collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: New Star Wars Trailer - Episode 7 Released Today  (Read 47287 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: New Star Wars Trailer - Episode 7 Released Today
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2014, 08:34:51 AM »
I was really hoping for years they would simply use the Timothy Zahn Thrawn Trilogy. The Grand Admiral was a fantastic villain and that whole storyline was a truly worthy successor to the first three movies. May need to re-read those, they were so damn good. And agreed on those characters not being included. I've always wanted to see Mara Jade introduced on the big screen.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2014, 09:29:16 AM »
I was really hoping for years they would simply use the Timothy Zahn Thrawn Trilogy. The Grand Admiral was a fantastic villain and that whole storyline was a truly worthy successor to the first three movies. May need to re-read those, they were so damn good. And agreed on those characters not being included. I've always wanted to see Mara Jade introduced on the big screen.

Oh god no. They couldn't just go and copy the EU. That's the definition of unimaginative. I like that we have no idea where this could go...unlike the prequels where we all knew the end game.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2014, 10:02:29 AM »
If they were going to do the EU, they needed to do it years and years ago. I knew they wouldn't do it now, but it would have made for fantastic movies if they'd been made mid-1990s, when the primary protagonists were still young enough.

The other problem I have is that it seems likely the new movies will undo the EU. I would be really disappointed if Lucas allowed all this stuff to be licensed and given his stamp of approval only to be undermined 20 years down the line.

I'll be disappointed if there are no EU references. I get that we won't see Thrawn, or Jade, or Talon Karrde, but I really hope they aren't just dismissed as non-existent. Even a whimsical look from Luke while talking about Mara (since Hamill is back) would be good enough.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2014, 02:34:19 PM »
From what I have read/heard, they made the decision to make the EU non-canon simply so the writers/directors wouldn't be forced to go in a certain direction. However, they are taking a lot of inspiration and ideas from the EU for the movies, while allowing creative license to add/remove what they want for the movies.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2014, 02:47:07 PM »
I was hoping for Thrawn as well.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2014, 09:10:22 AM »
I liked Star Wars when I was 12 years old.....

<hides>

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2014, 08:50:25 AM »
It's just a teaser trailer. I wish people would just enjoy it for what it is.
I remember when ep 1 came out (I was at MU) and my roommate at the time said "that's not star wars" and was really pissed off.   
I loved Star Wars growing up too, but all I could think was, why are you so angry?  It's 3 hours of your life.  If you don't like it, don't go see the next one.  And if it ruined your childhood then maybe seeing a therapist is a better use of your money.
I'm looking forward to the next 3 and seeing some of those original characters back on the screen.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2014, 10:55:03 AM »
It's just a teaser trailer. I wish people would just enjoy it for what it is.
I remember when ep 1 came out (I was at MU) and my roommate at the time said "that's not star wars" and was really pissed off.   
I loved Star Wars growing up too, but all I could think was, why are you so angry?  It's 3 hours of your life.  If you don't like it, don't go see the next one.  And if it ruined your childhood then maybe seeing a therapist is a better use of your money.
I'm looking forward to the next 3 and seeing some of those original characters back on the screen.

Interesting question, if I wasn't lazy I'd do a poll, but how do the people feel about the original three coming back?  I'm pretty hesitant about it, I could one or two, but I'm just concerned because I see only two possible paths, the plot revolves around the continuing adventures of the geriatric gang or we kill them early to establish significance and cut ties.

Or maybe JJ Abraham's will just use a time travel McGuffin to handle the ret-conning for him.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2014, 11:14:17 AM »
Interesting question, if I wasn't lazy I'd do a poll, but how do the people feel about the original three coming back?  I'm pretty hesitant about it, I could one or two, but I'm just concerned because I see only two possible paths, the plot revolves around the continuing adventures of the geriatric gang or we kill them early to establish significance and cut ties.

Or maybe JJ Abraham's will just use a time travel McGuffin to handle the ret-conning for him.

I see them as central characters, but more in the background with lesser screen time in higher profile positions in the rebellion while the new characters take the center stage in whatever event is going on and developing them for the next two films in the trilogy of the trilogy.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2014, 11:41:56 AM »
I see them as central characters, but more in the background with lesser screen time in higher profile positions in the rebellion while the new characters take the center stage in whatever event is going on and developing them for the next two films in the trilogy of the trilogy.

This is likely but this still has me concerned....I know it's against a Galactic Empire, but how many Death Stars do they have to blow up and how many years is this rebellion going to go on?

Not to mention the issue of the new and improved* Episode 6 which at the end they clearly show the Empire on Corasant has fallen.

*actually made considerably worse

The plot line I kind of think it's going to be is that the Alliance has won and become the new central government and the Empire has become the rebellion but is being forced back to the Outer Rim where they "awaken" a Sith colony or something.  Or I know nothing.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2014, 11:53:33 AM »
This is likely but this still has me concerned....I know it's against a Galactic Empire, but how many Death Stars do they have to blow up and how many years is this rebellion going to go on?

