[Today at 07:19:53 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: YOU SEE THAT BRENT?? Guard's game!  (Read 31963 times)

WadeATKBurton

• All American
Re: YOU SEE THAT BRENT?? Guard's game!
« Reply #75 on: April 08, 2014, 01:45:33 PM »
Please point out these posts so I can angrily slurp at them!

In all seriousness, I don't remember reading anything like that besides people who are trying to use the departure of Buzz as proof that the best players rode the bench last season. Which is a huge jump in logic.

And I took your advice and talked to more people close to the program about Duane's redshirt. They still say that there is NOTHING to your claim.

Detective tamu eagle..lol

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #76 on: April 08, 2014, 01:56:20 PM »
Go to a practice some time. It's the only place that you can see all three of the PGs get an equal shot. From what I have been told, Derek won every time.

Of course what Buzz looks for and Wojo looks for are two different things.

I highly doubt he won every time. Here's just one more reminder of what he did last year as a Junior! 31 mpg, 5 pts, 4.2 assists, 3.8 rebounds. His defense was overrated (certainly not a game changer) and his shooting numbers were atrocious to be kind. 44% from the line, 39% from the field, and .071% from 3. How you shoot 39% from the field when you shoot from 3 ft in is beyond me. We couldn't and will not win with him playing more than 10 minutes a game.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #77 on: April 08, 2014, 01:59:59 PM »
How long ago was that? 15+ years. You dont get to Final Fours or win a Championship with non scoring STARTING point guards anymore. Wojo knows that!

Louisville won with Siva averaging only 10 a game, and Kentucky won with Teague only averaging 10 a game.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #78 on: April 08, 2014, 02:01:14 PM »
Louisville won with Siva averaging only 10 a game, and Kentucky won with Teague only averaging 10 a game.

Those are both double what Derrick averaged.

WadeATKBurton

• All American
« Reply #79 on: April 08, 2014, 02:01:53 PM »

10 points that Derrick Wilson cant average!

noblewarrior

• Starter
« Reply #80 on: April 08, 2014, 02:08:24 PM »
I don't think it is De Wilson's statistical output that is frustrating.  I think most 'anti De Wilson" scoopers would be happy with the numbers he put up if he was a much better facilitator on offense, but sadly, this is not the case.  Point guards need to be able to make over 50% of their free throws and have a respectable 3 pt% (which Wojo did and had), hit the open man in rhythm, push the ball when needed, play defense, and the list goes on.  Derek is below average in all but one of these categories.

I agree with tower that Derek will get playing time... but how much?  Who knows.  Buzz implemented a slow down, grind it out style to fit his returning roster last season.  This in Buzz's whacked out head favored Derek.  It doesn't appear he could come to terms with this approach being flawed, and despite the talent on the roster, would not stray from this flawed style.  This did Derek and everyone else on the team a disservice and I think they (the team/players) knew it.  As a result, I believe he he lost the team.  Wojo has a chance to start from scratch.  I'm not sure Buzz would have been able to.  Wojo will make his evaluations and put out a team he feels can win (Just like Buzz did) and it appears to many of us scoopers that this will not include a 35+ min a game De Wilson.

WadeATKBurton

• All American
« Reply #81 on: April 08, 2014, 02:15:48 PM »
I don't think it is De Wilson's statistical output that is frustrating.  I think most 'anti De Wilson" scoopers would be happy with the numbers he put up if he was a much better facilitator on offense, but sadly, this is not the case.  Point guards need to be able to make over 50% of their free throws and have a respectable 3 pt% (which Wojo did and had), hit the open man in rhythm, push the ball when needed, play defense, and the list goes on.  Derek is below average in all but one of these categories.

I agree with tower that Derek will get playing time... but how much?  Who knows.  Buzz implemented a slow down, grind it out style to fit his returning roster last season.  This in Buzz's whacked out head favored Derek.  It doesn't appear he could come to terms with this approach being flawed, and despite the talent on the roster, would not stray from this flawed style.  This did Derek and everyone else on the team a disservice and I think they (the team/players) knew it.  As a result, I believe he he lost the team.  Wojo has a chance to start from scratch.  I'm not sure Buzz would have been able to.  Wojo will make his evaluations and put out a team he feels can win (Just like Buzz did) and it appears to many of us scoopers that this will not include a 35+ min a game De Wilson.

