[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: YOU SEE THAT BRENT?? Guard's game!  (Read 31775 times)

PVMagic

• Starter
Re: YOU SEE THAT BRENT?? Guard's game!
« Reply #100 on: April 08, 2014, 04:49:23 PM »
Maybe people will take a break from scoop until the "non-D1 talent" is gone too.

I understand the frustration with Derrick's play this year. I don't understand how totally unrelated topics (ie another team winning the title) becomes a chance to (once again) rip on our own players.  Not his fault he was asked to handle a role that at this point was above his level... Wasn't that long ago that posters were calling for Derrick to take Cadougan's minutes.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #101 on: April 08, 2014, 04:51:05 PM »
My original point, was around offensive production, and used one data point of PPG to illustrate that.  

Teague averaged, 10 ppg, 4.8 assists, 2.7 turnovers, shot 41% from the field, 71% from the line, and 32% from 3
Siva averaged: 10 ppg, 5.7 assists, 2.7 turnovers, 40% from the field, 80% from the line, and 28% from 3.

Now, DW: 5ppg, 4.8 assists, 1.5 turnovers, 39% from the field, 44% from the line, and about 7% from 3 (oooff on that one).

Again, a few posters have wound themselves so frackin' tight that they think DW was the source of the majority of our issues this year.  When everyone on the team, doesn't meet our nerd-fan boy expectations (Jamil had a down year, Gardner looked disinterested 1/2 the time, Buzz had numerous shortcomings and, yes DW as well, injuries, and last second transfers)  

And again to my original point about from our friend atk13thst, no you do not need all world offensive minded PG to win a NCAA championship.

Why do you think Jamil had a down year?  Gardner disinterested?  They had the most inept starting point guard in college basketball to play 30+ minutes alongside.

Stop embarrassing yourself.  Are you fracking serious trying to compare Siva and Teague to Derrick?  Derrick took exactly 4 shots outside of the painted area in ALL of conference play and still managed to only shoot 39% from the field.  44% from FT line?  7% from 3 point land with 2 career makes through the end of his junior year??

It is beyond goofy that some would try to defend the atrocious play of Derrick.  Junior Cadougan was 3x the player as to Derrick.  Losing Trent Lockett and Vander Blue was not the reason this team went from Elite 8 to missing the NIT.  Mayo's numbers across the board were better than Blue's particularly when measured as points per 40.  Shot better percentages from FT line, got there at twice the rate, shot better percentage from 2 points, and 3 point shots than blue...higher eFG% than blue, higher assist rate.

Please for the love of God..would the 4 people here TAMU, Tower, Wades and Reinko - stop putting out ridiculous posts trying to validate and justify Derrick's performance as being even serviceable.  Didn't make 1 shot from field outside of 3 feet for all of conference play.  
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #102 on: April 08, 2014, 04:54:29 PM »
Why do you think Jamil had a down year?  Gardner disinterested?  They had the most inept starting point guard in college basketball to play 30+ minutes alongside.

Stop embarrassing yourself.  Are you fracking serious trying to compare Siva and Teague to Derrick?  Derrick took exactly 4 shots outside of the painted area in ALL of conference play and still managed to only shoot 39% from the field.  44% from FT line?  7% from 3 point land with 2 career makes through the end of his junior year??

It is beyond goofy that some would try to defend the atrocious play of Derrick.  Junior Cadougan was 3x the player as to Derrick.  Losing Trent Lockett and Vander Blue was not the reason this team went from Elite 8 to missing the NIT.  Mayo's numbers across the board were better than Blue's particularly when measured as points per 40.  Shot better percentages from FT line, got there at twice the rate, shot better percentage from 2 points, and 3 point shots than blue...higher eFG% than blue, higher assist rate.

Please for the love of God..would the 4 people here TAMU, Tower, Wades and Reinko - stop putting out ridiculous posts trying to validate and justify Derrick's performance as being even serviceable.  Didn't make 1 shot from field outside of 3 feet for all of conference play.  

Exactly. .

