Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Good luck, Buzz  (Read 18297 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Good luck, Buzz
« on: April 02, 2014, 12:01:49 PM »
The last 12 days have been quite an eye opener for me. I have been one of Buzz William's most steadfast backers during his six years at Marquette. His on the court success was undeniable, the greatest seen by my beloved alma mater since the seashells and balloons days of the great Al McGuire. He was also the first coach to come to Marquette since Al who had "it", that difficult to define but easily recognizable quality that allows a man to own any room he enters. Like Al, he mesmerized Warrior fans and then the nation as a whole. "The butcher, the baker, the candlestick maker....." was as riveting as it was moving, a perfect description of his team and it's leader. His personal journey/story and those of some of his players (Jimmy, Chris, etc.) were proof that the American Dream still exists. Somehow in his 60+ hour work weeks he stole enough time to found, nurture and grow the Buzz's Bunch program, a charity that brought joy to hundreds of kids and their families and taught his players lessons of immeasurable value. Along the way he preached that relationships and happiness were more important than money, fame, high profile, etc., a sentiment that earned him praise from Warrior Nation until, gasp, he actually lived it. In January or February of 2012 I shared an unnerving bit of news with the board - an insider who less than a year before had testified to Buzz's happiness and the probability that he could be a Marquette lifer was now reporting that Buzz was very unhappy and could be gone at year's end. Remember that when Buzz said "I'll be here as long as THEY will have me, the "theys" he was referring to were Steve Cottingham and Fr Wild, not LW, Fr Pilarz, Chicos or the BOT. As Marquette fans we can be hurt that Buzz was no longer happy at MU. We can even argue that his salary, the plane, the budget, etc., should have been enough to make him happy. But we can't call him a phony or a hypocrite. A phony or a hypocrite says "It's not about the money, it's not about the fame, it's about the relationships" and then leaves good relationships for strangers, more money and a higher profile. That's not what Buzz did. He took what most would consider a dead end job for less money to leave unhappy behind. He chose relationships (close friend Mick Cronin brokered the deal and vouched for the V Tech AD) and happiness over money and prestige. Just like he always said he would. Some here can't comprehend this, but that's their character flaw, not his. Buzz isn't without fault, though. IMO he needs to grow a thicker skin - I wish it could have happened here. My regrets, though, are outweighed by my gratitude. Thanks, Buzz, for MU's greatest stretch since the 70s. I'll always be a fan. Best of luck, Buzz.

Groin_pull

• All American
Re: Good luck, Buzz
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 12:05:03 PM »
 ::)

reinko

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 12:07:13 PM »
It's spelled, Bazz.

milwaukee ex-pat

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 12:19:28 PM »
Thx so much for posting.  That captures my feelings as well.  Buzz provided so many incredible memories and left MU basketball at a spot as close to the Al days as was humanly possible.  He was and is a sincere guy.  I am not a Chicos basher in general but his sentiments (FU) are so incredibly juvenile.  What a sad thing for him that he could not derive the full enjoyment of the last six years.  When Crean left and no one wanted the job to an Al like run with incredible personalities, individual stories, boot camp the reliance on character over just win.  It was a great ride.  Personally would have liked Howland (which btw proves the MU head coaching gig HAS moved beyond the stepping stone status at least for a potential hall of fame coach) but like very much what I have seen from Wojo.

Go Warriors! And G*d bless Buzz - keep going for happy over the less worthwhile things in life.   

Shack

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 12:21:17 PM »
No sympathy for a guy that created his own unhappiness.  He seems like a guy that can't take criticism or accountability.  When the going gets tough...Buzz skips town.  If anything he's a fraud for spewing that bs about being mentally tough and resilient.  He should have apologized for the past two years and said "I promise to do better and I will do better"  End of story.  But that would have been too hard for Buzz.  It's easier just to quit and start over somewhere else where they won't expect anything from me.  If it works out great I can skip town to Texas and if not I can blame the situation I walked into just like UNO.  He's a weak individual.  Glad he's not here - no respect for him or whatever bs stories he tells about his poor upbringing.  He's not mentally tough enough to be a leader.  

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 12:23:44 PM »
Thx so much for posting.  That captures my feelings as well.  Buzz provided so many incredible memories and left MU basketball at a spot as close to the Al days as was humanly possible.  He was and is a sincere guy.  I am not a Chicos basher in general but his sentiments (FU) are so incredibly juvenile.  What a sad thing for him that he could not derive the full enjoyment of the last six years.  When Crean left and no one wanted the job to an Al like run with incredible personalities, individual stories, boot camp the reliance on character over just win.  It was a great ride.  Personally would have liked Howland (which btw proves the MU head coaching gig HAS moved beyond the stepping stone status at least for a potential hall of fame coach) but like very much what I have seen from Wojo.

