[Today at 09:53:42 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[June 10, 2024, 10:45:56 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[June 10, 2024, 06:17:14 PM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by Uncle Rico
[June 10, 2024, 05:59:32 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Nick Noskowiak Drops 29 Points @ Tournament Of Champions  (Read 24225 times)

NersEllenson

• All American
Re: Nick Noskowiak Drops 29 Points @ Tournament Of Champions
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2014, 12:16:37 PM »
Wasn't expecting Noskowiak to be more than a backup G in his freshman season. If he keeps up this level of play all season, I may have to alter that expectation. Him and Duane bombing threes together could be a lethal combination

The speed of the college game is so far beyond what we see in that video - it is hard to say if he'll be ready as a freshman to play with all the other guard talent on the team.  He definitely has nice form on his J which is a great foundation to have - yet he doesn't look like the type of athlete that will be ready as a freshman.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2014, 12:25:12 PM »
The speed of the college game is so far beyond what we see in that video - it is hard to say if he'll be ready as a freshman to play with all the other guard talent on the team.  He definitely has nice form on his J which is a great foundation to have - yet he doesn't look like the type of athlete that will be ready as a freshman.

While he certainly isn't the athlete that some of the top college players in the country are, a good feel for the game and a good understanding of the game can make up for this in some situations.  It takes a rare player from the neck up to make up for a lack of prime time athleticism, but some kids can do it.  McDermott is an obvious extreme case, but if you go purely on athletic ability he isn't in the top half of college players last year, yet he was the best player in college basketball.

A recent player from Wisconsin who isn't overly athletic compared to other D1 basketball players but is playing really well to start his career is Riley LaChance.  He's shooting 45% from the field, 37% from 3 point range, and averaging 11.3 points, 2.8 rebounds, and 2.7 assists per game in 31 minutes per game so far.  He might've been the 7th best athlete on the court when they played King in the WIAA playoffs last year, yet he's proving he can be effective at an SEC school as a freshman.  I haven't seen enough of Noskowiak to know for sure, but they do seem to have similar games on the offensive end of the court.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2014, 12:42:45 PM »
While he certainly isn't the athlete that some of the top college players in the country are, a good feel for the game and a good understanding of the game can make up for this in some situations.  It takes a rare player from the neck up to make up for a lack of prime time athleticism, but some kids can do it.  McDermott is an obvious extreme case, but if you go purely on athletic ability he isn't in the top half of college players last year, yet he was the best player in college basketball.

A recent player from Wisconsin who isn't overly athletic compared to other D1 basketball players but is playing really well to start his career is Riley LaChance.  He's shooting 45% from the field, 37% from 3 point range, and averaging 11.3 points, 2.8 rebounds, and 2.7 assists per game in 31 minutes per game so far.  He might've been the 7th best athlete on the court when they played King in the WIAA playoffs last year, yet he's proving he can be effective at an SEC school as a freshman.  I haven't seen enough of Noskowiak to know for sure, but they do seem to have similar games on the offensive end of the court.

I agree - it doesn't take elite athleticism to be effective at high major level.  However, I do feel if you have elite athleticism (or skill for your size - such as Henry E) it greatly increases your chances to be able to play and contribute as a freshman.

I see Nick N as a player very much like Dawson.  (Sorry to bring that up.)  I think your above description describes Dawson quite well too - and it is part of the reason why I feel it isn't beyond crazy to think Wojo sees both Nick and John as very similar players thus creating a logjam at the position, and may be trying to "encourage" a transfer.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2014, 12:57:07 PM »
While he certainly isn't the athlete that some of the top college players in the country are, a good feel for the game and a good understanding of the game can make up for this in some situations.  It takes a rare player from the neck up to make up for a lack of prime time athleticism, but some kids can do it.

It seems like every March, 5-6 of these kids suddenly emerge that we had never heard about. Someone who slipped through the cracks but just has a great feel for the game. The top mid-major players often seem to be these types, guys who space the court well, have good defensive positioning, can shoot the lights out, and you know could play at a high-major level but never got the chance because they just don't fit the "mold".

I think the old staff prioritized athleticism and the ability to make highlight-reel plays over the more cerebral, feel-for-the-game players that might not jump out at you on film. Hence why we were never in on a kid like LaChance.

