collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Kevin Love trade  (Read 15360 times)

StillAWarrior

• All American
Re: Kevin Love trade
« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2014, 12:22:46 PM »
Gave up too much??? Anthony Bennett was awful last year for a 1st overall pick, Andrew Wiggins has never played a minute in the NBA, and the Cavs 1st round pick is likely to be in the high 20's.  Sounds like a great deal for the Cavs. 

As I mentioned above, perhaps "gave up too much" was a poor choice of words.  Maybe I should have said, "gave up more than they needed to."
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2014, 01:50:28 PM »
As I mentioned above, perhaps "gave up too much" was a poor choice of words.  Maybe I should have said, "gave up more than they needed to."

Even that would have been off.  Cleveland got a great deal.  Sure they gave up Wiggins, but it's unlikely that in 5 years Wiggins will be at the level Love is at now.  Aside from that, they gave up a dud (Bennett) who will probably never amount to anything, and a pick that probably won't be worth much.  Finally, contrary to popular belief, Minnesota absolutely did not "have to trade" Kevin Love.  They were not far off from being a playoff team last year and they could have tried to make a run with him this year and then put the ball in his court next summer to take less money to leave to playoff team.  Overall I think the Wolves did the right thing by making the move, but this is clearly a win for Cleveland.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2014, 01:57:27 PM »
^ plus they're likely to get the overall #1 pick again in the next year or 2

Hey, with LeBron in Cleveland the Cavs could have the best record in the NBA and if they don't win the NBA Finals they could somehow end up with the #1 overall pick, despite not being eligible for the lottery.

Even that would have been off.  Cleveland got a great deal.  Sure they gave up Wiggins, but it's unlikely that in 5 years Wiggins will be at the level Love is at now.  Aside from that, they gave up a dud (Bennett) who will probably never amount to anything, and a pick that probably won't be worth much.  Finally, contrary to popular belief, Minnesota absolutely did not "have to trade" Kevin Love.  They were not far off from being a playoff team last year and they could have tried to make a run with him this year and then put the ball in his court next summer to take less money to leave to playoff team.  Overall I think the Wolves did the right thing by making the move, but this is clearly a win for Cleveland.

I disagree with just about everything you said.  Wiggins has huge potential, which is what you are going to get in return for a guy in his prime, someone who has a ton of potential for someone who has proven himself already.  That's how trades work.  In 5 years, Wiggins could very well be above the level that Kevin Love is at now.  Even if he is not, it doesn't make this a bad move, because, again, if you are going to give up a guy who has proven himself in the league, you are going to be getting potential in return, and sometimes players don't reach their potential.  Kevin Love was not staying with the Timberwolves and that has been incredibly clear for a long, long time.  Keeping him would've been a complete waste.  Absolute best case scenario with Love on the roster is what, battling for an 8 seed in the West?  Sweet, you get a date with the Spurs, Thunder, or Clippers and see 4 Playoff games.  Welcome to the Bucks (prior to this past season).  Stuck in the limbo that is mediocrity and watching your star player walk away for nothing.  They absolutely had to trade Love.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2014, 01:59:55 PM »

Chicago was offering a pretty nice package to Minnesota

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2014, 02:18:50 PM »
Hey, with LeBron in Cleveland the Cavs could have the best record in the NBA and if they don't win the NBA Finals they could somehow end up with the #1 overall pick, despite not being eligible for the lottery.

I disagree with just about everything you said.  Wiggins has huge potential, which is what you are going to get in return for a guy in his prime, someone who has a ton of potential for someone who has proven himself already.  That's how trades work.  In 5 years, Wiggins could very well be above the level that Kevin Love is at now.  Even if he is not, it doesn't make this a bad move, because, again, if you are going to give up a guy who has proven himself in the league, you are going to be getting potential in return, and sometimes players don't reach their potential.  Kevin Love was not staying with the Timberwolves and that has been incredibly clear for a long, long time.  Keeping him would've been a complete waste.  Absolute best case scenario with Love on the roster is what, battling for an 8 seed in the West?  Sweet, you get a date with the Spurs, Thunder, or Clippers and see 4 Playoff games.  Welcome to the Bucks (prior to this past season).  Stuck in the limbo that is mediocrity and watching your star player walk away for nothing.  They absolutely had to trade Love.

I said it was unlikely that in 5 years Wiggins will be better than Love is today, but Minnesota made the right move and Cleveland got a great deal.  Are you disagreeing with all of that?  Also, the fact that a player says he plans to opt out next season does not require the team to trade him immediately.  There are numerous examples.

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2014, 02:35:29 PM »

I think he means the t-wolves could end up with the #1 pick from there own pick, you know, cause they are going to suck

brandx

« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2014, 02:40:40 PM »
Chicago was offering a pretty nice package to Minnesota

I saw Gibson, Butler and #1 pick. That's a brutal, awful package.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2014, 02:42:08 PM »
Even that would have been off.  Cleveland got a great deal.  Sure they gave up Wiggins, but it's unlikely that in 5 years Wiggins will be at the level Love is at now.  Aside from that, they gave up a dud (Bennett) who will probably never amount to anything, and a pick that probably won't be worth much.  Finally, contrary to popular belief, Minnesota absolutely did not "have to trade" Kevin Love.  They were not far off from being a playoff team last year and they could have tried to make a run with him this year and then put the ball in his court next summer to take less money to leave to playoff team.  Overall I think the Wolves did the right thing by making the move, but this is clearly a win for Cleveland.

