collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Which smoker to buy  (Read 161891 times)

Re: Which smoker to buy
« Reply #550 on: August 27, 2018, 02:58:26 PM »
A few thoughts :

- Maintaining a stable temperature has always been a heartache, especially living in Wisconsin / starting the smoker at 2-3AM in the morning / etc. etc.  I recently broke down and bought a temperature controller for my Weber Smokey Mountain and it's already paid for itself.  Charcoal doesn't burn up at temperature spikes, stable cooking throughout, notification when temperature drops occur, and most importantly - less babysitting of the smoker.  It's a glorified logic to run a fan, but I wish I would have thought of it.

- For anyone with Facebook, I would recommend following 'Hey Grill Hey'.  There are some great smoker recipe and tips posted.  Brisket process (end with wrapping in butcher paper) is fantastic as it retains moisture.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #551 on: August 27, 2018, 09:10:41 PM »
A few thoughts :

- Maintaining a stable temperature has always been a heartache, especially living in Wisconsin / starting the smoker at 2-3AM in the morning / etc. etc.  I recently broke down and bought a temperature controller for my Weber Smokey Mountain and it's already paid for itself.  Charcoal doesn't burn up at temperature spikes, stable cooking throughout, notification when temperature drops occur, and most importantly - less babysitting of the smoker.  It's a glorified logic to run a fan, but I wish I would have thought of it.

- For anyone with Facebook, I would recommend following 'Hey Grill Hey'.  There are some great smoker recipe and tips posted.  Brisket process (end with wrapping in butcher paper) is fantastic as it retains moisture.

Just ran across a place that does that....Big Guys BBQ in North Hudson.  Got a tour of the smoker when I was there. 

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #552 on: August 30, 2018, 08:34:21 AM »
Favorite wood?

Hickory
Apple
Cherry
Pecan

Here comes ‘Never in 3...2...1

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #553 on: August 30, 2018, 10:44:31 AM »
Favorite wood?

Hickory
Apple
Cherry
Pecan

Here comes ‘Never in 3...2...1
Cherry for poultry.  Hickory/Cherry together for pork.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #554 on: August 30, 2018, 12:06:05 PM »
Cherry, plain and simple.  I don't have room for a face of two different woods, so I go with the easiest, most-versatile species.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #555 on: August 30, 2018, 11:01:11 PM »
Experimenting with pecan and oak this weekend

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #556 on: August 31, 2018, 05:04:37 AM »
 mesquite is nice on pork and beef brisket!  sometimes mesquite/hickory for a good, deep southwest flavor
don't...don't don't don't don't

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #557 on: September 16, 2018, 07:32:55 AM »
Got a pork belly in right now. Will end up as burnt ends for half time treat

Also taking a crack at candied bacon....should make a great stir stick for bloodies. 

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #558 on: September 17, 2018, 09:33:57 AM »
Beef ribs
Polish sausage
Weber Kettle / mix of hardwoods / Kingsford cherry wood (didn't want to use, but it's what I had)

Method
https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/sous-vide-que-beef-ribs-rosemary-red-wine-sauce-recipe - Did not make the sauce - kept smoke about 270 for about 4 hours

Rub (made own chili powder)
https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/spice-rubs-and-pastes/big-bad-beef-rub-recipe

Results:
Ridiculously good.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #559 on: October 13, 2018, 09:07:43 PM »
yo chili-i've got a couple of big chucks rubbed with dijon, sea salt and my secret chili rub.  have you done chuck roasts before?  i'm thinking a couple hours, maybe three just for good measure at 225 with hickory, then wrap in foil and continue to 180 internal.  how does that sound to you? 

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #560 on: October 14, 2018, 09:37:16 AM »
yo chili-i've got a couple of big chucks rubbed with dijon, sea salt and my secret chili rub.  have you done chuck roasts before?  i'm thinking a couple hours, maybe three just for good measure at 225 with hickory, then wrap in foil and continue to 180 internal.  how does that sound to you?

