'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

How long will Derrick be given to prove he can shoot before being benched?

3 games
13 (18.3%)
5 games
17 (23.9%)
The Entire Non Conference Season
15 (21.1%)
Half The Season
5 (7%)
The Whole Season
21 (29.6%)

Total Members Voted: 71

Author Topic: Poll:Derrick Wilson Shooting 2014-15  (Read 17482 times)

Texas Western

• All American
Re: Poll:Derrick Wilson Shooting 2014-15
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2014, 06:50:27 PM »
Derrick is much more effective as a backup than as a starter. He is better as a change of pace than as the number one option. Derrick is effective when defenses treat him like he's a legitimate scoring threat. If he comes in off the bench to play 8-18 minutes a game, I don't think defenses will shift to account for him.
Agreed. Also I think when he comes in for spot duty he can play at max speed for 3-4 minutes , push it up the court, go for steals etc be more of a disruptive factor. I prefer that than having him dribble to the sideline 35 feet from the basket.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2014, 07:34:13 PM »
Hmmm. Have you seen any photos of LeBron since, well, since he was 15?

Mailman Malone became an outstanding shooter even though he had a physique like a rock. Jordan bulked up for his comeback. Larry Johnson was chiseled out of granite. Blake Griffin - darn reliable shooter. Ron Freakin' Artist was jacked - and not a bad shooter at all.

Of course, those guys are all much taller. Derrick's body type is almost identical to that of Derek Fisher, whose 3-point shooting helped the Lakers win numerous titles.

But I will say that Ben Wallace and Dwight Howard never could shoot, so maybe Derrick is a mini version of them and not the others I named!

Here's the deal: Some guys can shoot, some can't!

I don't feel Blake Griffin is a good perimeter shooter, nor was Larry Johnson, nor Karl Malone - maybe they had a mid-range game - but those guys largely are/were stars due to their power and what they were able to do around the rim...and all are 6'6" plus.

Derrick is probably 5'10" barefeet, weighs 205-215, is built like a tank - short arms.  LeBron?  He's a long muscle type of guy - yes he's built, as was Jordan, yet they are long armed and aren't nearly as muscle bound as Derrick. 

Derrick looks like he should be a halfback.  He's a powerful dude without question, has a super strong physique - yet I do feel his physique alone makes it very difficult to be a good shooter of the basketball.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2014, 07:44:39 PM »
I don't feel Blake Griffin is a good perimeter shooter, nor was Larry Johnson, nor Karl Malone - maybe they had a mid-range game - but those guys largely are/were stars due to their power and what they were able to do around the rim...and all are 6'6" plus.

Derrick is probably 5'10" barefeet, weighs 205-215, is built like a tank - short arms.  LeBron?  He's a long muscle type of guy - yes he's built, as was Jordan, yet they are long armed and aren't nearly as muscle bound as Derrick. 

Derrick looks like he should be a halfback.  He's a powerful dude without question, has a super strong physique - yet I do feel his physique alone makes it very difficult to be a good shooter of the basketball.
Derricks future is in the NFL. I am sure he would blow away the combine.  He would certainly be worth a look.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2014, 10:29:40 PM »
Derricks future is in the NFL. I am sure he would blow away the combine.  He would certainly be worth a look.

It would be interesting to see.  As I recall he was an all state caliber football player in HS as well.  On another note, his body and head will thank him later for choosing basketball.   :D
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2014, 11:36:32 PM »

Larry Johnson was a 33% career shooter from 3-point range; very representative for a power player. Malone became extremely reliable from 20 and in - is that midrange? Griffin has a very nice 17-footer now. LeBron is built like an NFL linebacker.

And, again, Derek Fisher has almost the exact same build as Derrick and was a great outside shooter.

Denying all that doesn't make it less true.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2014, 12:54:11 AM »
I am sure of that...there are alot of players built with Derrick's body type and physique who were compact players who developed into good shooters.