It seems like that focus is changing. I found it interesting that Wojo was so quick to lock up Cohen and Noskowiak, while immediately going hard after Heldt and Henry, but didn't seem to have much interest in other Buzz recruits like Pierce, Shayok, and Hill. Not saying those guys can't play, but maybe Wojo's talk about a cultural change also mean the way players read the game.

Someone else mentioned that our new staff probably wouldn't have recruited everyone on the current roster. I am confident that assessment is correct.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2014, 12:59:29 PM »
Y'all are talkin' outta the wrong orifice. Nick has 100x more basketball skill than Dawson.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 01:14:10 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2014, 01:09:16 PM »
Of course, MU had a pretty good veteran (senior) point guard in place when Diener arrived. That won't be the case next year, when Wojo's options at the point will be Du. Wilson - who so far seems more of a swing player than a one - John Dawson and Noskowiak. In fact, I think Nick's best chance for significant PT has to be at the point because Wojo will have so many options at the 2/3, i.e. Duane, JJJ, Cheatham, Sandy, Wally, Deonte, and not so many at the 1.

As we've seen this season, Wojo is not beholden to the traditional "He's the 1, he's the 2, he's the 3" that some coaches are. And that could be even more the case next season.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2014, 01:11:11 PM »
Y'all are talkin' outta the wrong oriface. Nick has 100x more basketball skill than Dawson.

My bad.  I assume your assessment on Dawson comes from his time at MU last season, playing against D-1 players, while watching Nick play against Wisconsin high school kids/some AAU ball?  Hard to project in my opinion...I've never seen Nick play live - just looking at his highlight clips - he seems like a good prospect, good feel for the game, not an elite athlete, which is the way I see Dawson.  I'll say nothing more on the matter as I don't want to get 20% of this board up in arms.   ;D

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2014, 01:19:41 PM »
As we've seen this season, Wojo is not beholden to the traditional "He's the 1, he's the 2, he's the 3" that some coaches are. And that could be even more the case next season.

I'm not sure I agree. I think Wojo's willingness to stick with Derrick Wilson despite his shooting deficiencies shows me he puts a premium on having guy on the floor who's primary responsibility is that of a ball-handler and facilitator, i.e. a traditional 1.

Either way, though, I think seven games with a roster not of his making probably doesn't tell us a whole lot about Wojo's preferred approach to the game and lineups. We really won't have too much of an idea about such things until years 2-3 of his tenure.

brandx

« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2014, 01:23:49 PM »
Y'all are talkin' outta the wrong orifice. Nick has 100x more basketball skill than Dawson.

I see absolutely no comparison, Nick is a better shooter, ball handler, passer, and has a better awareness of the game.

But, yeah..... other than that they are completely similar.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2014, 01:25:44 PM »
My bad.  I assume your assessment on Dawson comes from his time at MU last season, playing against D-1 players, while watching Nick play against Wisconsin high school kids/some AAU ball?  Hard to project in my opinion...I've never seen Nick play live - just looking at his highlight clips - he seems like a good prospect, good feel for the game, not an elite athlete, which is the way I see Dawson.  I'll say nothing more on the matter as I don't want to get 20% of this board up in arms.   ;D

I don't think it really matters much whether he's an elite athlete. There have been too many to count great college point guards who lacked elite athleticism ... including #1 and #3 on MU's all-time assist leaders list, and the current head coach.
That seems to indicate that elite athleticism is far down the list of prerequisites for success as a college 1.

Anyhow, this whole conversation reminds me of way back when the esteemed Murffeius (sp.?) declared Travis Diener a "dime-a-dozen" point guard after seeing some highlight video and determining he lacked the elite athleticism needed to be a difference maker in college.

humanlung

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2014, 02:36:17 PM »
nm

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2014, 02:50:08 PM »
Don't give a sh*t how athletic he looks in a YouTube video. I've watched a couple of his games and the kid is a player. Crafty off the bounce, and is an above average outside shooter. He'll get quicker when Todd Smith gets him.

Whoever said that he might play similar minutes to TD as a freshman was spot on. He'll back up both guard spots and be a shooter off the bench. Maybe more if he defends well.

illiniwarriors

• Walk-On
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2014, 02:59:56 PM »
Did anyone watch Spike Albrecht in the Michigan game last night?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2014, 03:06:24 PM »
Did anyone watch Spike Albrecht in the Michigan game last night?

