collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Most Famous Movie Set In Every State - WI: "Dawn of the Dead" (2004)  (Read 21069 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
The Most Famous Movie Set In Every State

http://www.businessinsider.com/most-famous-movie-set-in-every-state-2014-7?op=1

Everyone has that one movie that reminds them of home.

We set out to name the most famous movie in every state — a challenging and subjective endeavor. Some states were more obvious than others. While there's no place like Kansas, New York has inspired directors ranging from Martin Scorsese to Woody Allen to Rob Reiner.

To pick the most famous, we evaluated the state's prominence in the movie and leaned toward movies that were filmed in that location as well. The movie's lifetime gross, its critical acclaim, and testimonials by our geographically diverse staff also influenced our decision.

-------------------------------
WISCONSIN: "Dawn of the Dead" (2004)

When the fictional town of Everett, Wisconsin, is overrun by zombies, a resilient group of human survivors bands together in the local mall to stay alive.

--------------------------------

It fits that Wisconsin is famous for the Zombie Apocalypse ... see Wells Street after 2AM!

muwarrior69

• All American
Re: The Most Famous Movie Set In Every State - WI: "Dawn of the Dead" (2004)
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 07:55:56 PM »
On the Waterfront was filmed entirely in New Jersey. It was nominated for 12 academy awards and won 8 including best actor and best picture.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 08:04:25 PM »
This story lists "Caddyshack" as being set in Nebraska. Don't think so. Brian Doyle Murray wrote it based on his experiences looping at hoity toity Indian Hill Country Club in Winnetka, Il.l
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 08:11:56 PM by Lennys Tap »

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 09:29:24 PM »
Though I live in SD the iconic California movie for me is Hitchcock's "The Birds" and picturesque Bodega Bay.

For Illinois my nominee is " The Blue's Brothers"

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 10:31:51 PM »
This story lists "Caddyshack" as being set in Nebraska. Don't think so. Brian Doyle Murray wrote it based on his experiences looping at hoity toity Indian Hill Country Club in Winnetka, Il.l

As the piece states, "Caddyshack" never explicitly names its geographic setting, there are a couple of allusions to Nebraska. Using your logic, "The Shining" can't be set in Colorado because Stephen King did not grow up there.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 11:45:57 PM »
Hard for me to think of a movie shot in Southern California...

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 07:22:42 AM »
Shawn of the Dead?

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 07:48:55 AM »
Shawn of the Dead?
For Connecticut I guessed they were going to say Mystic Pizza.  Stepford Wives is probably more well-known.  Throw in Holiday Inn, which was probably filmed on a sound stage somewhere, and that's about it for famous movies set in CT.

So many movies in California hard to pick one, but it seems that San Francisco is the California area where you get the most feel for the local geography and landmarks in movies.  Fisherman's Wharf, Golden Gate Bridge, the Transamerica building, Alcatraz, etc.  Moreso than LA, anyway.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 07:57:00 AM by CTWarrior »
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 08:10:22 AM »
As the piece states, "Caddyshack" never explicitly names its geographic setting, there are a couple of allusions to Nebraska. Using your logic, "The Shining" can't be set in Colorado because Stephen King did not grow up there.

Bad analogy. The screenwriter grew up caddying at a snobbish, very exclusive country club in the toniest of Chicago's north shore suburbs. He has said he based the movie and the people in it on that experience. Nebraska is about as far from that kind of experience and those type of people as it gets. It would be like setting  "Taxi Driver" in Kansas.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 08:20:20 AM »
Though I live in SD the iconic California movie for me is Hitchcock's "The Birds" and picturesque Bodega Bay.

For Illinois my nominee is " The Blue's Brothers"
Freeway scenes filmed in MKE while the exit ramps on 794 were stub ends.

MUCrew

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 08:26:22 AM »
Groundhog Day with Bill Murray was filmed in Woodstock, IL...minutes from where I live.

ttheisen

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2014, 08:32:31 AM »
I was guessing Purple Rain for Minnesota, but Mighty Ducks works as well.

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2014, 08:40:24 AM »
Grumpy Old Men reminds me of Minnesota more than The Mighty Ducks, but still a classic childhood movie.

ttheisen

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2014, 08:45:02 AM »
Grumpy Old Men reminds me of Minnesota more than The Mighty Ducks, but still a classic childhood movie.

That's a good shout too.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2014, 08:51:50 AM »
Shawn of the Dead?