I think it comes down to repetition and flexibility for guys who are a bit muscle bound in getting that extension and proper shot slot in their shot.

Derrick Fisher is an exellent example you used. World B. Free was built alot like Derrick is as well and he could put them up and in with the best of them.

Remember Pearl Washington of the SU? Mateen Cleaves of MSU. And Jordan Taylor of UW. All a bit like D.Wilson. He has good form and lift on his shot. It might have been a bit flat at times and comes off the rim long. . . but the technique is there.

But yeah, he would have made a heck of a running back or safety on the college level or NFL as would a lot of cats we had run through here.

But I say Derrick will be given 5 games but not long. They are too deep at his position and we have nto see Duane Wilson yet. Plus DWilson's calling card is Wojo type defense, not offense. I think Wojo will be a role based coach.

But I will say this, I do not know the trainer is for MU [who is it Todd Smith is it? Never met him...]but he helps to do a phenomenal job with transforming some of these players from when they first come in here to their senior year and early in their Pro careers physically and strength wise.

Stiff players all of a sudden have more lateral quickness and are more quicker and explosive and evenly centered and trimmed down into basketball weight and shape.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2014, 12:58:23 AM »
It would be interesting to see.  As I recall he was an all state caliber football player in HS as well.  On another note, his body and head will thank him later for choosing basketball.   :D
I disagree. He should have stuck with football. And that is no knock on his skills as a basketball player at all.

He would have been excellent at football but so would have Jae Crowder and he is in the Association [NBA] so what do I know?

Too bad this University does not have both.

But that was up to him and he chose basketball. I think he can make a good coach someday as well. He has the bball IQ and temperment and leadership capabilities for it.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 01:00:24 AM by MUHoopsFan2 »

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2014, 01:03:15 AM »
MU is not Duke (sorry to say).

I doubt we have any players on our team that would be scholarship players at Duke...did any of the guys on our team get an offer from them?

Anyway, Derrick starts to begin the season.  I am quite sure.  

If he doesn't, then that's a good sign we might be a lot better than what I think we are going to be.
What!?

MU does have some players who could have been considered to be scholarship players at Duke when they came out of high school, what are you talking about?

Duane Wilson is one. If Quinn Cook went there he could have. Deonte Burton as well could have gone to Duke too if they offered. So might have JJJ.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2014, 01:06:13 AM »
I disagree. He should have stuck with football. And that is no knock on his skills as a basketball player at all.

He would have been excellent at football but so would have Jae Crowder and he is in the Association [NBA] so what do I know?

Too bad this University does not have both.

But that was up to him and he chose basketball. I think he can make a good coach someday as well. He has the bball IQ and temperment and leadership capabilities for it.

What makes you think he has the bball IQ to be a good coach someday?

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2014, 01:09:51 AM »
Lets face it. Hes just a bad shooter. Sure he can improve but to what extent over a single summer? Some people just cant shoot, its not anything bad but he just doesn't have a whole lot else on the offensive end to compensate for that and that's where the problems start.
No, I have seen him. He can shoot. He just releases the ball in the back of his hand too much and does not get enough arc under it.

But he has solid mechanics and form. He is thick handed and heavy handed shooter. Meaning, to me guys or gals with long wide and slim hands and fingers can grip the ball differently and launch it and have a better snap follow throw on the ball then guys who have meater hands and normal arms length wise. Sorry to get too technical but I could explain it more if I had more time...suffice to say. He could improve with some minor tweaking and adjustments. I've seen him play up close I know. Trust me. He can get better.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2014, 01:12:16 AM »
What makes you think he has the bball IQ to be a good coach someday?