Yes great game Cuse essentially handed it to Michigan at the end though.
Maigh Eo for Sam

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2014, 05:11:42 PM »
I see absolutely no comparison, Nick is a better shooter, ball handler, passer, and has a better awareness of the game.

But, yeah..... other than that they are completely similar.

LOL - In a HIGH SCHOOL highlight video where every shot goes in and good play is highlighted.  Okay.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2014, 05:19:25 PM »

Magic Noskowiak???

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2014, 05:31:51 PM »
Don't give a sh*t how athletic he looks in a YouTube video. I've watched a couple of his games and the kid is a player. Crafty off the bounce, and is an above average outside shooter. He'll get quicker when Todd Smith gets him.

Whoever said that he might play similar minutes to TD as a freshman was spot on. He'll back up both guard spots and be a shooter off the bench. Maybe more if he defends well.
I am in agreement with your assessment, and want to reinforce the notion that when he gets to working with Todd Smith and Company he will gain speed.  The Thing I like the most about Nick is he has shown continuous upward improvement. That is a very good indication that he has a high ceiling. Most importantly not much is going to be expected from him as a freshman so he can continue to improve at a comfortable rate.

Nick is a gym rat. I saw Chris Mullin play in high school and no one ever cared if he was an elite athlete or not. He just had a head for the game. His team mate Mark Jackson was the same way.  Haanif and Nick could be a modern day version of those two.

Big Daddy 84

• Team Captain
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2014, 05:34:05 PM »

I see Nick N as a player very much like Dawson.  (Sorry to bring that up.)  I think your above description describes Dawson quite well too - and it is part of the reason why I feel it isn't beyond crazy to think Wojo sees both Nick and John as very similar players thus creating a logjam at the position, and may be trying to "encourage" a transfer.

Ners where did you get that Wojo is encouraging JD to transfer?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2014, 05:42:44 PM »

Justification for why Dawson isn't playing to start the season. Because there's no chance that Wojo thinks Derrick is better than Dawson. Only explanation is that Wojo thinks Nick and Dawson are the same kind of player and wants to use Dawson's scholarship on a more athletic PG.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2014, 05:52:15 PM »

From watching Buzz handle Jamal Ferguson. Jamail Jones.  Steve Taylor.  JJJ.  Buzz knew he had Shayok and Hill in the wings and could plug/play them in place of Steve and JJJ if need be - then again not sure Buzz cared a whole lot by February 1.

From seeing the other young guards be wildly inconsistent (other than Duane the last 3 games), yet still logging time.  Seeing Cohen and JJJ having more length/perceived upside.  Dawson not being a prototypical PG.  4 minutes of PT thus far on a team with little depth.

Is Wojo Buzz?  Obviously not.  But, to think Dawson got more run during Big East play last season than he is getting this season is quite peculiar to say the least, no?

Do you feel "encouraged transfers" take place, though not always verbally expressed?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2014, 06:05:31 PM »
From watching Buzz handle Jamal Ferguson. Jamail Jones.  Steve Taylor.  JJJ.  Buzz knew he had Shayok and Hill in the wings and could plug/play them in place of Steve and JJJ if need be

Jamal Ferguson had to transfer to a MEAC school to get playing time. Jamail Jones had to transfer to the Atlantic Sun to find playing time. They didn't play because they weren't good enough. Taylor and JJJ I have heard clashed with Buzz. Some I have talked to blame Buzz, some blame the players. Its probably a little bit of both. Plus, we have seen proof of major lapses in both of their games this season. It stands to reason that those lapses were there last season and were even worse.

then again not sure Buzz cared a whole lot by February 1.

Cared very much. Was desperately trying to win so he could either demand more from Marquette or bolt.

But, to think Dawson got more run during Big East play last season than he is getting this season is quite peculiar to say the least, no?

Not really. Last season we only had two guys who could play the PG position. This season we have four. Dawson appears to be the worst of the four. We also have four players who can play the SG position, Dawson appears to be the worst of the four there as well. Plus, Dawson got playing time in the only game where we ever had a comfortable lead. The other games were close and required our best players. I bet we will see him during the stretch of cupcakes after the ASU game.

