Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Carlino a Warrior  (Read 34703 times)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: Carlino a Warrior
« Reply #75 on: April 26, 2014, 11:02:04 AM »
much better than Jack Thomas, that is for sure.

So, he is a rich man's Jake Thomas?

Death on call

Norm

• All American
« Reply #76 on: April 26, 2014, 11:08:44 AM »
Carlino and Duane can play together, the odd man out is Derrick Wilson, JJJ might play less minutes as well.  Carlino has done it already, the other two discussed will have to earn there minutes.
Good pick-up, much better than Jack Thomas, that is for sure.
I'm not so sure Derrick is the odd man out in this situation. Carlino will be the starter at the 1, otherwise he does not come here. Remember, he is leaving BYU because he won't start there next year - he's not going to transfer to another school unless he's going to be the main guy at PG. My guess is Derrick will be the primary backup, not Duane, as he plays decent D (not great, but good) and does not turn the ball over much - which is what you want in a backup. Carlino's minutes will definitely affect Duane's minute next year, in that Duane will play much less than had Carlino not transferred here.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #77 on: April 26, 2014, 11:11:47 AM »
I wish I had a Helicopter to take me to work vs sitting in traffic every morning. This is a huge hit to Duane's ego. He came to Marquette to play point guard. Would have started last year without injury. Should have started this year. I think you will see this Carlino as a 2 guard. Should free him up to shoot.  Either that or they will play a mix of him and duane on the floor at the same time. If this guy takes big minutes from DUane it is a huge mistake. Huge.. I hope Duane can handle it or it may be the start of a rough relationship with the new coach.
Agreed wih your points and also Wojo is missing the fact that Duane's success will play an important role in the recruitment of Diamond Stone. The risk reward on this particular is adversely skewed

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #78 on: April 26, 2014, 11:14:07 AM »
I'm not so sure Derrick is the odd man out in this situation. Carlino will be the starter at the 1, otherwise he does not come here. Remember, he is leaving BYU because he won't start there next year - he's not going to transfer to another school unless he's going to be the main guy at PG. My guess is Derrick will be the primary backup, not Duane, as he plays decent D (not great, but good) and does not turn the ball over much - which is what you want in a backup. Carlino's minutes will definitely affect Duane's minute next year, in that Duane will play much less than had Carlino not transferred here.

I just think it moves Duane to the 2 to split time with JJ and Mayo slides to the 3.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #79 on: April 26, 2014, 11:23:17 AM »
I just think it moves Duane to the 2 to split time with JJ and Mayo slides to the 3.
Doesn't Burton play the 3?

Once Fisher is eligible, I can see Fisher at the 5, Taylor at the 4, Burton at the 3, Mayo at 2 and Carlino at 1. Juan will probably be the main backup for the 3-5 spots. Derrick could be the main backup for Carlino, with John and Duane splitting the remaining minutes. As for Duane playing the 2, isn't that more of a fit for JJJ and even Dawson? Again, we will have quite the logjam there now and someone is going to be the odd man out, and it might not be who most here expect (Derrick). And where does Sandy Cohen fit in in all of this?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #80 on: April 26, 2014, 11:24:58 AM »

Not sure this affects anyone's minutes beyond Derrick. What this does for the TEAM is that they have a lot more options and looks which is a good thing. Carlino is a force multiplier who will add complexity for opponents to game plan.

At the end of the day, with 10 guys on the roster, you get the best available talent this late in the recruiting season. Matt Carlino is an exceptional talent who brings some important intangibles that were missing on last year's Marquette roster. There is no down side to this signing and I should think that players would welcome the addition of someone who will make them a better team. If anyone complains ask them how they like 17-15...

Death on call

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #81 on: April 26, 2014, 11:25:29 AM »
Agreed wih your points and also Wojo is missing the fact that Duane's success will play an important role in the recruitment of Diamond Stone. The risk reward on this particular is adversely skewed

So we should decide playing time based on what it may do to the thoughts of players we are recruiting and we should decide who we bring in based on whether there is a talented player on the roster at that same position that it could take minutes from?  Man, there are some revolutionary basketball ideas being thrown around on this board.

News flash:  Duane Wilson and Diamond Stone are 2 years apart.  They are not related.  If Diamond Stone wants to come here he will come regardless of whether Duane is the happiest person in the world or miserable.  If the lure of a blue blood who gives Diamond the best chance to take 1 year, have success, and go to the NBA is enough, Diamond will be at a school like Kentucky.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #82 on: April 26, 2014, 11:48:15 AM »
Doesn't Burton play the 3?