I don't know much about Derrick's bball IQ, but he has the leadership skills. Talk to any of the guys on the team. Even if he doesn't have the skills to match, they all respect the hell out of Derrick. He is the team's leader. He just doesn't have the shot to match. I would not be surprised at all if he ended up coaching one day.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2014, 01:15:44 AM »
I don't know much about Derrick's bball IQ, but he has the leadership skills. Talk to any of the guys on the team. Even if he doesn't have the skills to match, they all respect the hell out of Derrick. He is the team's leader. He just doesn't have the shot to match. I would not be surprised at all if he ended up coaching one day.

I don't know about his bball IQ either, that's why I was asking why he thought this. I don't doubt that he is a team leader, always have very much respected his character on and off the court.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2014, 06:11:20 AM »
What!?

MU does have some players who could have been considered to be scholarship players at Duke when they came out of high school, what are you talking about?

Duane Wilson is one. If Quinn Cook went there he could have. Deonte Burton as well could have gone to Duke too if they offered. So might have JJJ.
Name one player on our team who had a scholorship offer from Duke, not "they could have gone there IF Duke had offered." 

Not trying to knock our guys, just the reality.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #63 on: September 10, 2014, 07:57:22 AM »
Larry Johnson was a 33% career shooter from 3-point range; very representative for a power player. Malone became extremely reliable from 20 and in - is that midrange? Griffin has a very nice 17-footer now. LeBron is built like an NFL linebacker.

And, again, Derek Fisher has almost the exact same build as Derrick and was a great outside shooter.

Denying all that doesn't make it less true.

Derek Fisher is the only relevant example.  As I said before, the other guys you mentioned are all 6'6" plus, and while powerfully built, all have longer muscle structure.  It is much more difficult for a muscle bound, stocky, short armed guy to shoot a basketball well.  Jordan, Malone, LeBron, and even LJ all have very long arms.

Someone else mentioned Mateen Cleaves - Cleaves was never a good shooter.  Jordan Taylor?  He was taller and longer armed than is Derrick.

As MUHoopsFan2 pointed out, Derrick has thick/heavy hands (great for a boxer), and that also affects an ability to shoot with touch.

I'm not hating on Derrick here in anyway - I'm simply saying that his build alone makes it much more challenging to be a good shooter than is the case for most high major basketball players.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2014, 08:14:12 AM »
No, I have seen him. He can shoot. He just releases the ball in the back of his hand too much and does not get enough arc under it.

But he has solid mechanics and form. He is thick handed and heavy handed shooter. Meaning, to me guys or gals with long wide and slim hands and fingers can grip the ball differently and launch it and have a better snap follow throw on the ball then guys who have meater hands and normal arms length wise. Sorry to get too technical but I could explain it more if I had more time...suffice to say. He could improve with some minor tweaking and adjustments. I've seen him play up close I know. Trust me. He can get better.
The question is how long will it take for him to get better. My sense is not in time for this season. Hence the question how long is Wojo willing to tolerate this situation.  Derrick is the kind of kid coaches will give the benefit of the doubt to because he works hard and is a leader. But that only goes so far.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #65 on: September 10, 2014, 08:15:38 AM »
A leopard don't change his spots, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2014, 08:51:05 AM »
Just to put things in perspective. The TEAM free throw shooting percentage for Providence College last year was 78.2 percent which was better than our best guy.  It is virtually impossible to compete at the D 1 level with a 44.2 percent shooting point guard. It is unprecedented.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2014, 08:52:43 AM »
Wrongo--Derrick will not back up both guard spots--no way, no how, no sir! And he will not play the three!
One of us will be right at the end of the season.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #68 on: September 10, 2014, 11:51:01 AM »
Derek Fisher is the only relevant example.  As I said before, the other guys you mentioned are all 6'6" plus, and while powerfully built, all have longer muscle structure.  It is much more difficult for a muscle bound, stocky, short armed guy to shoot a basketball well.  Jordan, Malone, LeBron, and even LJ all have very long arms.

Someone else mentioned Mateen Cleaves - Cleaves was never a good shooter.  Jordan Taylor?  He was taller and longer armed than is Derrick.

