'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by rocket surgeon
[Today at 05:19:35 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 04:49:54 PM]

Banquet by rocky_warrior
[Today at 04:25:47 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 04:10:23 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: UTM Thoughts  (Read 18805 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: UTM Thoughts
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2014, 07:00:42 AM »
The things I took from the game:

1. If we really can shoot 3s like this, we will be in most games and could steal a win or two from better, deeper, taller teams.

2. Easy baskets on steals/fastbreaks? Welcome back ... we missed you!

3. Juan was so much more in control. He still showed great energy but he wasn't the same spastic pinball he had been his first three years.

4. Wow, I'm hoping that was really Jajuan's game. Very impressed by his offensive efficiency and his defense.

5. Sandy Cohen was much better than advertised. It will be interesting to see how that develops.

6. Dawson clearly is the 9th man, light years behind Cohen, and will be the 10th man when Luke starts playing.

7. I don't wish injuries on anybody, but Derrick being limited did let Duane get a nice run at PG. I thought Duane looked very comfortable there but he did play bouncy-ball a little too much. I couldn't get over how skinny his arms were!

8. Must get better, smarter play from Carlino and, especially, Burton.

9. We will have trouble -- probably serious trouble -- in the rebounding, interior defense and foul realms against some of the teams on our schedule. Although that will be the case even after Luke starts playing, the Ohio State, Wiscy and Orlando tourney games could be especially ugly.

10. It was only one game against a cupcake, but I am more excited about 2015-16 (and beyond) than ever, and I think this season's team will be both fun and frustrating. Here's hoping folks don't get too bent out of shape as we go through the inevitable growing pains.

Scoopers getting bent out of shape about anything? What am I thinking?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2014, 07:05:10 AM »
Confirmation of the fact we are athletic, quick and small, although some of the smallness is negated by the how our guards attack at both ends. Going to have to be a group effort on the boards. I thought we got the shots we wanted at will minus a rough patch in both halves where it got disjointed for a few minutes. Defensively, thought that went well also, got beat inside a couple times early and responded with more ball pressure forcing them to start their offense farther out on the perimeter. That of course led to UTM breaking us down on occasion for easy hoops but I'll take that as a significant part of our offense was takeaways and easy buckets on the other end. Nice effort to build on.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2014, 07:11:27 AM »
Duane is obviously extremely quick, but I was concerned he was letting his guy drive past him too much, especially during a short stretch in the middle of the 2nd half in which he got beat 3 times in a row.  Maybe he was trying to avoid fouling, but hopefully he's able to stop that penetration better in the future.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2014, 07:16:07 AM »
Agree with most of this, except UTM is not good.
Du. Wilson is definitely a versatile Guard. He can handle the Point, and is probably the quickest guy on the team. If Derrick gets more than 5-8 minutes, something is not right.

I said UTM "better than their RPI". Their KPom rating coming in was 330/351 schools. Don't think they looked that bad. I think they can be sub-300 as they have some talent which may help MU if this team is on the bubble. So, in conclusion, they are bad, just not horrid.  Loved the unis though.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2014, 07:43:30 AM »
This team will steal a game or two but will get clobbered by the bigger, stronger teams. But watching JJJ and Duane and Deonte and Sandy develop will be worth it. There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2014, 07:57:56 AM »
I thought they were well coached and fun to watch. However, according to the stats shown on the statdium board at the end of the game they were out rebounded by 9 against what will probably be the smallest team they will play all year. That lowers my my expectations for the year. Right now I am assuming Ohio St. will out rebound us by 18.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2014, 07:59:17 AM »
Loved the performances of JJJ and Juan.  Sandy clearly belongs.  Duane and Deonte will be very good, but need to play smarter and more consistently.  Steve looks ready to play, but it'll be tough going until he can move from 5 to 4.

Rebounds will be a huge issue, especially until Luke plays, but we can make some of that up with steals and tight D.

It was only UT-Martin, but I'm feeling better this morning than I thought I would.  This team has the potential to finish in the 4-5 range in the BE, with a shot to be on the bubble.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2014, 08:35:01 AM »
It was nice seeing a team play for a coach. 
I like this.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2014, 08:42:46 AM »
Given his team's size, and being -9 on the boards last night really demonstrates this, the Warriors have got to make more of their free throws.  65% isn't going to get it done against a better team.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2014, 08:52:20 AM »
we musta started practicing free throws again.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2014, 08:52:41 AM »
I thought they were well coached and fun to watch. However, according to the stats shown on the statdium board at the end of the game they were out rebounded by 9 against what will probably be the smallest team they will play all year. That lowers my my expectations for the year. Right now I am assuming Ohio St. will out rebound us by 18.

