Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Butler coach takes medical leave  (Read 20524 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Butler coach takes medical leave
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2014, 08:42:59 AM »
OK, drop them back to the A-10 (or as it should be known, the Big East's triple A league) and bring up Dayton. 

That's what I'm talking about!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2014, 08:46:52 AM »
Butler was the runner up twice to the NCAA Championship.  4 Sweet 16's in the past 10 years.  12 NCAA Tournament appearances.  In comparison, Seton Hall was runner up once, 4 Sweet 16s total (none since 2000) and just 9 NCAA Tournament appearances.  DePaul has never been an NCAA runner up, hasn't made a Sweet 16 in nearly 30 years, and hasn't made a tournament in 10 years.  Butler is hardly a problem for the Big East.

Butler has an excellent basketball program in a basketball-driven location (and a major media market).  They have a terrific list of previous head coaches (Stevens, Matta, Collier).  Do they get invited if Brad Stevens leaves before being accepted?  Tough call, but I would lean towards yes.  Unfortunately, it appears they handed the keys to the brand new Mercedes to a guy that didn't have a driver's license.  

Butler will get back to being competitive after this issue with the coach is resolved (i.e. moving on).  Regardless of its previous conference affiliation, they have always been a winning program.  

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2014, 09:20:26 AM »
That's not a very good sign for you guys then.  Don't disagree with the sentiment though.

Thanks for caring,  Irish fans are always giddy when they start off 3-0,  then comes nevember when they almost perrenially sit at .500 and the academic standards argument bubles up as they cry and tell eveyone the knute rockne and gipper stories and pop in a vhs of "Rudy".  get lost Lamer

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2014, 09:30:58 AM »
Butler was the runner up twice to the NCAA Championship.  4 Sweet 16's in the past 10 years.  12 NCAA Tournament appearances.  In comparison, Seton Hall was runner up once, 4 Sweet 16s total (none since 2000) and just 9 NCAA Tournament appearances.  DePaul has never been an NCAA runner up, hasn't made a Sweet 16 in nearly 30 years, and hasn't made a tournament in 10 years.  Butler is hardly a problem for the Big East.

Butler has an excellent basketball program in a basketball-driven location (and a major media market).  They have a terrific list of previous head coaches (Stevens, Matta, Collier).  Do they get invited if Brad Stevens leaves before being accepted?  Tough call, but I would lean towards yes.  Unfortunately, it appears they handed the keys to the brand new Mercedes to a guy that didn't have a driver's license.  

Butler will get back to being competitive after this issue with the coach is resolved (i.e. moving on).  Regardless of its previous conference affiliation, they have always been a winning program.  

I agree they have been good for the last 10-15 years , no one can argue differently.  But let us not forget that historically they have not been any good, historically have been in a low major conference, and historically have been the 4-th to 7th best program in their own state.  Sorry but Butler does not drive eyeballs in Indy.
  I hope I am wrong but being around it i can tell you they have been an after thought at best in hoops in Indiana for ever, to recruits and everyone else, they caught lightning in a bottle which while considered cute by Hoosiers in no way changed anyones perception of the little D3 type school in Indy.  well the once in a lifetime players left and they are right back to where they were before, with no coache and a much higher mountain to climb to even be a .500 conference team.  
I am also concerned that like MU 30 years ago theyfeel they can do what they have always donebecuase they were successful that way, which means they are incredibly low budget versus other high major team and run a nice folksy program.  It wont work until I see Butler commit tens of millions towards becoming a true powerhouse my mind will not change. And slapping some paint on hinkle does not qualify.   
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 09:34:01 AM by River rat »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2014, 09:35:57 AM »

+1.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2014, 10:02:07 AM »
Someone's gotta run the basement in order for the best to rise.  I know butlers been outstanding this era so far. Better than the three closest things to blue bloods we have.  But I see them being like Arkansas in the 90s.  A crazy good program for a bit that just doesn't make a real lasting tradition out of it.  Unfortunately Stevens leaving probably had a lot to do with that. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2014, 11:13:24 AM »
I agree they have been good for the last 10-15 years , no one can argue differently.  But let us not forget that historically they have not been any good, historically have been in a low major conference, and historically have been the 4-th to 7th best program in their own state.  Sorry but Butler does not drive eyeballs in Indy.
  I hope I am wrong but being around it i can tell you they have been an after thought at best in hoops in Indiana for ever, to recruits and everyone else, they caught lightning in a bottle which while considered cute by Hoosiers in no way changed anyones perception of the little D3 type school in Indy.  well the once in a lifetime players left and they are right back to where they were before, with no coache and a much higher mountain to climb to even be a .500 conference team.  
I am also concerned that like MU 30 years ago theyfeel they can do what they have always donebecuase they were successful that way, which means they are incredibly low budget versus other high major team and run a nice folksy program.  It wont work until I see Butler commit tens of millions towards becoming a true powerhouse my mind will not change. And slapping some paint on hinkle does not qualify.   

Except Butler is still bringing in high major worthy recruits and as Golden Warrior pointed out,  has had more success than either Seton Hall or Depaul. Are we kicking them out too? Who do we replace them with? Every major conference has teams that are lagging behind the others. B1G has Rutgers/Penn State/Northwestern, Big 12 has Texas Tech/TCU, SEC has half of its conference, PAC 12 has Oregon State/Washington State, American has its entire conference minus UCONN, Memphis, Temple, and Cincy, ACC has VPI.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Irishdawg

• Walk-On
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2014, 12:52:58 PM »
Thanks for caring,  Irish fans are always giddy when they start off 3-0,  then comes nevember when they almost perrenially sit at .500 and the academic standards argument bubles up as they cry and tell eveyone the knute rockne and gipper stories and pop in a vhs of "Rudy".  get lost Lamer

Yep, Butler fan with an Irish last name, but thanks for the warm welcome.

