[Today at 03:17:33 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Good John Dawson Interview...  (Read 34159 times)

NersEllenson

• All American
Re: Good John Dawson Interview...
« Reply #75 on: July 09, 2014, 01:43:44 PM »
Was there something in there that you wanted me to see? Because I read the same stat sheet and see Lockett as the superior player. I see nothing that dispute the points I made. Burton's a better scorer but Lockett has a better offensive rating. Lockett is a much better passer and rebounder. Burton is more disruptive but an inferior defender who fouls way too often.

Burton could make up for the scoring Lockett provided but not the other things he did on the court.

I'm also not certain what bias you are talking about. I've been very pro Burton all season.

Think you got the players mixed up as you read comparison...the guy in first column was Lockett...2nd column Burton.

If not a mix up on your part...this is just further evidence and comedy of your inability to look at things objectively...Burton blows Lockett away...even as a freshman in side by side comparison.

Minutes:  Burton  402 Lockett 931 (more than twice the minutes)
Burton O Rating 101.4  Lockett 99.7
Points per 40 minutes  22.1, Lockett 10.5  (Yes...2 times the scorer..but okay he's worse.)
FG% Burton 47.8  Lockett 41.5%
3 PT Shooting:  Burton 50%  Lockett 33.3%
EFG% Burton 48.9% Lockett 44%
Better Offensive Rebounder than Lockett  - have to look at Rebound % as Rebounds per game is totally skewed due to Lockett playing 2 times the minutes.  Lockett has edge as defensive rebounder.

Steals:  Burton 35, Lockett 25 - Yes...10 more steals in half the minutes...but who cares?  Burton btw was 5th of all college basketball players in Steal %...but yea...he sucks as a defender.

Blocks:  Burton 14, Lockett 15 - same number but in half the minutes..

Turnovers:  Lockett was a turnover machine.  24.6%.  Burton 14.4%

So..Lockett shoots a worse percentage, scores at half the rate, turns the ball over significantly more, steals the ball 10 times less in a season...than Burton..yet playes twice as many minutes...and blocks the same number of shots for the season?

Ahh...okay...we really had a major fall off losing Lockett...when Burton was on the roster.

The problem of course...which we can agree on..was again Buzz being an idiot and not playing Burton 25...or his other most talented guys the most minutes.

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #76 on: July 09, 2014, 01:57:25 PM »
This is sadly typical of what has become of you. Again, you offer no analysis. Just a bunch of infantile personal attacks and a tiresome reassertion of lots of really dumb things capped by the dumbest thing ever said on Scoop - that Buzz was losing on purpose to say F you to the administration.

As for Buzz at VT, I expect him to do better than his predecessors and improve the program significantly. It's what he did at Marquette. But if you're right that Buzz somehow morphed (on January 1, 2014, no less) from a great guy and brilliant young basketball coach into an evil ego maniac incapable of seeing what was obvious even to know nothings like yourself, he'll be a colossal failure.

Wanna bet?

Ironic.  You do realize that for as much as you harpoon Chicos about Crean...and Chicos can't give an inch in his manlove for Tom...the same applies to you with Buzz?

And no, Buzz didn't just totally become a bad guy January 1, 2014 - he evolved into an ego maniac over his 5 years at MU...just the same as Crean did..to which..you can't get over what a prick Tom Crean could be.  There was the odd and rude interview with Mac in Year 1.  Cutting DJ Newbill for Jamil in year 2.  The sexual assault issue...and possible cover up/team meeting in Year 3. 

He wasn't a saint Lenny.  Jesus.  And at the first sign of adversity at MU...when his balls weren't being licked by everyone....he was too thin skinned and had to bail....and let's face it...at least freaking Crean went to a Blueblood.  Buzz?  To the exact opposite that had virtually everyone in the media saying WTF?  Why?

The reason why?  Because Buzz can't handle high expectations for his teams...has to be an underdog...basically said as much in his latest interview with Gary Parrish...sure doesn't sound like a winner?  And as for your offered bet - of course I won't take it for this very reason...Buzz is at a place where it really can't get any worse...just the way he wanted it..no pressure.

Your hypocrisy in how you view Buzz and Tom Crean is really pretty sad.  Both basically are the same guy....perhaps Buzz the slight edge in overall humanitarian side..but by and large..both insecure, ego maniacs.