Once Fisher is eligible, I can see Fisher at the 5, Taylor at the 4, Burton at the 3, Mayo at 2 and Carlino at 1. Juan will probably be the main backup for the 3-5 spots. Derrick could be the main backup for Carlino, with John and Duane splitting the remaining minutes. As for Duane playing the 2, isn't that more of a fit for JJJ and even Dawson? Again, we will have quite the logjam there now and someone is going to be the odd man out, and it might not be who most here expect (Derrick). And where does Sandy Cohen fit in in all of this?

Sandy Cohen is the 11th man on this team right now, and truly could use a year as a red-shirt.  Physically he has a long way to go.  Like his size, lets see how he plays this summer but I just
do not see it.  I do not see Mayo at the 2, not quick enough and last year he played more at the 3 which gave him an advantage.  I see Carlino, Duane, Mayo, Burton and Fisher.  Taylor will
play tons of minutes as a back-up to both the 4 and 5.  Cohen, Derrick and Juan art 11,10,9 on the roster.  Wojo owes nothing to the returning players, they will have to earn minutes as well.
JJJ and Dawson will be subs getting time.  Duke never has a full roster, they play maybe 8 players and lets them play.  The Buzz defense, offense crap is over.  Earn your time in practice, who
knows what will happen the next 6 months.  If Duane wants to play 30 minutes a game then have a great summer, prove you deserve it.  We know what the other players bring, Duane is the
only one we do not.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #83 on: April 26, 2014, 12:51:30 PM »
With only one true center (Fischer) and only one other true big (Taylor). I would expect them to spend most of their time at the five. The four will be some rotation of Anderson, Burton, and Johnson. It will be up to Cohen/Mayo/Johnson/Duane/Dawson to fill up the 2 and the 3. There will be plenty of minutes to go around, especially before Luke is eligible.

I could see something like this:

1: Carlino (30 mins) Derrick (10 mins)
2: Mayo (15 mins) Duane (10 mins) Dawson (5 mins)
3: Johnson (20 mins) Mayo (15 mins) Cohen (5 mins)
4: Burton (25 minutes) Anderson (15 mins)
5: Fischer (20 mins) Taylor (20 mins)

I think the 1/4/5 are pretty much set (barring another commit). The minutes for the 2/3 spots are completely up for grabs. Whoever is the best will get the minutes.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

The Sultan of Silly

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #84 on: April 26, 2014, 03:57:23 PM »
A kid with this arsenal of talent deserves only 10 minutes a game and hasn't proved anything yet?????   ?-(

A smart coach would push the ball up with Duane at the 1, JJJ at the 2 and Burton at the 3 Taylor at the 4 and Fisher at the 5. 

Dawson, Mayo and Cohen would also get minutes.  Small but speed kills line-up.

8 deep rotation with Anderson, Derrick Wilson emergency players on the bench (Anderson playing more until Fisher eligible).   

Carlino subtracts more than he adds as Duane Wilson is a very special talent and will probably only play a year or two at MU before being ready for the NBA....take away his minutes and him and his dad will have him on the next train out of town to a school that will play him 30 minutes a game as too much money is at stake for someone with his NBA talent.

Marquette needs to stay the uptempo urban based team as we cannot compete with trying to look and play like Wisconsin in Wisconsin as they have a monopoly on those type of traditional players that can help you win with that style of play at the highest level. 

Wojo with this move appears to want to make us Duke of Milwaukee with a lot of traditional role players which just won't work and will push us back to a level more with UW-Milwaukee than Duke. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9TxMYxKiEI

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #85 on: April 26, 2014, 04:03:08 PM »
With only one true center (Fischer) and only one other true big (Taylor). I would expect them to spend most of their time at the five. The four will be some rotation of Anderson, Burton, and Johnson. It will be up to Cohen/Mayo/Johnson/Duane/Dawson to fill up the 2 and the 3. There will be plenty of minutes to go around, especially before Luke is eligible.

I think the 1/4/5 are pretty much set (barring another commit). The minutes for the 2/3 spots are completely up for grabs. Whoever is the best will get the minutes.

Where does this "Duane at the two spot" comes from. Just because of Carlino, Duane and Dawson are not seen as point guards next year? Wow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #86 on: April 26, 2014, 04:08:04 PM »
A kid with this arsenal of talent deserves only 10 minutes a game and hasn't proved anything yet?????   ?-(

A smart coach would push the ball up with Duane at the 1, JJJ at the 2 and Burton at the 3 Taylor at the 4 and Fisher at the 5. 