Well said. 

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #82 on: April 08, 2014, 02:20:06 PM »
Did you know that Wojo averaged 5.4 points and 3.9 assists as a defensively minded point guard at Duke?  I have no idea how things are going to shake out, but do not assume that he is going to bench a low-turnover, high defensive effort senior.   Think of it as the Duke way.   
As the Buzz slurping goes on. Buzz Williams way=The Duke way. Thank you for the education Tower.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #83 on: April 08, 2014, 02:21:38 PM »
I highly doubt he won every time. Here's just one more reminder of what he did last year as a Junior! 31 mpg, 5 pts, 4.2 assists, 3.8 rebounds. His defense was overrated (certainly not a game changer) and his shooting numbers were atrocious to be kind. 44% from the line, 39% from the field, and .071% from 3. How you shoot 39% from the field when you shoot from 3 ft in is beyond me. We couldn't and will not win with him playing more than 10 minutes a game.

We actually won 17 games with Derek getting more than 10 minutes a game. And were 4 points short of winning 21 games.

I'm not saying that Derek is all world. What I'm unfortunately saying is that maybe our bench isn't as good as you think it is.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #84 on: April 08, 2014, 02:23:11 PM »
Please point out these posts so I can angrily slurp at them!

In all seriousness, I don't remember reading anything like that besides people who are trying to use the departure of Buzz as proof that the best players rode the bench last season. Which is a huge jump in logic.

And I took your advice and talked to more people close to the program about Duane's redshirt. They still say that there is NOTHING to your claim.
This has been posted by several people. You just do not believe them. believe what you want. Buzz was and is that big of a prick!!!

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #85 on: April 08, 2014, 02:24:48 PM »
We actually won 17 games with Derek getting more than 10 minutes a game. And were 4 points short of winning 21 games.

I'm not saying that Derek is all world. What I'm unfortunately saying is that maybe our bench isn't as good as you think it is.

We were also 5 points away from being a 14 win team. There are many different ways to look at that. The bottom line is we failed to make the tournament and that is how I judge the season.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #86 on: April 08, 2014, 02:29:03 PM »

Yup, forgetting to mention we lost 15 games with your boy Derrick.

Spoken like a true Buuz apologist.

Summed up best by:
Kevin O'neil announcing: MU is playing 4 on 5 out there with that PG
12 year old girl with Dad at MU game: "Daddy why isn't anybody guarding #12 out there?" Dad says daughter knows nothing about basketball.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #87 on: April 08, 2014, 02:31:05 PM »
10 points that Derrick Wilson cant average!

DW averaged 5 a game.  I pointed out that 2 out of the last 3 NC had PG's who averaged 10 a game, not all world offensive minded PG's.  Good lord the thickheadedness around here is contagious.

I swear Ners or Willie created a 2nd Scoop account, just so they could have someone else that would be this hysterical and get wound up so easy.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #88 on: April 08, 2014, 02:35:51 PM »
DW averaged 5 a game.  I pointed out that 2 out of the last 3 NC had PG's who averaged 10 a game, not all world offensive minded PG's.  Good lord the thickheadedness around here is contagious.

I swear Ners or Willie created a 2nd Scoop account, just so they could have someone else that would be this hysterical and get wound up so easy.
Oh boy. Another Buzz/Derrick slurper. Thank you sir, can we get another. And speaking of thickheadedness...well!

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #89 on: April 08, 2014, 02:39:46 PM »

The 2 guys you mentioned were both NBA draft picks, who were elite in other phases of the game. Its not really a fair comparison to Derrick, who has 0% chance to get drafted and is not in he same stratosphere as those guys.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #90 on: April 08, 2014, 02:49:25 PM »
Derrick had comparable numbers to Wojo's at Duke.   If he shows the best understanding of the offensive and defensive principles that Wojo is going to be implementing, he is going to get time.   Can he beat Duane or JD one on one?   I highly doubt it.    Will he be the best game manager for Wojo?    I don't know.   But it is certainly possible.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #91 on: April 08, 2014, 02:52:49 PM »
The 2 guys you mentioned were both NBA draft picks, who were elite in other phases of the game. Its not really a fair comparison to Derrick, who has 0% chance to get drafted and is not in he same stratosphere as those guys.