I read an article around the MLB trade deadline that, through using WAR figures and the like, that trading proven stars for one or more players with potential, it works out for the team trading for the proven talent much more often than not.

It's just that when the potential ends up being very, very good, it looks bad in hindsight.  The example always brought up is the Tigers trading John Smoltz for Doyle Alexander.  Yeah Smoltz was a future HoFer, and the Tigers don't win the AL East without Alexander in 1987, but those are the trades that make those trading potential away nervous.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2014, 02:43:18 PM »
I saw Gibson, Butler and #1 pick. That's a brutal, awful package.

Yeah, two role players and a pick in the 20 range?  Blah.  No one over-values their assets more than the Chicago Bulls.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2014, 03:16:15 PM »

Yeah, two role players and a pick in the 20 range?  Blah.  No one over-values their assets more than the Chicago Bulls.

Bulls had a longstanding offer of Gibson, Mirotic, #1 pick (ended up being McDermott).

brandx

« Reply #60 on: August 07, 2014, 03:41:25 PM »
Bulls had a longstanding offer of Gibson, Mirotic, #1 pick (ended up being McDermott).

That's just as bad. A 30 year old role player and 2 rookies for a guy who may be top 10 in the league.

Maybe they could get Ricky Rubio for the same offer

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #61 on: August 07, 2014, 04:06:24 PM »
That's just as bad. A 30 year old role player and 2 rookies for a guy who may be top 10 in the league.

Maybe they could get Ricky Rubio for the same offer

I'm not saying it's good or bad, but that was the offer. Many liked the Bulls offer actually.

For what it's worth, I think Mirotic is an intriguing NBA player.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #62 on: August 07, 2014, 04:59:31 PM »
Would be tough to say goodbye to Kevin, but that would most likely have happened in a year anyway.

I think this is how trades are supposed to work... advantages for both teams.. next year favors Cleveland.. down the line, gives Minnesota some reason to hope. Wolves have hosed up trades and other roster moves badly in the past.. if this completes as described, I'll be relatively pleased.

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2014, 05:24:44 PM »
Absolute, total, 100% no-brainer for the Cavs.

Even if you thought you had a chance to sign Love next summer - and most thought they would have trouble doing so within cap rules - why would you gamble? And why wouldn't you want to give yourself a legit shot at the Eastern title this season?

Neither Love nor LeBron are "old." If the Cavs keep both, as well as Irving, through the end of the decade - and signs are they will do just that - and surround them with some nice role players, there is absolutely no reason they shouldn't be the team to beat in the East until 2020.

I'm not a Cavs fan, I have no ties to Cleveland and I think their owner is an absolute tool, but I feel happy for Cleveland sports fans. They deserve a win every few decades!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #64 on: August 08, 2014, 11:00:32 AM »
Philadelphia Daily News is reporting this today.

A source informed the Daily News that the Sixers will be sending veteran forward Thaddeus Young to Minnesota for a package that will include Bennett, the No. 1 pick in the 2013 NBA draft.

brandx

« Reply #65 on: August 08, 2014, 02:21:19 PM »
http://grantland.com/features/kevin-love-lebron-james-trade-minnesota-timberwolves/

Here's ammo if you love Kevin Love and think he is one of the top 10-12 players in the NBA -- or -- if you think he'is just an overrated gunner who's never even played on a team that was .500

I lean towards the latter, but......

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #66 on: August 08, 2014, 02:26:02 PM »
http://grantland.com/features/kevin-love-lebron-james-trade-minnesota-timberwolves/

Here's ammo if you love Kevin Love and think he is one of the top 10-12 players in the NBA -- or -- if you think he'is just an overrated gunner who's never even played on a team that was .500

I lean towards the latter, but......

The article basically points out that if your argument is "his teams have not won, therefore he is overrated" that is a weak and half-assed argument.  He's going to kill it with LeBron.  The Wolves are going to be pretty bad for a few years but will have a foundation to build a contender.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #67 on: August 08, 2014, 03:25:06 PM »
Love can flat out hoop. Bron, Irvin', and Love are better than Bron, Wade, and Bosh.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #68 on: August 08, 2014, 05:03:40 PM »
Love makes this a formidable lineup.

brandx

« Reply #69 on: August 08, 2014, 09:24:39 PM »
Love can flat out hoop. Bron, Irvin', and Love are better than Bron, Wade, and Bosh.

Better than with a crippled Wade.

Otherwise, I'd take the Lebron, Wade, & Bosh from 3 years ago before Lebron, Irving, and Love now.

Let's see at least 4 straight finals before I change my mind.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #70 on: August 08, 2014, 10:25:15 PM »

Better than with a crippled Wade.

Otherwise, I'd take the Lebron, Wade, & Bosh from 3 years ago before Lebron, Irving, and Love now.

Let's see at least 4 straight finals before I change my mind.

Of course.

LeBron/Wade/Bosh = Proven Champions.

LeBron/Love/Irving = We'll see.

brandx

« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2014, 03:45:48 PM »
Of course.

LeBron/Wade/Bosh = Proven Champions.

LeBron/Love/Irving = We'll see.

I took the easy argument.

But I do think that the Wade of 4 years ago was a much better player than Love is now.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #72 on: August 10, 2014, 01:59:15 AM »
I took the easy argument.

But I do think that the Wade of 4 years ago was a much better player than Love is now.

Very different players, but yes I would agree.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #73 on: August 10, 2014, 05:01:36 PM »
Just hoping a trade goes through and we don't lose a million future draft picks because of under-the-table crap as the Wolves have done in the past. Ugh.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

feedback