As MUHoopsFan2 pointed out, Derrick has thick/heavy hands (great for a boxer), and that also affects an ability to shoot with touch.

I'm not hating on Derrick here in anyway - I'm simply saying that his build alone makes it much more challenging to be a good shooter than is the case for most high major basketball players.

MUHoopsFan also mentioned World B. Free - another stocky guy who was a great shooter.

And I've got another - Vinnie Johnson.

And here's another - Khalid El-Amin. Say what you want about his short Bulls career, but he shot 35% from 3-point range at UConn, averaged more than 15 points,  was the No. 2 scorer on a national title team and even started 14 games in the NBA. Pretty good college shooter despite his 5-foot-10, 203 lbs frame.

Ners, you're probably right when you say compact and/or muscular smaller players tend not to be as good shooters. As with most generalizations, however, there are so many exceptions that it ends up being only an excuse.

Again, SOME GUYS JUST CAN'T SHOOT! And some muscular men - big and small - shoot very well.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #69 on: September 10, 2014, 01:59:51 PM »
Just to put things in perspective. The TEAM free throw shooting percentage for Providence College last year was 78.2 percent which was better than our best guy.  It is virtually impossible to compete at the D 1 level with a 44.2 percent shooting point guard. It is unprecedented.
Take away Dominic James dunks and he probably had a worse shooting percentage than Wilson, which did not stop James from taking shots. James also was a horrible free throw shooter. The big difference between James and Wilson is that James was actually a point guard. Derrick is not a point guard and playing him at the two and the three will make things easier for him. Although, if you take Wojo by his word there will be no designated point guard on this team. Basically, whichever guard has the ball will initiate the offense. This makes sense, because this team has a lot of combo guards and no true point guard. I never liked the term combo guard, because it always seemed to me that these are guards that are not good enough at shooting to be called a shooting guard and not good enough at point to be called a point guard.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #70 on: September 10, 2014, 02:34:16 PM »
Take away Dominic James dunks and he probably had a worse shooting percentage than Wilson, which did not stop James from taking shots. James also was a horrible free throw shooter. The big difference between James and Wilson is that James was actually a point guard. Derrick is not a point guard and playing him at the two and the three will make things easier for him. Although, if you take Wojo by his word there will be no designated point guard on this team. Basically, whichever guard has the ball will initiate the offense. This makes sense, because this team has a lot of combo guards and no true point guard. I never liked the term combo guard, because it always seemed to me that these are guards that are not good enough at shooting to be called a shooting guard and not good enough at point to be called a point guard.
I dont think dominic was worse than 7%.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2014, 06:19:33 PM »

You are aware the the 2 guard position is also referred to as a shooting guard, correct?  If there is one thing I am absolutely sure of this upcoming season, Derrick Wilson will not be playing the 2.  I can only imagine seeing Derrick run the baseline for a look off of a double screen - a la Reggie Miller - and Derrick round into a nice 3.   ;D

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #72 on: September 10, 2014, 10:03:42 PM »
Yes I am aware that the 2 guard is the shooting guard spot. I am also aware that Derrick was a 2 guard in high school. Buzz trying to make him into a point guard was a disaster, because Derrick has no point guard skills. I am not saying he is going to start, but he is going to play. I also take Wojo at his word when he said the team will not have a designated point guard and that the players that give the maximum effort are going to play a lot..

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #73 on: September 10, 2014, 10:07:20 PM »
I dont think dominic was worse than 7%.
I was referring to overall shooting percentage and not 3 point shooting. Remove James fast break dunks and Derrick's three point shooting it would not surprise me if Derrcik's junior percentage is higher than James' senior percentage.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2014, 12:03:50 AM »

How many guys that are 6ft and can't shoot play the 2 and 3? Good grief do you understand what you are saying...how can a guy who can't shoot be effective at the 2 and 3, and at 6ft besides that smh. Why not just have him play the 5 for us while were at it  :o

feedback