'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by Viper
[Today at 05:12:57 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 04:49:54 PM]

Banquet by rocky_warrior
[Today at 04:25:47 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 04:10:23 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: UTM Thoughts  (Read 18804 times)

tower912

• All American
UTM Thoughts
« on: November 14, 2014, 10:36:42 PM »
1.  Every win should be celebrated.
2.  Great balance
3.   Fouls and rebounding are going to be an issue all year.
4.  If MU gets 3's from this many players every game, I may have to reconsider their potential.
5.   Sandy belongs.
6.   Love the consistent defensive effort and hustle.
7.   I am not loving the half court offense yet.
8.   I do like them feeding Steve down on the block.
9.   Get well soon, Derrick.  
10.  Carlino, you are a senior.   One guy not playing due to injury,  the whole team in foul trouble, and you pick up your 4th foul arguing about your 3rd foul?!?!?    Dumb.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 10:42:22 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: UTM Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 10:38:28 PM »
It was nice seeing a team play for a coach. 

geps

• Team Captain
  • Double down
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 10:39:50 PM »
What if JJJ would have played like this AT ALL last year?

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 10:41:15 PM »
Guys looked damn good actually.   Like the length combined with the improved shooting.   Our help defense was pretty good too.

We might have something here folks.

brandx

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 10:41:29 PM »
2.  Great balance
4.  If MU gets 3's from this many players every game, I may have to reconsider their potential.
5.   Sandy belongs.
10.  Carlino, you are a senior.   One guy not playing due to injury, one guy not playing, the whole team in foul trouble, and you pick up your 4th foul arguing about your 3rd foul?!?!?    Dumb.

The season isn't official until we get Tower's thoughts ;D

Seriously though, you always do a good job.

rico49

• Walk-On
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 10:44:23 PM »
 Youth...Potential...Energy!  They will be frustrating this year, but you can see a visible energy lacking last year.  Steve t and Juan are hungry.  Fasten your seat belts, fans!

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 10:45:02 PM »
Guys looked damn good actually.   Like the length combined with the improved shooting.   Our help defense was pretty good too.

We might have something here folks.

Don't think we should be surprised if this team finishes close to 20 wins/NCAA berth, some* here who felt we were going to have a disaster of a season.

There's a lot of talent on this club (thanks Buzz), with a coach that will actually coach well and play his best players, and not mindf*ck the crap out of his team.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

brandx

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 10:46:55 PM »
I noticed we didn't have guys coming in for 1 or 2 minute runs at all. Good to see Wojo let the guys work up a sweat when they were on the floor.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2014, 10:50:09 PM »
First positive is no one looked terrible. Everyone had good moments. I also liked feeding steve but wish he would have done more with it. The dish to Cohen for 3 was nice though.

JJJ and Juan, boy do I hope this is a sign of good things this year. I know it was just UTM but I think we can already put this in the loss column for Buzz. How did JJJ get so many DNP's?

Depth and height are still going to be a killer but this team will be pretty fun to watch. Just a shame we have so many "tests" before Luke is available.

As someone mentioned on the game thread. The best part about 9 guys is everyone will contribute. They are all going to get a chance and with only 3 seniors..we will have 7 guys back with EXPIERENCE.

This year is the development year. All big wins are gravy. If we shock everyone and fight for a tourney spot then heck yes. But man we have potential to be dangerous in the coming years.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

brandx

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2014, 10:50:26 PM »
One thing that stood out for me that buzz never ever did.

When MU got the ball with 51 seconds left in the 1st half, they came down and got off a shot within 8 seconds so as to give them 2 possessions for 1. The fact that they gave up an offensive rebound denied the opportunity, but it gave us a look at Wojo's thought process as opposed to what the previous regime did (over and over and over).

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2014, 10:50:56 PM »
I noticed we didn't have guys coming in for 1 or 2 minute runs at all. Good to see Wojo let the guys work up a sweat when they were on the floor.

Tough to play in short stints when you have foul trouble, 9 guys dressed, 1 injured.    The remaining guys have to play and try not to foul out.  
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brandx

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2014, 10:51:41 PM »
Tough to play in short stints when you have foul trouble, 9 guys dressed, 1 injured.    The remaining guys have to play and try not to foul out.  

True, but it was the same in the 1st half.

noblewarrior

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2014, 10:54:09 PM »
I think Deonte sat most of  the 2nd half due to his lack of discipline on the offensive end (though he still looks like he can score at will and missed some chippies) and his disinterest in rebounding on the D boards.   Work in progress.  

Edit..  Sorry, guess he had foul trouble...
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 11:05:36 PM by noblewarrior »

rico49

• Walk-On
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2014, 10:54:47 PM »
After Tommy "I'm" Terrific and Buzz "Mind Games" Williams it is a pleasure to see a coach who COACHES HIS KIDS on the sidelines and is not the SHOW.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2014, 11:02:34 PM »
2.  Great balance
5.   Sandy belongs.
10.  Carlino, you are a senior.   One guy not playing due to injury,  the whole team in foul trouble, and you pick up your 4th foul arguing about your 3rd foul?!?!?    Dumb.

11.  Loved all the non-scoring stats from JJJ
12. Juan has shown flashed in non-conf before; this definitely looks different, but I won't get too excited until we see it against better competition
13.  Come on Deonte, we need you in the game, not sitting with 4 fouls
14.  Sandy much better than expected
15. Steve with an OK game, I think he can do better
16. Duane looked MUCH better than during the exhibition.  Still a bit raw but looking promising with only 4 halves under his belt.
17.  Derrick, we need you to make free throws at least
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2014, 11:21:07 PM »
JJJ is a special player. He is going to have a big year. Team chemistry is good. We are making things happen on defense again. We need more discipline on fouls. With 9 guys we can't afford foul trouble. Having multiple 3 point threats makes the game a lot easier on the eyes.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2014, 11:26:36 PM »
JJJ is a special player. He is going to have a big year. Team chemistry is good. We are making things happen on defense again. We need more discipline on fouls. With 9 guys we can't afford foul trouble. Having multiple 3 point threats makes the game a lot easier on the eyes.

Agree.

Also think the coaching this year will be infinitely better than what Buzz gave us last year.  Having guards who can actually shoot the ball from all spots on the floor made this game a lot easier on the eyes.

But....it is only TN Martin....but the team has a lot of potential and I suspect will have very good chemistry going forward unlike last year's mess.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

warriorstrack

• All American
  • Keep the wallet in the pocket
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2014, 11:46:55 PM »
Agreed

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2014, 11:54:05 PM »
1. Need to work on lazy passes?turnovers
2. Defnese looked a little sloppy.
3. Finishing
4. At  times guys looked a bit lost on offence, but that wont be a problem with some experience.
4.Get Luke out there ASAP, We need some SIZE!

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2014, 12:10:13 AM »
Sandy looked good on D. It seemeed like freshmen in previous years have been "lost", but that may have been the system.

I liked the energy, but with a short bench it seems like it is going to be hard to sustain?
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2014, 12:41:07 AM »
1.  Looking for a rotation.
2.  Less end to end pressing.
3.  UTM better than RPI
4.  MU will be abused inside against better teams until Fischer gets back.
5.  Duane with more time at point and looked good.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2014, 01:20:13 AM »
Rebounding and fouls are issues.. Some break downs on defense. But overall,  I think a pretty nice performance with lots of contributors.  Higher energy, decent ball movement. Good coaching the kids up as subs came out, and Wojo was animated on the sidelines. I like.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2014, 01:35:42 AM »
The season isn't official until we get Tower's thoughts ;D

Seriously though, you always do a good job.

Concur. There is something about those lists that says MU post game wrap. Similar to what Keith Jackson was to college football

Death on call

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2014, 06:38:35 AM »
1.  Looking for a rotation.
2.  Less end to end pressing.
3.  UTM better than RPI
4.  MU will be abused inside against better teams until Fischer gets back.
5.  Duane with more time at point and looked good.
Agree with most of this, except UTM is not good.
Du. Wilson is definitely a versatile Guard. He can handle the Point, and is probably the quickest guy on the team. If Derrick gets more than 5-8 minutes, something is not right.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.