Last thought..for as much crap as we gave Chicos for the 2004 team missing the NCAA after being in the Final Four the year before...you don't find it at all ironic that you can't put any blame on Buzz for us missing the NIT after being an Elite 8 team..and Buzz returning more years of experience to his roster than ever before - simply because Buzz had a 2.5 star PG that he recruited as his starter for that season?  Please.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #77 on: July 09, 2014, 02:01:00 PM »
Why can't we agree that Buzz was crazy/dumb and JJJ didn't do what his coach wanted him to do?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #78 on: July 09, 2014, 02:09:46 PM »
Ners, you do understand that percentages tend to drop as minutes increase correct? You also do understand that there is more to to defense than blocks and steals right? You also understand that because Burton's usage rate was so high that it exaggerates his offensive stats? You also understand that there is more to offense than scoring correct? You also understand that Lockett played on a much better team against much better competition and that will drag his stats down?

Ners, why are you so offended when people disagree with you on small details that you feel the need to insult people? We all agree that Burton is going to be great, isn't that enough?

You have a history of setting really high expectations for players. That's fine until you lash out at others who don't agree and in some cases tear down the players when they don't meet your lofty expectations.

I treat your opinions with respect, I ask that you do the same.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2014, 02:37:03 PM »
Ironic.  You do realize that for as much as you harpoon Chicos about Crean...and Chicos can't give an inch in his manlove for Tom...the same applies to you with Buzz?

And no, Buzz didn't just totally become a bad guy January 1, 2014 - he evolved into an ego maniac over his 5 years at MU...just the same as Crean did..to which..you can't get over what a prick Tom Crean could be.  There was the odd and rude interview with Mac in Year 1.  Cutting DJ Newbill for Jamil in year 2.  The sexual assault issue...and possible cover up/team meeting in Year 3. 

He wasn't a saint Lenny. 

Want irony? Want hypocrisy? Read what you just wrote. NOW, you're troubled by the Buzz/Mac interview (I was at the time and said as much). NOW, you're troubled by what you NOW call "cutting" DJ Newbill for Jamil. NOW, you're troubled by what part you think Buzz played in a possible cover up in the sexual assault allegations (correct answer = no part as there was no cover up). When Buzz was winning you were his best pal, begging him to stay in emails. NOW, it's good riddance. When Buzz was winning you defended his character and attacked his detractors. NOW, he's a phony and a coward. When Buzz was winning, he was a great coach with a keen eye for talent. NOW, he plays guys who should be nailed to the bench over guys who are obviously better. When Buzz was winning, he was the very definition of a competitor and his teams reflected that. NOW, he's a quitter who was likely throwing games.

You backed him 1000% when he won. He was larger than life to you, could do no wrong. NOW, after one poor season, you attack him on all fronts. You're a frontrunner and a hypocrite. Mock me all you want for not joining you - I don't play that game.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #80 on: July 09, 2014, 02:56:26 PM »
Want irony? Want hypocrisy? Read what you just wrote. NOW, you're troubled by the Buzz/Mac interview (I was at the time and said as much). NOW, you're troubled by what you NOW call "cutting" DJ Newbill for Jamil. NOW, you're troubled by what part you think Buzz played in a possible cover up in the sexual assault allegations (correct answer = no part as there was no cover up). When Buzz was winning you were his best pal, begging him to stay in emails. NOW, it's good riddance. When Buzz was winning you defended his character and attacked his detractors. NOW, he's a phony and a coward. When Buzz was winning, he was a great coach with a keen eye for talent. NOW, he plays guys who should be nailed to the bench over guys who are obviously better. When Buzz was winning, he was the very definition of a competitor and his teams reflected that. NOW, he's a quitter who was likely throwing games.

You backed him 1000% when he won. He was larger than life to you, could do no wrong. NOW, after one poor season, you attack him on all fronts. You're a frontrunner and a hypocrite. Mock me all you want for not joining you - I don't play that game.

No kidding.  Ners was the leader of the pack that claimed that the sexual assault allegation was likely simply a "woman scored."

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27290.msg310934#msg310934

Now that Buzz played Derrick Wilson ahead of Magic Dawson, Buzz participated in a cover up.

Amazing.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #81 on: July 09, 2014, 03:14:39 PM »
He is so wound up in Buzz-hate that he is making the case that it is OK for a freshman to take whatever shot he wants whenever he wants and wrong for the coach to discipline him for it.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brandx

« Reply #82 on: July 09, 2014, 03:34:42 PM »

No kidding.  Ners was the leader of the pack that claimed that the sexual assault allegation was likely simply a "woman scored."

