'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Carlino a Warrior  (Read 34819 times)

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Re: Carlino a Warrior
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2014, 08:54:54 PM »
Carlino?

I flew with a guy named Ziegler. Ziggy played hoops at UPenn. Despite the Teutonic name he was a bro. I asked Zig about that and he laughed saying that his LA high school was full of German, Irish, Italian, and French names without a white face in sight. Said everybody liked a helping of Creole for dinner now and then.  

One of Compton's finest.

SS Marquette

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2014, 08:59:10 PM »
The dude survived

Survive is right. How do you go that long without quenching any of a number of thirsts? At that age your moisture seeking missile is primed and ready 24/7.

There was a BYU hoopster who was suspended in-season for doing what nature intended. As I recall they were having a great year and the player was a leader on the court. I respect BYU for sticking to its values but I am amazed anyone not LDS would choose to live under such an invasive code.

The military has an honor code but there is nothing against two consenting adults (who are not married to others!) savoring the more earthy delights that have perpetuated the species for thousands of years. The BYU code, which must be signed every year by each student, forbids not just the usual honor issues about character and integrity but also forbids alcohol, tobacco, caffeine, drugs, and all sorts of rather mundane habits. Couldn't imagine not swilling joe in the morning.

Death on call

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2014, 09:05:59 PM »
And yet another point guard to take away minutes from Wilson and Dawson....Dumb! Dumb! Dumb!

Duane Wilson needs 30 minutes a game and has NBA talent....but Wojo prefers a PG that reminds him of him and his multiple NIT runs at Duke when he was a player. 

Rookie coach mistake.

MU played for fools again after letting Buzz take us for $2.5MM a year and then let him steal our star recruits as well.  Ben Howland would never have let Hill and Pierce be allowed out of their NLI to go to VT as he knows how cut throat college basketball world is.  Hopefully we make one smart move over the next year as the last year has been a disaster. 

When your username is Sultan of Silly it's extremely tough to live up to that moniker.  You, however, time and time again manage to meet that challenge.  Congratulations!  Oh, silly one.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2014, 09:07:51 PM »
That gives the team two true point guards. Carlino and Dawson. Both Wilson's are combo guards and not true points.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2014, 09:11:15 PM »
When your username is Sultan of Silly it's extremely tough to live up to that moniker.  You, however, time and time again manage to meet that challenge.  Congratulations!  Oh, silly one.

+1
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2014, 10:19:29 PM »
That gives the team two true point guards. Carlino and Dawson. Both Wilson's are combo guards and not true points.

Wait, Derrick Wilson is a combo guard? as in PG/SG combo? you realize the "S" in SG stands for "shooting" right?

GurneeHitchkr

• Starter
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2014, 10:42:47 PM »
People complaining about this?  Like there's so much to choose from.  This was a quality acquisition.  Embrace it and Welcome Carlino.  Leadership.  Shooter.  Moxie.  We need this.  It will force the others step up, work harder and earn their minutes anyways.  Bring it!

augoman

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2014, 11:17:30 PM »
Welcome mat..., (sorry).

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2014, 11:29:32 PM »
Survive is right. How do you go that long without quenching any of a number of thirsts? At that age your moisture seeking missile is primed and ready 24/7.

There was a BYU hoopster who was suspended in-season for doing what nature intended. As I recall they were having a great year and the player was a leader on the court. I respect BYU for sticking to its values but I am amazed anyone not LDS would choose to live under such an invasive code.

The military has an honor code but there is nothing against two consenting adults (who are not married to others!) savoring the more earthy delights that have perpetuated the species for thousands of years. The BYU code, which must be signed every year by each student, forbids not just the usual honor issues about character and integrity but also forbids alcohol, tobacco, caffeine, drugs, and all sorts of rather mundane habits. Couldn't imagine not swilling joe in the morning.

nothing about 'roids in that contract, aina?

raul

• Starter
« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2014, 11:50:01 PM »
After hearing of all the people leaving MU its nice to hear of some one coming to MU. With scholarships to give its a no brainer to give it to a guy with experience and who will only stay one year.

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2014, 12:10:17 AM »
Carlino?

I flew with a guy named Ziegler. Ziggy played hoops at UPenn. Despite the Teutonic name he was a bro. I asked Zig about that and he laughed saying that his LA high school was full of German, Irish, Italian, and French names without a white face in sight. Said everybody liked a helping of Creole for dinner now and then.  

Up until midway through the season I assumed Liam McMorrow was a red haired Irishman. Right up until I asked someone who the tall black guy in the sweater was.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2014, 12:11:13 AM »
Carlino?

Told you f uckers that I was a not-trad.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2014, 07:25:30 AM »
Great news!!!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2014, 08:47:02 AM »
People complaining about this?  Like there's so much to choose from.  This was a quality acquisition.  Embrace it and Welcome Carlino.  Leadership.  Shooter.  Moxie.  We need this.  It will force the others step up, work harder and earn their minutes anyways.  Bring it!