They tryna justify a 42% Free throw shooter...... Stop I'll get "Daddy Tickets" all next year before paying to see shaquille wilson play 30 MPG. Lol.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #103 on: April 08, 2014, 04:55:49 PM »

Derrick is why Jamil sucked this year?  Haha.  Wow.  You and Willie come up with some crazy crap.  Davante became disinterested because his point guard couldn't score a lot?  Talk about a little b!tch if that is true.  Grow a pair, man up, get angry, and make up for it by kicking ass.  Pout instead?  Good riddance if you actually believe that was Gardner's issue.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #104 on: April 08, 2014, 05:02:52 PM »
Derrick is why Jamil sucked this year?  Haha.  Wow.  You and Willie come up with some crazy crap.  Davante became disinterested because his point guard couldn't score a lot?  Talk about a little b!tch if that is true.  Grow a pair, man up, get angry, and make up for it by kicking ass.  Pout instead?  Good riddance if you actually believe that was Gardner's issue.

Please....by the goofy analysis here...people are suggesting Gardner was part of the team's problem this past season.  Give me a break.  He didn't have an off the charts year, just a small bump in improvement from his junior year due to teams packing the paint...because they could.

And as for Jamil.  Please answer this question:

You are an opposing coach - Brent Williams rolls out a starting lineup of:  Derrick, Jake, Juan, Jamil and Otule - who are you game planning to take away??

It's the sum of the parts that make a basketball team good or bad...as in football...you could be Calvin Johnson but if you have Christian Ponder, Brandon Weedon, or Tim Tebow being the QB to get you the ball...guess what....you aint gonna be an All Pro receiver.

PG is most critical position on the basketball floor...Derrick's MAJOR limitations trickle down to the other 4 guys on the floor.  Period.  Just give it a rest.  It's impossible to not comment on this issue, when you guys are making such absurd arguments to try to support the most limited offensive PG in all of high major basketball.  Derrick didn't make 1 freaking FG outside of the painted area in 20 conference games...you don't think that hurts the other guys on the floor around him?  Please re-post when you return from Mars.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #105 on: April 08, 2014, 05:10:33 PM »
Please....by the goofy analysis here...people are suggesting Gardner was part of the team's problem this past season.  Give me a break.  He didn't have an off the charts year, just a small bump in improvement from his junior year due to teams packing the paint...because they could.

And as for Jamil.  Please answer this question:

You are an opposing coach - Brent Williams rolls out a starting lineup of:  Derrick, Jake, Juan, Jamil and Otule - who are you game planning to take away??

It's the sum of the parts that make a basketball team good or bad...as in football...you could be Calvin Johnson but if you have Christian Ponder, Brandon Weedon, or Tim Tebow being the QB to get you the ball...guess what....you aint gonna be an All Pro receiver.

PG is most critical position on the basketball floor...Derrick's MAJOR limitations trickle down to the other 4 guys on the floor.  Period.  Just give it a rest.  It's impossible to not comment on this issue, when you guys are making such absurd arguments to try to support the most limited offensive PG in all of high major basketball.  Derrick didn't make 1 freaking FG outside of the painted area in 20 conference games...you don't think that hurts the other guys on the floor around him?  Please re-post when you return from Mars.

The lack of development by anybody on the roster is what hurt the team.  We knew what we were getting in Derrick.  We did not get what we expected out of Jamil, Davante, Juan, Steve, and, up until the end of the season, Mayo.  Player development was Bert's issue.  Playing Derrick Wilson was not.

Also, a minute ago Derrick was the problem with Jamil.  Now it is Derrick, Juan, Chris, and Jake.  Got it.  Changing it up minute by minute.

Anyways, Juan played 13 minutes per game and Chris played 18 minutes per game.  Jamil played 29.  Even if those 2 were on the court with Jamil for every single one of their minutes, that still leaves 11 minutes per game where Jamil is on the court and neither of those 2 are.  Jake and Jamil should've helped each other out, with Jake spreading the floor as the shooter and Jamil playing the role of the slasher.  But instead, Jamil played the role of the invisible man.  There was no helping Jamil.  Jamil was soft.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #106 on: April 08, 2014, 05:38:58 PM »
The lack of development by anybody on the roster is what hurt the team.  We knew what we were getting in Derrick.  We did not get what we expected out of Jamil, Davante, Juan, Steve, and, up until the end of the season, Mayo.  Player development was Bert's issue.  Playing Derrick Wilson was not.