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27290.msg310934#msg310934

Now that Buzz played Derrick Wilson ahead of Magic Dawson, Buzz participated in a cover up.

Amazing.

Or a "women scorned"? Freudian mis-spelling?

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #83 on: July 09, 2014, 03:49:09 PM »

You're a piece....nice re-direct.  You framed your argument as: Buzz suddenly morphed January 1, 2014 from a great guy and brilliant basketball coach...and I gave you examples of things that weren't so great on Buzz prior to January 1.  The Mac interview.  And you can go back to the Newbill deal and find a post where I mentioned I wasn't comfy with it.  The sexual assaults....I had the players back..as there was a previous sexual relationship between the two...and it began as consensual...pretty freaking gray area there...and no charges were filed. What was a little shady was Buzz calling them together before they spoke with police to get the story straight - yet I can understand why he did that.

And the irony is yes...I had Buzz's back for 5 years...and was very early on record here saying he was going to be really good...really good..might get us a National Championship/Final Four...and Sultan and others were all over you and me with mockery.

But...yea...I turned on him the middle of this year...as he wasn't right...and surprise surprise...Buzz left at the end of the year for an outpost of a job in college basketball. He revealed his true character...EGO maniac.  It was on display early last season..from his stubborn insistence on lineups...even when results weren't improving.  The going got a little tough, and Buzz had to bail.  The reality is, there were going to be multiple transfers if he stayed...Jamil and Davante didn't even mention him 1 time in their Senior Day speeches, while thanking everyone else....Buzz turned into a major jack ass....and I'm not too proud or prideful to say as much even though I had his back for 5 years.

You?  LOL.  You can't even deal with the real reality of Buzz's last season at MU and his departure...actually its even worse than Chico's defense of Tom Crean. At least Crean left on a high note, and to a blue blood.  Buzz?  Left after his 1 crap season...and went to a dead end job...and you are too prideful to admit the guy has a high degree of hypocrisy about him..preaches toughness..character...but when his got tested this year??  What did he do?  He bailed.

Would you like to place a wager on if Buzz will get to a Sweet 16 in the next 5 years?  I mean from your point of view...he walked into a tough situation at Marquette and improved it so much...right?  He should certainly be able to do the same at VaTech..especially with an A.D. that pretty much has given him carte blanche over everything.

brandx

« Reply #84 on: July 09, 2014, 03:49:53 PM »
This is sadly typical of what has become of you. Again, you offer no analysis. Just a bunch of infantile personal attacks and a tiresome reassertion of lots of really dumb things capped by the dumbest thing ever said on Scoop - that Buzz was losing on purpose to say F you to the administration.

As for Buzz at VT, I expect him to do better than his predecessors and improve the program significantly. It's what he did at Marquette. But if you're right that Buzz somehow morphed (on January 1, 2014, no less) from a great guy and brilliant young basketball coach into an evil ego maniac incapable of seeing what was obvious even to know nothings like yourself, he'll be a colossal failure.

Wanna bet?

Lenny, this is the question for me.  Is he a brilliant young basketball coach or a coach that wins because of emotion - because his teams played harder?

I think it is the latter much more than the former. All of a sudden last year, when he lost the team, emotion wasn't enough. We were getting out-hustled for the first time in 6 years under Buzz. After seeing the coaching debacle that was the first Creighton game, I lost ALL confidence in Buzz. He really had no clue what to do against them other than try harder. His game plan against the best three point shooting team in the country was the exact plan he used against everyone else. Clog the lane and make them beat you from the three point line. But by then, the guys weren't buying it.

He did this against Creighton!! Not an example of brilliant coaching at all.

Buzz will have the advantage of always being the underdog, always being the lesser talented team in the ACC. But it's a two-edged sword. I think he will be spent by the fourth or fifth year as he was here. You can't have a 10 - 20 year run when you coaching is based on emotion, first and foremost.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #85 on: July 09, 2014, 03:59:28 PM »
Ners, you do understand that percentages tend to drop as minutes increase correct? You also do understand that there is more to to defense than blocks and steals right? You also understand that because Burton's usage rate was so high that it exaggerates his offensive stats? You also understand that there is more to offense than scoring correct? You also understand that Lockett played on a much better team against much better competition and that will drag his stats down?

