Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Package Deal  (Read 31323 times)

injuryBug

• Team Captain
Re: Package Deal
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2014, 12:35:01 PM »
Lots of down time at these events.  If you have played aau ball since middle school you probably have run into eachother 3-4 times per year plus playing for usa basketball and other national camps.
Back 20-30 years ago guys met at the badger state games or in city summer leagues and became friends jsut the same.
Social media they can talk each day without paying a long distance phone call like back in the day

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2014, 12:56:43 PM »
Niles North:  The alma mater of Kenosha Warrior!!!!

V for Vikings
V for Victory

If you are from Chicago why the hell are you living in freakin Kenosha?

Death on call

ry3bread

« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2014, 01:46:06 PM »
Stone also retweeted this guy's response:

"@EricDBertram: This would seem to rule out #mubb RT @EvanDaniels Diamond Stone told me that he and Malik Newman are definitely a package deal."

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2014, 02:04:07 PM »
So these guys hang out together at AAU tournaments and decide they have to attend the same college lol. Unreal...I could see if youve known each other or have a history, but otherwise it's kind of amusing to me.

Sounds like you're simply unaware of their history.

For starters, extended time together with USA basketball.. multiple times in Colorado and as U16 champions in Uruguay.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2014, 02:05:02 PM »
Sounds like you're simply unaware of their history.

For starters, extended time together with USA basketball.. multiple times in Colorado and as U16 champions in Uruguay.

So JB, we're out of the Stone sweepstakes?

Death on call

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2014, 02:17:23 PM »
So these guys hang out together at AAU tournaments and decide they have to attend the same college lol. Unreal...I could see if youve known each other or have a history, but otherwise it's kind of amusing to me. Wojo should just focus on Ellenson and cut his losses with Stone now.

they played together for team USA.

We aren't getting Newman so if Stone really wants to play with him it will be at Kentucky or one of the other elites.

ThatDude

• Starter
« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2014, 02:26:02 PM »
What we need to do is via social media try to persuade Newman to at least take a look at Marquette.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2014, 02:28:00 PM »

We have been for a long time.  But this is the first time we've more or less heard it from the horse's mouth, without him actually saying it.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

NotBuzzWilliams

• Starter
« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2014, 02:37:09 PM »
What we need to do is via social media try to persuade Newman to at least take a look at Marquette.

I've got an extra Corvette laying around.  Maybe he'll want it?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2014, 02:49:35 PM »
They are teenagers. They'll say and do all kinds of things. If they want to hang together, or attend college together, then that's what they should do.

We certainly wouldn't have been upset if Stone and Duane had said they were a package deal and both chose Marquette.

I won't lose even a second of sleep about a teenager's college decision. I have no control over it. If Stone comes to Marquette, fantastic. And if he doesn't, I'm confident Wojo will bring in a good class.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2014, 02:51:45 PM »
We have been for a long time.  But this is the first time we've more or less heard it from the horse's mouth, without him actually saying it.

Well, hell, Stone isn't all that good anyhow!

Death on call

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2014, 04:02:24 PM »
Well, hell, Stone isn't all that good anyhow!

Yeah I heard he has attitude issues.  Or doesn't try hard on every single possession.  Or is lazy.  Or something like that.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2014, 04:57:55 PM »
Wojo has probably cooled on him.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2014, 06:50:38 PM »

Still in play.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2014, 07:02:40 PM »
Still in play.

For Diamond Stone? We need him. He's the best basketball player ever!

Death on call

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2014, 07:05:41 PM »

Kid puts in maximum effort on every play.  High motor.  Just the kind of kid we want at Marquette.  Tough.  A true Warrior.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2014, 07:06:49 PM »
Still in play.

So this means that despite these 2 *saying* they are a package deal, they may not be after all, as it typically (although not always) turns out in these cases?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2014, 07:14:53 PM »
JB

What I have read, all of it right here in the irrefutable, unassailable, and august pages of Scoop, is that Stone lapped up Bert's snake oil but Papa was a Rolling Stone saw through the Hillbilly's pretenses for what he really was and was therefore against Marquette. How has Bert's skidaddle affected MU's recruitment effort?

Death on call

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2014, 08:28:30 PM »

Great idea.  Please contact the UltimateWarrior, Illinois fans, and Mizzou fans for tips on how best to accomplish this.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2014, 09:24:45 PM »

I know you're kidding. But to put things in perspective. Kansas and Duke had 5 star kids surrounding the top two kids in the NBA draft and they both lost early in the tourney. Obviously I'd like for him to attend Marquette, but what they really need is good players to stay 4 years, not bail once playing time isn't immediately available. He sounds like a 1 year player, not the end of world if he goes somewhere else.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2014, 10:07:19 PM »
MU definitely still in play. Not saying it will happen. But we are without a doubt still one of the leaders.

I wouldn't put much stock in this package deal. They would love to play together, but if they don't agree on the school, they will split without hesitation.

MU, UNC are the leaders.

UCLA, UConn, and UW are trailing but in the conversation.

Duke has dropped out.

UK is more interested in Ivan Rabb, Cheick Diallo, Stephen Zimmerman, and Skal Labissiere. If they strike out on three or more of them, you gotta think they will be targeting Stone hard.

Stone is a smart kid. He is enjoying his recruiting process and will let continue for awhile from what I am hearing.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 10:18:02 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #71 on: May 18, 2014, 08:31:15 AM »

UK is more interested in Ivan Rabb, Cheick Diallo, Stephen Zimmerman, and Skal Labissiere. If they strike out on three or more of them, you gotta think they will be targeting Stone hard.

I have nothing concrete to back this up, but judging from top ranked recruiting classes year after year,  I think it's very safe to say Kentucky rarely, if ever, especially under Calipari, strikes out on two or more of their top targets, let alone three or more.   So if you're correct about they're top targets, Stone won't be heading there anyway.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #72 on: May 18, 2014, 08:36:42 AM »
Agree with many other posters that kids talk big about package deals, but rarely does it actually happen.  And I can't think of a more stupid reason to pick your college based on what one of your AAU circuit or however they know each other, buddy's choose.  I know these high level kids like Stone and Newman are only using college as a springboard for the NBA, but it would still be a galactically stupid reason for a school choice. 

What happened to the days when top players could be friends, but at the same time, badly wanted bragging rights because they're team was better?   Hate all the kum ba yah crap nowadays in sports, be friends outside the lines, inside, try to be the best and elevate your team over other top players and their teams.

ThatDude

• Starter
« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2014, 08:55:35 AM »
Agree with many other posters that kids talk big about package deals, but rarely does it actually happen.  And I can't think of a more stupid reason to pick your college based on what one of your AAU circuit or however they know each other, buddy's choose.  I know these high level kids like Stone and Newman are only using college as a springboard for the NBA, but it would still be a galactically stupid reason for a school choice. 

What happened to the days when top players could be friends, but at the same time, badly wanted bragging rights because they're team was better?   Hate all the kum ba yah crap nowadays in sports, be friends outside the lines, inside, try to be the best and elevate your team over other top players and their teams.

This is 2014.  High school basketball season takes a backseat to AAU. More scouts and better competition in the AAU circuit pal.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2014, 09:01:23 AM »
This is 2014.  High school basketball season takes a backseat to AAU. More scouts and better competition in the AAU circuit pal.

What's your point "pal"?  

feedback