Sounds really good.  I'm still full from last Sunday's BBQ. According to the scale, I gained 8 lbs last sunday :o

I'll be curious how tender it gets at 180. Comes from a working muscle.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #561 on: October 14, 2018, 11:17:08 AM »
Sounds really good.  I'm still full from last Sunday's BBQ. According to the scale, I gained 8 lbs last sunday :o

I'll be curious how tender it gets at 180. Comes from a working muscle.

after 2-2 1/2 hours at 225, the meat was already up to 205, but predictably so was still pretty tough.  turned down to 200 to get a little more smoke.  then i'm going to wrap in foil and put back in at 250 or so to get it tender.  i'll keep ya filled in.

speakin of working muscles, you're probably reading this from your treadmill, ey? ;D

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #562 on: October 14, 2018, 12:01:25 PM »
after 2-2 1/2 hours at 225, the meat was already up to 205, but predictably so was still pretty tough.  turned down to 200 to get a little more smoke.  then i'm going to wrap in foil and put back in at 250 or so to get it tender.  i'll keep ya filled in.

speakin of working muscles, you're probably reading this from your treadmill, ey? ;D

I hit Lifetime 3x this weekend   

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #563 on: October 14, 2018, 12:15:15 PM »
ok-3 1/2 on open grate, able to grab with tongs, but tender as hell, but not falling apart.  able to slice across grain, but not like brisket.  i double wrapped in heavy foil and put back in smoker at 240.  i may only do a couple more hours, but i had to do a taste test...almost crapped myself it soooo good!! i used my rib rub and minced garlic crust on top just as i put them in the smoker. 

next time, doing the same thing except with about  8 of them.  my sister is opening up a brew pub and they want to try a few different smoked meats.  she already has me down for the pork shoulder and beef brisket.  i've got to try a whole bolgna as well

have you heard of david alan alan's smoke house?  fairly new in mukwonago but the place is doing gangbusters.  great story

https://www.daasmokehouse.com/

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #564 on: October 28, 2018, 08:12:37 AM »
Had some fantastic catered brisket this week from the Lookout.  JB, that's in your hood. Ever try it?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #565 on: January 09, 2019, 08:59:39 PM »
Had some really good meat at the Smoke Shack in MKE last weekend.  Burnt ends were sublime, but the brisket was a little dry overall for my taste.  Still going back.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #566 on: January 09, 2019, 09:07:45 PM »
Had some really good meat at the Smoke Shack in MKE last weekend.  Burnt ends were sublime, but the brisket was a little dry overall for my taste.  Still going back.

Try Doc’s and give us your honest comparison.
Ludum habemus.

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
« Reply #567 on: January 10, 2019, 12:27:10 AM »
Had some fantastic catered brisket this week from the Lookout.  JB, that's in your hood. Ever try it?

Chili, JB,

Bringing a group from UK the last week of Jan to look at the technology we added to the HERC. Let's grab a beer.

"I don't care what Chick says, my mom's a babe" 

theBabyDavid

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #568 on: January 10, 2019, 06:08:40 AM »
Chili, JB,

Bringing a group from UK the last week of Jan to look at the technology we added to the HERC. Let's grab a beer.

You are on. PM me.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #569 on: January 24, 2019, 07:28:38 PM »
Chili, JB,

Making money burning garbage.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #570 on: January 26, 2019, 08:44:43 AM »
Chili, JB,

Coldest week of the year next week.  4 days below zero. Keepin' the riffraff out. A real treat for your UK guests.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 08:29:38 AM by real chili 83 »

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #571 on: February 09, 2019, 05:18:44 AM »
I'm new to smoking and want to try a brisket, but a full brisket is way to big for the family, even with day after leftovers.  Is it better to smoke half a brisket and freeze the other half uncooked, or smoke it all and freeze half after?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #572 on: February 09, 2019, 05:33:26 AM »
No harm in freezing half.

Are you doing a flat or a whole brisket?  If a whole are you doing burnt ends?

I use my leftovers for chili.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #573 on: February 09, 2019, 05:41:22 AM »
No harm in freezing half.

Are you doing a flat or a whole brisket?  If a whole are you doing burnt ends?

I use my leftovers for chili.

I don't know enough to know which I'm doing yet.  I've only found brisket at one local store and have not yet bought.  It looked about 6-7 pounds but I did not pay attention to whether it was a flat or whole.

For a first attempt I am doing whatever is simplest and has the best chance of success.  My first smoke on ribs was poor to adequate: the second much better. 

It took a couple tries to get the temperature stable.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #574 on: February 09, 2019, 05:56:38 AM »
What kind of smoker do you have?

feedback