Also, a minute ago Derrick was the problem with Jamil.  Now it is Derrick, Juan, Chris, and Jake.  Got it.  Changing it up minute by minute.

Anyways, Juan played 13 minutes per game and Chris played 18 minutes per game.  Jamil played 29.  Even if those 2 were on the court with Jamil for every single one of their minutes, that still leaves 11 minutes per game where Jamil is on the court and neither of those 2 are.  Jake and Jamil should've helped each other out, with Jake spreading the floor as the shooter and Jamil playing the role of the slasher.  But instead, Jamil played the role of the invisible man.  There was no helping Jamil.  Jamil was soft.

So because you "knew" what we were getting in Derrick - that absolves him of accountability and responsibility for being an effective PG?  And, did you really think he'd not make a FG outside of the painted area in all of conference play going into last season?  1, 3pt shot made all year on 7% shooting?  44% from the FT line?  All while getting more minutes than any other player on the team??

You want to cite lack of development by other players...but not question Derrick's complete lack of development all year?  Want to indict Gardner who was our best big man since Damon Key/Rob Jackson and one of the most efficient scorers in all of college basketball?  Want to complete ignore the fact basketball is a team game...and if you have the weakest link at the most important position on the floor that doesn't hurt every other player?  And want to call Jamil "soft."  Hell, I'd take a soft Derrick Wilson all day long if he could average 12ppg, make a few 3 point shots, shoot 65% from the FT line, and make a 2point FG outside of the paint.

And Jamil the "invisible man."  Please...the invisible man that didn't need to be guarded was Derrick.  Not even sure why I'm responding to such foolish commentary.  Please re-post when back from Pluto...you aren't even on point enough to be considered next planet over...you are totally out there...land of Pluto.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 05:46:31 PM by Ners »

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #107 on: April 08, 2014, 06:23:34 PM »
Did you hate Cadougan too? Because DWill is putting up similar numbers.
Caddy was twice the PG that Derrick was, Pushed the ball and a way better passer. Shot FT's better and ocassionally made a 3.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #108 on: April 08, 2014, 06:37:44 PM »
Yup, forgetting to mention we lost 15 games with your boy Derrick.

I didn't need to mention it. I was responding to a poster who claimed that we will not a win a game with Derrick starting.

Wasn't saying Derrick should start or even play at all. I was just addressing the hyperbole that is both untrue and insulting to one of our players.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #109 on: April 08, 2014, 07:03:00 PM »
Brent was playing Buzzball,its gonna be all the rage in gobblercountry as soon as he finds 4 assistants to help him
with player development and interest in the program.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #110 on: April 08, 2014, 07:08:03 PM »
I put the blame this year for Derricks performance on the coach. It is incomprehensible that he would give the PG responsibility to a kid who has no offensive instincts and zero shooting ability. Not fair to the kid. He tried his best but was not up to the task. If he gets more than 10 minutes a game next year we are in a heap of trouble. The free throw percentage was so bad that our opponents generally benefitted when they fouled him particularly in one on one situations. Wojo may look kindly on his hustle and character but will not risk his own future on the kid.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #111 on: April 08, 2014, 07:33:36 PM »
Maybe people will take a break from scoop until the "non-D1 talent" is gone too.

I understand the frustration with Derrick's play this year. I don't understand how totally unrelated topics (ie another team winning the title) becomes a chance to (once again) rip on our own players.  Not his fault he was asked to handle a role that at this point was above his level... Wasn't that long ago that posters were calling for Derrick to take Cadougan's minutes.

Reason doesn't get very far with people who have already made up their mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #112 on: April 08, 2014, 07:47:42 PM »
I didn't need to mention it. I was responding to a poster who claimed that we will not a win a game with Derrick starting.