Ners, why are you so offended when people disagree with you on small details that you feel the need to insult people? We all agree that Burton is going to be great, isn't that enough?

You have a history of setting really high expectations for players. That's fine until you lash out at others who don't agree and in some cases tear down the players when they don't meet your lofty expectations.

I treat your opinions with respect, I ask that you do the same.

Uhh...why am I insulting you because I have a different viewpoint than you do?  You don't hear me accusing you of insulting me?  Should I be insulted because you have a different viewpoint?  No.

My issue is the only argument you and the usual suspects - Sultan, Ammo, Tower - ever make about these things is:  There's more to the game than scoring, rebounding, stealing the basketball, blocking shots, and shooting a better percentage from 1, 2 and 3 point land.  I mean...what the hell?  Production matters in business and basketball.  I could have a totally fundamentally sound sales guy, that can articulate the features benefits of a product, and make a decent presentation - but if he can't close the deal and produce....he's worthless as an employee in his capacity.  I don't care if a player can "play to the scouting report," (GOD that B.S.) if he can't produce and the scouting report isn't leading to wins largely due to said players who are playing to the scouting report contributing NOTHING that really matters/goes toward winning.  

I'm just constantly baffled how you guys repeatedly rely on an arugment of "theres more to the game than scoring, stealing, blocking, assisting, not turning the ball over, etc."

tower912

• All American
« Reply #86 on: July 09, 2014, 03:59:47 PM »
There is something to the emotion/play harder argument.   This team did not have an emotional leader, or anyone for the team to rally behind.    Buzz foreshadowed it at the media day.   But I simply reject the idea that a coach can have the run that Buzz had in his previous 5 years and suddenly become stupid.   I can accept the argument that the team he built was not the team that he thought he was building, that this combination simply didn't fit together correctly, be it from a skill set or an emotion/effort perspective.   That the players did not develop the way he foresaw/he failed to develop the players  I thought he stuck with the Oxtule line-up too long and should have gone with Burton sooner and lived with some of his defensive lapses.   Burton at least injected some energy.   But for me, the bottom line is S-16, S-16, E-8, Big East championship.   It is not possible to have that run by accident.  
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #87 on: July 09, 2014, 04:13:29 PM »
There is something to the emotion/play harder argument.   This team did not have an emotional leader, or anyone for the team to rally behind.    Buzz foreshadowed it at the media day.   But I simply reject the idea that a coach can have the run that Buzz had in his previous 5 years and suddenly become stupid.   I can accept the argument that the team he built was not the team that he thought he was building, that this combination simply didn't fit together correctly, be it from a skill set or an emotion/effort perspective.   That the players did not develop the way he foresaw/he failed to develop the players  I thought he stuck with the Oxtule line-up too long and should have gone with Burton sooner and lived with some of his defensive lapses.   Burton at least injected some energy.   But for me, the bottom line is S-16, S-16, E-8, Big East championship.   It is not possible to have that run by accident.  

Buzz is the head coach...he's the emotional leader...if your head coach is off and being a headcase..his leadership isn't going to translate.  You don't think Jamil and Davante were beyond annoyed?  Your Jamil and you get rolled out with Derrick, Jake, Juan and Otule - when you have guys like Mayo, Gardner, Burton, JJJ, Steve Taylor, and Dawson sitting on the bench??  Huh?

When your head coach says "We are playing 4 on 5," and I'm one of the other 5 - I start to wonder, Gee coach...if you recognize and realize we are playing 4 on 5 - why would you not AT LEAST TRY THE ONLY CHANGE YOU REFUSED TO MAKE ALL YEAR IN A SEASON OF ALL KINDS OF CHANGES?  Maybe try a different starting PG and see what happens??  Hmm.  Then you basically do it for 1 game and it translates into arguably the best win of the season...and then thereafter that kid doesn't see another game of 30 minutes for the remainder of the season? 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #88 on: July 09, 2014, 04:24:14 PM »
And the irony is yes...I had Buzz's back for 5 years...and was very early on record here saying he was going to be really good...really good..might get us a National Championship/Final Four...and Sultan and others were all over you and me with mockery.

Again, I was on you because up until a year ago, the guy could do no wrong.  Any sort of criticism of him resulted in some sort of outburst from you in his defense. 