The people complaining are the same people that think John Dawson has Magic Johnson like qualities.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2014, 09:02:38 AM »
I'm really excited about what this could mean for the lineup next year.   So hard to speculate because we have no sure idea what Wojo likes to do, but the options are definitely interesting.
If nothing else, it is going to look like a completely different brand of basketball out there next year.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2014, 09:38:43 AM »
Would love to see a smaller/quicker line-up creating offense from defense

Next season is shaping up to be a reverse of this season.  A lot of backcourt options but more limited in the frontcourt.

My guess is having a better backcourt with more options will equal more court success versus this past season.  Having a good frontcourt is wonderful if you have the guards.

We now have the guards.  Would be good to get a big who can at least play defense/rebound if Taylor and Fischer get into foul trouble.

MU Beaver

• Walk-On
« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2014, 09:45:24 AM »
Paint Touches ‏@PaintTouches  1m
Burton said earlier this month that he likes Duane Wilson as a 2 more than at the point. He certainly has the scoring skill set.
I wish I had a Helicopter to take me to work vs sitting in traffic every morning. This is a huge hit to Duane's ego. He came to Marquette to play point guard. Would have started last year without injury. Should have started this year. I think you will see this Carlino as a 2 guard. Should free him up to shoot.  Either that or they will play a mix of him and duane on the floor at the same time. If this guy takes big minutes from DUane it is a huge mistake. Huge.. I hope Duane can handle it or it may be the start of a rough relationship with the new coach.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2014, 09:53:57 AM »
I wish I had a Helicopter to take me to work vs sitting in traffic every morning. This is a huge hit to Duane's ego. He came to Marquette to play point guard. Would have started last year without injury. Should have started this year. I think you will see this Carlino as a 2 guard. Should free him up to shoot.  Either that or they will play a mix of him and duane on the floor at the same time. If this guy takes big minutes from DUane it is a huge mistake. Huge.. I hope Duane can handle it or it may be the start of a rough relationship with the new coach.

Hopefully they play together a lot. I think the person this affects the most is Derrick. I see him getting very little, if any, playing time with this move.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2014, 10:16:15 AM »
Hopefully they play together a lot. I think the person this affects the most is Derrick. I see him getting very little, if any, playing time with this move.
Carlino -28/Derrick-19
Duane-28/Dawson-5/Cohen
Mayo-28/Johnson-17
Burton-28
Taylor-25/Anderson-22
Injuries will happen to free up some time. Honestly I could see Cohen/Johnson/Dawson getting less than 15 minutes combined once we get to league play once Luke comes to play.

dannyp07

• Walk-On
« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2014, 10:22:16 AM »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2014, 10:25:13 AM »

Duane would not have started last year. He will see the floor whether it is at the point or off the ball. He is a playmaker and can do that from the 1 or the 2. If recruiting other players at the same position is a problem we might as well only take 5 players. If having to compete for minutes causes a player to have a rough relationship with a coach then I for one don't think he's the right fit for Marquette basketball. He can join McKay at Iowa State. The good thing is he had that option and doesn't think like you do. He's willing to work hard to warn what he wants.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 26, 2014, 10:32:15 AM »
Duane would not have started last year. He will see the floor whether it is at the point or off the ball. He is a playmaker and can do that from the 1 or the 2. If recruiting other players at the same position is a problem we might as well only take 5 players. If having to compete for minutes causes a player to have a rough relationship with a coach then I for one don't think he's the right fit for Marquette basketball. He can join McKay at Iowa State. The good thing is he had that option and doesn't think like you do. He's willing to work hard to warn what he wants.

Exactly. Duane has not played one minute yet. I have no clue how anyone can assume Duane would have started when no one has seen him play yet. Unrealistic expectations of newcomers disease.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #72 on: April 26, 2014, 10:39:37 AM »
I was hoping to see Duane take over at PG this year, oh well.  I'd rather have Duane at PG than SG because its easier to find other good SGs.

Speaking of SGs, any chance Charles Matthews reconsiders UK now that the Harrison twins are returning?  He might be the odd man left out there next year depending on their scholarship count.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #73 on: April 26, 2014, 10:46:52 AM »
Mathews is only a senior next year, the Harrison twins will be gone after next year.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #74 on: April 26, 2014, 10:49:13 AM »
I was hoping to see Duane take over at PG this year, oh well.  I'd rather have Duane at PG than SG because its easier to find other good SGs.

Speaking of SGs, any chance Charles Matthews reconsiders UK now that the Harrison twins are returning?  He might be the odd man left out there next year depending on their scholarship count.

Carlino and Duane can play together, the odd man out is Derrick Wilson, JJJ might play less minutes as well.  Carlino has done it already, the other two discussed will have to earn there minutes.
Good pick-up, much better than Jack Thomas, that is for sure.

feedback