Wasn't saying Derrick should start or even play at all. I was just addressing the hyperbole that is both untrue and insulting to one of our players.
No you weren't. Go back and read the posts. That poster did not say we would not win a game with Derrick, he said we would not win with Derrick. They are not the same thing. In addition he was responding to your post defending Derrick because "you were told that Derrick won against the other two PG's every time in practice." Maybe you were told that. I have been told that Buzz squeezed Duane into his RS. Buzz spun that a different way, that "we" decided it was in everybody's best interest. You are spinning just like your boy Buzz spins. Your spin was "Actually we won 17 games with Derrick at PG playing more than 10 minutes." Implication spin "We did pretty good"
I believe that had Buzz not forced Duane into a RS, and we had him for the last twenty or so games of the year, we would have won 3 or more games. Buzz hurt the team and Duane with his BS. All so he could play his boy Derrick and not have to put up with fan pressure to play Duane.
It worked out well for El Bozo.

Tour defense of Derrick/Buzz is ludicrous.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #113 on: April 08, 2014, 10:31:29 PM »
No you weren't. Go back and read the posts. That poster did not say we would not win a game with Derrick, he said we would not win with Derrick. They are not the same thing. In addition he was responding to your post defending Derrick because "you were told that Derrick won against the other two PG's every time in practice." Maybe you were told that. I have been told that Buzz squeezed Duane into his RS. Buzz spun that a different way, that "we" decided it was in everybody's best interest. You are spinning just like your boy Buzz spins. Your spin was "Actually we won 17 games with Derrick at PG playing more than 10 minutes." Implication spin "We did pretty good"
I believe that had Buzz not forced Duane into a RS, and we had him for the last twenty or so games of the year, we would have won 3 or more games. Buzz hurt the team and Duane with his BS. All so he could play his boy Derrick and not have to put up with fan pressure to play Duane.
It worked out well for El Bozo.

Tour defense of Derrick/Buzz is ludicrous.

So Duane Wilson is just lying to cover up for Buzz Williams, the guy you say screwed him over and forced him into a decision he did not want to make?  Again, Willie, you come up with some crazy interesting theories.

What is your theory on 9/11?  Bush guided missiles into the WTCs and Pentagon?

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #114 on: April 08, 2014, 10:39:15 PM »
So Duane Wilson is just lying to cover up for Buzz Williams, the guy you say screwed him over and forced him into a decision he did not want to make?  Again, Willie, you come up with some crazy interesting theories.

Duane was put in a bad spot. Buzz said he wasn't going to play him, so Duane did the logical thing and redshirted. Why would he waste a season when the coach said he wouldn't play him? It forced his hand, he had no other option. Duane has taken the high road whenever asked about this, but its perfectly clear this was his only option.

WesleyPipes

• Walk-On
  • Ahhh, yes! Cuban Bee!
« Reply #115 on: April 08, 2014, 10:41:47 PM »
I didn't need to mention it. I was responding to a poster who claimed that we will not a win a meaningful game with Derrick starting.

FTFY. Sorry, I like Derrick a lot, but he is better suited to be defensive stopper off of the bench, bringing energy in spot minutes.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #116 on: April 08, 2014, 10:59:28 PM »
Duane was put in a bad spot. Buzz said he wasn't going to play him, so Duane did the logical thing and redshirted. Why would he waste a season when the coach said he wouldn't play him? It forced his hand, he had no other option. Duane has taken the high road whenever asked about this, but its perfectly clear this was his only option.

Sorry, but you are wrong.

brandx

« Reply #117 on: April 08, 2014, 11:47:21 PM »

You don't have a clue. You state a made up premise to justify your argument and to make it worse, you call Duane a liar.

When did Buzz say he wouldn't play him? You stated it as fact, so let's have the details. And things CANNOT be perfectly clear without one shred of evidence.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #118 on: April 09, 2014, 01:56:05 AM »

FTFY. Sorry, I like Derrick a lot, but he is better suited to be defensive stopper off of the bench, bringing energy in spot minutes.