My original point, was around offensive production, and used one data point of PPG to illustrate that.  

Teague averaged, 10 ppg, 4.8 assists, 2.7 turnovers, shot 41% from the field, 71% from the line, and 32% from 3
Siva averaged: 10 ppg, 5.7 assists, 2.7 turnovers, 40% from the field, 80% from the line, and 28% from 3.

Now, DW: 5ppg, 4.8 assists, 1.5 turnovers, 39% from the field, 44% from the line, and about 7% from 3 (oooff on that one).

Again, a few posters have wound themselves so frackin' tight that they think DW was the source of the majority of our issues this year.  When everyone on the team, doesn't meet our nerd-fan boy expectations (Jamil had a down year, Gardner looked disinterested 1/2 the time, Buzz had numerous shortcomings and, yes DW as well, injuries, and last second transfers)  

And again to my original point about from our friend atk13thst, no you do not need all world offensive minded PG to win a NCAA championship.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #92 on: April 08, 2014, 03:11:02 PM »
Derrick can't shoot a 1, 2 or 3 pointer consistently. . .
He is a total non threat on Offense and Overrated on Defense. . .
Watching him play 20-30 minutes makes MU not even worth the price to park at the Bradley Center. Lets not include game tickets. We pay quality money we want a quality product. Period

tower912

• All American
« Reply #93 on: April 08, 2014, 03:14:35 PM »
So, new coach.   New system.  Limited proven returning scoring.   But if Derrick shows himself to have the best grasp of the offensive and defensive principles, has the trust of the coach, who sees himself in Derrick's game, to be the best on-court manager,  you aren't going to attend the games?     Hmmmm.    Tempting.  

For the record, I think that, as the team is currently configured, Duane or JD will get the majority of the minutes at the 1.    But as always, I am open to the possibilities.   
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 03:18:38 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

reinko

• All American
« Reply #94 on: April 08, 2014, 03:18:38 PM »
Derrick can't shoot a 1, 2 or 3 pointer consistently. . .
He is a total non threat on Offense and Overrated on Defense. . .
Watching him play 20-30 minutes makes MU not even worth the price to park at the Bradley Center. Lets not include game tickets. We pay quality money we want a quality product. Period

Oh, I am sorry chief.  Horrible terrible world you live in where you are forced to buy MU game tickets.  So did Bazz Williams himself, shop up to your house, and at gunpoint shove tickets in your mouth, and hold your family hostage until you finally gave over an AMEX card so you could buy the tickets?

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #95 on: April 08, 2014, 03:29:55 PM »
Oh, I am sorry chief.  Horrible terrible world you live in where you are forced to buy MU game tickets.  So did Bazz Williams himself, shop up to your house, and at gunpoint shove tickets in your mouth, and hold your family hostage until you finally gave over an AMEX card so you could buy the tickets?

Sorry Chief. I dont pay for tickets. But I did pay for parking. If I had to but tickets I prolly wouldnt until after May 2015 when the roster graduates the last of the players who arent division 1 talent.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #96 on: April 08, 2014, 03:33:01 PM »
Sorry Chief. I dont pay for tickets. But I did pay for parking. If I had to but tickets I prolly wouldnt until after May 2015 when the roster graduates the last of the players who arent division 1 talent.

Did you hate Cadougan too? Because DWill is putting up similar numbers.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #97 on: April 08, 2014, 03:33:19 PM »

Daddy's tickets.  Cute.

Here's an idea, if you don't want to pay for parking, there's something called a street to park on.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #98 on: April 08, 2014, 03:33:50 PM »
He would have hated Coach Wojo when he was a player at Duke putting up the same numbers as Derrick. 

reinko

• All American
« Reply #99 on: April 08, 2014, 03:50:41 PM »

Thiw post explains so much about you,  good luck in life.   My guess is that you will certainly need it.