[Today at 02:52:17 PM]

Recruiting as of 6/15/24 by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 12:37:36 PM]

Ben Gold's summer by MUbiz
[Today at 09:44:26 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[June 17, 2024, 08:36:32 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Carlino a Warrior  (Read 34818 times)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: Carlino a Warrior
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2014, 04:42:31 PM »
You can never have too many PGs.

For reference, see the senior seasons of Dominic James and Travis Diener.  DJ's team had Final Four potential until his late-season injury, and then didn't get past the second round.  Diener's team looked like an NCAA team until he got injured and then lost to teams like St. Louis, TCU and ultimately Western Michigan in the NIT first round.

I suspect we will see plenty of 3 or even 4-guard lineups next season.  Seemed to work OK when we had the Amigos.

I couldn't agree more. Crean got caught with his pants down with Diener and those stupid contact drills he ran. The Western Michigan debacle was a low moment.

Some of the most fun basketball played in the past 40 years has been Jay Wright's 4 guard sets. Of course they were stupendous talents but it was a joy to watch them on both ends of the court. Hopefully we can approximate some of that success and excitement this season.

Death on call

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2014, 04:50:43 PM »
I totally agree with the need for attitude.  That was almost completely absent last year.

Yep.  We saw some from Todd and Deonte, but you won't go far if the only guys who want to take the game over come off the bench....

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2014, 04:52:27 PM »
Next season is shaping up to be a reverse of this season.  A lot of backcourt options but more limited in the frontcourt.

My guess is having a better backcourt with more options will equal more court success versus this past season.  Having a good frontcourt is wonderful if you have the guards.

We now have the guards.  Would be good to get a big who can at least play defense/rebound if Taylor and Fischer get into foul trouble.

MaymonsPops

• Walk-On
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2014, 04:54:56 PM »
I've heard that his biggest issue at BYU was being expected to be "the next Fredette"...and trying to live up to those expectatons.

Sounds like a change of scenery might do him a world of good.

The only person who expected him to be "the next Fredette" was himself (and probably his father). He wore out the fan base some by never seeing a shot he didn't like and trying to be Jimmer. The problem was he isn't Jimmer, there were more talented players and better shooters on his team last year (Haws, Collinsworth). I suppose it's not the worst to actually have someone who wants to take a shot on our team, but I just hope all you ra ra ra guys aren't the same guys who are cursing him the first time he shoots us out of a game by going 2-18 with ~8 ill advised jumpers.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2014, 05:02:56 PM »
the first time he shoots us out of a game by going 2-18 with ~8 ill advised jumpers.

You mean, like last year??

Death on call

MU82

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2014, 05:04:49 PM »
The only person who expected him to be "the next Fredette" was himself (and probably his father). He wore out the fan base some by never seeing a shot he didn't like and trying to be Jimmer. The problem was he isn't Jimmer, there were more talented players and better shooters on his team last year (Haws, Collinsworth). I suppose it's not the worst to actually have someone who wants to take a shot on our team, but I just hope all you ra ra ra guys aren't the same guys who are cursing him the first time he shoots us out of a game by going 2-18 with ~8 ill advised jumpers.

2-for-18? So at least he'll be an improvement over Derrick!  ;D
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

chapman

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2014, 05:14:41 PM »
Works for me.  There's a lot of potential with our guards, and as much inexperience.  Not enough to count on three to be on the floor at all times.  Two spots left. 

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2014, 05:19:25 PM »
Nope, Burton is the man.

Sharpie

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2014, 05:20:25 PM »
Welcome to MU Carlino.

I don't think this will discourage our young guards. It will create more competition and I'm confident that they will get better and rise to the challenge.

Now, let's get a couple guys with some height. I'm excited for next year not knowing what to expect whatsoever.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2014, 05:58:22 PM »

I have a feeling that if he jacks up a few ill-advised jumpers, he'll find himself on the bench pretty quickly.  BYU might not have had the depth at guard to do that, but we have plenty.  If anything, people are worried that we have too much depth at guard.

So if he produces, he'll be a great asset.  If he doesn't, he'll only tie up a scholarship for one year while riding the pines.

Seems like a good idea....

