[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by cheebs09
[Today at 04:00:16 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Poll

Which meme is better?

____ is evil and must be destroyed
162 (83.1%)
UDPride
33 (16.9%)

Total Members Voted: 193

Voting closed: May 31, 2014, 11:01:45 AM

Author Topic: Good Clean American Fun Regional Rd 3 - 1 vs 8  (Read 8514 times)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Good Clean American Fun Regional Rd 3 - 1 vs 8
« on: May 29, 2014, 11:01:45 AM »
The number 1 number 1 shook off the baggage that was Steel Magnolias to romp to victory over the Catholic 7 in round 2.  So now, one must wonder if UDPride is evil and will be destroyed.  UDPride itself had a bit of a cakewalk over fly fishing, apparently some lakes opened and all the fishing meme folks were out catching muskies.  So will the interloper UDPride be destroyed or will evil triumph over good because good is dumb?

____ is evil and must be destroyed
Easily the longest running meme in Scoop, in fact it seems to pre-date Scoop.  It is also a crossover meme to twitter.  The opponent of record on game day receives their treatment in this meme.  In the search for information on this meme however, a long dead horror may have been uncovered.  It has been reported the genesis of the meme was a line from the super basketball-related not to mention macho movie Steel Magnolias.  I'll give you a minute to soak that in.

UDPride
The name of a Dayton fanboy poster and the forum for Dayton basketball fans, this meme flashed into existence during the remaking of the Big East conference.  What gave this meme sticking power was the insanity present on the Dayton board and the absolute certainty that UDPride had that Xavier and Butler would NEVER leave the A10 for the Big East.  Ooops
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GGGG

• All American
Re: Good Clean American Fun Regional Rd 3 - 1 vs 8
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 11:34:40 AM »
UDPride cannot go down this early.  I submit this...probably my favorite post ever.  Not only was it so completely and fully wrong, but it was authored with a perfect mix of misplaced arrogance and naivety.

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=34539.msg422884#msg422884

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 11:57:42 AM »

Death on call

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 12:02:35 PM »
UDPride cannot go down this early.  I submit this...probably my favorite post ever.  Not only was it so completely and fully wrong, but it was authored with a perfect mix of misplaced arrogance and naivety.

I especially enjoyed the part where the A10 is a stable ship in the sea of chaos.  Apparently they were sailing the Hunley out to sea
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 12:09:40 PM »
Arrogance and naïveté are usually mutually exclusive

Not in this case...

Misplaced arrogance = UDPride had an inflated sense of where the A10 stood in the grand scheme of things. 

Examples:

"You wont be raiding the A10, but the A10 might raid you -- if you're that fortunate."

""There may or may not be a collective empowerment between the Big East and A10, but if there is, it will be on the A10's terms."

Naivety - UDPride did not understand the forces that were driving conference realignment.  ie, money was a bigger factor than stability.

Example: 

"More money wont put them over the top because theyve been stretching a dollar all their lives. That's their normal."

"While you guys were sitting around counting the checks the last 6-7 years, the A10 was busy trying to position themselves as the best basketball-only conference."

And the BEST part about this is that he said all this on November 28, 2012.  And it was only a couple weeks later that the initial rumors of A10 members departing for the BE began.  So not only was he wrong, he was wrong very quickly.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 01:06:44 PM »

Not in this case...

Misplaced arrogance = UDPride had an inflated sense of where the A10 stood in the grand scheme of things. 

Examples:

"You wont be raiding the A10, but the A10 might raid you -- if you're that fortunate."

""There may or may not be a collective empowerment between the Big East and A10, but if there is, it will be on the A10's terms."

Naivety - UDPride did not understand the forces that were driving conference realignment.  ie, money was a bigger factor than stability.

Example: 

"More money wont put them over the top because theyve been stretching a dollar all their lives. That's their normal."

"While you guys were sitting around counting the checks the last 6-7 years, the A10 was busy trying to position themselves as the best basketball-only conference."

And the BEST part about this is that he said all this on November 28, 2012.  And it was only a couple weeks later that the initial rumors of A10 members departing for the BE began.  So not only was he wrong, he was wrong very quickly.

I have to admit it was amusing to hear his balloon pop. Hubris often falls hard.

Death on call

🏀

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 01:17:09 PM »

The whole UDPride message board still doesn't understand the forces. They're still discussing academics, their arena, their non-basketball successes and relationships.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 04:23:26 PM »
It has been reported the genesis of the meme was a line from the super basketball-related not to mention macho movie Steel Magnolias.  I'll give you a minute to soak that in.

This made me unhappier than finding out there was no Santa Claus.

and the kicker

I have not yet decided whether to fully embrace the Steel Magnolias genesis and just say, "f*ck it".
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 05:22:19 PM by Henry Sugar »
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 08:13:56 PM »

Nay, it should always go down.

NEVER should a UD related item get farther than the first round (much less qualify).
SS Marquette

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 10:31:45 PM »

NEVER should a UD related item get farther than the first round (much less qualify).

sold me.  was gonna vote for UDpride but your logic is infallible

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 07:51:23 AM »
This made me unhappier than finding out there was no Santa Claus.

and the kicker

I have not yet decided whether to fully embrace the Steel Magnolias genesis and just say, "f*ck it".

Please tell me you had to scour the internet, sell bitcoins, and trade unspeakable favors in the darkweb to acquire those GIFs.  If you had them on hand or made them I may lose all faith in humanity.

PS.  Whiskey Tango Foxtrot is Shirley McClain doing in that bottom GIF?

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2014, 08:43:18 AM »
Please tell me you had to scour the internet, sell bitcoins, and trade unspeakable favors in the darkweb to acquire those GIFs.  If you had them on hand or made them I may lose all faith in humanity.

PS.  Whiskey Tango Foxtrot is Shirley McClain doing in that bottom GIF?

The first two were really easy to find. The last one took a little bit more searching.

Shirley McClain is throwing dice, son! If I remember my Steel Magnolias plot correctly, the movie involves a complicated gambling ring where McClain acts the part of the heavy. Sally Field is her cutthroat enforcer. Julia Roberts wants to get out of the game but needs one last big score. Dolly Parton is the hooker with a heart of gold. I'm pretty sure the movie ends like this...

A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 11:01:41 AM »

That is a very sound counterpoint.

feedback