Well, there is many a tavern in Wisconsin that closely resembles the Winchester.

Three Flavours Cornetto Trilogy.... I highly recommend downloading the bundle off iTunes.  Hot Fuzz and Shawn of the Dead have to be two of the biggest sleeper classics this side of the pond.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2014, 08:54:57 AM »
And for those of you who failed Drama & Lit in HS... there is a difference between where a film is "shot," where it is "set," and where the author drew his/her inspiration.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2014, 09:17:17 AM »
I was guessing Purple Rain for Minnesota, but Mighty Ducks works as well.

Fargo is the movie that immediately springs to my mind for Minnesota.  I know Fargo is in ND, but 95% of the movie takes place in Minnesota and they use the Minnesota landscape (and over the top caricatures of the local populace) to set the tone for the whole movie.  I'm guessing he used Fargo for North Dakota because what else was he going to use?  There were a few other choices for MN.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2014, 09:25:19 AM »
And for those of you who failed Drama & Lit in HS... there is a difference between where a film is "shot," where it is "set," and where the author drew his/her inspiration.

True. Where a movie is "shot" is completely beside the point. And the author need not set the film in the area that inspired him (though he commonly will, and he certainly won't set it in an area that is antithetic to the one that inspired him).

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2014, 09:33:23 AM »

Three Flavours Cornetto Trilogy.... I highly recommend downloading the bundle off iTunes.  Hot Fuzz and Shawn of the Dead have to be two of the biggest sleeper classics this side of the pond.

I'm an old man and missed Hot Fuzz and Shawn of the Dead the first time around. I read a review of The World's End and was intrigued. It was so laugh out loud funny I made it a point to watch the first two in the trilogy. Sleeper classics indeed.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2014, 09:58:13 AM »
For Connecticut I guessed they were going to say Mystic Pizza.  Stepford Wives is probably more well-known.  Throw in Holiday Inn, which was probably filmed on a sound stage somewhere, and that's about it for famous movies set in CT.

So many movies in California hard to pick one, but it seems that San Francisco is the California area where you get the most feel for the local geography and landmarks in movies.  Fisherman's Wharf, Golden Gate Bridge, the Transamerica building, Alcatraz, etc.  Moreso than LA, anyway.

Good call on the two alternates CTWarrior.  I was questioning this one.  There is also, Christmas in Connecticut

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2014, 10:09:57 AM »
"Walk the Line" is an interesting choice for Tennessee.  Any biopic of a country star has a huge chunk of the movie set in Tennessee. Another possibility would have been "The Firm", which was set in Memphis.

In the mid-'70's Burt Reynolds shot a movie in Nashville  (the forgettable "W.W. and the Dixie Dance Kings"), and I remember all the locals losing their sh!t over it.

For awhile, Nashville was a popular place to film movies as a generic city, a la Toronto.  I'd be watching a film and realize that a car chase was taking place on a street not too far from where I grew up.
Have some patience, FFS.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2014, 10:47:39 AM »
Every Tuesday Dallas was shot at a park a half block from my house. Got so the actors knew the local kids by name and were very chummy with them.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2014, 10:51:30 AM »
Shouldn't "Bridesmaids" be the most famous film set in Wisconsin?

Have some patience, FFS.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2014, 11:53:03 AM »
Shouldn't "Bridesmaids" be the most famous film set in Wisconsin?

I would think DotD would be more famous based on the idea that, generally speaking, female interest in horror/zombie flicks dwarfs any hetero-male interest in Bridesmaids.

IMO - a "most famous" film has to have mass-appeal.  Honest question (as I haven't seen it) does Bridesmaids have any appeal outside of the cisgender female audience?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2014, 12:03:08 PM »
I would think DotD would be more famous based on the idea that, generally speaking, female interest in horror/zombie flicks dwarfs any hetero-male interest in Bridesmaids.

IMO - a "most famous" film has to have mass-appeal.  Honest question (as I haven't seen it) does Bridesmaids have any appeal outside of the cisgender female audience?

Worldwide Grosses per IMDB:

DotD:               $55 million
Bridesmaids    $288 million

And yes, I believe there are more guys who have seen "Bridesmaids" than women who have seen "DotD." 

If you haven't seen it, you are missing out on one funny film.  It's not just a chick movie.  That's like saying only guys would think "The Hangover" is funny.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 12:07:08 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

feedback