[Today at 06:17:14 PM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:59:32 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 03:28:57 PM]

Arby's National Roast Beef Day Deal by Jay Bee
[Today at 03:22:56 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo's Trade  (Read 18403 times)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: Wojo's Trade
« Reply #75 on: July 06, 2014, 12:28:27 PM »
If you weren't there to help him in some fashion, you might have well have been a leper.

ipso facto

Death on call

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #76 on: July 06, 2014, 01:30:54 PM »
So Buzz has now lost 4 players, including his two best from last year (Emelogu and Thompson).  VT is going to be really bad again next year.

I get the feeling had he stayed JJJ and STj transfers would have been just the START of a mass exodus from our program.  If so, the "wojo trade" has worked so far simply because Buzz was not here to watch us go to five or six returning players plus incoming recruits.

+1

STJ and JJJ were only the ones we knew about. I think there may have been a few others who would have packed up and left.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #77 on: July 06, 2014, 01:35:48 PM »
Keefe: How dare you suggest that you have heard rumors that things may be improving at MU with the kick out of the downhome lonesome cowboy. There were about 10 or more people on this board who worshipped the ground he walked on, felt he could do no wrong, knew that what Buzz felt was best, and in him they trusted. Now that more and more comes out, those same people have suddenly stopped that worship and/or gone underground with those feelings. Those people know who they are, but you, Keefe, should be ashamed of yourself for spreading information that could be contrary to their life beliefs about the phony downhome lonesome cowboy.

Hi Willie  ;D

We moved on. Happily slurping Wojo. Glad to know that you will keep feeding Buzz' ego by bringing him up over and over again
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #78 on: July 06, 2014, 01:45:46 PM »
My thoughts on Wojo so far:

Retaining current players: I was expecting 8/9 of to stay (with JJJ being the 1), so Wojo exceeded expectations

Retaining recruits: I had heard (perhaps incorrectly) that Wojo had relationships with 3/4 of the recruits (with Pierce being the 1) so I expected him to retain 3. So he didn't make expectations here.

Retaining future recruits: Keeping Noskowiak and Flory was just gravy

Replacing losses: When we lost 3 recruits, I did not expect Wojo to be able to find 3 quality players to replace them with. He absolutely did. He filled our biggest need with Carlino, and got some future talent with Levin and Ellenson (agree that people may be underselling him). I think we will be thin this season but 15-16 could be special.

Future Recruits: Jury is still out. I like the Heldt pick up. Skilled big men were not something we routinely found during the last regime. I like the progress he has made with the Ellenson family. If that translates out to a commit, I'll be sold.

Public Image: Wojo absolutely won the presser. He has gotten it right every time he has made an appearance. Love his vision for Marquette, seems like he has a plan, and appreciates the culture.

All in all, I'd give him an A/A- right now
TAMU

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #79 on: July 06, 2014, 03:38:54 PM »
Buzzard took it out on the wrong people, the day to day people.  He had no need for the little guy any longer.  If you weren't there to help him in some fashion, you might have well have been a leper.

Sounds familiar
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #80 on: July 06, 2014, 09:59:18 PM »
Well written "dgies9156" I agree. Although, all the years I backed MU Basketball, I have no idea of what to
expect from this years team.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #81 on: July 06, 2014, 10:20:47 PM »
Well written "dgies9156" I agree. Although, all the years I backed MU Basketball, I have no idea of what to
expect from this years team.

Expect much better than last season.  I'll be shocked if we aren't an NCAA tourney team.  Mayo and Burton very well can and should be 1st Team All Big East worthy.  Carlino will help a lot.  Duane, Dawson, JJJ all a year older, stronger, better adjusted to college game/life.  Steve Taylor should have a nice year.  Juan will provide good hustle/spark minutes. Luke Fischer should be a serviceable big once January rolls around.

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #82 on: July 06, 2014, 10:30:14 PM »
Expect much better than last season.  I'll be shocked if we aren't an NCAA tourney team.  Mayo and Burton very well can and should be 1st Team All Big East worthy.  Carlino will help a lot.  Duane, Dawson, JJJ all a year older, stronger, better adjusted to college game/life.  Steve Taylor should have a nice year.  Juan will provide good hustle/spark minutes. Luke Fischer should be a serviceable big once January rolls around.

I agree with you on these points and will add in that we will benefit greatly from a coach that has Basketball Common Sense. Our talent is as good ,and we are as deep, as anyone in the Big East. I am very confident that the playing time and rotations will be more appropriate this year.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #83 on: July 07, 2014, 09:44:14 AM »
Because I just don't think he is as good as his reputation.  I mean, I was thrilled during the #donedeal episode about Smart, and I will admit wasn't terribly happy about the Wojo rumors at first.  But Wojo has done almost everything right.  He kept everyone around.  He managed some big recruiting wins on the transfer front.  He looks to be putting together a real good class.  I think he fits the Marquette culture much better than Buzz did.  All that needs to be done is to show that he can win on the court. 

I don't think I could have stated this any better.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

feedback