[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by WellsstreetWanderer
[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Bourbon  (Read 62803 times)

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
Re: Bourbon
« Reply #150 on: March 24, 2021, 08:40:11 AM »
Bump...anyone finding anything tasty in Milwaukee area?  Also starting to travel again for work and cover the entire state of Illinois so any leads on where to stop to find some gems would be appreciated.  Just opened a bottle of Colonel EH Taylor small batch, pretty damn good.

I really like the bottle of Issac Bowman Port Barrel Finished Bourbon that Ray's was selling last week.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #151 on: March 24, 2021, 11:11:24 AM »
Locally, I like Driftless Glen.  Made in Baraboo.

IMO, still doesn't see right to drink bourbon not made in KY, but DG was pretty decent for a newer craft brand.  I'm pretty sure it is their own juice too, not sourced.

Bo Ryan's Massage Therapist

• Team Captain
« Reply #152 on: March 24, 2021, 11:26:09 AM »
I was able to get a bottle of eagle rare about a month ago at Total Wine in Greenfield.  Sorry for contributing to the Buffalo Trace "circle jerk"
“If a player leaves Marquette and doesn’t have some of my blood in him, then I don’t think I’ve done a good job.”  Al McGuire

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #153 on: March 24, 2021, 11:28:21 AM »
a coworker brought back from KY a bottle of Rowan's Creek for me. A little strong for my wife at 100 proof so she's sticking with Jefferson's, so it's all mine.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #154 on: March 24, 2021, 11:44:23 AM »
a coworker brought back from KY a bottle of Rowan's Creek for me. A little strong for my wife at 100 proof so she's sticking with Jefferson's, so it's all mine.

Drain pour.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #155 on: March 24, 2021, 11:46:39 AM »
I was able to get a bottle of eagle rare about a month ago at Total Wine in Greenfield.  Sorry for contributing to the Buffalo Trace "circle jerk"

BT is a good every day drinker.  I don't get the hate for them.

Wild turkey on the other hand, don't get the love for them.

R/bourbon is a great place to learn about bourbon and read reviews.   Bourbon became my covid hobby and I learned a ton from that sub.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 12:01:11 PM by ZiggysFryBoy »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #156 on: March 24, 2021, 12:16:04 PM »
Locally, I like Driftless Glen.  Made in Baraboo.

IMO, still doesn't see right to drink bourbon not made in KY, but DG was pretty decent for a newer craft brand.  I'm pretty sure it is their own juice too, not sourced.

It's a beautiful place right down by the river, but I'm not sure its all that good.  Fine for mixers.  Personally, if I'm going with Wisconsin made, I choose Hatch.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #157 on: March 24, 2021, 01:51:17 PM »

R/bourbon is a great place to learn about bourbon and read reviews.   Bourbon became my covid hobby and I learned a ton from that sub.

Funny, WT is always in my cabinet, in fact recently switched from stocking 4 Roses to WT. Agree on anything BT that I've been able to snag. I was at McBob's a while back waiting for my order and spotted Eagle Rare on the backbar and finding out the bar sells it for $5 or $9 for a double, "I'll have a double!"!

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #158 on: March 24, 2021, 03:21:39 PM »
It's a beautiful place right down by the river, but I'm not sure its all that good.  Fine for mixers.  Personally, if I'm going with Wisconsin made, I choose Hatch.

When we were camping up in the area we went there for dinner and drinks.  I would definitely go again and have told many about it.  Neat place and good food.

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #159 on: March 25, 2021, 05:30:31 PM »

I think most everyone likes the Buffalo Trace stuff at retail prices, it’s the craziness of how much it goes for on the secondary market that is wild.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #160 on: March 26, 2021, 04:07:37 AM »

BT has been WAY WAY over hyped. BT is a fine bourbon when it was $19 a bottle. ER was a good 10 year when it was $28 a bottle. Now that it's allocated / limited here in Chicago - GTFO. It's not that good. WT100 is every bit as good as BT. Also the fact EHTSiB & Rye are now nowhere to find is a crime.

Also, WLW > Any Pappy.

For solid items you can see on shelves getting Little Book when it comes out is great find.
But I like to throw handfuls...

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #161 on: March 26, 2021, 08:58:11 AM »
BT has been WAY WAY over hyped. BT is a fine bourbon when it was $19 a bottle. ER was a good 10 year when it was $28 a bottle. Now that it's allocated / limited here in Chicago - GTFO. It's not that good. WT100 is every bit as good as BT. Also the fact EHTSiB & Rye are now nowhere to find is a crime.