8 deep rotation with Anderson, Derrick Wilson emergency players on the bench (Anderson playing more until Fisher eligible).   

Carlino subtracts more than he adds as Duane Wilson is a very special talent and will probably only play a year or two at MU before being ready for the NBA....take away his minutes and him and his dad will have him on the next train out of town to a school that will play him 30 minutes a game as too much money is at stake for someone with his NBA talent.

Marquette needs to stay the uptempo urban based team as we cannot compete with trying to look and play like Wisconsin in Wisconsin as they have a monopoly on those type of traditional players that can help you win with that style of play at the highest level. 

Wojo with this move appears to want to make us Duke of Milwaukee with a lot of traditional role players which just won't work and will push us back to a level more with UW-Milwaukee than Duke. 

Lol
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #87 on: April 26, 2014, 04:15:13 PM »
Duane is a two that Buzz hoped could be made a point. My guess is Anderson is back to playing backup 4.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #88 on: April 26, 2014, 04:18:27 PM »
Carlino averaged 27.3 minutes a game last year. He probably does not average more than 25 next year.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #89 on: April 26, 2014, 04:22:33 PM »

Unless Carlino is a cancer or someone transfers because of a perceived lack of minutes, he does not subtract more than he adds.  If Du Wilson gets injured or doesn't turn out as well as hoped, we are in exactly the same situation at point that we were last year.  I don't see having depth at the guard position as a subtraction.  Without Otule/Gardner/Wilson the guards are going to be key this upcoming season.  Adding depth is not a subtraction.

If we could find a serviceable big who can play right away this team will be looking good.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #90 on: April 26, 2014, 04:29:36 PM »
I envision this year's club like the 2005-06 Villanova club but with less experience, little proven offensive prowess and rebounding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005%E2%80%9306_Villanova_Wildcats_men's_basketball_team

Carlino can be Nardi
Duane/Dawson is/are Lowry
Dawson is Ray
Mayo is Foye
JJJ is Clark
Cohen is Anderson
Deonte is Sumpter
Steve can be Dante Cunningham (until Luke qualifies)
Derrick is Benn
Juan is Fraser

SS Marquette

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #91 on: April 26, 2014, 04:37:59 PM »

So you think that Dawson plays 5 minutes a game at SG and that's his playing time for next year? I think if that happens he will be a mid season transfer. I wonder if Derrick is considering transferring? He played 30 minutes agame last year and to be cut down to 10 would be a big slap in the face.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #92 on: April 26, 2014, 04:39:51 PM »
So you think that Dawson plays 5 minutes a game at SG and that's his playing time for next year? I think if that happens he will be a mid season transfer. I wonder if Derrick is considering transferring? He played 30 minutes agame last year and to be cut down to 10 would be a big slap in the face.

Realistically he shouldn't be upset.  Derrick's skill set is only worth 10 minutes a game. 

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #93 on: April 26, 2014, 05:43:56 PM »
Derrick transferring would...be...a...huge...no loss!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #94 on: April 26, 2014, 05:46:18 PM »
Carlino in action photos:

His line that game?
32 min
2-10 FG
1-4 3PT
2-2 FT
2 reb
4 ast
2 stl
5 TO
2 PF
7 PTS

It was a really good MU team that year but let the numbers speak for themselves.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 05:50:01 PM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #95 on: April 26, 2014, 05:54:45 PM »
Carlino in action photos:

His line that game?
32 min
2-10 FG
1-4 3PT
2-2 FT
2 reb
4 ast
2 stl
5 TO
2 PF
7 PTS

It was a really good MU team that year but let the numbers speak for themselves.

That was 3 years ago and we beat them by about 30.  But yeah, let's draw conclusions based on one game.

People love to complain and be miserable here.  People would be unhappy with LeBron on the roster because it might stunt Burton's growth as a player.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #96 on: April 26, 2014, 06:06:04 PM »
The thing I see in the pictures is Junior actively covering BYU's then PG.  'Nuff said.  Welcome Matt.

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #97 on: April 26, 2014, 06:36:25 PM »
No hate for Matt, just hope he brings more and harder to this team than he did against a tourney team in MU.

Because that's what we'll need from him to win the BE and head into the Tourney.
SS Marquette

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #98 on: April 26, 2014, 06:52:09 PM »

Agree with this analysis.

WarhawkWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #99 on: April 26, 2014, 07:26:23 PM »
Who the heck will the bigs practice against.  Mac better get in shape.

feedback