN coming in, it can alleviate some of the pressure Wojo might feel to bring in another PG. If Duane struggles more than expected, it can reinforce in Wojo's mind that he needs a true PG.

That doesn't mean Duane has to play 30-35 minutes at PG. We have seen that Carlino and Derrick have value, as do JJJ and to a lesser extent Cohen.

If Duane plays 30 minutes and 15-20 are at PG, it could have the quadruple benefit of helping Duane progress as a PG, helping Wojo evaluate Duane's PG play, helping the team now and helping the team in the future.

Wojo has used Duane some at PG. I'd like to see more, and obviously so would Ners. And I'm guessing a few others would, too.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brandx

« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2014, 03:32:58 PM »
I'm saying it is ridiculous to suggest a kid is 100x the prospect of a current member of the MU team (that you've only seen play at the high major level), based on watching that kid play against high school competition.

Every high major player looks like a total star at the high school level - then they get to high major ball, and can look VERY pedestrian/non-descript.

Get off your whole hate woody about anytime I make a Dawson mention -  Jesus.  It was an honest assessment of Nick's game based on watching a freaking highlight video.  He strikes me as a similar player to John (who I obviously like a lot - which in turn means I like what I see with Nick N.) 

That said, I think what Wojo probably wants/feels he needs most for next season is a burner at PG - someone ultra-quick, as he seems to thing Duane is best off the ball.

1. "100x" - it's always easier to argue with someone when you make things up to argue with.

2. Wojo thinks Duane is best off the ball? Maybe he just thinks that 2 other guards who have been playing for 3 years are better suited for the position than a freshman  who has only played a handful of games. And as a person with a great coaching mind, you should be able to see that Duane spends part of his time running the offense. And Duane is the definition of ultra-quick. (But he probably looks similar to Dawson to you.)

3. Like Duane, Nick is a PG who may also play some '2' guard.

4. A psychiatrist could have a field day with your reference to me as a "tough guy". My feeling is that if you think of me as tough, then it justifies your illusion of yourself as a man because you are standing up to a "tough guy".

Maybe you can start a new thread about Derrick or John to discuss this more ::)

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2014, 04:24:27 PM »
1. "100x" - it's always easier to argue with someone when you make things up to argue with.

2. Wojo thinks Duane is best off the ball? Maybe he just thinks that 2 other guards who have been playing for 3 years are better suited for the position than a freshman  who has only played a handful of games. And as a person with a great coaching mind, you should be able to see that Duane spends part of his time running the offense. And Duane is the definition of ultra-quick. (But he probably looks similar to Dawson to you.)

3. Like Duane, Nick is a PG who may also play some '2' guard.

4. A psychiatrist could have a field day with your reference to me as a "tough guy". My feeling is that if you think of me as tough, then it justifies your illusion of yourself as a man because you are standing up to a "tough guy".

Maybe you can start a new thread about Derrick or John to discuss this more ::)

1) Huh?  4ever made the 100x comment, which you chose to quote and tack on - Nick is a better shooter, dribbler, passer than Dawson.  

(I pointed out that you make that assessment having watched Nick play against High School players, and Dawson against High Major players.)  But feel free to think what you see of a High Major recruit playing against high school kids is the same as what it's going to be against High Major players.  A high major recruit, as I'm sure you know, looks like a man among boys playing at the high school level.

2) Duh.  Yes, Duane gets time with the ball in his hands as do Carlino and Derrick - And yes, I see Duane as ultra quick - which is why I suggested and want for him to be full time PG as I feel he could handle that position quite well this year, and looking to next year's roster there doesn't appear to be a pure point guard on the roster.  Wojo through his comments has said he sees him as a combo guard and but likes him at the 2.

3) Unlike Duane, Nick is not ultra quick - which is something I prefer a PG possess.  Again, why I see Nick N as more of a 2, much like Dawson who isn't ultra quick either.  Cohen isn't ever going to be a PG.  Nor will Cheatham.  All those guys can handle the ball and play guard slots, but it's best if they are paired with a very quick PG/Combo Guard - Duane is clearly that guy.

4) Clearly you don't detect sarcasm well.  I don't think you are a tough guy whatsoever.  

5) Generally I feel you make good basketball related points and have a good understanding of the game.  In this thread I simply disagreed that to assess a player at the high school level being MUCH better than a guy you've only seen play at the high major level is a slippery slope at best.

6) Lastly, do you not feel with Duane, Nick, Cohen, Cheatham and Dawson next season - our backcourt will be quite cluttered with 4 of the 5 being best suited to play the 2 or perhaps 3?  Is it beyond crazy to think Wojo might want to diversify that guard mix and "trade out" one of those guys for a pure PG?

7) Not surprised to see you had no comment for the 4 star ratings of Jamail, Erik Williams, while Gardner and Crowder were considered 2 stars...sometimes Scouts get it wrong too.  (And I'm not saying that is the case with Nick - I'm saying it is foolish to assess a player's ability when watching him play against high school kids, compared to the other whom you've only see play against high major players.)

mubb34

• Team Captain
« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2014, 09:58:16 PM »
Nick N dropped 44 tonight with EIGHT threes ladies and gents. The future is bright!

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2014, 10:07:01 PM »
Mark Miller @WisBBYearbook  ·  4m 4 minutes ago
Nick Noskowiak of Sun Prairie went 9 of 14 from three-point range tonight in 71-63 win over Beloit Memorial.

Mark Miller @WisBBYearbook  ·  13m 13 minutes ago
Marquette recruit Nick Noskowiak with 44 points tonight to help Sun Prairie turn back host Beloit Memorial 71-63.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2014, 10:10:36 PM »
Nick N dropped 44 tonight with EIGHT NINE threes ladies and gents. The future is bright!

FIFY

Future is definitely bright!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.