Do you feel "encouraged transfers" take place, though not always verbally expressed?

Yes but not in the way you are shaping it. I think there is a big difference between "encouraging a transfer" by nailing a kid to the bench for no other reason and being honest with the kid and saying "unless you make massive improvements, you will not earn playing time on this team. If playing time is your priority, you may want to look at transferring to a mid-major."

Is Wojo Buzz?  Obviously not.

This is the key point to me. Wojo has stressed being genuine, open communication, and player relationships. It could be all coach speak, but everything I have heard, everyone I talk to, and talking to CoWojo himself leads me to believe that he is the real deal.

KISS, keep it simple, stupid (using a turn of phrase, not calling you stupid). No conspiracy theories. Just the simple reality that some players aren't good enough to earn playing time.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2014, 06:10:39 PM »
Jamal Ferguson had to transfer to a MEAC school to get playing time. Jamail Jones had to transfer to the Atlantic Sun to find playing time. They didn't play because they weren't good enough. Taylor and JJJ I have heard clashed with Buzz. Some I have talked to blame Buzz, some blame the players. Its probably a little bit of both. Plus, we have seen proof of major lapses in both of their games this season. It stands to reason that those lapses were there last season and were even worse.

Cared very much. Was desperately trying to win so he could either demand more from Marquette or bolt.

Not really. Last season we only had two guys who could play the PG position. This season we have four. Dawson appears to be the worst of the four. We also have four players who can play the SG position, Dawson appears to be the worst of the four there as well. Plus, Dawson got playing time in the only game where we ever had a comfortable lead. The other games were close and required our best players. I bet we will see him during the stretch of cupcakes after the ASU game.

Yes but not in the way you are shaping it. I think there is a big difference between "encouraging a transfer" by nailing a kid to the bench for no other reason and being honest with the kid and saying "unless you make massive improvements, you will not earn playing time on this team. If playing time is your priority, you may want to look at transferring to a mid-major."

This is the key point to me. Wojo has stressed being genuine, open communication, and player relationships. It could be all coach speak, but everything I have heard, everyone I talk to, and talking to CoWojo himself leads me to believe that he is the real deal.

KISS, keep it simple, stupid (using a turn of phrase, not calling you stupid). No conspiracy theories. Just the simple reality that some players aren't good enough to earn playing time.

All fine points you make TAMU.  That said, the best way you alienate a kid is to nail him to the bench.  To not even get a chance when the other guards have all struggled as well - and when you've shown you can produce at this level - if given time.  A very frustrating situation to be in, if you ask me.  Hell Juan had lots of struggles over the course of his career yet Buzz would give him some time.

Perhaps I'm very wrong on Dawson.  Guess we'll find out over the next 4 years one way or another.   :D

MU82

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2014, 06:15:58 PM »
I'm not sure I agree. I think Wojo's willingness to stick with Derrick Wilson despite his shooting deficiencies shows me he puts a premium on having guy on the floor who's primary responsibility is that of a ball-handler and facilitator, i.e. a traditional 1.

Either way, though, I think seven games with a roster not of his making probably doesn't tell us a whole lot about Wojo's preferred approach to the game and lineups. We really won't have too much of an idea about such things until years 2-3 of his tenure.

He does seem to prefer Derrick as the primary ballhandler, true, but there have been lots and lots of times when all three have been in the game and Derrick has not had the ball.

You make a lot of sense with your second paragraph. It is too early to know what Wojo will do when he has "his guys."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brandx

« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2014, 06:20:13 PM »
LOL - In a HIGH SCHOOL highlight video where every shot goes in and good play is highlighted.  Okay.

I've seen Nick play several times.

brandx

« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2014, 06:23:39 PM »
Justification for why Dawson isn't playing to start the season. Because there's no chance that Wojo thinks Derrick is better than Dawson. Only explanation is that Wojo thinks Nick and Dawson are the same kind of player and wants to use Dawson's scholarship on a more athletic PG.

He's gotta cover his butt for several thousand posts. None of us know if Dawson will ever transfer or not. But, hey, let's talk about it anyway (at least according to Ners). At this point, there is no one on the board with LESS credibility.