Yeah I noticed this too.  The problem with Taylor is that he is a below the rim type of player.  Guarding a decent 5 is going to be hard for him.

The other issue I thought was at times their shot selection seemed rushed.  I don't know if Wojo wants them to do that to speed up the game though.  

I think they end up getting beat bad at OSU.  The key to this year is consistent improvement however, and I am confident that this team will be better at the end.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2014, 09:05:40 AM »
Duane is obviously extremely quick, but I was concerned he was letting his guy drive past him too much, especially during a short stretch in the middle of the 2nd half in which he got beat 3 times in a row.  Maybe he was trying to avoid fouling, but hopefully he's able to stop that penetration better in the future.

This is an excellent point. His on-ball defense reminded me a little of JJJ's defense (when he actually got to play) last season. There is no reason Duane shouldn't be able to stay with his man -- he's got the speed, so it's more about technique and "want-to." JJJ demonstrated as much last night.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2014, 09:24:56 AM »
My main excitement is watching this team grow up. We have a lot of talent. It's just young and not tall.

One thing I really liked seeing is everyone's first move wasn't a pump fake. Juan did it a few times, but not as bad as last year. Good to see them having confidence to go right into a shot. I think that's a positive result of the coaching change.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2014, 09:28:26 AM »
While it's only one real game, the team is playing better than I expected.  Last year, the team generally played worse than I expected.  It's more fun to be pleasantly surprised.
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2014, 09:51:45 AM »
Since Scoop likes to malign them, I have to say the students were outstanding last night...upper bowl full 3/4ths up...cheers, loudness, rowdy. The sweater vests on the other hand were MIA...

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2014, 10:35:10 AM »
Since Scoop likes to malign them, I have to say the students were outstanding last night...upper bowl full 3/4ths up...cheers, loudness, rowdy. The sweater vests on the other hand were MIA...

If we could the sweater vests off their rears and cheering during games...we would have the most dominant home court advantage of any team in the nation.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2014, 10:36:36 AM »
JJJ was outstanding. Juan was very good. Cohen started slow, finished strong - I can see why Wojo is so high on him. Burton made a couple of shots, Duanne a couple of moves but neither played well. Carlino also had more bad moments than good. Teve made his lay ups (big improvement from last year) and got some rebounds but his post defense was poor. Derrick was hurt and looked like it. John D hardly played - I expect that to continue.

Overall, fun to watch. We'll need to shoot it well and rebound it better to have a shot at a good season. Hopefully Luke will help with the rebounding.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2014, 10:39:10 AM »
If we could the sweater vests off their rears and cheering during games...we would have the most dominant home court advantage of any team in the nation.
Not gonna happen, I of course, sit by a bunch of sweater vests and have often been the victim of icy glares and comments to dial down my enthusiasm while cheering on MU. I ignore them and am hated in my section by many. :)
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2014, 10:42:23 AM »
Not gonna happen, I of course, sit by a bunch of sweater vests and have often been the victim of icy glares and comments to dial down my enthusiasm while cheering on MU. I ignore them and am hated in my section by many. :)

It probably has nothing to do with your enthusiasm Chip.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2014, 10:43:47 AM »
It probably has nothing to do with your enthusiasm Chip.
Come on man :)

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2014, 10:50:20 AM »

Students were quite good.  They usually are for opening night.  It's always invigorating to see excited Freshmen at their first college hoops game.  As for the season ticket holders, I understand that you might not show the same enthusiasm.  But there were far too many empty seats in the lower bowl for my taste, especially for a Friday night.  I believe the announced attendance was around 12.9K.  I'd personally guess 10K in the building.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2014, 10:53:47 AM »
Come on man :)

Just had to haze you a little Chip.  Shake it off.  It was a joke...and appears you took it well.   :)
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2014, 10:56:01 AM »
Just had to haze you a little Chip.  Shake it off.  It was a joke...and appears you took it well.   :)
It's all good, I'm feeling the love.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2014, 10:57:01 AM »

The student section actually used to boo the sweater vests back in the 80's.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2014, 11:10:41 AM »
I think it was a solid first game but I don't think we should take too much from it.  The defensive side of the ball was solid with outstanding help rotation but UTM was slow to rotate the ball as well.  The offense looked ok and hopefully the shooting continues.  I think we get killed at Ohio State but there will be improvement every game.

I look forward to being wrong, there is definite talent on the team, but I didn't see anything last night given the opponent that changes my mind about it being about a 0.500 season.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."