[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: UTM Thoughts  (Read 18806 times)

brandx

Re: UTM Thoughts
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2014, 11:25:23 AM »
The things I took from the game:

1. If we really can shoot 3s like this, we will be in most games and could steal a win or two from better, deeper, taller teams.

2. Easy baskets on steals/fastbreaks? Welcome back ... we missed you!

3. Juan was so much more in control. He still showed great energy but he wasn't the same spastic pinball he had been his first three years.

4. Wow, I'm hoping that was really Jajuan's game. Very impressed by his offensive efficiency and his defense.

5. Sandy Cohen was much better than advertised. It will be interesting to see how that develops.

6. Dawson clearly is the 9th man, light years behind Cohen, and will be the 10th man when Luke starts playing.

7. I don't wish injuries on anybody, but Derrick being limited did let Duane get a nice run at PG. I thought Duane looked very comfortable there but he did play bouncy-ball a little too much. I couldn't get over how skinny his arms were!

8. Must get better, smarter play from Carlino and, especially, Burton.

9. We will have trouble -- probably serious trouble -- in the rebounding, interior defense and foul realms against some of the teams on our schedule. Although that will be the case even after Luke starts playing, the Ohio State, Wiscy and Orlando tourney games could be especially ugly.

10. It was only one game against a cupcake, but I am more excited about 2015-16 (and beyond) than ever, and I think this season's team will be both fun and frustrating. Here's hoping folks don't get too bent out of shape as we go through the inevitable growing pains.

Scoopers getting bent out of shape about anything? What am I thinking?

You're no Tower when it comes to analysis (sorry, gotta keep our "feud" going).

Agree with all the points except, I though Duane looked better at SG than PG. As you said, he played bouncy-ball a little too much. But he will learn, I'm sure he was able to do that at will in HS because of his quickness.

I also liked that we have a lot of options to score. There will probably be 7 or 8 different guys who will be the leading scorer in games this year.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2014, 11:25:58 AM »
Video from tonight:

Juan Postgame: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D4-9WFf3Kk&list=UUjbANOIkx9gio5f24p4yeEg

Wojo Postgame: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okPOOl3er5o&index=1&list=UUjbANOIkx9gio5f24p4yeEg

Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_AhtLbCT-g&list=UUjbANOIkx9gio5f24p4yeEg&index=2

Enjoyed listening to Juan's postgame, especially the answer to the question on leadership.  I'll be rooting for him this year as it sounds like he's persevered through some tough times.  

I also found his comments on JJJ interesting in terms of how not knowing if you are going to get consistent minutes can have a huge impact on your performance (obviously) as well as Wojo encouraging the team to shoot the ball when open without having to worry about coming out of the game.  I don't want this to devolve into a conversation about Buzz but it's hard not to see the connection.

Overall I was satisfied with how the team looked.  As most have mentioned, there will be some rough patches this year, especially with our lack of size until Luke is eligible.  All I want to see is continued progress of the guys that can be huge factors over the next couple of years (JJJ, Burton, Duane, Cohen, STJ, Luke).  I don't expect a tourney appearance but if we can improve enough throughout the season to at least be a threat to win the conference tourney in March that would qualify as a successful season, IMO.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2014, 11:28:24 AM »
Students were quite good.  They usually are for opening night.  It's always invigorating to see excited Freshmen at their first college hoops game.  As for the season ticket holders, I understand that you might not show the same enthusiasm.  But there were far too many empty seats in the lower bowl for my taste, especially for a Friday night.  I believe the announced attendance was around 12.9K.  I'd personally guess 10K in the building.

Bingo. Lots of empty money seats. Granted, it may be a little late for some of us Vestables, but some of us still make the drive up from Chicago and back.

While I am a bit restricted in my swearing, standing, boisterous chanting due to young ears around me, I am still able to get out of my seat once is a while.  That said, I am of the mind that the students should own certain aspects of the event, and I am glad they have been unbridled a bit from the Thought Police.  They were having a lot of fun last night, and they weren't too oiled.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2014, 06:57:46 PM »
I liked not hearing the words "Paint Touch" for the entire game.
I liked not seeing random excursions into the paint to get a "paint touch" but not a basket.
I liked that our offensive system generated open 3's.
I liked that nearly everyone was "green light" for 3's.
I liked a defensive system that was simple and effective.

One thing I saw in the game that concerned me, was how Burton was used offensively.  When he's in, he needs the ball.  I'm OK with using him only 15 mins per game if his defense is not good, but he needs the ball during those periods.  The offense needs to change slightly when he's in so he can drive and slash.  Pick and Roll would also work.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

brandx

« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2014, 07:21:48 PM »
I liked not hearing the words "Paint Touch" for the entire game.
I liked not seeing random excursions into the paint to get a "paint touch" but not a basket.
I liked that our offensive system generated open 3's.
I liked that nearly everyone was "green light" for 3's.
I liked a defensive system that was simple and effective.

One thing I saw in the game that concerned me, was how Burton was used offensively.  When he's in, he needs the ball.  I'm OK with using him only 15 mins per game if his defense is not good, but he needs the ball during those periods.  The offense needs to change slightly when he's in so he can drive and slash.  Pick and Roll would also work.

You won't see any more 15 minute games from him.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2014, 07:30:29 PM »
If he gets in foul trouble and doesn't rebound, you may. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jsheim

« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2014, 07:44:35 PM »
Agree with most of this, except UTM is not good.
l agreed with all of it, read up a little on UTM. they will get better. Also a first year coach who is a winner...lots of raw talent...they just need to develop chemistry and discipline...implication for MU is a 50-100 win not the worthless 200+ win we sometimes have.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2014, 08:07:34 PM »
l agreed with all of it, read up a little on UTM. they will get better. Also a first year coach who is a winner...lots of raw talent...they just need to develop chemistry and discipline...implication for MU is a 50-100 win not the worthless 200+ win we sometimes have.

I don't think they will be top 100. Hopefully better than 200 though.

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2014, 08:13:11 PM »
One thing that stood out for me that buzz never ever did.

When MU got the ball with 51 seconds left in the 1st half, they came down and got off a shot within 8 seconds so as to give them 2 possessions for 1. The fact that they gave up an offensive rebound denied the opportunity, but it gave us a look at Wojo's thought process as opposed to what the previous regime did (over and over and over).

Thank you for bringing this up, as I cannot recall being that excited at the end of a half solely based on a coaching decision.

The team looked good.  Everybody looked like they wanted to play hard.  They will need to with their lack of size.  This may be a frustrating season in a completely different way than last year as the flashes of 'what lies ahead' with these kids' talent is met with the reality of 'where they are now'.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

brandx

« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2014, 08:37:07 PM »
Thank you for bringing this up, as I cannot recall being that excited at the end of a half solely based on a coaching decision.

The team looked good.  Everybody looked like they wanted to play hard.  They will need to with their lack of size.  This may be a frustrating season in a completely different way than last year as the flashes of 'what lies ahead' with these kids' talent is met with the reality of 'where they are now'.

Buzz would have had Derrick dribble near center court for 20 seconds and then called a timeout.

Good to see Wojo will take advantage of a situation.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2014, 11:40:58 PM »
I also liked that we have a lot of options to score. There will probably be 7 or 8 different guys who will be the leading scorer in games this year.

Agree. Adding legit 3-point shooting and the ability to score off turnovers really helps the offense, and we appear to have several guys who can score in those ways.

As for our feud, I'm sick and tired of you claiming that your 12-year NBA career gives you a leg up on the rest of us. Ten-time All-Star ... big whoop!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback