collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: New Star Wars Trailer - Episode 7 Released Today  (Read 47181 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: New Star Wars Trailer - Episode 7 Released Today
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2014, 10:55:05 AM »
I dont get the JJ Abrams hate. Not a great movie person but LOST was the best TV show I have ever watched. I have hope.

I don't hate Abrams, but I don't trust he will automatically give me a great product. He's done some good stuff, but has also had some stuff that just didn't resonate. Lost is a great example, it started fantastic, lost its way, then came back strong at the end (after they lost most of their audience). Some of his movies have been good, some have been at best questionable, but that's not the case with Whedon.

Buffy & Angel may not be for everyone, but they were fantastic television. Firefly is one of the best shows of the past two decades, but fell victim to horrible marketing. His work with Marvel has been stellar. He's like Bryan Singer, one of those guys I just trust to make a great product every time out.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2014, 11:05:49 AM »
Avengers 2, no question, because Joss Whedon >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> JJ Abrams

Times, like, a thousand. Also, because the MCU has yet to serve a massive let-down. I hate to hold Lucas' failings against Abrams, but it is what it is.

I don't have a negative opinion of JJ Abrams but I do think Joss Whedon is the bomb diggity, Firefly is hands down my favorite sci-fi tv show of all time(with the reimaged BSG 2nd...what is everyone laughing at it was a great show!).  Those two shows are perfect examples of how networks can complete screw everything up and can't get out of their own way.

I don't understand how you can link Lucas' insanity to what Abrams has yet to deliver?  Besides, while I don't like the way I, II, and III turned out, without knowing the result, I would have picked them over Avengers 2.  And keep in mind, the degree of difficulty is harder for Star Wars than MCU.  

MCU has a ton of source material and, yes Joss has to navigate the fanboy-dom of putting nerd easter eggs and telling a cohesive story but the bar isn't that high for the general public.  Star Wars(with the death of EU) is a blank page with MASSIVE expectations especially given the overwrought nature of the internet response to the new trilogy it is insanely more difficult and potentially much more rewarding.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2014, 01:58:09 PM »
I don't get the obsession with Whedon. I mean, I think the films are fine but they're not some stellar untouchable masterpiece as everyone seems to act like they are. Maybe I've been over saturated with the superhero genre and am honestly bored with the concept (how does your world have till problems if Thor, Ironman, Hulk, and Captain America are teamed up?). I also absolutely hated how the Avengers basically asked you to see 14 films before that one in order to get all the characters. That's a lot to ask any movie-goer and they didn't explain a lot to someone who hadn't seen every single one. I remember going "who the hell is this guy?" and "what the hell is this thing" all the time.

On Abrams, I see that he does a great job beginning something and a pretty sketchy track-record for how to close it out (Super 8, LOST, Into Darkness) ...which is why I think giving him #7 is perfect. I hope they use 3 different directors for all 3 a la the OT.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2014, 02:03:42 PM »
I don't get the obsession with Whedon. I mean, I think the films are fine but they're not some stellar untouchable masterpiece as everyone seems to act like they are. Maybe I've been over saturated with the superhero genre and am honestly bored with the concept (how does your world have till problems if Thor, Ironman, Hulk, and Captain America are teamed up?). I also absolutely hated how the Avengers basically asked you to see 14 films before that one in order to get all the characters. That's a lot to ask any movie-goer and they didn't explain a lot to someone who hadn't seen every single one. I remember going "who the hell is this guy?" and "what the hell is this thing" all the time.

On Abrams, I see that he does a great job beginning something and a pretty sketchy track-record for how to close it out (Super 8, LOST, Into Darkness) ...which is why I think giving him #7 is perfect. I hope they use 3 different directors for all 3 a la the OT.

Aughnanure - I think I read somewhere that two other directors are slated for Parts 8 & 9.  I think it was Rolling Stone's recent HOT 2014 list.  Apparently the hot thing for movie studios was signing an indie film director who made an award winning film festival movie (or something) and giving him something bigger to direct.  Mentioned Guardians of the Galaxy and several other movies.  If I can find I'll post. 

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2014, 02:11:20 PM »
Rian Johnson, best known for work on Breaking Bad, is slated to direct Episode VIII.

Good point on Abrams starting strong and fizzling, that unfortunate trait could play to his favor. I look forward to both movies, but I'm far more of a Whedon fanboy, which I freely admit.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2014, 06:19:28 PM »
I don't think Disney/Star Wars/et al care about what y'all think.
#1) You're still going to see it.
#2) You're still going to talk about it until it's release, and probably still after that!

I enjoyed the teaser the second time around. The first time made me jump out of my seat and yell, "THAT'S IT?!" But it was meant for you to WANT more.

#DoneDeal
SS Marquette

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2014, 06:23:01 PM »
You made my day there.  I haven't been following this much as to avoid all of the spoilers and leaked information.  This, however, is a game changer.  It reminded me of a tidbit, I read a few weeks ago.  Anthony Daniels said this film would be better than Empire Strikes Back.  Now that I have connected the dots with the trailer, it does seem quite dark - like sh*t really hits the fan.  If that is the case then I just may have to bring an extra pair of underwear along in December 2015. 

All I can say Aughnanure is that today is YOUR DAY.  Do whatever you want, and if anyone challenges you just say that MDDG is 100% behind you. 