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2014, 06:17:07 PM »
Carlino > DeWi

Welcome, Matt. Shoot good shots, play hard defense, win the hearts of many.
SS Marquette

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2014, 07:06:49 PM »
Carlino Interview

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/2E-sM05kr5Q?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3&amp;amp;rel=0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/2E-sM05kr5Q?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3&amp;amp;rel=0</a>

Death on call

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2014, 07:09:37 PM »
2-for-18? So at least he'll be an improvement over Derrick!  ;D

You really don't believe that?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2014, 07:54:29 PM »
Carlino Interview

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/2E-sM05kr5Q?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3&amp;amp;rel=0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/2E-sM05kr5Q?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3&amp;amp;rel=0</a>

Southpaw.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2014, 08:01:57 PM »
Family has ties to MU and Milwaukee- uncle played in the late 60's for MU and mother was raised in Milwaukee.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/cougars/57866253-88/carlino-marquette-byu-game.html.csp

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2014, 08:07:08 PM »
Carlino's addition does create a logjam at guard for MU, but with the sorry state of shooting on this team, they badly needed a veteran like him who can stroke it from 3.  His percentages from 3 haven't been very good, but four games last year with four or more made threes, including an 8-13 against Portland.  Six other games with three threes.  So when he's on, his impact shooting will be huge.  Hopefully he can find more consistency.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2014, 08:15:16 PM »
The way three guard lineups in college are so prevalent, minutes will be found for guys that deserve them.  So I would not do a lot of hand wringing for what will become of Duane W, Dawson, JJJ, if they play well, there will be minutes to be had one way or other. 

That being said, JJJ needs to get stronger and show more.  I know Buzz could have given him more opportunities, but the fact is, he certainly didn't stand out much when he did get minutes.  I'm not trashing the guy, just saying he very much looked like a freshman much of last year.  Dawson and Burton clearly looked more advanced to me.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2014, 08:19:12 PM »
Carlino's addition does create a logjam at guard for MU, but with the sorry state of shooting on this team, they badly needed a veteran like him who can stroke it from 3.  His percentages from 3 haven't been very good, but four games last year with four or more made threes, including an 8-13 against Portland.  Six other games with three threes.  So when he's on, his impact shooting will be huge.  Hopefully he can find more consistency.

It will be refreshing to have a 1 who is a threat to can it. Last year was maddening.

Death on call

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2014, 08:26:10 PM »
I couldn't agree more. Crean got caught with his pants down with Diener and those stupid contact drills he ran. The Western Michigan debacle was a low moment.

+1, that's when I began to see the light of what an idiot Crean was.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2014, 08:34:14 PM »
Carlino Interview

Didn't know the cat was white
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2014, 08:37:25 PM »
The only guys I see entrenched in the rotation from day one next year are Burton, Carlino, Taylor Jr., and Fischer (obviously Luke not until mid- December).  Other than those four, minutes are completely up for grabs next season- opportunities galore for the other 7 guys (as of now) to earn their time on the floor.  I think even with Mayo, his prior inconsistencies and the fact he just isn't a strong defender (I wouldn't even consider him average on that end), make him somewhat of a question mark, although I think his offensive ability is too good to not find a spot somewhere in the rotation.

It's going to be a fun battle to see unfold and they're all starting with a clean slate playing for a new coaching staff.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2014, 08:39:41 PM »

The dude survived 3 1/2 years in Provo. Of course he's white.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2014, 08:44:09 PM »

Carlino?

I flew with a guy named Ziegler. Ziggy played hoops at UPenn. Despite the Teutonic name he was a bro. I asked Zig about that and he laughed saying that his LA high school was full of German, Irish, Italian, and French names without a white face in sight. Said everybody liked a helping of Creole for dinner now and then.  

Death on call

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2014, 08:49:19 PM »
The only guys I see entrenched in the rotation from day one next year are Burton, Carlino, Taylor Jr., and Fischer (obviously Luke not until mid- December).  Other than those four, minutes are completely up for grabs next season- opportunities galore for the other 7 guys (as of now) to earn their time on the floor.  I think even with Mayo, his prior inconsistencies and the fact he just isn't a strong defender (I wouldn't even consider him average on that end), make him somewhat of a question mark, although I think his offensive ability is too good to not find a spot somewhere in the rotation.

It's going to be a fun battle to see unfold and they're all starting with a clean slate playing for a new coaching staff.

Actually, Mayo is a good man defender.  Just not good at Buzz's help protect the paint at all costs defense.

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2014, 08:51:39 PM »
Welcome to MU Matt!!

Never have enough quality guards it is a guards game!!!