Go Warriors! And G*d bless Buzz - keep going for happy over the less worthwhile things in life.  
No one questions what Buzz did at MU. He was remarkable, plain and simple. HOWEVER, he managed to somewhat tarnish his stay in one season with a series of unfortunate and peculiar decisions that are looking more and more like they were made for selfish reasons. So yes, thank you for the five great years, and not so much for what you did this year and your unsolicited parting comments.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 12:25:52 PM »
No sympathy for a guy that created his own unhappiness.  He seems like a guy that can't take criticism or accountability.  When the going gets tough...Buzz skips town.  If anything he's a fraud for spewing that bs about being mentally tough and resilient.  He should have apologized for the past two years and said "I promise to do better and I will do better"  End of story.  But that would have been too hard for Buzz.  It's easier just to quit and start over somewhere else where they won't expect anything from me.  If it works out great I can skip town to Texas and if not I can blame the situation I walked into just like UNO.  He's a weak individual.  Glad he's not here - no respect for him or whatever bs stories he tells about his poor upbringing.  He's not mentally tough enough to be a leader.  

Precisely.

milwaukee ex-pat

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 12:32:58 PM »
No questions what Buzz did at MU. He was remarkable, plain and simple. HOWEVER, he managed to somewhat tarnish his stay in one season with a series of unfortunate and peculiar decisions that are looking more and more like they were made for selfish reasons. So yes, thank you for the five great years, and not so much for what you did this year and your unsolicited parting comments.

Fair.

WarriorDoc

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 12:37:11 PM »

One of the best posts I've seen on here.  Buzz won at MU, no denying that.  But for all his talk about accountability, toughness, and "earning the right to make shots", I can only think that Buzz had his character revealed, and it's all talk.

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 12:38:36 PM »
 He should have apologized for the past two years and said "I promise to do better and I will do better"
He should apologize for an Elite 8 run?

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 12:39:49 PM »
He should apologize for an Elite 8 run?

No, but he should for some behind-the-scenes situations.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 12:41:46 PM »
One of the best posts I've seen on here.  Buzz won at MU, no denying that.  But for all his talk about accountability, toughness, and "earning the right to make shots", I can only think that Buzz had his character revealed, and it's all talk.

What does this mean?

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2014, 12:51:52 PM »
No, but he should for some behind-the-scenes situations.

Well, if specific information about wrongdoing by him becomes public then i will join you in expecting an apology. I would even appreciate an apology/explanation for underperforming this year, even though it isnt necessary - all teams have down years. But do people really think they are owed a blanket apology for an unspecified list of non-public transgressions?

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2014, 12:56:10 PM »
Regardless of all the other things/issues, in both Crean's and now Buzz's cases, they had made their contribution to MU and it was time to move on.  Thank them for their efforts, wish them well, then don't give them another thought and support the new guy!  Here's hoping Wojo can raise the program yet another notch.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

NBBomber

• Walk-On
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2014, 12:58:31 PM »

+1,000.000

Shack

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2014, 01:00:56 PM »
What does this mean?

It means to look in the mirror when you screw up and do some self evaluation rather and improve your weaknesses.  

Examples -  Sexual assault case two years ago.  Probably shouldn't have covered it up from the police and acted shocked when a new President and AD put you and your staff under the miscroscope.

--- You recruit a bunch of talent to come here but isolate them and the fans by giving their minutes to players that don't give you the best chance to win.  Don't get sad and sulk when people who pay your salaries question you why.

----  Your rotations and coaching led to a 17-15.  Don't throw your hands up in the air like a kid who strikes out in little league and take your ball and go to Virginia Tech.

---- Most importantly don't blame the conference for being weak for your failures.  Try dominating like Wichita State did if we were so mid major.  Reminds me of the White Stripes Song - Effect and Cause...."You're like a little girl yelling at his brother cause you lost his ball"

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2014, 01:01:39 PM »
Well, if specific information about wrongdoing by him becomes public then i will join you in expecting an apology. I would even appreciate an apology/explanation for underperforming this year, even though it isnt necessary - all teams have down years. But do people really think they are owed a blanket apology for an unspecified list of non-public transgressions?

This. Some of the crap on this board (MU under NCAA investigation, tanking the season, squirming from guys who just weeks before were telling everyone they loved Buzz, etc.) the last ten days has been unbelievable.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2014, 01:17:50 PM »
It means to look in the mirror when you screw up and do some self evaluation rather and improve your weaknesses.  

Examples -  Sexual assault case two years ago.  Probably shouldn't have covered it up from the police and acted shocked when a new President and AD put you and your staff under the miscroscope.