I actually agree that Butler's attitude does scream small-time compared to Marquette, Nova, Georgetown and what some of the other schools in the Big East have.  They've also split the last 4 meetings with Marquette which is why I said it's not a very good sign for you guys when Butler screams mid-major and you split with them.  We'll see how this year plays out for both squads.  FWIW, I actually do root for Marquette (and all Big East schools) during the non-conference and NCAAs.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 12:58:25 PM by Irishdawg »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2014, 02:14:53 PM »

I actually agree that Butler's attitude does scream small-time compared to Marquette, Nova, Georgetown and what some of the other schools in the Big East have.  They've also split the last 4 meetings with Marquette which is why I said it's not a very good sign for you guys when Butler screams mid-major and you split with them.  We'll see how this year plays out for both squads.  FWIW, I actually do root for Marquette (and all Big East schools) during the non-conference and NCAAs.

...yet we got the only one that mattered.  The last image of Brad Stevens in the NCAA.  Until he takes over Dook.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2014, 02:22:59 PM »
...yet we got the only one that mattered.  The last image of Brad Stevens in the NCAA.  Until he takes over Dook.

That Butler-Marquette game was the ONLY time I have ever seen emotion from Brad Stevens.  He is always so calm, collected and stoic.  If I recall, there was a close charging call in the 2nd half of that game (against Butler), and he was on his knees in a sight of extreme disappointment and disbelief.  That game riled me up too.  Such a great game.

Wally Schroeder

• Starter
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2014, 03:08:35 PM »

I always tell people a 4-game sample size against one opponent is the best way to measure your program's trajectory.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2014, 04:18:08 PM »
I always tell people a 4-game sample size against one opponent is the best way to measure your program's trajectory.

That's what I've always heard. It's why were better than Kentucky :)
Maigh Eo for Sam

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2014, 04:26:23 PM »
That Butler-Marquette game was the ONLY time I have ever seen emotion from Brad Stevens.  He is always so calm, collected and stoic.  If I recall, there was a close charging call in the 2nd half of that game (against Butler), and he was on his knees in a sight of extreme disappointment and disbelief.  That game riled me up too.  Such a great game.

Accurate.  Was there.  Amazing game.  Let's face it, Butler was going to go to the National Title game.  There is no stopping Brad Stevens until then in the NCAA Tournament.  But we did.

By the way, he was very complimentary of Derrick Wilson after that game in his post game press conference.  I believe he mentioned the defense hounding their ball handlers all the way up the court and then specifically mentioned Derrick.  And Buzz said after that game that Derrick was the reason we were moving onto the S16.  But Buzz is a Derrick lover and so is Brad Stevens.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2014, 04:45:04 PM »
Accurate.  Was there.  Amazing game.  Let's face it, Butler was going to go to the National Title game.  There is no stopping Brad Stevens until then in the NCAA Tournament.  But we did.

By the way, he was very complimentary of Derrick Wilson after that game in his post game press conference.  I believe he mentioned the defense hounding their ball handlers all the way up the court and then specifically mentioned Derrick.  And Buzz said after that game that Derrick was the reason we were moving onto the S16.  But Buzz is a Derrick lover and so is Brad Stevens.

Derrick wilson drafted by the celtics after this year book it!
Maigh Eo for Sam

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2014, 08:06:33 PM »
I said before and i will say it now, allowing butler into the BE was a collossal mistake

Cloudpierecer, who would you have wanted instead? 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2014, 08:12:35 PM »
Thanks for caring,  Irish fans are always giddy when they start off 3-0,  then comes nevember when they almost perrenially sit at .500 and the academic standards argument bubles up as they cry and tell eveyone the knute rockne and gipper stories and pop in a vhs of "Rudy".  get lost Lamer

I read this post and note the academic standards reference........painful.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2014, 08:16:21 PM »
Cloudpierecer, who would you have wanted instead? 

Are you outing River rat using his Al-given nickname?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2014, 08:16:59 PM »

They need to hire Lavall Jordon immediately

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2014, 08:28:00 PM »
Are you outing River rat using his Al-given nickname?

Nah Murray, no know Dudley doesn't acknowledge us hommies, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2014, 08:38:15 AM »

You realize u beat MU at home in over time after a collossal collapse in MU's worst season in over a decade , correct?  Im happy for u that u split with us last year, if you continue to than MU fans , like Butler fans, will be wondering who our next coach is too

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2014, 10:31:33 AM »

Nah Murray, no know Dudley doesn't acknowledge us hommies, aina?

Doc - what was Dudley's bitch with MU? Guy avoids us like the plague.

Death on call

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2014, 12:07:08 PM »
Was told he resented the publicity and playing time Al gave the brothers as opposed to a traditional like him. He transferred from Mich. St. and probably was countin' on a startin' role with the Warriors.
Thing is, IMO, we don't beat Kansas State and survive to play another day vs. Wake without JD in 1977.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2014, 12:56:02 PM »
Was told he resented the publicity and playing time Al gave the brothers as opposed to a traditional like him. He transferred from Mich. St. and probably was countin' on a startin' role with the Warriors.
Thing is, IMO, we don't beat Kansas State and survive to play another day vs. Wake without JD in 1977.
That was a huge play.  Dudley was inconsistent in any event.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2014, 01:33:19 PM »
He came from a bad situation at MSU. Was an exciting player when he played . Also was a two sport college athlete.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2014, 03:18:10 PM »
Except Butler is still bringing in high major worthy recruits

How u say... "false" ????

Butler made a questionable hire and is paying for it, but it's bigger than this particular hire. Good luck to them. Ooofta.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.