May the Force Be With You

...and with your Midi-chlorians

reinko

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2014, 06:36:36 PM »
Rian Johnson, best known for work on Breaking Bad, is slated to direct Episode VIII.

Good point on Abrams starting strong and fizzling, that unfortunate trait could play to his favor. I look forward to both movies, but I'm far more of a Whedon fanboy, which I freely admit.

Johnson also directed Looper,  which is AWE-some.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2014, 07:08:51 PM »
I'll be honest.  I'm looking forward to quite a few films next year.  Avengers 2 & the Marvel slate, Star Wars, the next James Bond ---- there was a bunch more but I need to look at the list of what else is due in 2015.  My kids are already raving about the Minion Movie.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2014, 09:14:22 AM »
I'll be honest.  I'm looking forward to quite a few films next year.  Avengers 2 & the Marvel slate, Star Wars, the next James Bond ---- there was a bunch more but I need to look at the list of what else is due in 2015.  My kids are already raving about the Minion Movie.

Along with Avengers, Star Wars, and James Bond the following films will also be released in 2015:

Mad Max
Tomorrowland
Jurassic World
Finding Dory
Terminator
Ant-Man
Hunger Games
Pan
Mission Impossible
World of Warcraft (no, really)
Fantastic Four
Peanuts
50 Shades of Grey
Fast and Furious 7

...it's really pretty ridiculous.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

🏀

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2014, 09:15:47 AM »
Along with Avengers, Star Wars, and James Bond the following films will also be released in 2015:

Mad Max
Tomorrowland
Jurassic World
Finding Dory
Terminator
Ant-Man
Hunger Games
Pan
Mission Impossible
World of Warcraft (no, really)
Fantastic Four
Peanuts
50 Shades of Grey
Fast and Furious 7

...it's really pretty ridiculous.

Mad Max is going to be amazeballs.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2014, 09:46:51 AM »
Mad Max is going to be amazeballs.

There was a Mad Max trailer on some DVD the wife and I watched last week.  Action packed for sure. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2014, 09:54:03 AM »
There was a Mad Max trailer on some DVD the wife and I watched last week.  Action packed for sure. 

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/yJnPg2_Y_UI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/yJnPg2_Y_UI</a>

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2014, 12:44:00 PM »
 I know this is going to sound ironic as hell given how much I've been carrying on about a new Star Wars movie....but what the damn hell is up with just constant reboots?  Mad Max, really?  That's something we need to reboot?  Hell, Fast and Furious came out 15 years ago shouldn't we reboot that now instead of having a 7th???? 

Of that list 5 out of 17 are reboots and 7 out of the remaining 12 are sequels and 3 out the remain 5 coming from previously established source material.  Sweet gentle unique baby elephants!  Why can't we come up with new Mad Max type original movies???? 
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2014, 12:55:38 PM »
I know this is going to sound ironic as hell given how much I've been carrying on about a new Star Wars movie....but what the damn hell is up with just constant reboots?  Mad Max, really?  That's something we need to reboot?  Hell, Fast and Furious came out 15 years ago shouldn't we reboot that now instead of having a 7th???? 

Of that list 5 out of 17 are reboots and 7 out of the remaining 12 are sequels and 3 out the remain 5 coming from previously established source material.  Sweet gentle unique baby elephants!  Why can't we come up with new Mad Max type original movies???? 

Isn't the director of the new Mad Max the same as the first three movies?  Is it a re-boot?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2014, 01:00:08 PM »
Isn't the director of the new Mad Max the same as the first three movies?  Is it a re-boot?

Now that I dig a little deeper, I guess it's a sequel...didn't know that.  I semi-retract my previous outrage.  So 4 out of 17 are reboots.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2014, 01:10:30 PM »
Now that I dig a little deeper, I guess it's a sequel...didn't know that.  I semi-retract my previous outrage.  So 4 out of 17 are reboots.

And all except 3 are some sort of sequel/reboot. There's a reason why we're in the golden age of television.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2014, 01:17:55 PM »
And all except 3 are some sort of sequel/reboot. There's a reason why we're in the golden age of television.

Sadly, even television has struggled with the advent of the cheap production costs and high ratings of reality TV. We're lucky for HBO, Showtime, and AMC among others. Very glad for the cable networksx and the new Netflix stuff.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2014, 01:36:34 PM »
Sadly, even television has struggled with the advent of the cheap production costs and high ratings of reality TV. We're lucky for HBO, Showtime, and AMC among others. Very glad for the cable networksx and the new Netflix stuff.

Little off-topic, but Alpha House on Amazon has been a really fun watch.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2014, 01:44:45 PM »
Little off-topic, but Alpha House on Amazon has been a really fun watch.

Been meaning to get Prime. I'll have to check it out.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2014, 01:58:53 PM »
Been meaning to get Prime. I'll have to check it out.

Prime is easily the greatest thing that has happened to me.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2014, 02:20:31 PM »

Have Prime and Netflix but I'm struggling to get everything watched I have on DVR let alone getting to Prime or Netflix.  Haven't watched any of the Prime or Netflix original content.

I suppose I could always drop the podcast, that'd free up some time.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2014, 03:20:38 PM »

I suppose I could always drop the podcast, that'd free up some time.

+1

reinko

• All American
« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2014, 04:31:05 PM »

chapman

• All American
« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2014, 05:05:12 PM »

Truth.

feedback