--- You recruit a bunch of talent to come here but isolate them and the fans by giving their minutes to players that don't give you the best chance to win.  Don't get sad and sulk when people who pay your salaries question you why.

----  Your rotations and coaching led to a 17-15.  Don't throw your hands up in the air like a kid who strikes out in little league and take your ball and go to Virginia Tech.

---- Most importantly don't blame the conference for being weak for your failures.  Try dominating like Wichita State did if we were so mid major.  Reminds me of the White Stripes Song - Effect and Cause...."You're like a little girl yelling at his brother cause you lost his ball"

1. Buzz "covered up" sexual assault from the police? WTF are you smoking?
2. He and even any casual observer knew he had a better chance to win on the bench but he ignored it, intentionally throwing games? WTF are you smoking?
3. You're the one being childish here.
4. Where or when did Buzz blame the conference for this year's 17 -15 record?

You sound very angry. It's clouding your powers of reasoning.

Shack

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2014, 01:19:57 PM »
This. Some of the crap on this board (MU under NCAA investigation, tanking the season, squirming from guys who just weeks before were telling everyone they loved Buzz, etc.) the last ten days has been unbelievable.

Ok Lenny fair enough.  Question though, given what you know now about Buzz -- would you hire him for the job today if he wanted it?  

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2014, 01:20:24 PM »
Regardless of all the other things/issues, in both Crean's and now Buzz's cases, they had made their contribution to MU and it was time to move on.  Thank them for their efforts, wish them well, then don't give them another thought and support the new guy!  Here's hoping Wojo can raise the program yet another notch.

Well said.
Thread should have stopped here.

BenCat12

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2014, 01:21:19 PM »
Yet there were others, like myself, who questioned him for quite some time.  Always thought he was a below average coach when it came to x's and o's and player development.  Both of those aspects were proven time and again this past season.  I also have not been a fan of some of the players he has brought in either.  Their seemed to be constant whispers about player conduct, suspensions, grades, transfers, etc.... Say what you want about TC, but there weren't nearly the amount of questionable characters here when he was coach.  I believe the administration noticed this as well, thus Buzz is gone and a squeaky clean guy like WOJO is brought in.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the tournament success, but it was hard to cheer for certain guys in this program during Buzz's tenure.  I am thankful he is gone and I am excited about the WOJO era.  The departing of Buzz has reinvigorated me as a MU fan.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2014, 01:22:13 PM »

Lenny, everyone has their thoughts, let it roll, but you never mentioned the most important factor.

What made Buzz so unhappy?  Not too long ago, he was an assistant making as much as a manager at McDonalds.  

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2014, 01:29:34 PM »
No one questions what Buzz did at MU. He was remarkable, plain and simple. HOWEVER, he managed to somewhat tarnish his stay in one season with a series of unfortunate and peculiar decisions that are looking more and more like they were made for selfish reasons. So yes, thank you for the five great years, and not so much for what you did this year and your unsolicited parting comments.
   Yep. Buzz checked out in year 6, he knew he was leaving, one way or the other and that is on him as much as the first 5 were to his credit.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2014, 01:59:24 PM »
I've been on a self imposed vacation from Scoop, but I feel like Lenny's post was important enough for me to come back and comment.

I agree with the general sentiment of wishing Buzz good luck. No sour grapes from me.

I honestly believe that he will do well. He'll get a bunch of scrappy JUCOs and transfers, and he'll coach them up, and pull his share of upsets. It's the perfect setting for Buzz.

However, Lenny, I think you are actually making this whole thing too complex and too nuanced.

#1 Buzz is a basketball mercenary.
It's who he is. He'll do well at (insert school), and he'll move on when he wants to. He's a professional in the truest sense. He coaches basketball for money. If he doesn't like the job, he'll move on. When he gets another job, he'll put that school's pin on his jacket, change his twitter picture, and BOOM, he's a new man! It's who he is. NOTE: THIS DOESN'T MAKE HIM A BAD PERSON OR MEAN FANS SHOULDN'T LIKE HIM. 

#2 Buzz has a schtick. He plays dumb a lot (he's not dumb), he likes to paint himself and his team as underdogs constantly. He talks about family, faith, etc. It's not an "act", but it's not an accident either. He's very calculated in how he presents himself, and how he is perceived. NOTE: THIS DOESN'T MAKE HIM A BAD PERSON OR MEAN FANS SHOULDN'T LIKE HIM.

If we all accept these 2 things, then everything else will just fall away. "Mess with happy", "it factor", "relationships", "dead end job" whatever you want. It can all be answered by remembering 2 things:

Buzz is a basketball mercenary. Buzz has a coaching schtick. And there is nothing wrong with that.

Best of luck, coach Williams.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2014, 02:00:38 PM »

Sums up my thoughts well.

feedback