Now, after a bad year, he sucked.  You've spent *months* trashing him.  Seriously the season ended FOUR MONTHS AGO and you are still saying the SAME DAMN THINGS. 

Piece of advice.  Don't be so quick to build someone up...only to turn around and be quick to tear them down.  When things are going well, that doesn't mean they don't have faults.  And when things are going bad, that doesn't mean they don't have positive attributes. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #89 on: July 09, 2014, 04:39:45 PM »
I just, still, am baffled. I'll buy into the production argument. But, if Buzz was such an ego maniac, then, as a player, why wouldn't you learn to play the way he wanted you to? Again, can't we just admit that Buzz was crazy/egotistical/dumb AND players didn't do what they were told? Even IF burton could have played more, Buzz clearly didn't care about production over other factors. I'm going to go out on a ledge here and say that people here aren't arguing that bench players may not have been able to produce more than the starters, but we're all saying that Buzz wanted them to produce a certain way, and they weren't doing that. In my mind, that's on both Buzz (for being crazy) and the players (for not playing the way he wanted). Why is that not possible?

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #90 on: July 09, 2014, 04:40:01 PM »

Again, I was on you because up until a year ago, the guy could do no wrong.  Any sort of criticism of him resulted in some sort of outburst from you in his defense. 

Now, after a bad year, he sucked.  You've spent *months* trashing him.  Seriously the season ended FOUR MONTHS AGO and you are still saying the SAME DAMN THINGS. 

Piece of advice.  Don't be so quick to build someone up...only to turn around and be quick to tear them down.  When things are going well, that doesn't mean they don't have faults.  And when things are going bad, that doesn't mean they don't have positive attributes. 

LOL - Thank you so much Sultan..you just proved a point of mine...you used to CRITICIZE me for "having outbursts" toward anyone who was critical of Buzz....but then this last season...YOU of all people along with Tower, Guns, TAMU...got ALL OVER ME FOR CRITICIZING BUZZ!!  

So...when I defend Buzz and didn't criticize him...back in the day...you had an issue...now this past season when I was critical of Buzz...you have an issue.  

Piece of advice for you...don't be a late adopter...a guy who buys on the high..sells on the low.  But, I know that's how you roll.  Much like I was very pro Davante, Mayo, Burton and Dawson as freshman...you?  You want to take that wait and see approach..and then ultimately buy on the high.  Recall being ridiculed for saying 5 games into Davante's career - he'd be the best big man at MU since Robert Jackson...and likely better...all kinds of ridicule. Somehow I imagine if Davante was playing with Diener and D-Wade as his starting backcourt...he would have had a slightly better senior season than the one he had.

Lastly - Can't ever predict how someone handles success, more money than they ever made before in life by 10 times...yea...that can change some people...and Buzz is one of those kinds of people. He became the prima donna he wasn't when he first got the job...he did eventually wear out his welcome.  I'm sure Father Wild sensed the difference in Buzz last season, versus his first season.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #91 on: July 09, 2014, 04:49:28 PM »
I'm sure Father Wild sensed the difference in Buzz last season, versus his first season.

I'm sure the first sign was the Gucci loafers with the clod hopper Vibram soles. You can take the trash out of the trailer...

Death on call

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #92 on: July 09, 2014, 04:58:46 PM »
I just, still, am baffled. I'll buy into the production argument. But, if Buzz was such an ego maniac, then, as a player, why wouldn't you learn to play the way he wanted you to? Again, can't we just admit that Buzz was crazy/egotistical/dumb AND players didn't do what they were told? Even IF burton could have played more, Buzz clearly didn't care about production over other factors. I'm going to go out on a ledge here and say that people here aren't arguing that bench players may not have been able to produce more than the starters, but we're all saying that Buzz wanted them to produce a certain way, and they weren't doing that. In my mind, that's on both Buzz (for being crazy) and the players (for not playing the way he wanted). Why is that not possible?

Agree that many here don't disagree that the bench could have performed better than the starters..other than the handful of usual suspects...but as far as the bench "not producing in a certain Buzz might have wanted," well....when the two guys you played more minutes than any two other guys on the roster are doing virtually NOTHING to help you win (one more than the other)...then Buzz clearly was on cloud 9 as to what those starters were "producing" as it certainly wasn't translating into any victories.