Not to mention the issue of the new and improved* Episode 6 which at the end they clearly show the Empire on Corasant has fallen.

The plot line I kind of think it's going to be is that the Alliance has won and become the new central government and the Empire has become the rebellion but is being forced back to the Outer Rim where they "awaken" a Sith colony or something.  Or I know nothing.

We're unfortunately just going to have to wait and see.

Until then, the Avengers 2 arrives May 1.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2014, 12:09:17 PM »

Umm how could you NOT have the original 3? I don't think they'll be the #1 focus (the trailer showed that), but they will be important in setting up the trilogy. I would've been beyond mad if they did this and either recast them or didn't bring them back.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2014, 12:11:59 PM »

God I hate that new ending, but I'd just ignore it. The Empire had thousands of ships across hundreds of systems, so they were definitely not just destroyed after one, albeit significant, battle (which makes that ending so much dumber). I would suspect they both control some wide swaths of the galaxy.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2014, 12:13:40 PM »
We're unfortunately just going to have to wait and see.

Until then, the Avengers 2 arrives May 1.

Let's take this in a different nerd direction....Star Trek, Episode VII, and Avengers 2 come out on the same day, and you can only see one and that is the only one you are ever allowed to see....what is everyone picking?  Feel free to add other sci-fi, comic, nerd movies

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2014, 12:15:52 PM »
Let's take this in a different nerd direction....Star Trek, Episode VII, and Avengers 2 come out on the same day, and you can only see one and that is the only one you are ever allowed to see....what is everyone picking?  Feel free to add other sci-fi, comic, nerd movies

Avengers 2 (partially because my kids would not give my wife and I a choice) and it could possibly be a long afternoon in the theater.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2014, 12:17:41 PM »
Umm how could you NOT have the original 3? I don't think they'll be the #1 focus (the trailer showed that), but they will be important in setting up the trilogy. I would've been beyond mad if they did this and either recast them or didn't bring them back.

Item #3 in Dan Silver's list sums my feelings on this pretty well

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/lightning-round-star-wars-the-force-awakens-trailer/

Those characters were relatively frozen in time with the original trilogy and completely cemented with the EU(which we pretend I didn't spend hundreds of dollars of my parents money on books and RPG addendums).  I'm terrified of how they will be different, because they will be.  I know their "story" better than any other character on any other show/movie/novel and it will be very different and I just don't like it.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2014, 12:19:43 PM »
Avengers 2 (partially because my kids would not give my wife and I a choice) and it could possibly be a long afternoon in the theater.

I think it's risk/reward.  You know Avengers 2 will be good to great.  Episode VII is either going to be amazing/mind altering or it's going to really piss me off...I'd have to go with Star Wars, plus that was always my main geek fix, Marvel Comics was a distant 2nd, I hated DC comics, and Star Trek is 3rd I guess.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2014, 12:22:40 PM »

Star Wars and it's not even close. And Star Wars is still bigger than all of them...even the prequels couldn't kill it.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2014, 12:24:38 PM »
Star Wars and it's not even close. And Star Wars is still bigger than all of them...even the prequels couldn't kill it.

I'm with you.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2014, 12:39:30 PM »

Star Wars is the only one I'd care to see.  Now if we were going with a break-even point of GOT episodes, I'd probably go with a season's worth.  But if I couldn't read the book(s) those episodes covered either, then we're down to about three episodes.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2014, 02:40:09 PM »
Star Wars no question. 
Avengers second and Star Trek third.
As for the original characters, I read somewhere an idea that Luke had become like a hermit and would play more of a Yoda type role.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2014, 02:44:18 PM »
Star Wars no question. 
As for the original characters, I read somewhere an idea that Luke had become like a hermit and would play more of a Yoda type role.

That reminds me, are any of you nerds watching Star Wars Rebels on Disney DX?  It's official canon now and at least they've established that holocron's are a thing....so that would be one way to relaunch the Jedi organization.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2014, 09:22:21 PM »
Star Wars no question.  

Yeah. I mean Star Wars was born on the big screen and is arguably the single biggest movie-going cultural event in history. Star Trek was born on television and the Avengers in comics. Star Wars owns this medium.

Plus, as someone who grew up with the original trilogy this is the movie I have been waiting for my entire life. The prequels were exciting to get, but I always wanted to see Luke and X-Wings and the Millennium Falcon again. I really never thought this was ever going to happen and the fact that it is now coming true is amazing.

On Luke, heard a semi-similar thing. The main group basically has to go on a mission to find him as he hasn't been seen in a long long while. I'm trying reaaallly hard though not to hear any spoilers.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2014, 10:40:08 AM »

Avengers 2, no question, because Joss Whedon >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> JJ Abrams

Times, like, a thousand. Also, because the MCU has yet to serve a massive let-down. I hate to hold Lucas' failings against Abrams, but it is what it is.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2014, 10:48:21 AM »
I dont get the JJ Abrams hate. Not a great movie person but LOST was the best TV show I have ever watched. I have hope.