Hes not a defensive stopper... His defense is a little above average at best... But since his offense is so bad thats the only bright spot in his game..

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #119 on: April 09, 2014, 06:21:29 AM »

Yes, Buzz screwed him in typical Buzz fashion. Talk to people in the know. Sorry that doesn't fit your glowing esteem of Buzz. Had we had Duane for the balance of the year, Derrick would have been on the pines and we win at least 3 more games.

Believe what you want to believe. The rest of your BS Buzzspeak about 9/11 is irrelavent.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #120 on: April 09, 2014, 07:17:01 AM »
You don't have a clue. You state a made up premise to justify your argument and to make it worse, you call Duane a liar.

When did Buzz say he wouldn't play him? You stated it as fact, so let's have the details. And things CANNOT be perfectly clear without one shred of evidence.

Do you know how to read? In the Paint Touches article, it specifically states Buzz told him it would be in his best interest to redshirt. He would not play him as he wasn't going to be strong enough, or in good enough shape. Seems like a pretty easy decision for Duane considering those comments.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #121 on: April 09, 2014, 07:22:53 AM »
Do you know how to read? In the Paint Touches article, it specifically states Buzz told him it would be in his best interest to redshirt. He would not play him as he wasn't going to be strong enough, or in good enough shape. Seems like a pretty easy decision for Duane considering those comments.
Not only did Buzz tell him that, he did not play him or any of the frosh much at that point. We could have used Duane for the last 20 games or so. Derrick wasn't doing crap as the season progressed. All part of Buzz's master plan to play Derrick max minutes to prove he was the man. Hurt the team big time.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #122 on: April 09, 2014, 08:02:26 AM »
Not only did Buzz tell him that, he did not play him or any of the frosh much at that point. We could have used Duane for the last 20 games or so. Derrick wasn't doing crap as the season progressed. All part of Buzz's master plan to play Derrick max minutes to prove he was the man. Hurt the team big time.

Duane himself said words the actual words HE IS CONFIDENT HE MADE THE RIGHT DECISION.

Your people must be really in the know, if they know more than Duane himself.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #123 on: April 09, 2014, 08:23:19 AM »
Duane himself said words the actual words HE IS CONFIDENT HE MADE THE RIGHT DECISION.

Your people must be really in the know, if they know more than Duane himself.
And of course it was the right decision when his OWN COACH WAS FORCING HIM.

WHAT ABOUT THAT DOES NOT COMPUTE FOR YOU? YOUR BLIND WOODY FOR BUZZ!!!!!!!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #124 on: April 09, 2014, 08:44:28 AM »
And of course it was the right decision when his OWN COACH WAS FORCING HIM.

WHAT ABOUT THAT DOES NOT COMPUTE FOR YOU? YOUR BLIND WOODY FOR BUZZ!!!!!!!

Duane had the same chance to earn his minutes, just like everyone else did....IN PRACTICE. Derrick was beating him at practice. Hell, Dawson was beating him at practice at the beginning.

Duane wasn't being forced to sit because Derrick was "Buzz's guy." Duane WAS NOT GOOD ENOUGH RIGHT AFTER THE INJURY TO PASS UP DAWSON ON THE DEPTH CHART. Buzz looks for certain things during practice and Duane was not able to give it to him. Personally, I hope Wojo introduces a different defense that isn't so difficult for recruits to learn.

This was not some evil plan by Buzz. This was Buzz telling Duane honestly that he was the third best option at PG at the time. So Duane decided to redshirt, which is good for Duane and good for our program. Remember how much it hurt that Junior didn't redshirt? We wouldn't even be having these arguments because Derrick would still be a backup.

I know you want to believe that Buzz is an all around squirmy guy. And he was! But of the many things about his administration, this is one of the most squirm free.

Again, not saying Derrick is a world beater, unfortunately saying that our bench is not as good as we think it is.

Except in the case of Johnson and Taylor. That was about him and Buzz not seeing eye to eye.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

feedback