I have ZERO doubt Buzz played both Derrick and Jake as much as he did out of stubbornness and knowing that some in the fanbase were skeptical of that, growing uneasy over that...and Buzz like he's always - needed a chip on his shoulder...and used that...and tried to prove he could win with those guys...and...it backfired...major proportions. I have no doubt Buzz's ego told him he could win with those guys..and in so doing could give a big F You to those who dared to question him.  But..as I said..doubled down on Derrick and Jake...and lost big time..perhaps it even cost him his job?

Missing the NIT was beyond embarassing, yet what we "earned" to use a Buzzism.  You get what you earn.  Coach like sh$t..get a sh$tty outcome.  There was plenty of talent on that roster to win...and win big...

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #93 on: July 09, 2014, 05:13:21 PM »
Agree that many here don't disagree that the bench could have performed better than the starters..other than the handful of usual suspects...but as far as the bench "not producing in a certain Buzz might have wanted," well....when the two guys you played more minutes than any two other guys on the roster are doing virtually NOTHING to help you win (one more than the other)...then Buzz clearly was on cloud 9 as to what those starters were "producing" as it certainly wasn't translating into any victories.

I have ZERO doubt Buzz played both Derrick and Jake as much as he did out of stubbornness and knowing that some in the fanbase were skeptical of that, growing uneasy over that...and Buzz like he's always - needed a chip on his shoulder...and used that...and tried to prove he could win with those guys...and...it backfired...major proportions. I have no doubt Buzz's ego told him he could win with those guys..and in so doing could give a big F You to those who dared to question him.  But..as I said..doubled down on Derrick and Jake...and lost big time..perhaps it even cost him his job?

Missing the NIT was beyond embarassing, yet what we "earned" to use a Buzzism.  You get what you earn.  Coach like sh$t..get a sh$tty outcome.  There was plenty of talent on that roster to win...and win big...

So, we've got half of the equation. Still no middle ground on thinking that the players themselves have a hand in this, regardless of whether or not Buzz used more-than-questionable methods?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #94 on: July 09, 2014, 05:20:19 PM »
This gives me an idea
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 05:24:43 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

brandx

« Reply #95 on: July 09, 2014, 05:26:32 PM »
This gives me an idea

I see what you did there - made yourself the "cool one" ;)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #96 on: July 09, 2014, 05:29:45 PM »
I see what you did there - made yourself the "cool one" ;)

Well I did it because I'm a blonde bearded man, but it is an added bonus  ;D
TAMU

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #97 on: July 09, 2014, 05:31:01 PM »
This gives me an idea

LOL - Well done.  Perhaps now we can argue over who should have been labeled who?  Ahh good old Brew City 77...and his genius...sure wish he'd come back to this board and regal us all with more great insight...such as that which he provided in my signature.  But like Buzz..when the going got tough here and he had to eat a little crow...Brew picked up his ball and went to Brew City Ball Forum.  But, no doubt Brew still reads here as this board is far more vibrant than his new adopted home.

brandx

« Reply #98 on: July 09, 2014, 05:37:49 PM »
Well I did it because I'm a blonde bearded man, but it is an added bonus  ;D

On 2nd thought, maybe comparing yourself with the "crazy" Baldwin isn't too cool. :-\

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #99 on: July 09, 2014, 05:50:02 PM »
Ners,

This is what it seems to me you are saying:

1.We both thought Buzz Williams was a good man and a good coach. Therefore we liked him and defended him him against his detractors.

2.Last year YOU discovered that he was neither. He changed, is now a horrible person and knows nothing about coaching basketball.

3. Since we both supported him when we thought he was a good man and a good coach, we must now trash him because you have decided he is neither.

Sorry, but I don't agree with #2 so I won't go along with #3.

My position is clear. I think Buzz did a bad job as a GM last year. The team he went to war with wasn't very good. Not having Vander, Jameel and Duane was part of the reason. Steve Taylor Jr's step backwards was another. But it's still ultimately on Buzz. As for coaching, I thought he coached like he always did, but less talent equaled less wins.

You are free to disagree with my assessment. Come up with all kinds of reasons why we didn't win more often - even go so far as to accuse Buzz of throwing games. I remain unconvinced of your position.

Finally, people are not stocks to be traded. The key to business partnerships, friendships, marriages, etc., isn't to buy low, sell high. It's sticking with people through the good times and bad. Buzz can be fairly criticized for bailing when things got rocky. So can you.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 06:02:32 PM by Lennys Tap »