Also, WLW > Any Pappy.

For solid items you can see on shelves getting Little Book when it comes out is great find.

I can buy BT at my little town grocery store.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #162 on: March 26, 2021, 11:16:21 AM »
Bringing this topic back from the dead... I purchased a bottle of Very Olde St. Nick 12 year Antique barrel bourbon yesterday.

Haven't cracked it yet, anyone had it before?  Thoughts?

Looks like I finally have a reason to crack this baby open tonight!

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #163 on: March 30, 2021, 10:02:12 PM »
Looks like I finally have a reason to crack this baby open tonight!

What did you think?  I enjoyed it but at the price I was expecting more.  Would much rather have Stagg Jr which you can find on secondary for less than the st nick.  Really enjoyed the Woodford Reserve Masters Collection Batch Proof I found recently.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #164 on: March 30, 2021, 11:07:47 PM »
What did you think?  I enjoyed it but at the price I was expecting more.  Would much rather have Stagg Jr which you can find on secondary for less than the st nick.  Really enjoyed the Woodford Reserve Masters Collection Batch Proof I found recently.

I'm not sure it was worth the price, but I enjoyed it.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #165 on: July 24, 2021, 12:25:51 AM »
Picked up Henry McKenna 10 year. It was $35 until it won best in show in 2019 at the SF Spirits Competition. Not available in Oregon, my wife was doing a client visit and got hooked up with a bottle. Excellent stuff, nice heat at 100 proof.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #166 on: July 24, 2021, 07:39:22 AM »
Picked up Henry McKenna 10 year. It was $35 until it won best in show in 2019 at the SF Spirits Competition. Not available in Oregon, my wife was doing a client visit and got hooked up with a bottle. Excellent stuff, nice heat at 100 proof.

Yeah, that used to be one of go to bottles for a while. But then that damn award and the bourbon craze ruined it.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #167 on: July 24, 2021, 07:49:40 AM »
Yeah, that used to be one of go to bottles for a while. But then that damn award and the bourbon craze ruined it.

I’m in the “biz”.  There was a time you couldn’t give that away.  Pretty remarkable state of affairs.  Same with Old Fitzgerald and Ancient Age. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #168 on: July 26, 2021, 01:07:34 AM »
Wife also brought home Angel’s Envy and Redbreast 12. Enjoying all three.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #169 on: July 26, 2021, 02:00:07 PM »
I can buy BT at my little town grocery store.

Milwaukee & Madison markets get exact same allotment of BT for some odd reason.  So while it's rare in Milwaukee, it's easily accessible in Madison. 

FWIW, you can easily get Weller in Texas.

Also, plus 1 on WT 101...to me that's a great everyday option and so much easier to get than BT.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 02:02:42 PM by The Lens »
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #170 on: July 26, 2021, 02:13:45 PM »
Went on a tour of Corsair in Nashville this past weekend. I'm a novice when it comes to bourbon, but I thought it was excellent.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #171 on: July 26, 2021, 06:50:53 PM »
Pedro won 69 games in his big league career-  almost all in relief.  Had 2.42 ERA in 26 post  postseason innings. Big part of the Big Red Machine’s two world championships.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #172 on: July 26, 2021, 08:28:32 PM »
Pedro won 69 games in his big league career-  almost all in relief.  Had 2.42 ERA in 26 post  postseason innings. Big part of the Big Red Machine’s two world championships.

Well played.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #173 on: January 04, 2022, 12:16:08 AM »
Three new ones in my collection:

Cooper’s Craft. 100 proof, excellent value at $30. Is spend $50 on this. Nice heat.
Heaven’s Door Straight Bourbon. Bob Dylan’s distillery, really tasty at a good price point too. 25% rye, biscuity, smooth. A little strawberry on the palate surprisingly. Their Double Barrel is next.
George Dickel BIB 2021. Got great reviews, has lived up to the hype. Similar to McKenna 10 year but with the added charcoal filtering of Tennessee whiskey.

My wife boughtbBasil Hayden Toast. She likes it but I find it too light. Overpriced at $50, IMO.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 01:27:38 AM by Billy Hoyle »

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #174 on: January 05, 2022, 11:00:32 AM »

Was able to get a bottle of Chapter 5 through a lottery draw.  Haven't cracked it yet, but reviews seem to favor prior chapters.  Also randomly found a bottle of Stagg Jr in a case at a local grocery for $99.  Crazy that a year ago you could buy that on the secondary for $200-250, now I have seen it for $300 - $500.